Who will be banned first? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:58:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who will be banned first? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will be banned first?
Libertas

HoffmanJohn

Neither will be

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Who will be banned first?  (Read 4908 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »

Up to Dave, really. In theory Libertas is in a tighter position, but we'll see.

Libertas may be closer to a ban in terms of raw distance, but HoffmanJohn is much closer when you take into account acceleration and speed
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »

Why not try another political board?  It's not like this is the only one out there.  If Dave's policies are that depressing to you?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »

Why not try another political board?  It's not like this is the only one out there.  If Dave's policies are that depressing to you?

Lunar, c'mon, this is HOME to a lot of posters........Kids don't like it when there are too many rules at home.

I support the Jihad against socks, trolls and spammers, and I'll live with the other nitpicking.  Plus we're used to Alcon's style for soooooooo long it takes a bit to get used to the change.

Fair enough.  I can only speak towards my own boards here, but anyone who finds this place home who can refrain from over-the-top personal attacks, is extremely unlikely to be legitimately inconvenienced by our regime. 

My response was to Opebo's over-the-top claim about how awful we all are.  If it's that awful, there are other places to go.  Dave Leip sets the rules and appoints the moderators, why not try out another place if this is THAT bad?

The vast majority of our attention is focused on trolls, spammers, and socks.  

And, we're only human
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »

Hoffman will be gone by this week.

Dammit! Only one more day to go and then I'm wrong. Angry

Dave has been focused on a major security breach fwiw, that couldn't have been predicted.  He's had no time to deal with anything else.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »

Hj was banned.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »

Spamming the forum while threatening the forum's security, with rather intense trolling on the side, I would summarize.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »

Spamming the forum while threatening the forum's security, with rather intense trolling on the side, I would summarize.

But anyway congratulations on the chilling effect - very effective.

I've never seen a single post of yours reported, while I've seen probably around 40+ of HJ's.  As long as you continue doing what you're doing, I don't see how you could experience a chilling effect.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »

But anyway congratulations on the chilling effect - very effective.

I've never seen a single post of yours reported, while I've seen probably around 40+ of HJ's.  As long as you continue doing what you're doing, I don't see how you could experience a chilling effect.

Well thanks for saying so.  I did have 3 posts reported, I forget what for.  

But you have to remember that since the New Regime I have self edited to a very cautious degree.  I used to call people 'simpleton' more often than not, among other things.  While I only spoke the truth, it would get me disappeared now.

I can only think of one poster who's been banned purely for personal attacks, and they went more towards calling people degenerate filths of human being seeking their jewess bitches, rather than simpleton

There's somewhere between a 0% and -100% chance that anything would happen to you.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2010, 02:38:34 PM by Lunar »

Well, that sucks. Moderators should really be urging him a bit to free us from some idiots. Or maybe the best thing would b to modify the banning procedure : don't know... A majority vote from the Mod community ?

There's a little urging that goes on from time to time, to say things lightly.  I'm half-surprised Mikado hasn't copied some of my recent, very elaborate posts over to the Comedy Goldmine (he should be careful not to include any references to non-banned posters if he does).

The banning procedure is being modified a bit so that severity of infraction can be taken into account (petty insults and profanity will be worth, whatever, a tenth of someone being intentionally destructive), I'm still not 100% how it'll work.  I'll try and make it transparent when I figure it out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2010, 10:08:07 PM by Lunar »

His threat against the forum is contained within this thread.  As in all cases of moderators having to delete, in this case many many dozens of threads, to avoid one poster from spamming a particular board with ten threads a day, we have to devote seemingly endless amounts of hours to prevent an individual from flooding a board and completely taking it over.

Inevitably the worst gets deleted before you see it

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, and you've never failed to complain, but it helps to perhaps know that 1) we only enforce Dave's rules, not our own, and 2) the very worst stuff gets deleted very quickly and Dave himself, in fairly unprecedented occasions deleted hj's retarded people voting thread and his masturbation thread where the moderators were too slow to act.  I've really never seen Dave intervene on moderators' boards who were too slow to act before HJ, and this is his forum, run on his dime.  I believe very strongly in the banning, and I'm not trying to pass the buck, but the owner of this forum is allowed to make his decisions.

What for you may be a moment's whim can be for us, forty hours of involuntary labor, involuntary in the sense that our jobs, which we signed up for, require us to engage in overtime, regardless of whether or not you or I feel it should or should not be across the line.  I know HJ's flooding of my two boards took probably fifteen hours of my life away, and I do think his flooding had to stop.

If you have such a fundamental disagreement that someone, contacted multiple times by moderators, and begged to quit attacking the system, should be given a free-pass to increase his spam flood of topics, you're always free to try other forums or administer a complaint about particular rules.  Any specific complaints about individual actions, of course, are welcome.  You're of course, free to exist here as long as you want and disagree with the rulings as well.

But just because one out of ten threads that we DON'T delete, proves mildly interesting, doesn't mean that the nine threads in the past hour on that same board we had to delete were unwarranted. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:02:40 PM »

What were some of his super-terrible posts that were almost instantly deleted?

I mean, he posted about a thousand generic "Rand Paul" topics on my board in one day, as one of the worst cases of flooding, despite direct requests to consolidate them and the obvious witnessing of the last ten of his topics being locked with posts by me begging him to stop?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

Lunar, you can't seriously say that different mods don't enforce different rules on different boards here.

If you bring up any specific examples in PM's or publicly, I'm sure the moderators in question would gladly either justify their decisions for you under some sort of rational metric or reverse their decisions under retrospection.  I've made decisions that I've regretted immediately, and I've made decisions that, upon reflection, were incorrect.  I'm only human, and I hear other moderators may be human too.  Try contacting them, and, if they are complete assholes, try contacting another moderator or post publicly the rejection of your complaint.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »

Let's put it more simply for y'all:  If HJ wasn't going to be banned, I would have resigned from being a moderator.  His flooding of my forum was so intense that on multiple occasions, where my boss could see my computer screen, I was forced to pretend to go to the bathroom just to use my mobile to delete & lock his flood of threads.  I mean, I deleted probably about 100 of his threads in the last two months just on my two boards for either being repetitive or off-topic [not for content at all].  I don't know what the other moderators had to deal with, but for me, it was an intense experience that I would have been forced to resign under should that have been accepted as the status quo.

You can agree or disagree, but really, the question for me was whether or not I could maintain my ideal of generic sanity on my two boards.  That's what I aim for, it's not about whether I disagree or agree with what you're trying to say, and I'd like to think I have little bias in that regard.  And I begged him to switch directions, in PM's, public statements, contacting his roommate, and publicly posted PM's.

So, yeah, as I said above, what for you may be an slightly amusing, unoffensive thread, may be for me five hours of thankless effort of getting rid of the opposite.  While I can sympathize with the anarchic view that everything should be allowed, no matter what, that's not what this forum is, has ever been, or will be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies