The Island (Election and Governing Game)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:39:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Island (Election and Governing Game)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: The Island (Election and Governing Game)  (Read 13836 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 03:54:52 AM »

In the mean time, I'll take this opportunity to get to know my constituents a little better.

They are idiots. Sheeple waiting for commands from the government and the top political players.

You've got more information on the community.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You now also know that...
83 are "white", 8 are "east asian", 4 are "african" 3 are "south asian" and 2 are "middle eastern". Of the "white" people, 7 are "hispanic"
49 have black or darn brown hair
26 have lighter brown hair
12 have blonde hair
11 have red hair
2 have grey hair

The oldest member Is Harry. He is 63, and has a number of tattoos. He is the only member with a weapon, a pocket knife. He says he is a former marine, and the tatts back the story up. He lists his interests as "killin", "thrillin" and "grillin"

The youngest member is Bobby. He is 13 "and 3 days". He seems at a loss to be where he is, but he curious and wishes to learn more.

Jenny is 18 and has red hair. She is determined to do more for the community.

Paul is 23 and has experience in civics and politics.

You also are able to figure out that no one is hungry yet, and the weather is very calm and comfortable. Many people are already stretching out on the sand for a sleep.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »

Hey, I'd be up for playing, in the role of Health minister.

Also, can I back-story a bit and suggest that 'groups formed quickly, based more on nationality than any other clear factor'? It seems likely that groups would form, and nationality seems like an obvious initial point of division.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »

You are now the health minister!

And no groups of any sort have formed. People are generally waiting for orders from the higher ups. Again, so far, you've only been here for 8 or so hours.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2010, 04:49:02 AM »

sure, but people are likely to do something other than jkust stand around not talking to anyone, no matter how dumb they are.

Also, as health minister I require those with medical training to make themselves known to me, and those with prescription medications to collect their pills; they will be responsible for the management of their own dosage unless judged mentally unsound. If that is the case, I will ensure they take their pills at appropriate intervals.

I would also ask the President for the following information and supplies from the box, all of which will be needed within a fortnight, in order of importance:

1. Directions for access to a strong supply of clean, potable water. This is absolutely the single most important request to make on the first day.
2. Firemaking equipment. Not only for cooking and warmth, but also for sterilization.
3. First aid supplies. Obvious, really.
4. Insect repellant, mosquito nets and coils, mouse traps and other weapons against vermin and bugs.
5. Surgical supplies. While it is possible to perform surgeries without them, it's a hell of a lot easier with them, and I can gaurantee that if we're out here for longer than 28 days, with this many people in this kind of environment, we'll need it.
6. "Anatomy, Medicine and Surgery for Dummies" (or current, relevant and best-source medical texts, anyway), to ensure those with skills in this area maintain their skill base, and others chan be trained up for use in times of crisis as medics or as nurses.

There are other things that would be good, but those six will give the health area a strong start, and more than almost any other area we cannoty fall behind in health. It's easy to ignore this area, but if you do when a health crisis strikes, the blood will be on your hands.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 05:02:30 AM »

sure, but people are likely to do something other than jkust stand around not talking to anyone, no matter how dumb they are.

Also, as health minister I require those with medical training to make themselves known to me, and those with prescription medications to collect their pills; they will be responsible for the management of their own dosage unless judged mentally unsound. If that is the case, I will ensure they take their pills at appropriate intervals.

I would also ask the President for the following information and supplies from the box, all of which will be needed within a fortnight, in order of importance:

1. Directions for access to a strong supply of clean, potable water. This is absolutely the single most important request to make on the first day.
2. Firemaking equipment. Not only for cooking and warmth, but also for sterilization.
3. First aid supplies. Obvious, really.
4. Insect repellant, mosquito nets and coils, mouse traps and other weapons against vermin and bugs.
5. Surgical supplies. While it is possible to perform surgeries without them, it's a hell of a lot easier with them, and I can gaurantee that if we're out here for longer than 28 days, with this many people in this kind of environment, we'll need it.
6. "Anatomy, Medicine and Surgery for Dummies" (or current, relevant and best-source medical texts, anyway), to ensure those with skills in this area maintain their skill base, and others chan be trained up for use in times of crisis as medics or as nurses.

There are other things that would be good, but those six will give the health area a strong start, and more than almost any other area we cannoty fall behind in health. It's easy to ignore this area, but if you do when a health crisis strikes, the blood will be on your hands.

People are chatting with one another, yes, but no one is making enemies.

One community member is a paramedic.

On your issues:
1 - Some people claim they can hear a river, and are waiting for morning to explore
4 - No bugs have yet been seen
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »

Bedtime for me again.

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »

Prior to the President entering the box, I would second Platypus's suggestion that water would be the most important thing to ask the robots about.

No bugs at all? What kind of climate does this "island" seem to have?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

I will ask the robots about all those issues
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2010, 02:33:13 PM by Vazdul »

The robots have mandated that you can only ask one thing per day. Your Health and Liaison Secretaries have suggested that you ask where a source of water may be found first.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »

The robots have mandated that you can only ask one thing per day. Your Health and Liaison Secretaries have suggested that you ask where a source of water may be found first.

Alright, the water issue will be discussed today.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »

"THERE IS A RIVER TO YOUR EAST, A LAKE TO YOUR NORTHEAST, BOTH ARE CLEAN SOURCES OF POTABLE WATER"

With that, the red light on the top of the box turned off, and you got the sudden feeling that it's time to exit the box.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2010, 07:29:11 PM »

I exit the door and head outside
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »

Your Labour minister wishes for your guidance in splitting up the community for work tomorrow.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »

"Mr. President, I recommend that exploration be a top priority until we have found adequate sources of food, water, and other resources."
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26:26 AM »

I agree that we need to start up labor on the island, but we must explore the island beforehand to find good enough resources.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2010, 12:47:30 AM »

The Labour minister has presented you with the following proposal for labour tomorrow.

Exp - 50
DoFaW - 20 *
Shelter - 17 *
Res - 4 *
Def - 4 *
Labour - 1
Health - 1
CS - 1
Liaison - 1
President - 1

* = will join in the Exp group to explore, upon funding suitable materials, will revert to "standard" job.

The Labour minister proposes that they all set out in some amorphous blob and wander aimlessly.
The Exp minister proposes that they split into three groups, as even as possible, and explore North, East, and West.
DoFaW, hearing that water is to the east proposes to send their 20 people east to find Food and Water
Shelter, noticing threes with small branches and large leafs, propose sending their 17 people North to retrieve those materials.
Both suggest sending the remainder of the group West.
Def proposes sending one defender with each of 3 groups and keeping one behind to protest the Box

Once a decision has been made, everyone will sleep, wake, and begin the next day.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:56 AM »

On Climate.

The weather appears to be 21C/72F, and there is a noticeable lack of breeze. It may dip to 18C/64F overnight.

Also, no insects of any sort have been spotted yet, nor have any animals or birds even. No fish have been sighted, but they may be hiding under the water.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »

Def proposes sending one defender with each of 3 groups and keeping one behind to protest the Box

What does the Defense Minister have against the box?Tongue

"I agree with the Exploration Minister that they should split up. I propose that the majority of the workers in the Food and Water Department head in the direction of the water source, but I propose that some go with the other groups. I propose that workers in the Resources Department be spread out evenly amongst the groups, with the extra accompanying the group that heads north. I also agree with the Defense Minister in that a defender should accompany each group, with one remaining behind to guard the box."
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »

Protect sorry Tongue Then again, Harry is a bit eccentric.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2010, 01:23:37 AM »

Protect sorry Tongue Then again, Harry is a bit eccentric.

Yeah, he seems like the kind of person who'd think outside the box. Or protest against it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »

Alright sounds good
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2010, 01:53:45 AM »

Alright! I press my magic fast forward button and it is now tomorrow!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »

"Early Reports" - (around 9am)

DoFaW has started to bring back the foods found, and is currently placing them on the "Stage" due to lack of other storage area.

Shelter is collecting numerous branches and trying to figure out how to turn this into something of use.

Exploration would like permission to continue both west and east for quite a distance, and to only return at sunset. A small group would also follow the river to the supposed lake.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2010, 08:06:10 AM »

Actually, I wanna get movin, so pretend they never came back, and at sunset, came back with this:

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »

As sunset approached, it got hazy, and the distance could not be seen.

DoFaW wants more employees to gather the found foods
Shelter also wants more employees to gather branches and find some way to build them into shelter (So far they have been failing miserably)
Exploration is alright with losing a few people. They want to send a main party to explore the mountain early in the morning and make a map of the entire island, which they feel is visible from up there, then have them return with the map before deciding where to send people for the afternoon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies