AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:07:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare  (Read 6236 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »

\
Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?

The fact that there have been much more tyrannical regimes in the past does not make government coercion to buy something any less of an infringement on individual liberty.

YES IT DOES.  PERSPECTIVE.

If I steal a penny from you, it's a not a great injustice.  It's "theft" in only the most minor of sense, not even notable to proclaim about.  

PERSPECTIVE is important, as is VOCABULARY which can determine the extreme of an action.  By using the most extreme of words possible, you diminish legitimate suffering and actual tyranny in the name of being absorbed in your own isolated, safe world.  

OF COURSE it isn't as bad as being shot for saying Obama is a fascist, but it is still an infringement on personal liberty.

But that's why we have this great vocabulary in the English language to describe various extremes!

Like, I can describe my coffee as warm, hot, boiling, etc.  I don't have to refer to everything as boiling!  If everyone referred to everything warmer than room temperature as boiling, the meaning of boiling would lose its essential meaning as an extreme modifier.  Likewise,  there are various words we can use towards coerced action besides tyranny based on the illegitimacy and suffering associated with it!  By haphazardly slapping the word "tyranny" at everything you don't like in the world, you end up both undermining your own credibility and, in effect, desensitizing our language towards ACTUAL tyranny that must be confronted in the strongest of possible terms.  
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »

If the government is subsidizing their strip club visits, what's the problem?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »

If the government is subsidizing their strip club visits, what's the problem?

That's different than if people are being forced to go to strip clubs.  Durr hurr.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

My point is if people are forced to visit strip clubs but their visits are subsidized, what's the problem and who is hurt?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

My point is if people are forced to visit strip clubs but their visits are subsidized, what's the problem and who is hurt?

The people who don't want to be forced to visit strip clubs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 11:29:08 PM »

Well I'm not one of them. I am one of the people who doesn't want to buy health insurance, but I still support the law in question.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »

Well I'm not one of them.

Then you have a selfish disregard for other people's freedoms.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »

But you've never answered my point about me supporting the law despite currently not buying health insurance by choice.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »

But you've never answered my point about me supporting the law despite currently not buying health insurance by choice.

That's because being coerced by the government to buy something doesn't bother you, as long as you're being subsidized for it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »

Only BRTD can turn about a topic about a poll of HCR into being forced to visit Strip Clubs... Grin
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »

Mogan, did you miss my post?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »

No.

Your post implies that I'm calling everything I just don't like tyranny, and that the government forcing people to buy something isn't "actual tyranny."  It may not be the highest form of tyranny possible, but that doesn't make it okay.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2010, 05:20:17 PM by Lunar »

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  While I believe it is okay, and a good idea, that's rather irrelevant, what's important is what you believe [although, your dismissive way of saying "So you support tyranny?" without elaboration is kinda meh].

So, do you see the problem when we use the most extreme words to describe something that is not extreme?  Like, why not say coercion instead of tyranny?  By abusing the word tyranny and slapping that on everything which doesn't represent something that is intense, you do a disservice to actual tyranny.  

Here, lets take a glance at the definition:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See?  Absolute?  Extreme harshness?  Tyranny which is "not of the highest form," as you call it, may actually be something else entirely!

Plenty of other words are abused too.  Pundits' desire to label every militant a "terrorist" does a disservice to our ability to distinguish between those who target civilians & spread terror and those who target only our military.  Now, because people abused the word "terrorist" so much, I don't know if most Americans even know what it is anymore, which is a tragedy.  
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »

That's not the issue.  It's people being forced to buy health insurance.  Forced.

But who cares if you're being forced to do something you're doing anyway? I wouldn't be bothered by the government forcing people to visit strip clubs.

Bad analogy.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  While I believe it is okay, and a good idea, that's rather irrelevant, what's important is what you believe [although, your dismissive way of saying "So you support tyranny?" without elaboration is kinda meh].

So, do you see the problem when we use the most extreme words to describe something that is not extreme?  Like, why not say coercion instead of tyranny?  By abusing the word tyranny and slapping that on everything which doesn't represent something that is intense, you do a disservice to actual tyranny.  

Here, lets take a glance at the definition:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See?  Absolute?  Extreme harshness?  Tyranny which is "not of the highest form," as you call it, may actually be something else entirely!

Plenty of other words are abused too.  Pundits desire to label every militant a "terrorist" does a disservice to our ability to distinguish between those who target civilians & spread terror and those who target only our military.  Now, because people abused the word "terrorist" so much, I don't know if most Americans even know what it is anymore, which is a tragedy.  

Dammit, Lunar, when I saw this thread I thought, "I'm going to post the definition of tyranny to show that Morgan has no clue what he's talking about."  Then I get to the end and someone's already done it.

Lunar's stealing my thoughts.  Must get tinfoil hat.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »

how are they hurt?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

how are they hurt?

They are required to spend time doing something that they have no desire to do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 03:31:34 AM »

how are they hurt?

Well given the attractiveness level of most of the lady entertainers at American striptease clubs, one can be hurt be losing one's mojo.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:19 AM »

Ah, the collective stupidity of the American people.
Yes, expanding coverage to more Americans is so stupid.  How dare we expect our democratically elected officials reform healthcare to lower costs and bring affordable preventive care to more Americans! 

Wasting money and denying those without the means to access healthcare is the Murican Way!  Cuz Ron Paul said so!  (both Ron and Rand can burn for eternity for all I care)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »

how are they hurt?

Well given the attractiveness level of most of the lady entertainers at American striptease clubs, one can be hurt be losing one's mojo.

I've only been to a stripclub once... and it was all college girls working there.  90% blond, thin, and hot as hell.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »

how are they hurt?

do we have to do sh**t all the time that we rather not do, and you will realize this when you grow up.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »

Some of you guys seem to subscribe to what could charitably be described as a loose definition of "tyranny".
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

Some of you guys seem to subscribe to what could charitably be described as a loose definition of "tyranny".

so do you support market tyranny?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

how are they hurt?

do we have to do sh**t all the time that we rather not do, and you will realize this when you grow up.

Because we are repaying a debt. Coercing people into doing something when they do not owe you anything is quite senseless.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 04:18:42 PM »

how are they hurt?

Because we are repaying a debt. Coercing people into doing something when they do not owe you anything is quite senseless.

So how do you plan on solving Adverse selection and the fact that if we don't have an individual mandate their will be idiots who are not buying health insurance, and thus making health premiums go up even further for those who do have healthcare?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies