Government Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 08:00:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Government Reform
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Government Reform  (Read 2487 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 02:21:56 AM »

Supply and demand?  Demand for healthcare would not change without medicare.  Supply of care without billions of guaranteed medicare dollars flowing through the industry would decline into an epically catastrophic shortage.

Replacing income taxes with a VAT wouldn't increase revenues.  It would just replace them. 
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »

1. Ban soft money from federal campaigns.
2. $2,500 limit on individual contributions.
3. $5,000 limit on couples’ contributions.
4. $200,000,000 limit on money spent in federal elections.
5. Candidates must disclose all donors.
6. Candidates may not opt out of public financing.
7. Proof of citizenship and voter registration at the ballot box.
8. Limit absentee ballots to military and hospital patients only.
9. No national language because Indians were here before the earliest European settlers.
10. Maine must vote as a state in Presidential Elections.
11. Nebraska must vote as a state in Presidential Elections.
12. U.S. House members limited to six two-year terms.
13. U.S. Senate members limited to two six-year terms.
14. Congress only meets twice a week.
15. 25% pay cut for congressmen.
16. President’s salary cut from $400,000 to $250,000.
17. Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget at the end of each year.
18. Cut 20% of federal programs to pay off national debt.
19. End corporate welfare by enforcing ideals of true capitalism.
20. Voting age remains 18, even though it only encourages informed voters to vote.

Bolded is what I agree to.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 02:26:06 AM »

Supply and demand?  Demand for healthcare would not change without medicare.  Supply of care without billions of guaranteed medicare dollars flowing through the industry would decline into an epically catastrophic shortage.

Replacing income taxes with a VAT wouldn't increase revenues.  It would just replace them. 

When you end taxes more money flows into the private sector and wealth is created. More Americans would be able to afford the increased user fees and VAT because instead of the money going to the government, it's going towards creating jobs. As more jobs are created, more people have money. The more money that is spent and taxed with the VAT, the higher our government's incoming revenue will be.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »

Let's face it an extremely high amount of profits for the medical field come from seniors who have prescription drugs. If medicare was cut, then surely prices of these medicines will go down or the medical field would take a massive hit. Seniors are the medical field's best friends and it's because people who have health problems tend to be older in age. Demand wouldn't change, but the supply would have to remain the same in order to keep staying in business. Their profits may not be as high but that's a whole different can of worms.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 02:30:50 AM »

All 50 states should vote the way Maine and Nebraska do.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 02:38:45 AM »

See I completely disagree. We're meant to be a nation where the winner is elected by a majority of people from the majority of states and it's done through an Electoral College. Popular votes are very dangerous and bring a mob mentality where all you have to do is appeal to the masses. We're supposed to vote as states, not districts. Districts decide on who their representative will be in Washington.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 02:39:40 AM »

When you end taxes more money flows into the private sector and wealth is created. More Americans would be able to afford the increased user fees and VAT because instead of the money going to the government, it's going towards creating jobs. As more jobs are created, more people have money. The more money that is spent and taxed with the VAT, the higher our government's incoming revenue will be.

Uh no.  Do you even know what a VAT is?

If anything a VAT would encourage LESS spending.  Sure, people would have more cash in their pockets, but everything would become so enormously expensive that people likely would save more than anything.  The administration of taxation would change, but the deficit and the job market wouldn't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:41:39 AM »

Uh no.  Do you even know what a VAT is?

If anything a VAT would encourage LESS spending.  Sure, people would have more cash in their pockets, but everything would become so enormously expensive that people likely would save more than anything.  The administration of taxation would change, but the deficit and the job market wouldn't.

I'm going to put that on here later. This forum was for discussing how our government could work better and how we can make it smaller.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »

See I completely disagree. We're meant to be a nation where the winner is elected by a majority of people from the majority of states and it's done through an Electoral College. Popular votes are very dangerous and bring a mob mentality where all you have to do is appeal to the masses. We're supposed to vote as states, not districts. Districts decide on who their representative will be in Washington.
Making a national popular vote would enable your "mob mentality" scenario. My proposal would do the opposite.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 02:46:22 AM »

This forum was for discussing how our government could work better and how we can make it smaller.

I understand what this is about.  I want to know how you plan to make it smaller without really changing anything. 

Term limits and cutting the President's salary by a few thousand and all that is hooey that doesn't lead to any real change.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »

This forum was for discussing how our government could work better and how we can make it smaller.

I understand what this is about.  I want to know how you plan to make it smaller without really changing anything. 

Term limits and cutting the President's salary by a few thousand and all that is hooey that doesn't lead to any real change.

The biggest changes were:

balanced budget amendment in the constitution
term limits
ban soft money to federal campaigns to limit power of corporations and unions
require voter ID to prevent voter fraud
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 02:50:38 AM »

Oh and those absentee ballots are nothing more than a political tool. You realize how many people asked me if I'd voted yet 2 weeks before the 2008 election? I replied that I thought it was only once every 4 years. If voting isn't important enough to you and you're not overseas serving or hospitalized, then better luck in the next election. No more "we're going on vacation so can we fill out an absentee?"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 02:53:48 AM »

term limits

1) Taxes raised, economy slowed.  I like the idea, but it will mean we will have to have a tax rate that automatically adjusts to pay.
2) Gridlock due to lack of veteran majority leadership or tyranny do to lack of veteran minority leadership, whichever you prefer
3) Good idea.  Would likely increased to increased regulations on business.
4) No effect on our government
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »

term limits

1) Taxes raised, economy slowed.  I like the idea, but it will mean we will have to have a tax rate that automatically adjusts to pay.
2) Gridlock due to lack of veteran majority leadership or tyranny do to lack of veteran minority leadership, whichever you prefer
3) Good idea.  Would likely increased to increased regulations on business.
4) No effect on our government

Grid locks aren't necessarily bad. Look just because a politician says we should panic about something doesn't mean we have to. If there is a grid lock, then maybe the issue is best left alone and it's really not a huge problem. We don't need politicians who have been there for years thinking they know everything and getting their way all the time JUST TO BREAK A GRIDLOCK. What's a good idea? What has no effect on the government? I never said raise taxes.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

Yes, but how do we balance a budget by constitutional requirement? Cancel Medicare?

We'd have to raise taxes to cover shortfalls then find ways to cut spending later.  Balanced budget amendment only works in the late 90s when we already have a surplus and we want to keep it.  We have to fix the budget before we require it always stay fixed.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 03:04:07 AM »

Yes, but how do we balance a budget by constitutional requirement? Cancel Medicare?

We'd have to raise taxes to cover shortfalls then find ways to cut spending later.  Balanced budget amendment only works in the late 90s when we already have a surplus and we want to keep it.  We have to fix the budget before we require it always stay fixed.

I'll describe that in my economic policy. Simply cutting spending isn't all that you do I know. I've had enough for the night and I'm going to bed. Good night everybody. (I'm serious though it's 4am here.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »

Well I've heard some of the more mainstream libertarians propose replacing medicare and medicaid with vouchers + the usual market reforms. Doesn't sound that bad considering the alternatives.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »

Well I've heard some of the more mainstream libertarians propose replacing medicare and medicaid with vouchers + the usual market reforms. Doesn't sound that bad considering the alternatives.

interesting
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

And another thing, do you realize how many of the wealthiest companies only remain in business because of bailouts that are awarded based on how much money is donated to political campaigns. The ma and pa store that doesn't donate a dime doesn't stand the chance that it used to. That's why I advocate a BAN ON SOFT MONEY towards political campaigns.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »

interesting

Mike Gravel and Ronald Bailey both proposed it.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »

interesting

Mike Gravel and Ronald Bailey both proposed it.

What did they propose?
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »

idk seems all technical stuff. Why cant it just be about doing drugs and making love?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »

idk seems all technical stuff. Why cant it just be about doing drugs and making love?

Thank you for proving my point. ^^
WillK

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 07:42:15 AM »

What do you think of a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget at the end of each year?

Terrible idea.  Combined with your other ideas (tax changes, defense spending increases, education spending increases), would result in fiscal chaos for this country.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »

What do you think of a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget at the end of each year?

Terrible idea.  Combined with your other ideas (tax changes, defense spending increases, education spending increases), would result in fiscal chaos for this country.

I don't necessarily call for an "increase" on education spending. It's how the money is spent that I have a problem with.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies