Can Fiorina be stopped?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:52:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can Fiorina be stopped?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Can Fiorina be stopped?  (Read 5635 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »

His relatively greater name recognition helps, but I imagine the no-compromise Beck-fanatic types would just state themselves as undecided in a race between Campbell & two unknowns. The bleed-off that Campbell experienced to Fiorina recently suggests to me that there are a lot of California Republicans who are "conservatives open to compromise". They would prefer a candidate that shares their values, but have no qualms about supporting a moderate Republican over a liberal Democrat.

Then again, the sheer badness of some of Fiorina's spots makes me question the sense of that hypothesis. I could never vote for Fiorina for Senate if for no other reason than that her thinking that it's a good idea to parade around her endorsement by Palin makes me seriously question her intelligence. It might help her win the primary, but it would help ensure her defeat in November. It is sort of like being on a galleon lost in the Arctic Circle & burning your mast to keep warm. Sure you may do a little better in the extreme short-term, but you have essentially guaranteed your death in the long-term.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »

As I mentioned on another thread, I sent Campbell a $500 contribution. What I did not say is that when I made the contribution on his website,  I sent him a personal note. Tonight I received a reply back from the man himself. Among other things, Tom said that he did not recall that he was smarter than I was. Tongue

As I said, and say again, Campbell is a fundamentally decent human being. I like him, and more importantly, I trust him.
I watched one of Campbell's speeches and he's basically a more prominent version of you haha. Everything that he talked about in the speech is something that you would post on here. It was so odd. I have no idea how somebody like Campbell can still draw support in a Republican primary. Honestly, I wouldn't mind voting for him.

The CAGOP has its share of crazies, but it's still much better than people give it credit for. To be honest, I wouldn't mind being a member of the Republican Party if the national party were more like the Californian party.

Wait, what?

The CAGOP is one of the craziest Republican Parties in America.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »

As I mentioned on another thread, I sent Campbell a $500 contribution. What I did not say is that when I made the contribution on his website,  I sent him a personal note. Tonight I received a reply back from the man himself. Among other things, Tom said that he did not recall that he was smarter than I was. Tongue

As I said, and say again, Campbell is a fundamentally decent human being. I like him, and more importantly, I trust him.
I watched one of Campbell's speeches and he's basically a more prominent version of you haha. Everything that he talked about in the speech is something that you would post on here. It was so odd. I have no idea how somebody like Campbell can still draw support in a Republican primary. Honestly, I wouldn't mind voting for him.

The CAGOP has its share of crazies, but it's still much better than people give it credit for. To be honest, I wouldn't mind being a member of the Republican Party if the national party were more like the Californian party.

Wait, what?

The CAGOP is one of the craziest Republican Parties in America.

Based on what?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »

Stopping Carly now appears more problematical than ever, now that Campbell has pulled his TV ads and gone dark, at least for today. He may be back up on the tube later. I guess my $500 was insufficient. Sad

So, it is becoming also mandatory now (unless you are Jerry Brown), that in order to run for statewide office in California, you have a minimum net worth of about 100 million (as both our Senators and governor now do, along with some of the lesser statewide office holders).  Ain't that great?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »

This type of move means Campbell is doneski.  The polling said the same, but eh, whatever.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »

..and Barbara Boxer is reelected once the boxing gloves get put on.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »

I still don't understand how a race can go from being Campbell by 10% to Fiorina by 25% in two weeks.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »

I still don't understand how a race can go from being Campbell by 10% to Fiorina by 25% in two weeks.

Millions and millions of dollars.  Every time Campbell struggles with a major ad buy lately, Fiorina writes herself another seven figure check.

You can thank your asshole NRSC too for rallying behind an unelectable clown.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »

Stopping Carly now appears more problematical than ever, now that Campbell has pulled his TV ads and gone dark, at least for today. He may be back up on the tube later. I guess my $500 was insufficient. Sad

So, it is becoming also mandatory now (unless you are Jerry Brown), that in order to run for statewide office in California, you have a minimum net worth of about 100 million (as both our Senators and governor now do, along with some of the lesser statewide office holders).  Ain't that great?

It seems a natural consequence of having a state with several expensive media markets. How can petit bourgeoisie like Tom Campbell possibly hope to compete with the vast sums of money that random former CEOs have lying around. I suppose the big winners in California this election cycle will be the television station owners, who are making windfall profits off of insanely rich self-funders. Imagine how much more money Fiorina will toss their way this Fall than Campbell would have.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2010, 12:43:33 PM by Torie »

A slight ray of sunshine appears as Campbell is apparently going back up on the air on Friday, with an ad (which you can access at the link) touting the poll showing him running about 12 points better against Boxer than Fiorina.

Meanwhile, presumably hundreds of thousands of voters a day are now casting their absentee mail in ballots in California. You're cutting it a bit close Tom.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2010, 01:37:14 PM by Lunar »

Never seen someone talking about polls in ads before.  I'm not convinced that's a winning ad, but it's not bad.

https://donate.campbell.org/initiative/beatboxer
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

Really? Halter did it in his first runoff ad, I believe. And Conway did it in one of his last primary ads, along with a bunch of endorsements he got.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »

Really? Halter did it in his first runoff ad, I believe. And Conway did it in one of his last primary ads, along with a bunch of endorsements he got.

Ah, missed both of those.  But really, the poll is the #1 focus of the ad.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »

Never seen someone talking about polls in ads before.  I'm not convinced that's a winning ad, but it's not bad.

That is pretty good. If, gun to my head, I had to vote for Campbell or Fiorina, I'd take Campbell in a heart beat.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 01:15:28 AM »

You can thank your asshole NRSC too for rallying behind an unelectable clown.

The NRSC doesn't think anyone can win the seat but because California has a magical appeal to Republicans, they have to pretend to contest the seat.  If Fiorina is the nominee, she can finance the race and the NRSC gets to pretend they are contesting when really they aren't.  With Campbell, they'd have to spend money in California that they'd rather spend on Indiana and Arkansas.

Their short-sightedness has been on display over and over again in this cycle (See: Crist, Charlie).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »

Why did the undecideds break for Fiorina so hard?  Was it because of Fiorina's ads?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 01:26:41 AM »

Why did the undecideds break for Fiorina so hard?  Was it because of Fiorina's ads?

The undecideds weren't going to break for the guy who isn't completely insane. It was either her or DeVore.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 01:30:04 AM »

The undecideds weren't going to break for the guy who isn't completely insane. It was either her or DeVore.

Oh crap, I didn't even realize Campbell is out.  Sorry, I was under a rock for the past 3 days.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 04:48:01 AM »

Oh crap, I didn't even realize Campbell is out.  Sorry, I was under a rock for the past 3 days.

He's not.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »

That is pretty good. If, gun to my head, I had to vote for Campbell or Fiorina, I'd take Campbell in a heart beat.

Campbell's problem is that if you have to put a gun to someone's head to get them to vote, they're pretty much not going to vote. Carlymentum!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »

He's not.

Spill the beans!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »

He's not.

Spill the beans!

Campbell went dark on the media for a couple of days, when his campaign cash got short. He is back on the air now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 01:05:15 AM »

Vote early and often Torie Smiley (friendly tip from Illinois!)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 02:02:05 PM by Torie »

Vote early and often Torie Smiley (friendly tip from Illinois!)

Well I did the first bit. I mailed in my absentee ballot last Tuesday. I think intrade gives Campbell about 3% odds or something. It all sucks. To add to the misery, the GOP seems trying its best to re-elect Reid. Just why voters are so irrational escapes me.

Meanwhile, DeVore gets pretty specific about why he thinks Fiorina will be shredded in November, if she wins the nomination. Think HP of course. The quality of his analysis degrades a bit when it comes to his reasoning as to why he thinks he is in the hunt to win the nomination: it's because the GOP primary turnout will be so low, that it will be dominated by tea partiers, with respect to which he is the chosen one. DeVore does spare us his analysis as to why after the tea partiers save the day for him, while "RINO's" like me don't vote at all, he can beat Boxer.

Here are a couple of DeVore zingers:

"I don't think it will be one single firestorm," DeVore said. "I'm picturing a long, slow trainwreck."

"What's frustrated me about people supporting Fiorina is that they're looking at all sizzle and no steak," ... . [This one rips off Mondale's where's the beef thingy]

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »

Field poll

Fiorina 37 (22)
Campbell 22 (28)
DeVore 19 (9)

That's a lot of change since March.