69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:51:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 69% of the UK public support more gun regulations  (Read 5286 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »

Not having the police armed would be cool really. Of course that would never happen here, considering the Minneapolis PD have to wear bulletproof vests when patrolling for traffic violations.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »

Britons are free to live without the constant threat of being murdered by a gun, either by a criminal or a thuggish policeman.

Such as the people killed a few days ago by the taxi driver? Sure their murder rate is lower, but I'm not sold on the idea that guns/murder rate is the only relevant corelation.

Yes, and we have 300 million people as well.

Don't see how that's relevant to the murder rate though.

Reminds me of a Swedish commercial.

"But dad, there is only 10% alcohol in it, and we're four persons that are going to share it, that means it's only 2,5% alcohol for each of us, and that's the same amount as the Low-alcohol beer you had for lunch."

"Don't let your teens fool you into buying them alcohol. Read more at www.systembolaget.se"

Wow, even we don't have commercials like that. Why is so Sweden so prudish?

Does remind me though of that idiot lady campaigning against Dungeons and Dragons in the 80s. There was once an interview with her that basically went like this:

Her: ...and it's also luring more people toward Satanism, I'd estimate that around 8% of the population of Richmond, VA (her hometown) are now Satanists.
Interviewer: How do you figure that?
Her: Well from what I've seen I'd estimate that around 4% of teens and young adults are Satanists and it looks like around 4% of older adults are Satanists now too. Together that adds up to 8%.
Interviewer: No, statistically that would still only be 4%.
Her: Well it doesn't matter because 4% is a rather conservative estimate anyway.

(People actually took this woman seriously for a few years. WTF 80s?)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »

I don't hate freedom. Quite the opposite. I support the freedom for people to walk the streets safely without the fear of a nutter going round shooting people up.
Do you really think people in America are afraid to walk the streets for fear of being shot?

Suburbanites basically are. They seem to think cities are basically daily gun battles and residents have to wear bullet proof vests to survive.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »

UK-style gun laws would never ever work in the US. States would waste millions trying to enforce them unsuccessfully and a lot more cops would be killed than are now ("from my cold, dead hands" being such a popular bumper sticker slogan.) You can't compare it to countries like Japan or the UK where there is simply very little interest in guns and gun culture to begin with. You can't eradicate gun culture through laws. It'd be about as successful as current US alcohol laws have been in preventing minors and 18-20 year olds from drinking alcohol.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies