When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: And I mean officially non-Christian.
2010-2019

2020-2029

2030-2039

2040-2049

2050-2059

2060-2069

2070-2079

2080-2089

2090-2099

After 2100

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?  (Read 25604 times)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »

We may have already elected him in 2008:

*All three of his names are Arabic
*He calls the Muslim Call to Prayer, "the sweetest sound on Earth"
*Neither of his parents were Christians
*None of his friends say that he was interesting in converting to Christianity
*He donated $1 million to a presidential candidate in Kenya who promised to establish an Islamic theocracy, much like that of Iran
*He was educated at Muslim schools in Indonesia
*He quotes from the Quaran in his speeches
*During his trip to Kenya in 2007, he visited several mosques but no churches, even when Kenya has a National Temple and far more churches than mosques
*In Turkey (2009), he visited no churches but several mosques

Interpret is as you will, but the evidence looks pretty damning to me....

Kid, you're twelve.  You shouldn't be saying "damn".

Anyways, I will now proceed to school you.

1).  You can't choose your name.  As for "Barack", it's not a Muslim name, it's an Arabic name, meaning "Blessing".  Not bad.  The rest goes the same.

2).  There is no video tape.

3).  His mother was Christian, a Kansan.  She became Agnostic in later life.  His father was raised Muslim, but was an atheist by the time he met Ann Dunham.

4).  Why would a Christian be interested in converting to Christianity?

5).  I Google'd that claim and the only place I can find anything about it is...your post.

6).  Muslim schools...I love this claim.  Indonesia is 95% Muslim.  He attended schools that taught both Islamic and Christian religions.  He never attended a "madrasa".

7).  He quoted the Koran in a speech to THE MUSLIM WORLD.  I guess Bush is a Muslim...He said Islam "brings hope and comfort".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nan2PC_-rxk

Cool.  Kenya is a Muslim nation.  It does not have more churches than mosques.

9).  He was on that journey to reset relations with the MUSLIM world, not the Christian world.

Kid, you've got some bigoted views in you.  Your grandpa probably listens to Rush Limbaugh a little too much, right? 

This is why we should ban kids that don't even have a full elementary school education...I mean, come on.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »

^Kenya is 3/4 Christian.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »

Hmm...seems your right...my mistake.

However, the kid really should read this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/kenya.asp
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »

We may have already elected him in 2008:

*All three of his names are Arabic
*He calls the Muslim Call to Prayer, "the sweetest sound on Earth"
*Neither of his parents were Christians
*None of his friends say that he was interesting in converting to Christianity
*He donated $1 million to a presidential candidate in Kenya who promised to establish an Islamic theocracy, much like that of Iran
*He was educated at Muslim schools in Indonesia
*He quotes from the Quaran in his speeches
*During his trip to Kenya in 2007, he visited several mosques but no churches, even when Kenya has a National Temple and far more churches than mosques
*In Turkey (2009), he visited no churches but several mosques

Interpret is as you will, but the evidence looks pretty damning to me....

My eyes couldn't roll hard enough at this post, but then I checked his profile and discovered he's 12. Then it made sense.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:40 PM »

We should be encouraging him then.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »

Seriously though, Obama is not a Muslim, and anybody who says he is, is a moron and probably a bigot.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »

Right on. Libs want to supress conservative youth.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

lol
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »

Kid, just because you can name all fifty states and their capitals doesn't mean you even understand politics.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »

Taft was also a Unitarian, though I consider that to be a Protestant demonimation.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »

Taft was also a Unitarian, though I consider that to be a Protestant demonimation.

Taft said, and I quote: "I do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ."

So he can't really be called a Christian.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »

So not believing in Jesus's Divinity makes someone non-Christian? I think not. I think Taft would be nominally Christian. I'm Jewish, but I am skeptical that everything that the Old Testament says is accurate.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »

So not believing in Jesus's Divinity makes someone non-Christian? I think not. I think Taft would be nominally Christian. I'm Jewish, but I am skeptical that everything that the Old Testament says is accurate.
Well, what do you concider a Christian to be?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »

Well, what do you concider a Christian to be?

Someone who self-identifies as one. If someone is a Unitarian, and the Unitarians are Christians, then that person is a Christian even if he doesn't believe in the divinity of Christ.
ComeAndTakeIt53
CalebR
Rookie
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »

We already do.
milhouse24
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2010, 12:48:45 AM »

I would be inclined to believe that Obama is half-Muslim since his Dad was a non-practicing Muslim. 
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »

Muslims aren't a race like Jews are.
milhouse24
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »

Obama is of partial Muslim origin, but he does not self-identify as Muslim. He self-identifies as Christian. I mean when will we have a President who will self-identify as something other than Christian (and Mormons self-identify as Christians, so they don't count)?

What is this fascination and obsession with having a non-Christian President?  Its not like other countries are interested in having minority religion presidents.  There would never be a catholic PM in England (Blair just converted to Catholicism post-PM) because the Queen is the Religious Leader of the English Church.  I can see France having a Jewish President because they are very secular, but its also a very Catholic country.  I don't think Israel would ever allow a Muslim PM.  Russia has a lot of Jewish leaders. 

I can see Governors from secular northern states elect Jewish politicians like SPitzer or Rendell but its a far greater obstacle to appeal to all 50 states.  I just think religion is often too divisive and it would be far more difficult to win voters from the christian conservative states.  Even Bill Clinton was a church-going Southern Baptist.  Religion is too powerful an influencer in national politics.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »

Jews aren't a race, they're an ethnicity.
milhouse24
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »

Can Jews be atheist or convert to Christianity or Unitarianism?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »

Obama is of partial Muslim origin, but he does not self-identify as Muslim. He self-identifies as Christian. I mean when will we have a President who will self-identify as something other than Christian (and Mormons self-identify as Christians, so they don't count)?

What is this fascination and obsession with having a non-Christian President?  Its not like other countries are interested in having minority religion presidents.  There would never be a catholic PM in England (Blair just converted to Catholicism post-PM) because the Queen is the Religious Leader of the English Church.  I can see France having a Jewish President because they are very secular, but its also a very Catholic country.  I don't think Israel would ever allow a Muslim PM.  Russia has a lot of Jewish leaders. 

I can see Governors from secular northern states elect Jewish politicians like SPitzer or Rendell but its a far greater obstacle to appeal to all 50 states.  I just think religion is often too divisive and it would be far more difficult to win voters from the christian conservative states.  Even Bill Clinton was a church-going Southern Baptist.  Religion is too powerful an influencer in national politics.

The fascination with electing a non-Christian President is the same for why many Americans were interested in electing a non-white President. They want to see a religious minority elected President to demonstrate how far the country has gone in terms of religious tolerance.
milhouse24
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »

The fascination with electing a non-Christian President is the same for why many Americans were interested in electing a non-white President. They want to see a religious minority elected President to demonstrate how far the country has gone in terms of religious tolerance.

I think the US is the most religiously tolerant country in the world unlike most other countries.  But I'm arguing that in order to win a national election, you need to be inclusive and not a divider.  Religion is also one of the most divisive things in this world and its a choice to be divisive.  If you say you want a non-Christian to be President, some may see it as wanting an anti-Christian to be President.  Unlike Race, a person cannot choose his or her own race.  I'm not saying that a secular person cannot be elected president, but often times religion becomes divisive and we need a President who will be inclusive.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »

Can Jews be atheist or convert to Christianity or Unitarianism?

Yes. You can be ethnically Jewish and be Christian or atheist in terms of religion. And Unitarians are Christians.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

I think the US is the most religiously tolerant country in the world unlike most other countries.  But I'm arguing that in order to win a national election, you need to be inclusive and not a divider.  Religion is also one of the most divisive things in this world and its a choice to be divisive.  If you say you want a non-Christian to be President, some may see it as wanting an anti-Christian to be President.  Unlike Race, a person cannot choose his or her own race.  I'm not saying that a secular person cannot be elected president, but often times religion becomes divisive and we need a President who will be inclusive.

I agree that religion is a very divisive force in politics now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be that way 50 or 100 years from now. Even if a person is free to choose his/her own religion, I don't think many people in the future will care too much about a candidate's religion, regardless of what it may be. I don't think electing a non-Christian President will be as divisive of a topic several decades from now as it is today, and thus I think it will be much easier to get one elected.
milhouse24
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »

I agree that religion is a very divisive force in politics now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be that way 50 or 100 years from now. Even if a person is free to choose his/her own religion, I don't think many people in the future will care too much about a candidate's religion, regardless of what it may be. I don't think electing a non-Christian President will be as divisive of a topic several decades from now as it is today, and thus I think it will be much easier to get one elected.
Well, I think religion would still be a problem especially if that person was Orthodox and seen as a radical religious conservative.  There might be a non-christian president when there is peace in the middle-east but for now it would cause too much international strife and distrust.  Maybe some non-threatening religion like Bahai, Buddhism, or scientology. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies