AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AP Poll: Plurality now supports Obamacare  (Read 6300 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime.  

Don't you think you might be, um, exaggerating tyranny a tad?  Like if that's tyranny, what's North Korea?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2010, 11:05:51 PM by Lunar »

That is what tyranny looks like?  I thought it involved something more than ridiculously low fees for not purchasing something to join an insurance pool with explicit requirements that failure to pay such fees won't result in jailtime.  

Being fined for not buying health insurance sure sounds like tyranny to me.

Also, I heard that the provisions regarding abortion would make it almost impossible to get one.  Can't remember where I read that, however.

Um, that's not the case.  It's just harder for insurers who wish to receive government subsidies for any of their plans (participating in "exchanges") to also provide abortions for any of their plans.

So... the definition of tyranny is any sort of mandatory "fee" in society?  Lol.  What happened to perspective?  Soviet Russia?  North Korea?

You people are hilar.  Perspective, perspective, perspective.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »

Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?  Some random fee imposed on society is TYRANNY... but what words are left to describe societies like Soviet Russia?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »

\
Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?

The fact that there have been much more tyrannical regimes in the past does not make government coercion to buy something any less of an infringement on individual liberty.

YES IT DOES.  PERSPECTIVE.

If I steal a penny from you, it's a not a great injustice.  It's "theft" in only the most minor of sense, not even notable to proclaim about.  

PERSPECTIVE is important, as is VOCABULARY which can determine the extreme of an action.  By using the most extreme of words possible, you diminish legitimate suffering and actual tyranny in the name of being absorbed in your own isolated, safe world. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »

\
Huh?  So, the only options are maximum tyranny or no tyranny?

The fact that there have been much more tyrannical regimes in the past does not make government coercion to buy something any less of an infringement on individual liberty.

YES IT DOES.  PERSPECTIVE.

If I steal a penny from you, it's a not a great injustice.  It's "theft" in only the most minor of sense, not even notable to proclaim about.  

PERSPECTIVE is important, as is VOCABULARY which can determine the extreme of an action.  By using the most extreme of words possible, you diminish legitimate suffering and actual tyranny in the name of being absorbed in your own isolated, safe world.  

OF COURSE it isn't as bad as being shot for saying Obama is a fascist, but it is still an infringement on personal liberty.

But that's why we have this great vocabulary in the English language to describe various extremes!

Like, I can describe my coffee as warm, hot, boiling, etc.  I don't have to refer to everything as boiling!  If everyone referred to everything warmer than room temperature as boiling, the meaning of boiling would lose its essential meaning as an extreme modifier.  Likewise,  there are various words we can use towards coerced action besides tyranny based on the illegitimacy and suffering associated with it!  By haphazardly slapping the word "tyranny" at everything you don't like in the world, you end up both undermining your own credibility and, in effect, desensitizing our language towards ACTUAL tyranny that must be confronted in the strongest of possible terms.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »

Mogan, did you miss my post?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2010, 05:20:17 PM by Lunar »

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  While I believe it is okay, and a good idea, that's rather irrelevant, what's important is what you believe [although, your dismissive way of saying "So you support tyranny?" without elaboration is kinda meh].

So, do you see the problem when we use the most extreme words to describe something that is not extreme?  Like, why not say coercion instead of tyranny?  By abusing the word tyranny and slapping that on everything which doesn't represent something that is intense, you do a disservice to actual tyranny.  

Here, lets take a glance at the definition:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See?  Absolute?  Extreme harshness?  Tyranny which is "not of the highest form," as you call it, may actually be something else entirely!

Plenty of other words are abused too.  Pundits' desire to label every militant a "terrorist" does a disservice to our ability to distinguish between those who target civilians & spread terror and those who target only our military.  Now, because people abused the word "terrorist" so much, I don't know if most Americans even know what it is anymore, which is a tragedy.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies