Should I move to Canada? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:38:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should I move to Canada? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should I move to Canada?  (Read 8580 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: March 14, 2004, 04:18:23 PM »

I've been considering a move to suburban Toronto for a few years now.  There are many arguments for an against the move.

For:

-Politics (Left of the US)
-Pot (Decriminalized)
-Money (I would be very well-to-do in Canada with the conversion rate and all)
-Friends (draft dodgers my dad knew still live up there to this day)

against:

-Taxes (higher % taxes)
-Friends (most of my friends remain here in greater NYC)
-I have lived in NY all my life

----

What should I do?

I certainly wouldn't move there because of the politics.  If you have another valid reason to live there, like a good job opportunity, then it may be worth considering.

I don't think your dad's friends are a good reason to move there.  Parents' friends are not a good substitute for your own friends.

The cost of living there from what I hear is high, which could negate the financial benefits that you think you're going to get.  If you really want to be well-to-do, you could take your money and move to a nice part of the south, or in a more extreme case, to Mexico or someplace like that.

One thing against Toronto would be the weather.  It is much colder than the NY metro area.  The NY weather that is comparable is Rochester or Buffalo, and I've been there in the winter.  It would take a lot of getting used to.

I hear Toronto's a great city, but I would only move there for a great job opportunity.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies