When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:49:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: And I mean officially non-Christian.
2010-2019

2020-2029

2030-2039

2040-2049

2050-2059

2060-2069

2070-2079

2080-2089

2090-2099

After 2100

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?  (Read 25650 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 01:49:52 AM »

Never, don't underestimate the Christian or Catholic Church.

lol. That's what people said in 1850 about ever electing a black President.

Obama is half-black and half-white.  He won because he's of mixed culture.  Religion is too powerful a political force for non-Christians to win in America.

That might be the case now, but I'm not sure that will be the case 50 or 100 years from now. Racism was a powerful institution in American politics before the 1960s. Yet right now, we have a self-identified black President. And to be honest, I don't think Obama would have lost any votes if he was 100% black rather than half-black. I don't think many people said "I'm voting for him because he's half-black, but if he was compeltely black, then I'd vote against him."

I think Obama benefited greatly from growing up in a white household instead of a poorer inner-city projects.  There is still a wide divide between white culture and african-american culture in the USA and communication and speaking styles.  Obama is an effective communicator because he can speak with familiarity to the caucasian audience and have them trust him with their country.  He won over middle-america and suburban parents who distrusted sharpton and jackson in the past.  So, its not race its cultural experience and connecting to voters in a familial way.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »

And if Obama was a Republican, the black community would denounce him as being half black.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »

I think the first non-Christian president we have will probably be a reformed Jew, or maybe even an Atheist.  There is no way that a Muslim or practicer of an Eastern Religion would ever get elected in this counrty. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »

I think the first non-Christian president we have will probably be a reformed Jew, or maybe even an Atheist.  There is no way that a Muslim or practicer of an Eastern Religion would ever get elected in this counrty. 

To be fair, we already have Muslim and Buddhist Congresspeople. And Obama is of partial Muslim origin. I honestly think we will be ready for a Muslim or Buddhist President by the end of this century, or possible even by the middle of this century. That doesn't mean one is necessarily going to be elected that soon. Just that we will be ready to elect one if the right candidate appears.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »

To be fair, we already have Muslim and Buddhist Congresspeople. And Obama is of partial Muslim origin. I honestly think we will be ready for a Muslim or Buddhist President by the end of this century, or possible even by the middle of this century. That doesn't mean one is necessarily going to be elected that soon. Just that we will be ready to elect one if the right candidate appears.

But you do have to admit that the American people whould take a Jew over a Muslim or a Hindu any day.
milhouse24
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 02:30:06 AM »

And if Obama was a Republican, the black community would denounce him as being half black.

Its not about race, its about being part of the group of Black Democrats that carried the Civil Rights legislation.  If a Black person turns against the Civil Rights movement, they are turning against the Black community and voters.  There are Blue dog democrats so its not an idealogical issue of taxes and corporations.  Its a social issue of allowing Blacks to mix in society with white society, vote, and not go into separate bathrooms or buses.  There is a great divide between black communities and white communities and that is brought about by economic factors and segregation factors.  Blacks were forced into Black communities and not allowed to mix with white scoiety in education, jobs, ect.  It is going to take time for races to assimilate into each other and bridge the problems of the sixties and seventies.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

Its not about race, its about being part of the group of Black Democrats that carried the Civil Rights legislation.  If a Black person turns against the Civil Rights movement, they are turning against the Black community and voters.  There are Blue dog democrats so its not an idealogical issue of taxes and corporations.  Its a social issue of allowing Blacks to mix in society with white society, vote, and not go into separate bathrooms or buses.  There is a great divide between black communities and white communities and that is brought about by economic factors and segregation factors.  Blacks were forced into Black communities and not allowed to mix with white scoiety in education, jobs, ect.  It is going to take time for races to assimilate into each other and bridge the problems of the sixties and seventies.

Democrats weren't in favor of civil rights until they learned how to manipulate black voters over it. Ever since then there has been more crime, out of wedlock births, and murders in the black community. Good job democrats.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »

But you do have to admit that the American people whould take a Jew over a Muslim or a Hindu any day.

You're right in that regard. In fact, we almost had a Jewish VP back in 2000. However, I was pointing out that I think the country will be ready for a Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist President sometime in our lifetimes.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »

Don't we have a non christian president now?

No, he's a Christian.

Like I said, Lincoln and Jefferson might not have been Christians.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

Obama is of partial Muslim descent, but he is a Christian in terms of his actual religion. The question can be reworded to "When will we have our next non-Christian President?"
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »

Democrats weren't in favor of civil rights until they learned how to manipulate black voters over it. Ever since then there has been more crime, out of wedlock births, and murders in the black community. Good job democrats.

It seems from this statement you equally hate Democrats and Black people.  And you wonder why Blacks don't trust Republicans.  Obviously Republicans were the only reason for Rich Wall Streeters manipulating the bubble and then causing the market crash!
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

Obama is of partial Muslim descent, but he is a Christian in terms of his actual religion. The question can be reworded to "When will we have our next non-Christian President?"

So is Obama half-christian?  The Christian PACs are too strong to prevent losing power and influence.  Reformed Christianity is something that is uniquely American and differs us from the other countries.  I think it would be interesting to have a Unitarian politician. 
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »

So is Obama half-christian?  The Christian PACs are too strong to prevent losing power and influence.  Reformed Christianity is something that is uniquely American and differs us from the other countries.  I think it would be interesting to have a Unitarian politician. 
There were a few Unitarian Presidents.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »

Unitarians are Christians.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »

It seems from this statement you equally hate Democrats and Black people.  And you wonder why Blacks don't trust Republicans.  Obviously Republicans were the only reason for Rich Wall Streeters manipulating the bubble and then causing the market crash!

Oh yea that's really true. It was the democrats who allowed for the loans to be that easily attainable in the first place. Bush tried to fix it in 2003 and McCain introduced his own bill in 2005. Ask Chris Dodd and Barack Obama about their sweetheart deals on housing loans and you'll have the answer as to the housing market crash.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:59 AM »

What is so unpalatable about Hindus (or Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains et al., for that matter)?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »

We may have already elected him in 2008:

*All three of his names are Arabic
*He calls the Muslim Call to Prayer, "the sweetest sound on Earth"
*Neither of his parents were Christians
*None of his friends say that he was interesting in converting to Christianity
*He donated $1 million to a presidential candidate in Kenya who promised to establish an Islamic theocracy, much like that of Iran
*He was educated at Muslim schools in Indonesia
*He quotes from the Quaran in his speeches
*During his trip to Kenya in 2007, he visited several mosques but no churches, even when Kenya has a National Temple and far more churches than mosques
*In Turkey (2009), he visited no churches but several mosques

Interpret is as you will, but the evidence looks pretty damning to me....
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »

*He donated $1 million to a presidential candidate in Kenya who promised to establish an Islamic theocracy, much like that of Iran
*During his trip to Kenya in 2007, he visited several mosques but no churches, even when Kenya has a National Temple and far more churches than mosques

Obama's mom is a Christian and he himself is a Christian.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:23 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:50:23 AM by feeblepizza »

Obama's mother was an atheist. And, you might want to read over all of that evidence I posted.....
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »

What is so unpalatable about Hindus (or Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains et al., for that matter)?

I think Americans have a strange predisposition to stay away from these religions especially.  I just think many believe that they're neither good or evil, just loony.

It'd be good to have a President from one of those religions though.  Maybe even a Shinto president if that were ever to occur.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »

And his pastor, J. Wright was paid to convert from Islam. What do you make of the things Wright says while preaching that Obama claimed to never hear.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:50:50 AM by feeblepizza »

And his pastor, J. Wright was paid to convert from Islam. What do you make of the things Wright says while preaching that Obama claimed to never hear.

It makes me damn sick
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »

I think Americans have a strange predisposition to stay away from these religions especially.  I just think many believe that they're neither good or evil, just loony.

It'd be good to have a President from one of those religions though.  Maybe even a Shinto president if that were ever to occur.

I don't know, respect for Eastern cultures - at least as far as they're understood - is pretty widespread.  I would hope that would extend into the political realm as well.  Then again, considering how many Christians want one of their own in office, I could see that taking precedence over everything else.  Most unfortunate.

I would bet on a Shinto becoming president before a Muslim, though, what with no press being better than interminably bad press in politics and damnation by association.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »

No they are not. The Unitarians themselves say so.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »

No they are not. The Unitarians themselves say so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

According to Wikipedia, they are Christians.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies