AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare  (Read 6221 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

The response to the question

"In general, do you support, oppose or neither support nor oppose the health care reforms that were passed by Congress in March?"
3/10 & earlier: "In general, do you support, oppose or neither support nor oppose the health care reform plans being discussed in Congress?"

is now at a record high (45%) going all the way back to September 2009.

6/9-14/10
45    42    13    1    
5/7-11/10
39    46    14    1    
4/7-12/10
39    50    10    1    
3/3-8/10
41    43    12    4    
1/12-17/10
42    42    14    2    
12/10-14/09
36    44    18    2    
11/5-9/09
39    45    14    3    
10/1-5/09
40    40    17    3    
9/3-8/09
34    49    15    2
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »

Ah, the collective stupidity of the American people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »

Or perhaps some are realizing it's not the end of the world as was implied by the heavily critical media coverage. For most people, the effect is they now have some more protections from their insurance companies and a little more security in case of job loss.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »

Or perhaps some are realizing it's not the end of the world as was implied by the heavily critical media coverage.

Ignoring the fact that it doesn't take effect until like, 2014.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »

Or perhaps some are realizing it's not the end of the world as was implied by the heavily critical media coverage.

There are parts taking effect this year. I'm sure anyone with kids under 25 is in favor now.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »

There's alot of stuff that takes effect this year. 2014 is just the bulk of the program, such as subsidies and the like.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »

There are parts taking effect this year. I'm sure anyone with kids under 25 is in favor now.

There's alot of stuff that takes effect this year. 2014 is just the bulk of the program, such as subsidies and the like.

The tyrannical forcing of Americans to buy health insurance not being one of them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »

Most Americans already buy health insurance, so it just means they get subsidized. Still a win.

Morgan: you do realize that I am currently someone who does not buy health insurance by complete choice, and yet I still support the law regardless?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »

Most Americans already buy health insurance, so it just means they get subsidized. Still a win.

Except they are doing so by their own choice, not by government coercion.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »

Indeed...Only 45% support it?  That's ridiculously low.  The American people are indeed very stupid for opposing this reform.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »

Indeed...Only 45% support it?  That's ridiculously low.  The American people are indeed very stupid for opposing this reform.

Only forty-five percent support tyranny?  Terrible.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime.  

Don't you think you might be, um, exaggerating tyranny a tad?  Like if that's tyranny, what's North Korea?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime. 

They won't result in jail-time? So what happens if someone just flat-out refuses to comply? They will shoot him/her?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »

But they get subsidized for just doing something they're doing anyway. Where's the loss? Let's say the government passed a law requiring everyone to spend $x at a strip club every year but they would send you a check for that amount of money. Do you think I would be bothered by this law?

And once again, I am one person who is voluntarily not buying health insurance yet am now being "coerced" to do so. And I support the law. What does that say?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime. 

Being fined for not buying health insurance sure sounds like tyranny to me.

Also, I heard that the provisions regarding abortion would make it almost impossible to get one.  Can't remember where I read that, however.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »

But they get subsidized for just doing something they're doing anyway. Where's the loss? Let's say the government passed a law requiring everyone to spend $x at a strip club every year but they would send you a check for that amount of money. Do you think I would be bothered by this law?

You wouldn't, but an asexual prude like me certainly would.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On the flip-side, there are a lot of people who do voluntarily buy health insurance, who oppose this bill.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2010, 11:05:51 PM by Lunar »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime.  

Being fined for not buying health insurance sure sounds like tyranny to me.

Also, I heard that the provisions regarding abortion would make it almost impossible to get one.  Can't remember where I read that, however.

Um, that's not the case.  It's just harder for insurers who wish to receive government subsidies for any of their plans (participating in "exchanges") to also provide abortions for any of their plans.

So... the definition of tyranny is any sort of mandatory "fee" in society?  Lol.  What happened to perspective?  Soviet Russia?  North Korea?

You people are hilar.  Perspective, perspective, perspective.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:42 PM »

You wouldn't, but an asexual prude like me certainly would.

That's not the point. The question is why would I care about the government giving me money to do something I already do?

On the flip-side, there are a lot of people who do voluntarily buy health insurance, who oppose this bill.

Which is idiotic, since all that bill means for them is that they get subsidized to buy it now. It's basically free money for them.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »

That's not the point. The question is why would I care about the government giving me money to do something I already do?

Maybe some people believe in liberty.

Um, that's not the case.  It's just harder for insurers who wish to receive government subsidies for any of their plans (participating in "exchanges") to also provide abortions for any of their plans.

I'm sure that most people don't think about which insurer will provide an abortion if one is needed.  That provision will certainly make a lot of people's lives suck.

Doesn't make it any less tyrannical.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »

Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?  Some random fee imposed on society is TYRANNY... but what words are left to describe societies like Soviet Russia?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »

How is free money incompatible with liberty?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »

That's not the issue.  It's people being forced to buy health insurance.  Forced.

Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?

The fact that there have been much more tyrannical regimes in the past does not make government coercion to buy something any less of an infringement on individual liberty.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »

That's not the issue.  It's people being forced to buy health insurance.  Forced.

But who cares if you're being forced to do something you're doing anyway? I wouldn't be bothered by the government forcing people to visit strip clubs.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »

\

The fact that there have been much more tyrannical regimes in the past does not make government coercion to buy something any less of an infringement on individual liberty.

YES IT DOES.  PERSPECTIVE.

If I steal a penny from you, it's a not a great injustice.  It's "theft" in only the most minor of sense, not even notable to proclaim about.  

PERSPECTIVE is important, as is VOCABULARY which can determine the extreme of an action.  By using the most extreme of words possible, you diminish legitimate suffering and actual tyranny in the name of being absorbed in your own isolated, safe world. 
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »

\

YES IT DOES.  PERSPECTIVE.

If I steal a penny from you, it's a not a great injustice.  It's "theft" in only the most minor of sense, not even notable to proclaim about.  

PERSPECTIVE is important, as is VOCABULARY which can determine the extreme of an action.  By using the most extreme of words possible, you diminish legitimate suffering and actual tyranny in the name of being absorbed in your own isolated, safe world. 

OF COURSE it isn't as bad as being shot for saying Obama is a fascist, but it is still an infringement on personal liberty.

But who cares if you're being forced to do something you're doing anyway? I wouldn't be bothered by the government forcing people to visit strip clubs.

So it doesn't matter to you if the government is forcing people to go to strip clubs?  Don't you give a rat's ass at all about other people's freedoms?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies