What's your/your family military background? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:25:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your/your family military background? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your/your family military background?  (Read 2571 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: June 03, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »

Serious thread for a balance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »

In my family recently:

My great-grandfather fought in the 1920 Polish-Bolsheviks War and recalled that, as he served in one of the first Polish armored units, they once destroyed the entire Soviet calvary squad with just two tankettes (they thought it's a field kitched and well...). Later, the same great-grandfather fought in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 and was taken POW.

Other great-grandfather fought in the Russian Civil War on the losing side (Whites). I don't know much details beside that was the reason he setteled down in Poland. Later he participated briefly in 1939 Defense war and was taken POW too.

Other great-grandfather served in the late 19th century in Russian Imperial army during peacetime.

And yet other great-grandfather, who actually never served in military, but during German occupation he was a some prominent member of the Delegature to the Country (a body established by the Government in exile to oversee the underground state) and continued work in the intelligence (recently, I just found out he was employee of the intelligence since 1920s actually. What he was doing then beside being professor and Gymnasium principal in the Eastern Poland? Dunno.

As of next generation. Sister of my grandfather (the same I mentioned in other thread) was a nurse during Warsaw Uprising and was executed, at age of 15, by Nazis in first week. Their half-brother of grandfather was a Home Army foot soldier during uprising and was eventually taken POW as well. My grandfather, as the youngest, just served 2 years of compulsory service in peacetime after the war.

Two of my grandmother brothers served in the Peasants Battalions during the war. Other brother participated in the Warsaw Uprising as well.

My other grandfather never was drafted and just did some duty in peacetime after the war (and following graduation from the Polytechnique) on a basis smilliar to military service in Switzerland, retiring with lieutenant rank.

My father, well, resisted the draft successfully and given the fact he would be drafter when General Jaruzelski ruined the christmas and declared martial law, who's suprised? 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »

I've played Call of Duty, Hearts of Iron, and Battlefield 1942

As well as Worms Armageddon

I won three campaignes in the Operation Flashpoint.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »

Father's father - World War II, 3rdID, Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts
Mother's Father - Serves in the Marine Reserves. Was stationed in Cuba during the Korean War.

Myself - Still active Army. Two deployments to Iraq, with 2 Bronze Stars.  Working in recruiting right now.

FF, literally.

Sorry dude, I'm supporting opposing side.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:48:55 PM »

I was one year in the Bundeswehr and made there nothing special. I was only 80-90 KM stationed from home and slept the most of the time at home Wink

You should've been wait for Koehler new vision Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies