London Mayoral Election 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:19:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  London Mayoral Election 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: London Mayoral Election 2012  (Read 52152 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »

So can anyone explain why Boris won while Labour took over the assembly. Livingstones appeal to Muslims?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »

So can anyone explain why Boris won while Labour took over the assembly.

Roughly half this thread has been taken over by the question of Livingstone's likely underperformance.

But, basically, Johnson is personally popular (not because of anything he's done as Mayor, but because of his carefully crafted media image that made him a celebrity ages ago), which is about half of it. The other half is Livingstone's personal failings combining with certain political miscalculations and the usual issues that come with a career stretching back four decades. Given the narrow margin, we can be fairly sure that it was the tax thing that did him in.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

So can anyone explain why Boris won while Labour took over the assembly. Livingstones appeal to Muslims?

Because the mayoral election's a personality contest and the majority of Londoners prefer Boris. And Ken was a crap candidate. Labour did well in the assembly totally in spite of Ken.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

Sibboleth has it right. To re-emphasise Boris is far and away more popular than the Conservatives, and as such, if it were Boris x26 Labour would struggle taking over the assembly.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. I will go back and read the entire thread at some point. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »

From the Grauniad Diary:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

Wonder who'll run for Labour in 2016...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

Some people are seriously suggesting that it should be Alan Sugar....
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »

Oh crap.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »

By which point he'll be 69 and will (still) have never run for office in his life. Don't see it.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »

Hopefully there'd be a vote Labour, but not Alan Sugar campaign if so.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »

I can't think of anyone really, some said Alan Johnson should've gone for it this time, some people will inevitably start throwing Chukka Umana's name about, but I think he's after bigger fish.

Claude Moraes MEP is a name that comes up now and then, but hes a bit of an unknown
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

if it is a multibillionaire entrepreneur then you should seriously consider stop calling yourselves the Labour Party.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »

if it is a multibillionaire entrepreneur then you should seriously consider stop calling yourselves the Labour Party.

To be fair to him, you could argue he's a case of "social mobility" or something.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2012, 03:47:45 PM by freefair »

Labour needs some people like Sugar (who is a former Tory donor) to be in the party for them to be credible, representative and prove that the party isn't just about aiding the least successful.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »

Labour needs people like Sugar (who is a former Tory donor) to be in the party for them to be credible, representative and prove that the party isn't just about aiding the least successful.

I agree with this as well
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »

Labour needs people like Sugar (who is a former Tory donor) to be in the party for them to be credible, representative and prove that the party isn't just about aiding the least successful.

lol
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »

I don't know if Sugar actually ever gave money to the Tories; he was generally listed as supportive in the 1980s and endorsed Major in 1992 (but only after praising some elements of Labour's economic policies (!) IIRC) but he doesn't seem to have been an especially political animal until Blair. Odd man, but not actually any kind of politician.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2012, 04:45:24 PM by Leftbehind »

Pretty much.

Even if he is a case of 'social mobility' that's just liberal nonsense that justifies wide inequality between classes on the basis that some leave it. The man ranks among Digby Jones as people who should never have been employed by the Labour party.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

To be fair to him, you could argue he's a case of "social mobility" or something.

"Socially mobile" when it goes one way, "class traitor" when it goes the other... Mind you, I've always thought that phrase particularly hateful when bandied about by Labor (Labour? I don't know if they use it but it sounds more British than Australian, so I'd assume that's where it originated).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »

There has pretty much always been a small number of very rich people* who have supported (both in the normal sense, and also sometimes financially) the Labour Party. There's a tendency for them to see themselves as outsiders in some sense, which often translates as being from a minority group or a working class background (Julian Hodge is a particularly good example of the latter). I'm not sure what that says about the right of the Party to call itself Labour, especially given the 'interesting' financial affairs of many of the various small left-of-Labour parties over the decades...

*Even in the late 1930s there was a small group of City financiers who would discretely meet Labour Party economists on a regular basis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

George Strauss and Sir Stafford Cripps make a "group"? (No, I suppose there were more. Cheesy )
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »

Not that I agree with the idea that rich people should be unwelcome in the Labour Party (provided they genuinely support what it stands for, including recognition that it may not be personally short-term beneficial for them), but 'aiding the least successful' is hardly a bad thing for a party to be about, considering that 'successful' typically translates into 'fortunate'.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2012, 06:12:55 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 07:10:08 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

Sugar supported scrapping the 50p tax rate, fyi.  I also really hope it's not David Lammy.  Or the Blairite warmonger Oona King.  I've also heard a bit about Stella Creasy, but I think she should keep rising in the house of commons (she seems just as bright as Chuka and Rachel Reeves, if not more so). 
Some other names that are mentioned:

Jon Cruddas (good compromise if they want someone left-wing but also honest)

Sadiq Khan-Could loose his seat after the boundary changes if he ends up loosing Labour's selection to Chuka Umunna (something in my gut tells me the latter will win). 

Steve Reed-Has implemented huge budget cuts as Lambeth Council leader, though his decentralization model has been talked up as a left-wing alternative to the Big Society.  Meh. 

And Eddie Izzard is also being talked about.  Dunno exactly what his views are besides being a Labour supporter, or whether Londoners will think he has the experience to do it. 

Harriet Harman and Rushanara Ali also seem like good candidates.  Of course, I'd like it if someone like Jeremy Corbyn ran and won just to force the Labour leadership to shift left, but that won't happen in a million years. 
Memo to London Labour: PLEASE don't pick some Blairite idiot just because you're afraid of shooting yourself in the foot with someone like Livingstone again!  Aka No to Sugar, Lammy, King, or Reed.

Boardbashi edits: careful now.
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »

I hope they release ward data again this time, last time I created a map, assigning wards based on the total vote by borough and giving smaller parties their best wards, I never uploaded it here though and hard disk failures mean I've lost it

Ward data now available on the London Elects website (I'm too much a newbie to post links).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies