John McCain with running mate... MIKE HUCKABEE.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:33:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  John McCain with running mate... MIKE HUCKABEE.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John McCain with running mate... MIKE HUCKABEE.  (Read 2477 times)
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:39:45 AM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »

While I think Huckabee was a stronger pick, McCain winning Maine and Iowa seems a bit off the wall.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »

AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »

I think the only difference with Huckabee is that he wins Virginia, and possibly Indiana. Other than that, still an Obama win. I cant think of any republican running mate that would change it, or another republican Presidential candidate that would do that.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »

I think the only difference with Huckabee is that he wins Virginia, and possibly Indiana. Other than that, still an Obama win. I cant think of any republican running mate that would change it, or another republican Presidential candidate that would do that.

He wins Virginia and Indiana, but not North Carolina?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

He wins Virginia and Indiana, but not North Carolina?

I think he meant to include NC.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »

I've got a question. Why would McCain have better results with Huckabee than with Palin? They're both appealing for the evangelicals, but isn't he regarded as economically leftist? In what way would have helped that to their ticket?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »

I've got a question. Why would McCain have better results with Huckabee than with Palin? They're both appealing for the evangelicals, but isn't he regarded as economically leftist? In what way would have helped that to their ticket?

Huckabee would not have alienated voters with embarrassing gaffes the way Palin did. He would also appeal to voters more strongly in the South and among those prone to populism.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:39 PM »

This
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:42 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2010, 10:07:21 PM by shua »

my map ended up looking like Libertas' - only with some differences in percentages. A Huckabee VP would make the whole election less polarizing, allowing McCain to pick up a couple of percentage in most states, knocking down the number of states where Obama's above 60 percent.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »

Flip NC.

TC's map is insane.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »

My reasoning was that Maine has a huge Republican county that stands out in New England. Iowa is farmers country that turned out in droves for Huck during the primaries.
Montana's enviro-record prevents them from voting for MacHuck and decides the election.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »

My reasoning was that Maine has a huge Republican county that stands out in New England. Iowa is farmers country that turned out in droves for Huck during the primaries.
Montana's enviro-record prevents them from voting for MacHuck and decides the election.

The corn issue made McCain DOA on Iowa. Also McCain already won that one county in Maine. His support in New England was pretty much maxed out after the financial crisis regardless of running mate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »

The corn issue made McCain DOA on Iowa. Also McCain already won that one county in Maine. His support in New England was pretty much maxed out after the financial crisis regardless of running mate.
true, though Huckabee would be a natural favorite of the corn farmers, on this issue he's opposite of the top of the ticket.  I do think Huckabee's brand of populism would have helped McCain's campaign in the financial crisis, though probably not enough to win even the 2nd district in Maine.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »

true, though Huckabee would be a natural favorite of the corn farmers, on this issue he's opposite of the top of the ticket.  I do think Huckabee's brand of populism would have helped McCain's campaign in the financial crisis, though probably not enough to win even the 2nd district in Maine.

Not to mention New Hampshire would have flipped long before Maine.

Also it'd be pretty tough for McCain to win ME-AL while Obama is taking ME-01 with >60%.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

http://

I don't see McCain with a better running mate really. Even though McCain loses as badly as he did in most states, Huckabee delivers FL and OH. As a candidate I think Huckabee would've carried VA and OH where McCain didn't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »

I forgot to include Iowa. Maybe Huckabee would've given McCain a solid chance based on voter turnout. What about Colorado?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies