Do you support the death penalty for attempted suicide?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support the death penalty for attempted suicide?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you support the death penalty for attempted suicide?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Do you support the death penalty for attempted suicide?  (Read 12541 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sir Gilbert loved working with the "suicide leads to execution" thing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »

Only if it results in death.  By fire.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »

Well, successfull suicide should mean maximum punishment, while unsuccessful attempt should be treat more lenient Tongue
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

I have to ask again: is this a serious question?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »

This makes me think of those suicide-centers - a public service - in that one movie.. what was it?  Soylent Green? 

Also in the first episode of Futurama.

They should have started 3 years ago...and who knows? Maybe the first "suicide booths" have already started in Oregon and Washington.
CarlSchulz
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »

Ah the redundancy burns!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »

Most suicides aren't intended to succeed.

Not sure if true but if so, if someone "attempts" suicide but tries to survive it, even if they're only doing for attention, if they're feeling that badly, they really do need attention, sympathy, etc.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »

Not sure if true but if so, if someone "attempts" suicide but tries to survive it, even if they're only doing for attention, if they're feeling that badly, they really do need attention, sympathy, etc.

I think Gustaf's statement can be better worded as, "most attempted suicides aren't intended to succeed." I find that it's most often an extreme cry for help; I think most people who are completely serious about ending their own lives have usually thought about it so much beforehand that they know how to do it without "failing".
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »

No (normal)
This is the most counterproductive law I've ever heard of.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »

I think Gustaf's statement can be better worded as, "most attempted suicides aren't intended to succeed." I find that it's most often an extreme cry for help; I think most people who are completely serious about ending their own lives have usually thought about it so much beforehand that they know how to do it without "failing".

Well, that is obviously true, but I actually meant it even in the narrow sense. At least that is what I was taught in psychology.

Basically, there were 3 different types of suicides (among successful ones). There were crazy people not aware of what they were doing (like cutting up your throat to release the birds who are locked in there), people trying to kill themselves and what was called "failed failed suicides". That is, people trying to have a failed attempt at suicide but then ending up actually doing it. Typical of the second category of intended suicides was advanced planning, setting up wills, etc.

I think pretty much all teen suicides and such belong to the last category.

Finally, Nclib, you seem to be misinterpreting me. The point of having a law against suicide isn't to punish people after they fail. It is to allow you to stop them. Which is a good thing, since most of them do not actually want to kill themselves.

The good thing about having a law against it is that it allows you to use force to, say, wrestle a gun or knife out of someone's hand or pull them back from the edge of a roof. If suicide was perfectly legal you wouldn't be allowed to do that.
Elyski
elyski729
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.70, S: -8.00

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »

I think the death sentence for trying to kill yourself is very ironic.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »

I attempted suicide in 2008 (was a few hours from leaving the house to jump off a bridge) and I can tell you three things:
1 - I don't do anything half-assed. If I had made it to that bridge, I'd be dead.
2 - This poll does not offend me. It's an attempt at a joke, a joke I've made before.
3 - Why the hell was this bumped? The subject matter is controversial enough without brining it back to life 6 years later.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »

I attempted suicide in 2008 (was a few hours from leaving the house to jump off a bridge) and I can tell you three things:
1 - I don't do anything half-assed. If I had made it to that bridge, I'd be dead.
2 - This poll does not offend me. It's an attempt at a joke, a joke I've made before.
3 - Why the hell was this bumped? The subject matter is controversial enough without brining it back to life 6 years later.

So sorry to hear this Sad

I've attempted suicide before and it's not like it's something I like to "talk" about per se, but I at least have thick skin when people rip on me about it. Do I cry as soon as I get home? Sure. But the way I see it, letting those who made me suicidal see me cry is just as bad as actually committing suicide.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:53 AM »

I've lost the ability to cry for the most part Cheesy

For years the only emotion I could feel was anger, deep strong anger, but over the past month I've learned to repress that.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »

This may be in bad taste but, a bridge?  Come on over to Niagara, we have one of the hot suicide spots.  I do hope you are in a better mind set now.  I'm not one who can really relate to depression or suicidal thoughts but, I feel for those who do.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »

A cousin of my mother's jumped of a motorway bridge fifteen years ago, possibly closer twenty now. There's several of those tall valley-spanning bridges along that motorway (the Frankfurt - Gießen - Siegen - Ruhr connection), I'm not sure which one it was.
Anyways, he parked his car in the valley below and walked up onto the bridge.
He owned a parrot, an ara. You know, the huge eternally-living ones you associate with pirates. His older brother has that parot now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2011, 10:32:02 AM by Comrade Sibboleth »

Plenty of people jump of the Severn bridges thinking that they will be washed out to sea in a vaguely Romantic fashion. Alas, the river is tidal and they end up in the Forest of Dean.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »

"Seven bridges"? As in Seven Bridges Road?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »

Ah, dammit. I must have been working too hard or something. Tongue
Shilly
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »

A cousin of my mother's jumped of a motorway bridge fifteen years ago, possibly closer twenty now. There's several of those tall valley-spanning bridges along that motorway (the Frankfurt - Gießen - Siegen - Ruhr connection), I'm not sure which one it was.
Anyways, he parked his car in the valley below and walked up onto the bridge.
He owned a parrot, an ara. You know, the huge eternally-living ones you associate with pirates. His older brother has that parot now.

For the record, we call them macaws. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »

Yeah, on reflection I got more than that mixed up here, though. The guy who jumped was actually my second cousin, and the macaw is with his uncle (his father's younger brother. Who is my mother's cousin. Oh yeah, his father is dead by now too) now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies