69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:48:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 69% of the UK public support more gun regulations  (Read 5296 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: June 04, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »

I love how the answer to every problem is always more laws.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »

I love how the answer to every problem is always more laws.

You have an alternative solution? Let me hear it.

Yes actually. Do nothing at all. How often does this kind of thing happen? Does it really require hysteria about making sure guns are tougher to get?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:41:48 AM »

Britons are free to live without the constant threat of being murdered by a gun, either by a criminal or a thuggish policeman.

Such as the people killed a few days ago by the taxi driver? Sure their murder rate is lower, but I'm not sold on the idea that guns/murder rate is the only relevant corelation.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:58:35 AM »

Yes, that's true....but again, I don't believe that guns alone explain the differences.

But alright....considering it's such a seldom thing in Britain....as you said....doesn't that mean that even stricter gun laws would probably be an over-reaction?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:02:37 AM »

Britons are free to live without the constant threat of being murdered by a gun, either by a criminal or a thuggish policeman.

Such as the people killed a few days ago by the taxi driver? Sure their murder rate is lower, but I'm not sold on the idea that guns/murder rate is the only relevant corelation.

Yes, and we have 300 million people as well.

Don't see how that's relevant to the murder rate though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

Your entire country is off the wall for believing it's okay to give people guns.

Well at least your country knows how to protect its citizens properly....such as through having a CCTV camera at every street corner.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »

I'm quite annoyed at the idea of making the granting of rights subject to proving a "need" to have said rights.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00:36 AM »

I'm quite annoyed at the idea of making the granting of rights subject to proving a "need" to have said rights.

But no one here thinks that owning a gun is a right or has anything to do with rights. As I've argued (endlessly, I'll admit) before, gun issues are cultural issues in the clearest way that anything can be a cultural issue.

Which is alright, I suppose.....even though I'm quite sceptical that gun ownership is really a huge influence in crime. Look at Austria, for example.

I guess my problem is....if a strong argument can't be found to ban posession of something....I tend to oppose the government regulating whéther it can be bought and sold and under what conditions.

Even if we don't view it as a "right"....that in itself is not a reason to ban it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »

I do not believe that owning a gun is a "natural right"....but I do think it's logical to allow gun ownership to a reasonable degree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies