The Curious Case of Alvin Greene
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Curious Case of Alvin Greene
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Alvin Greene  (Read 15408 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »

US of course.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No. People on one plantation (provided they hadn't broken down in the war anyways) didn't all get one surname, presumably their owners.
Rather, the pattern of surname adoption (in SC - the state studied. I'm doing this from memory) is vaguely reminiscent of Frederick Douglass' dictum of "give a man a bad master, and he will aspire to a good master" - virtually noone took their last owner's name (and those who did were basically making a direct statement about their biological father's identity), but most people took the names of former owners, relatives or business aquaintances of their owners, or other major slaveholders in the same region. (Which are categories with gigantic overlap anyways.)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2010, 03:26:41 AM »

And to think that the state was Black majority for much of that period...

It's actually quite tragic obviously, but (and this is a question to anyone) why hasn't there been a black Democrat on the ballot for senate or governor? You'd think since the 70's that it would have happened since so many of the Democratic voters there are black. I mean, sure the good old boy network was probably still in place in the 70s and 80s, but if blacks were voting in primaries then why hasn't this happened in the last 20 years?

Virginia elected a black governor in 1990. Harvey Gantt was the Dem nominee for senate twice in North Carolina in 90 and 96. Andrew Young was almost the senate candidate in Georgia in 1990, and Denise Majette was in 2004. There was a black nominee for gov in Mississippi in 2000, Troy Brown. We all know about Harold Ford. The senate nominee in Alabama in 08 was a black woman. There were two black gubernatorial nominees in Louisiana in the 90s. Am I missing any?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2010, 03:50:44 AM »

Well in SC, one of the Senate seats was of course taken by Fritz Hollings until quite recently. But why Strom Thurmond never had a Black sacrificial lamb against him... I dunno.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »

I find it rather amusing that nobody bothered to explain, or at least speculate, how this guy found the money to file for election and why he even decided to do that.

I mean, the guy is an indigent accused for felony but all of a sudden decides that it would be a good idea to run for the US Senate? What's wrong with this picture?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:44 AM »

I mean, the guy is an indigent accused for felony but all of a sudden decides that it would be a good idea to run for the US Senate?

He's crazy?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »

Px, have you read my comments in this thread at all?

He qualified for a public defender a few months ago, and to do that you have to basically prove in court that you don't have 10k in the bank, and he's been unemployed since.  And on top of that, he spent no time actually campaigning despite that massive investment
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »

I'm actually more interested in why it costs that kind of money to file for election? Seems it's not even a deposit? How can that be constitutional in any democracy? Pretty perv.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:24 AM »

He qualified for a public defender a few months ago, and to do that you have to basically prove in court that you don't have 10k in the bank, and he's been unemployed since.  And on top of that, he spent no time actually campaigning despite that massive investment

I've read them. But our Republican forumites seem to ignore all these bizarre facts and focus on strawmen like voter fraud.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »

I've read them. But our Republican forumites seem to ignore all these bizarre facts and focus on strawmen like voter fraud.

It's also really hard to get outraged over "maybe something bad happened here." Especially when the result has no impact on who wins in November.

If someone finds some actual evidence of wrong doing, then we'll have a story going.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »

In the 1930 census, I have "Green" being 66.0% white, while "Greene" is 79.3% white.  Obviously, there are big caveats on this (namely, that the census had names written down by enumerators, who often didn't ask for spellings of names... woe upon those who were illiterate Tongue), but... at least it's data rather than anecdote.
Is this for South Carolina or the US?

There could be big regional differences.  If there is a large slave plantation like you had in South Carolina, then it would be like some Mormon polygamist with dozens of "children" who have his surname.

I think that Greene would be a favored spelling in South Carolina (and perhaps much of the US, because of Nathanael Greene, who was head of American forces in the south during the Revolution.

There are counties named for Greene in NY, PA, VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, AR, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MO, and IA.  Practically every state that had any counties to be named after someone, up through about the mid 19th century named a county for him.  Greenville, South Carolina and Greensboro, NC are both named for him.

So if you weren't sure how your name was spelled, you might be more likely to choose Greene, if that is the way it was spelled in your history books.

Nice hypothesis, but...

White Greens: 571
Black Greens: 2308
White Greenes: 139
Black Greenes: 176

(in 1930.  caveats apply)

"Greene", in general, is a much less common last name than "Green".
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

I'm actually more interested in why it costs that kind of money to file for election? Seems it's not even a deposit? How can that be constitutional in any democracy? Pretty perv.

I'm more bothered by the fact that you can be denied a public defender if you aren't poor enough.

As for why the deposit is so high though, remember that this is South Carolina, which has never exactly been a bastion of good democratic practices. They can't get away with the poll taxes anymore but this is different.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »

I'm more bothered by the fact that you can be denied a public defender if you aren't poor enough.

I've never heard of a law like that in any other state before.....is South Carolina unique?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »

If this election ever does become close (and I mean this without scandals or similar anomalies), SC has some serious problems to take care of.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

I think we're really missing something here when we call him crazy or slow. He did graduate from the University of South Carolina, which stereotypes aside, is a really good school. After that he was an intelligence officer in the military. I don't know for a fact he was an officer, he might have been enlisted, but every site is saying he was in the Air Force and Army for 13 years, and if he graduated college in 2000 I assume he did ROTC. Plus the circumstances would lead me to believe that he was an officer; usually the Army doesn't just give involuntarily honorable discharges to slow people that are enlisted.

So how did this guy accomplish those two things? The mystery to me is squaring the two facts that we have: a) he graduated from college and was intel in the Air Force and Army, and b) he's obviously got something wrong with him.

If he was in the Army for the entire last decade he had to have been to Iraq, he just had to. If not then he would have been in Afghanistan at least. Why have we only heard about him serving in Korea? Is this a case of PTSD that the Army just sort of washed it's hands of? Hopefully we here more about this because the media has been a failure in reporting on it so far.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »

If this election ever does become close (and I mean this without scandals or similar anomalies), SC has some serious problems to take care of.

The "serious problem" here mostly stems from a SC Democratic Party that's unable to run a candidate for State Senate who's unable to beat, essentially, a nobody with an attractive sounding last name.

If Greene is indeed a Republican shell candidate, then the SC GOP needs lessons on how to better run shell candidates.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »

Well, this is an issue because there seems to be SOMETHING shady going on, and while DeMint will be reelected, I think it deserves sorting out.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »

I've never heard of a law like that in any other state before.....is South Carolina unique?

It's like that in a lot of states, including Virginia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

Yeah, that's a disgusting little detail. I suppose the justification is some bullshit along the lines of 'the costs of running the election'.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

Sometimes parties also allow a petitioning alternative, like Kendrick Meek forwent the $5,000 fee and collected the thousands of signatures instead.  It's a fee that the South Carolina Democratic Party charges for automatic ballot access on a statewide, federal race, not sure if there is a petitioning alternative.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »

That's how most states do it. In Minnesota you need either 2000 signatures or a $400 fee for Senate, and that's the stiffest requirement for any office. I'm not sure how many signatures SC requires, but that is a pretty draconian filing fee regardless.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »

Well, this is an issue because there seems to be SOMETHING shady going on, and while DeMint will be reelected, I think it deserves sorting out.

I think this is likely a case where Democrats want there to be a lot more to this than there is. Obviously, there are a lot of talented, well-paid folks taking a look at Greene and what happened in this election, so you may still get your answer. You seem to be the only one asking the right questions.

I think that the other question -- how can one guy no one knows beat some other guy no one knows -- is pretty ridiculous. Despite that, though, Dave Axelrod and other Democrats seem to be focusing on it.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »

This story is sad.  It's amazing to me how all the dems are trying to question this guys background as if he isn't good enough to be on their ticket.  It's pretty close to racist with some of the questions in the media like where did this black man get his money?  He's a republican plant. etc.

No one seemed to be asking these questions when dems were electing another certain black man who came from nowhere and had an even shadier background than Greene.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »

Some of it may be to do with the fact that Greene is Black, not mixed.

But... well... for a total nobody to be a Senate paper candidate? Not state house, county sheriff (of a major county), whatever? When's the last time that happened? Great Depression era?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

The guy is unemployed. What unemployed regular joe has $10,000 sitting around that they can spend on a run for the US Senate that they have no intention of doing any campaigning for! It's like throwing money in the trash.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »

This story is sad.  It's amazing to me how all the dems are trying to question this guys background as if he isn't good enough to be on their ticket.  It's pretty close to racist with some of the questions in the media like where did this black man get his money?  He's a republican plant. etc.

No one seemed to be asking these questions when dems were electing another certain black man who came from nowhere and had an even shadier background than Greene.

Congratulations!

Your post was so hackishly anti-Obama, you've earned a rare honor, a spot on my personal ignore list.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies