When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:04:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: And I mean officially non-Christian.
2010-2019

2020-2029

2030-2039

2040-2049

2050-2059

2060-2069

2070-2079

2080-2089

2090-2099

After 2100

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: When will the U.S. have its first non-Christian President?  (Read 25653 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »

Obama is of partial Muslim origin, but he does not self-identify as Muslim. He self-identifies as Christian. I mean when will we have a President who will self-identify as something other than Christian (and Mormons self-identify as Christians, so they don't count)?

What is this fascination and obsession with having a non-Christian President?  Its not like other countries are interested in having minority religion presidents.  There would never be a catholic PM in England (Blair just converted to Catholicism post-PM) because the Queen is the Religious Leader of the English Church.  I can see France having a Jewish President because they are very secular, but its also a very Catholic country.  I don't think Israel would ever allow a Muslim PM.  Russia has a lot of Jewish leaders. 

I can see Governors from secular northern states elect Jewish politicians like SPitzer or Rendell but its a far greater obstacle to appeal to all 50 states.  I just think religion is often too divisive and it would be far more difficult to win voters from the christian conservative states.  Even Bill Clinton was a church-going Southern Baptist.  Religion is too powerful an influencer in national politics.

The fascination with electing a non-Christian President is the same for why many Americans were interested in electing a non-white President. They want to see a religious minority elected President to demonstrate how far the country has gone in terms of religious tolerance.

I think the US is the most religiously tolerant country in the world unlike most other countries.  But I'm arguing that in order to win a national election, you need to be inclusive and not a divider.  Religion is also one of the most divisive things in this world and its a choice to be divisive.  If you say you want a non-Christian to be President, some may see it as wanting an anti-Christian to be President.  Unlike Race, a person cannot choose his or her own race.  I'm not saying that a secular person cannot be elected president, but often times religion becomes divisive and we need a President who will be inclusive.

I agree that religion is a very divisive force in politics now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be that way 50 or 100 years from now. Even if a person is free to choose his/her own religion, I don't think many people in the future will care too much about a candidate's religion, regardless of what it may be. I don't think electing a non-Christian President will be as divisive of a topic several decades from now as it is today, and thus I think it will be much easier to get one elected.
Well, I think religion would still be a problem especially if that person was Orthodox and seen as a radical religious conservative.  There might be a non-christian president when there is peace in the middle-east but for now it would cause too much international strife and distrust.  Maybe some non-threatening religion like Bahai, Buddhism, or scientology. 

We almost had a Jewish VP in 2000. I think we're definitely ready for a Jewish President. And I think there will be peace in the Middle East in the next five (or worst case scenario, ten) years. I don't think any world leaders complained about Lieberman's religion when he was picked as Gore's VP choice, despite the fact that the VP is second in line to the Presidency. To be honest, I don't think any world leaders would ever complain about the religion of a U.S. President.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »

Obama is of partial Muslim origin, but he does not self-identify as Muslim. He self-identifies as Christian. I mean when will we have a President who will self-identify as something other than Christian (and Mormons self-identify as Christians, so they don't count)?

What is this fascination and obsession with having a non-Christian President?  Its not like other countries are interested in having minority religion presidents.  There would never be a catholic PM in England (Blair just converted to Catholicism post-PM) because the Queen is the Religious Leader of the English Church.  I can see France having a Jewish President because they are very secular, but its also a very Catholic country.  I don't think Israel would ever allow a Muslim PM.  Russia has a lot of Jewish leaders. 

I can see Governors from secular northern states elect Jewish politicians like SPitzer or Rendell but its a far greater obstacle to appeal to all 50 states.  I just think religion is often too divisive and it would be far more difficult to win voters from the christian conservative states.  Even Bill Clinton was a church-going Southern Baptist.  Religion is too powerful an influencer in national politics.

The fascination with electing a non-Christian President is the same for why many Americans were interested in electing a non-white President. They want to see a religious minority elected President to demonstrate how far the country has gone in terms of religious tolerance.

I think the US is the most religiously tolerant country in the world unlike most other countries.  But I'm arguing that in order to win a national election, you need to be inclusive and not a divider.  Religion is also one of the most divisive things in this world and its a choice to be divisive.  If you say you want a non-Christian to be President, some may see it as wanting an anti-Christian to be President.  Unlike Race, a person cannot choose his or her own race.  I'm not saying that a secular person cannot be elected president, but often times religion becomes divisive and we need a President who will be inclusive.

I agree that religion is a very divisive force in politics now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be that way 50 or 100 years from now. Even if a person is free to choose his/her own religion, I don't think many people in the future will care too much about a candidate's religion, regardless of what it may be. I don't think electing a non-Christian President will be as divisive of a topic several decades from now as it is today, and thus I think it will be much easier to get one elected.
Well, I think religion would still be a problem especially if that person was Orthodox and seen as a radical religious conservative.  There might be a non-christian president when there is peace in the middle-east but for now it would cause too much international strife and distrust.  Maybe some non-threatening religion like Bahai, Buddhism, or scientology. 

We almost had a Jewish VP in 2000. I think we're definitely ready for a Jewish President. And I think there will be peace in the Middle East in the next five (or worst case scenario, ten) years. I don't think any world leaders complained about Lieberman's religion when he was picked as Gore's VP choice, despite the fact that the VP is second in line to the Presidency. To be honest, I don't think any world leaders would ever complain about the religion of a U.S. President.

Ready? Is America behind or something by voting for Christians? I'd be happy to vote for a Jew if he were conservative. Most world leaders wouldn't complain.
milhouse24
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »

I'm aware that orthodox Joe Lieberman almost became VP and endorsing McCain.  But I still think that Lieberman was a terrible VP candidate, not because of his religion.  Kerry would have been a far better VP pick and would have helped Gore win NH.  With Sept 11, and the war on Islamic Terrorists, it is far more touchy to have a Jewish President especially in diplomatic discussions with Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan.  But Rahmbo is doing well, so maybe I'm wrong.  What is your definition of Peace in the Middle east, that Palestinians will have a power sharing agreement in Palestine?  Of course no one cared about Muslims or Jews in 2000 but now it is the front-page news and we have war in the Middle East if you're not aware.  In fact, I would argue that Obama gained support from liberal voters because they saw his ethnicity as extending an olive branch to Muslim leaders.  A steamroller like Elliot Spitzer might actually make mideast relations worst.  I think that unlike race, religion is about power, not just over individual spirituality but power of the group and it breeds distrust amongst and against other religious groups.  Just like the Catholic Church, religion operates as a pseudo-govt entity that covers both the public and private lives of citizens.  I don't know if we can have a president who wears his religion on his sleeve as openly as GWBush because it is both divisive and inclusive.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »

I'm aware that orthodox Joe Lieberman almost became VP and endorsing McCain.  But I still think that Lieberman was a terrible VP candidate, not because of his religion.  Kerry would have been a far better VP pick and would have helped Gore win NH.  With Sept 11, and the war on Islamic Terrorists, it is far more touchy to have a Jewish President especially in diplomatic discussions with Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan.  But Rahmbo is doing well, so maybe I'm wrong.  What is your definition of Peace in the Middle east, that Palestinians will have a power sharing agreement in Palestine?  Of course no one cared about Muslims or Jews in 2000 but now it is the front-page news and we have war in the Middle East if you're not aware.  In fact, I would argue that Obama gained support from liberal voters because they saw his ethnicity as extending an olive branch to Muslim leaders.  A steamroller like Elliot Spitzer might actually make mideast relations worst.  I think that unlike race, religion is about power, not just over individual spirituality but power of the group and it breeds distrust amongst and against other religious groups.  Just like the Catholic Church, religion operates as a pseudo-govt entity that covers both the public and private lives of citizens.  I don't know if we can have a president who wears his religion on his sleeve as openly as GWBush because it is both divisive and inclusive.

I'm not sure Kerry would have helped Gore win NH. A lot of Muslim leaders aren't anti-Semites, just anti-Zionists. Thus, if the U.S. had a Jewish President, I seriously doubt they would want to run their good relations and decrease their aid from the U.S. In case you don't know, Iran actually has a small Jewish population (about 30,000) who is treated pretty well within Iran. I honestly don't think the leaders of any country would care too much publicly or want to ruin relations with the U.S. due to the religion of the U.S. President. And by Mid-East peace, I mean the creation of a Palestinian state in a peace treaty with Israel, thus leading to normalized relations between Israel and the Arab/Muslim world. I honestly think Mid-East peace will occur within the next five years. I knew there was a war in the Middle East for all of my life. To be honest, I don't think Obama's (partial) Muslim origin was a large factor in Democrats voting for him. I think a desire for change and honesty was a much greater factor. I don't think people in the U.S. perceive religion as about power. Our Supreme Court will have no Protestants after Elena Kagan is confirmed, despite the fact that Protestants form a majority of our population. You don't hear Protestant anywhere complaining about losing power or being discriminated against. And to be honest, I don't think most Presidents would shove their religious beliefs down the throats of the American people and the rest of the world, and thus I don't think a President's religion would be a problem or much of an issue.
milhouse24
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »

I'm not sure what the future holds or how a candidate would use his power.  I know Lieberman was strongly pro-Iraq War and against muslim terrorists.  He also sided with McCain so I'm not sure what his chances of being President are.  Cantor might have a chance if he becomes Governor or Senator.  But I also think it might add fuel to terrorists that think we have unwavering support for Israel against a Palestine state.  For me, a selling point for Obama vs McCain (who was pro-Iraq surge) was that Obama understood international displomacy and the Muslim world and could talk with Muslim leaders and convince them to stop attacking Americans.  I think a lot of Christian leaders are worried about pro-choicers on the bench that are non-christian.  I wouldn't say a president would shove their religious beliefs, but would subconcsiously or consciously favor a certain religious viewpoint at the expense of the majority of Americans desires.  That he would not listen to voters from a different religion would be perceived fear. 

I'm not sure Kerry would have helped Gore win NH. A lot of Muslim leaders aren't anti-Semites, just anti-Zionists. Thus, if the U.S. had a Jewish President, I seriously doubt they would want to run their good relations and decrease their aid from the U.S. In case you don't know, Iran actually has a small Jewish population (about 30,000) who is treated pretty well within Iran. I honestly don't think the leaders of any country would care too much publicly or want to ruin relations with the U.S. due to the religion of the U.S. President. And by Mid-East peace, I mean the creation of a Palestinian state in a peace treaty with Israel, thus leading to normalized relations between Israel and the Arab/Muslim world. I honestly think Mid-East peace will occur within the next five years. I knew there was a war in the Middle East for all of my life. To be honest, I don't think Obama's (partial) Muslim origin was a large factor in Democrats voting for him. I think a desire for change and honesty was a much greater factor. I don't think people in the U.S. perceive religion as about power. Our Supreme Court will have no Protestants after Elena Kagan is confirmed, despite the fact that Protestants form a majority of our population. You don't hear Protestant anywhere complaining about losing power or being discriminated against.

And to be honest, I don't think most Presidents would shove their religious beliefs down the throats of the American people and the rest of the world, and thus I don't think a President's religion would be a problem or much of an issue.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »

I'm not sure what the future holds or how a candidate would use his power.  I know Lieberman was strongly pro-Iraq War and against muslim terrorists.  He also sided with McCain so I'm not sure what his chances of being President are.  Cantor might have a chance if he becomes Governor or Senator.  But I also think it might add fuel to terrorists that think we have unwavering support for Israel against a Palestine state.  For me, a selling point for Obama vs McCain (who was pro-Iraq surge) was that Obama understood international displomacy and the Muslim world and could talk with Muslim leaders and convince them to stop attacking Americans.  I think a lot of Christian leaders are worried about pro-choicers on the bench that are non-christian.  I wouldn't say a president would shove their religious beliefs, but would subconcsiously or consciously favor a certain religious viewpoint at the expense of the majority of Americans desires.  That he would not listen to voters from a different religion would be perceived fear. 

I'm not sure Kerry would have helped Gore win NH. A lot of Muslim leaders aren't anti-Semites, just anti-Zionists. Thus, if the U.S. had a Jewish President, I seriously doubt they would want to run their good relations and decrease their aid from the U.S. In case you don't know, Iran actually has a small Jewish population (about 30,000) who is treated pretty well within Iran. I honestly don't think the leaders of any country would care too much publicly or want to ruin relations with the U.S. due to the religion of the U.S. President. And by Mid-East peace, I mean the creation of a Palestinian state in a peace treaty with Israel, thus leading to normalized relations between Israel and the Arab/Muslim world. I honestly think Mid-East peace will occur within the next five years. I knew there was a war in the Middle East for all of my life. To be honest, I don't think Obama's (partial) Muslim origin was a large factor in Democrats voting for him. I think a desire for change and honesty was a much greater factor. I don't think people in the U.S. perceive religion as about power. Our Supreme Court will have no Protestants after Elena Kagan is confirmed, despite the fact that Protestants form a majority of our population. You don't hear Protestant anywhere complaining about losing power or being discriminated against.

And to be honest, I don't think most Presidents would shove their religious beliefs down the throats of the American people and the rest of the world, and thus I don't think a President's religion would be a problem or much of an issue.

I seriously doubt most Americans in the future will perceive a non-Christian candidate for President to be anti-Christian or subconsciously prejudiced against Christians. Back in 1928, Al Smith lost a lot of voters because of his Catholicism and fears that he would take orders from the Pope. However, just 32 years later, in 1960, JFK (a Catholic) was elected President. 44 years after that, in 2004, Kerry's Catholicism wasn't even that much of an issue. That shows how far our country has gone in terms of religious tolerance. The percentage of non-Christian and non-religious Americans has increased over the last several decades, and considering young voters are more secular than the older generation, I can only except this trend to continue. Older voters had much more religious influence in their lives as they were growing up. Many younger voters don't have that kind of religious influence because religion isn't as important as it once was. Attitudes about religion will change over time and I think that in several decades, we will be ready to elect a non-Christian President. In fact, I think that a non-Christian President will be elected sometime in the 21st century (2001-2100), probably in the later half. (And before you bring up the Middle East again, I think there will be peace there in the next 5-10 years.)
milhouse24
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »

I seriously doubt most Americans in the future will perceive a non-Christian candidate for President to be anti-Christian or subconsciously prejudiced against Christians. Back in 1928, Al Smith lost a lot of voters because of his Catholicism and fears that he would take orders from the Pope. However, just 32 years later, in 1960, JFK (a Catholic) was elected President. 44 years after that, in 2004, Kerry's Catholicism wasn't even that much of an issue. That shows how far our country has gone in terms of religious tolerance. The percentage of non-Christian and non-religious Americans has increased over the last several decades, and considering young voters are more secular than the older generation, I can only except this trend to continue. Older voters had much more religious influence in their lives as they were growing up. Many younger voters don't have that kind of religious influence because religion isn't as important as it once was. Attitudes about religion will change over time and I think that in several decades, we will be ready to elect a non-Christian President. In fact, I think that a non-Christian President will be elected sometime in the 21st century (2001-2100), probably in the later half. (And before you bring up the Middle East again, I think there will be peace there in the next 5-10 years.)
Is Catholicism now considered the same as Protestant Christianity?  Is Catholicism now considered the same as Judaism?  Is America ready for a non-Judeo-Christian president?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2010, 12:35:46 AM »

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »

I mean in the future.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 10:05:41 AM by Vannder Blubb »

I'm not sure what the future holds or how a candidate would use his power.  I know Lieberman was strongly pro-Iraq War and against muslim terrorists.  He also sided with McCain so I'm not sure what his chances of being President are.  Cantor might have a chance if he becomes Governor or Senator.  But I also think it might add fuel to terrorists that think we have unwavering support for Israel against a Palestine state.  For me, a selling point for Obama vs McCain (who was pro-Iraq surge) was that Obama understood international displomacy and the Muslim world and could talk with Muslim leaders and convince them to stop attacking Americans.  I think a lot of Christian leaders are worried about pro-choicers on the bench that are non-christian.  I wouldn't say a president would shove their religious beliefs, but would subconcsiously or consciously favor a certain religious viewpoint at the expense of the majority of Americans desires.  That he would not listen to voters from a different religion would be perceived fear.  

Is Catholicism now considered the same as Protestant Christianity?  Is Catholicism now considered the same as Judaism?  Is America ready for a non-Judeo-Christian president?

Those religions and denominations are not the same, but Americans are caring less and less about religious differences. Being black is not the same as being white, which is not the same as being Latino. However, even though race separates and divides us, we have learned to overcome race and get beyond it by electing a black President, something which was considered unthinkable 100 years ago. We haven't learned to fully overcome and go beyond religion yet and thus I don't think we're ready for a non-Judaeo-Christian President yet. However, the increasing secularization of American politics will allow us to get beyond religion in the next 100 years as its role in American culture, society, and public life will diminish. This will create the atmosphere necessary for the election of a non-Judaeo-Christian President in the late 21st or possibly in the 22nd century.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

As of right now, Protestants, Catholics, Jews, and probably Eastern Orthodox Christians could fairly easily be elected POTUS.  Mormon is a bit dicey, but still possible.  Muslim or atheist is right out.
milhouse24
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »

Those religions and denominations are not the same, but Americans are caring less and less about religious differences. Being black is not the same as being white, which is not the same as being Latino. However, even though race separates and divides us, we have learned to overcome race and get beyond it by electing a black President, something which was considered unthinkable 100 years ago.

We haven't learned to fully overcome and go beyond religion yet and thus I don't think we're ready for a non-Judaeo-Christian President yet. However, the increasing secularization of American politics will allow us to get beyond religion in the next 100 years as its role in American culture, society, and public life will diminish. This will create the atmosphere necessary for the election of a non-Judaeo-Christian President in the late 21st or possibly in the 22nd century.
You seem to think that Catholics and Christians freely mix in society and are diminishing Christianity's role in American life, but do you also see the secularization of Judaism in American life because in my experience a lot of Jewish parents and mothers want their children to marry Jewish spouses.  Sure many Jewish singles marry non-Jews but it is still expected for the children to be raised Jewish.  So do you think that Judaism will also be diminished in the Jewish person's life?  what would be the difference between a secular protestant, catholic, or jewish person?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »

Those religions and denominations are not the same, but Americans are caring less and less about religious differences. Being black is not the same as being white, which is not the same as being Latino. However, even though race separates and divides us, we have learned to overcome race and get beyond it by electing a black President, something which was considered unthinkable 100 years ago.

We haven't learned to fully overcome and go beyond religion yet and thus I don't think we're ready for a non-Judaeo-Christian President yet. However, the increasing secularization of American politics will allow us to get beyond religion in the next 100 years as its role in American culture, society, and public life will diminish. This will create the atmosphere necessary for the election of a non-Judaeo-Christian President in the late 21st or possibly in the 22nd century.
You seem to think that Catholics and Christians freely mix in society and are diminishing Christianity's role in American life, but do you also see the secularization of Judaism in American life because in my experience a lot of Jewish parents and mothers want their children to marry Jewish spouses.  Sure many Jewish singles marry non-Jews but it is still expected for the children to be raised Jewish.  So do you think that Judaism will also be diminished in the Jewish person's life?  what would be the difference between a secular protestant, catholic, or jewish person?

Catholics are Christians. And you seem to have misunderstood my point. Over time, many Americans are becoming less and less afraid of a candidate shoving their religion down people's throats. Americans respect other people's right to believe what they want to believe, and as long as a candidate doesn't force anyone to conform to his/her beliefs, many Americans would be OK with voting for a candidate of a different belief than their own. There's a huge difference between wanting your kid to be raised Jewish and be unwilling to vote for any candidate who isn't Jewish. And we have steadily progressed in religious tolerance as a nation. In 1900, electing a Catholic President was unthinkable. We elected one just 60 years later. In 1937, only 46% of American voters said that they would be willing to vote for a Jewish candidate for President. In 2000, just 63 years later, 92% of American voters said that they would be willing to vote for a Jew for President.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/220153/wheres-anti-semitism/jonah-goldberg

This shows how much religious attitudes in the U.S. have progressed over time. I can only except this trend to continue with Muslims, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and people of other religions. Most voters now might say that they would be unwilling to vote for a candidate of any of those faiths, but 50 or 100 years from now I'm sure most voters would be willing to vote for a candidate from any of those faiths.

From my experiences, none of the young people I know say that a candidate's religion will be a factor in how they vote. A lot of older voters might still have some religious prejudices because religion and religious prejudice were much more widespread when they were growing up than it is today.

http://thebeattitude.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/gallup-religion.gif

Here is some proof of the decreasing importance of religion. In 1957, 82% of voters said that religion can answer most of our problems. Now, only 57% of voters feel this way. In 1957, only 7% of voters thought that religion was old-fashioned and out of date. Now 29% of voters feel that way.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117409/easter-smaller-percentage-americans-christian.aspx

The U.S. is becoming less and less Christian. In 1948, 91% of Americans were Christians. Now that percentage is 77%. In 1948, only 2% of voters were non-religious. Now that figure is 12%. This shows that Christianity and religion in general is decreasing in importance as time goes by. Nowadays, this is partly due to globalization, the Information Age, the more tolerant media, and the increasing religious diversity in the U.S. Thus, I think that the U.S. will be ready to elect a non-Judaeo-Christian President by the end of the 21st century. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will elect one by that point, just that the American people would be willing to vote for a non-Judaeo-Christian candidate if the right candidate comes along.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »

Maybe it never will.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »

Never is a very long time. A lot of people in 1800 said we'd never have a black or a Catholic President. Also, a Jew could easily be elected right now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »

In view of the composition of the US Senate, it is almost surprising that we have never had a Jewish President (John Kerry would not have qualified except by the "racial" laws of the Third Reich).
milhouse24
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »

I think it would be politically difficult to elect a Jewish person in at least the next 10-15 years because of the middle east crisis.  But it could happen if the right candidate came along.  I think americans would be worried about religious favoritism to non-american states, and the evangelicals are very powerful political force that might fight tooth and nail against a non-christian.  Since Obama is half-christian and half-african muslim, he seems to quell uprisings, but he does support the nyc mosque, so he's making his african relatives proud.
Do you mean the US is becoming less Christian or less religious or are Jewish people also becoming less jewish and Catholics becoming less Catholic?  Are all religions in the US losing their importance including Judaism or is it just Christianity?  Dubya definitely played up his Evangelical Christian identity and it helped him win the election.  Do you think an Orthodox or an non-observant Jewish person could win the Presidency?  Do you think that all winning candidates in the future will be non-religious as well?

Catholics are Christians. And you seem to have misunderstood my point. Over time, many Americans are becoming less and less afraid of a candidate shoving their religion down people's throats. Americans respect other people's right to believe what they want to believe, and as long as a candidate doesn't force anyone to conform to his/her beliefs, many Americans would be OK with voting for a candidate of a different belief than their own. There's a huge difference between wanting your kid to be raised Jewish and be unwilling to vote for any candidate who isn't Jewish. And we have steadily progressed in religious tolerance as a nation. In 1900, electing a Catholic President was unthinkable. We elected one just 60 years later. In 1937, only 46% of American voters said that they would be willing to vote for a Jewish candidate for President. In 2000, just 63 years later, 92% of American voters said that they would be willing to vote for a Jew for President.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/220153/wheres-anti-semitism/jonah-goldberg

This shows how much religious attitudes in the U.S. have progressed over time. I can only except this trend to continue with Muslims, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and people of other religions. Most voters now might say that they would be unwilling to vote for a candidate of any of those faiths, but 50 or 100 years from now I'm sure most voters would be willing to vote for a candidate from any of those faiths.

From my experiences, none of the young people I know say that a candidate's religion will be a factor in how they vote. A lot of older voters might still have some religious prejudices because religion and religious prejudice were much more widespread when they were growing up than it is today.

Here is some proof of the decreasing importance of religion. In 1957, 82% of voters said that religion can answer most of our problems. Now, only 57% of voters feel this way. In 1957, only 7% of voters thought that religion was old-fashioned and out of date. Now 29% of voters feel that way.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117409/easter-smaller-percentage-americans-christian.aspx

The U.S. is becoming less and less Christian. In 1948, 91% of Americans were Christians. Now that percentage is 77%. In 1948, only 2% of voters were non-religious. Now that figure is 12%. This shows that Christianity and religion in general is decreasing in importance as time goes by. Nowadays, this is partly due to globalization, the Information Age, the more tolerant media, and the increasing religious diversity in the U.S. Thus, I think that the U.S. will be ready to elect a non-Judaeo-Christian President by the end of the 21st century. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will elect one by that point, just that the American people would be willing to vote for a non-Judaeo-Christian candidate if the right candidate comes along.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »

I think it would be politically difficult to elect a Jewish person in at least the next 10-15 years because of the middle east crisis.  But it could happen if the right candidate came along.  I think americans would be worried about religious favoritism to non-american states, and the evangelicals are very powerful political force that might fight tooth and nail against a non-christian.  Since Obama is half-christian and half-african muslim, he seems to quell uprisings, but he does support the nyc mosque, so he's making his african relatives proud.
Do you mean the US is becoming less Christian or less religious or are Jewish people also becoming less jewish and Catholics becoming less Catholic?  Are all religions in the US losing their importance including Judaism or is it just Christianity?  Dubya definitely played up his Evangelical Christian identity and it helped him win the election.  Do you think an Orthodox or an non-observant Jewish person could win the Presidency?  Do you think that all winning candidates in the future will be non-religious as well?

Again, I think a Middle East peace treaty will be signed within the next 5-10 years. And since polls have shown that more than 90% of Americans are willing to vote for a Jewish President, I think we are willing to elect one. I doubt many Americans care about what people in the Middle East or other parts of the world think when they are electing their President. They sure didn't care about what the world thought in 2000 or 2004--otherwise Gore and Kerry would have won (since the world disliked Bush). Also, we almost elected a Jew as VP in 2000, when the situation and tensions in the Middle East were much worse than they are now. I seriously doubt most Americans would care about religious favoritism if a non-Judeo-Christian candidate was running. And they would care about religious favoritism even less in several decades since the younger generation is more religiously tolerant than the older generation. That applies to Evangelicals as well--younger Evangelicals are more tolerant of other faiths than the older generation is. A lot of Protestants weren't very tolerant of Catholics in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Now, almost all Protestants have no problem with Catholics whatsoever. The same thing will happen with Evangelicals and people of other religions. Since the U.S. elected a President of partial Muslim descent, it showed that it has become even more religiously tolerant recently. I mean that the U.S. is becoming less Christian and less religious. You can't become less Catholics or less Jewish (unless you change your religion completely). You can just decrease the impact that religion has on your life and your views. For the most part, Christianity is losing its importance but Judaism really wasn't significant at anytime in American history since Jews only made up a couple % of the U.S. population. However, I think non-religious people are increasing their influence in the U.S. since their % of the population is steadily increasing. This trend will only continue in the upcoming several decades as younger people are less religious than older people. I think any Jew can win the Presidency if he or she is a good candidate. I don't think all winning candidates in the future will be non-religious. We'll still have Christian Presidents in the far future. I meant that the American people as a whole will become more tolerant and less religious and that will allow non-religious candidates (atheists, agnostics, Deists, etc.) and people of non-Judaeo-Christian faiths (Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc.) to get elected President when they nominate good candidates.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

Jewish president? They're all already controlled by Jews. /Libertas
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »

Obama is half-christian and half-african muslim

Huh
milhouse24
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2010, 07:39:25 PM by milhouse24 »

You seem to want a Jewish president just for the sake of having a Jewish President, not counting his or her personality, policies, or resume.  I think that is just totally wrong.  I think that Lieberman would have been a disaster as VP or president, just reviewing his actions of the past ten years.  I think post 9/11 the American media is very much focused on Middle East relations.  I think the number of Jewish senators doesn't matter because Senators rarely win the White House.  If a Jewish person wants to prove he is ready to be Chief Executive, he will have to serve as a governor and someone like Spitzer or Rendell have a lot of credibility as executives.
There might not be any religious or ethnic favortism by a candidate.  Bush certainly never favored evangelicals.  If a Hispanic like Richardson ran for president, he would surely face criticism and scrutiny from mexican immigration critics, and if he would place another country's needs ahead of the needs of the US.  Lieberman has obviously been a strong supporter of Israel's policies and never criticizes their actions.  I guess that can be good or bad depending on someone's religion.
America is a religiously tolerant place, but I don't think it would be fair that Americans are religiously tolerant only because they are less-Christian.  Even if someone was a Conservative Christian, would that make them less accepting of a Jewish person.  Even if someone was a strict Catholic, would it make them less accepting of a Jewish person.  Even if someone was a strict Jewish observant, would they not vote for a Conservative Christian or Catholic.  Or is it a power struggle between religions, and a non-Christian America, means that more non-Christians will be voted into office, and a lesser number of Christians will hold office, and Christian groups will loser power, while non-Christian groups Gain power in America.
I was under the impression there were non-practicing Catholics, Jews, and Christians, and that this comprises of your non-Religious survey of the USA.  If Religion is playing less of a role in Christians lives, is Religion also playing less of a role in a Jewish person's life?  Will a Jewish person be more willing to marry a non-Jewish person, as many Catholics and Protestants have now inter-married?  Since we have a half-African Muslim president, perhaps the future we'll have a half-Jewish/half-Christian president.  There are certainly a lot of women and men have converted to Judaism or were not ethnically-born Jewish, or have married a Jewish person but have not converted.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »

You seem to want a Jewish president just for the sake of having a Jewish President, not counting his or her personality, policies, or resume.  I think that is just totally wrong.  I think that Lieberman would have been a disaster as VP or president, just reviewing his actions of the past ten years.  I think post 9/11 the American media is very much focused on Middle East relations.  I think the number of Jewish senators doesn't matter because Senators rarely win the White House.  If a Jewish person wants to prove he is ready to be Chief Executive, he will have to serve as a governor and someone like Spitzer or Rendell have a lot of credibility as executives.
There might not be any religious or ethnic favortism by a candidate.  Bush certainly never favored evangelicals.  If a Hispanic like Richardson ran for president, he would surely face criticism and scrutiny from mexican immigration critics, and if he would place another country's needs ahead of the needs of the US.  Lieberman has obviously been a strong supporter of Israel's policies and never criticizes their actions.  I guess that can be good or bad depending on someone's religion.
America is a religiously tolerant place, but I don't think it would be fair that Americans are religiously tolerant only because they are less-Christian.  Even if someone was a Conservative Christian, would that make them less accepting of a Jewish person.  Even if someone was a strict Catholic, would it make them less accepting of a Jewish person.  Even if someone was a strict Jewish observant, would they not vote for a Conservative Christian or Catholic.  Or is it a power struggle between religions, and a non-Christian America, means that more non-Christians will be voted into office, and a lesser number of Christians will hold office, and Christian groups will loser power, while non-Christian groups Gain power in America.
I was under the impression there were non-practicing Catholics, Jews, and Christians, and that this comprises of your non-Religious survey of the USA.  If Religion is playing less of a role in Christians lives, is Religion also playing less of a role in a Jewish person's life?  Will a Jewish person be more willing to marry a non-Jewish person, as many Catholics and Protestants have now inter-married?  Since we have a half-African Muslim president, perhaps the future we'll have a half-Jewish/half-Christian president.  There are certainly a lot of women and men have converted to Judaism or were not ethnically-born Jewish, or have married a Jewish person but have not converted.

I never said I explicitly wanted a Jewish President. I just said that you overestimate how hard it is going to be to elect one since over 90% of Americans have said that they are willing to vote for a Jewish President (and this was back in 2000, so it's probably even more now). If the right candidate comes along, we could easily elect a Jewish President. It doesn't matter if they're Senators, Governors, or have some other office. It just matter if they're experienced and if they run good campaigns. I seriously doubt Lieberman would have been a disaster as VP or as President. Lieberman wouldn't have had any power as VP and I don't see him doing anything that bad as President. So what if he supports Israel? Most politicians in the U.S. support Israel, and frankly, for the most part, Israel didn't really do much wrong in the last ten years. Even if the media was focused on the Middle East after 9/11, that still didn't stop Bush from being reelected despite the fact that most Arabs hated him a lot after he invaded Iraq. This gives me the impression that Americans don't vote based on how the Middle East and other areas of the world want them to vote. I seriously doubt there will be much accusations of religious favoritism if a non-Christian candidate runs for President. I don't think many people have accused JFK of religious favoritism, and that was half a century ago. My point was that due to frequent intermarriage and increasing religious diversity in the U.S., Americans are becoming more religiously tolerant. You might not know this, but a majority of Jews in the U.S. have already intermarried with people of other religions. Polls show that the younger generation is more religiously tolerant than the older generation, and thus this trend will only continue in the future. By non-religious people, the polls mean people without any religion whatsoever. That % has increased in the last several decades and will continue to increase in the future. If someone becomes a non-practicing Christian, they're still a Christian unless they decide to abandon Christianity completely. Even many people in the U.S. who have a religion don't have nearly as much religious influence on their lives and views as they had several decades ago. I seriously doubt most Americans would view electing non-religious people as a power struggle. They will just view it as a step forward for progress and religious toleration. Europe has already become pretty secular, and the U.S. would probably be like Europe in that regard in several decades. And yes, as the U.S. becomes increasingly secular and non-religious, more non-religious candidates and candidates of non-Judaeo-Christian faiths will be elected to office (heck, a lot of current politicians might secretly be non-religious but refuse to say so in public) and religion will become less and less of a deal in how the American people vote. This will allow the U.S. to elect a non-Christian President (and even a non-Judaeo-Christian President) sometime in the future, most likely in the late 21st century or sometime in the 22nd century.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2010, 01:37:24 AM »

tl;dr
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

Soon, I'd imagine. A Muslim or atheist running would create a huge frenzy in the media and the blogosphere, but I really don't think it would ultimately impact the candidates' chances much (particularly if they don't need the deep south to win).
milhouse24
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »

I never said I explicitly wanted a Jewish President. I just said that you overestimate how hard it is going to be to elect one since over 90% of Americans have said that they are willing to vote for a Jewish President (and this was back in 2000, so it's probably even more now). If the right candidate comes along, we could easily elect a Jewish President. It doesn't matter if they're Senators, Governors, or have some other office. It just matter if they're experienced and if they run good campaigns. I seriously doubt Lieberman would have been a disaster as VP or as President. Lieberman wouldn't have had any power as VP and I don't see him doing anything that bad as President. So what if he supports Israel? Most politicians in the U.S. support Israel, and frankly, for the most part, Israel didn't really do much wrong in the last ten years. Even if the media was focused on the Middle East after 9/11, that still didn't stop Bush from being reelected despite the fact that most Arabs hated him a lot after he invaded Iraq. This gives me the impression that Americans don't vote based on how the Middle East and other areas of the world want them to vote. I seriously doubt there will be much accusations of religious favoritism if a non-Christian candidate runs for President. I don't think many people have accused JFK of religious favoritism, and that was half a century ago.

My point was that due to frequent intermarriage and increasing religious diversity in the U.S., Americans are becoming more religiously tolerant. You might not know this, but a majority of Jews in the U.S. have already intermarried with people of other religions.

Polls show that the younger generation is more religiously tolerant than the older generation, and thus this trend will only continue in the future.

By non-religious people, the polls mean people without any religion whatsoever. That % has increased in the last several decades and will continue to increase in the future. If someone becomes a non-practicing Christian, they're still a Christian unless they decide to abandon Christianity completely. Even many people in the U.S. who have a religion don't have nearly as much religious influence on their lives and views as they had several decades ago. I seriously doubt most Americans would view electing non-religious people as a power struggle.

They will just view it as a step forward for progress and religious toleration. Europe has already become pretty secular, and the U.S. would probably be like Europe in that regard in several decades.

And yes, as the U.S. becomes increasingly secular and non-religious, more non-religious candidates and candidates of non-Judaeo-Christian faiths will be elected to office (heck, a lot of current politicians might secretly be non-religious but refuse to say so in public) and religion will become less and less of a deal in how the American people vote. This will allow the U.S. to elect a non-Christian President (and even a non-Judaeo-Christian President) sometime in the future, most likely in the late 21st century or sometime in the 22nd century.
Because of inter-marriage, I think an ethnically half-Jewish president would be elected President just like Obama was half-white and half-black, and was able to connect with both White Suburban voters and Black voters.  A weakened Christian population will allow people of other faiths to rise in politics.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies