Turning point
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:23:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Turning point
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What was the turning point?
The Democratic Convention

The Republican Convention

Debate # 1

Debate # 2

Debate # 3

The VP Debate

The Swift Boat Ads

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion... "

The Osama tape

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Turning point  (Read 7988 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2004, 09:47:46 AM »

No, 65,000 voters did not change their vote because of gay marriage.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2004, 09:49:46 AM »

Other:

The day when the Massachusetts judge struck down the gay marriage law. 

Bush's ability to capitalize on that and other moral issues won him the election and a solid majority.

You are absolutely right.
Don't forget, however, that the ignorance played a major role in these elections. Many of these "moral issues" voters sincerely believe that Sadam was the man behind 9/11.

About 40% of Kerry voters thought he wanted to pull troops out of Iraq, according to Rasmussen.

What's your source?
DanimalBr

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2004, 12:42:29 PM »

The way I see it, the lead in this race changed hands seven times.   Bush entered 2004 with a pretty high approval rating and heavily favored to be re-elected as he lead big over the guy who was thought to be the Dem nominee at that time, Howard Dean.  John Kerry pulled off a surprise win in the Iowa Caucuses and then the New Hampshier primary and from there on out the rest of the Democrat Primaries were a joke as one by one the other candidates fell off.  During all of Feburary and most of March, Kerry enjoyed domination of the primaries and good press.  While at that time Bush was being questioned about WMDs in Iraq due to a David Kay report.  In several Polls, Kerry took a substansial lead during that time and this forced the Bush team to start campaigning earlier than they probably were planning to.  When the primaries were over, Kerry's positive momentum slowly started to dwindle.  Bush regained the lead in April.  A key point there was at a town hall when Kerry was questioned about remarks he made about foriegn leaders who wanted to see him win.  He replied by saying "That's none of your business."  This got Kerry some bad press and hurt him in the polls.  In late April/early May, Kerry took the lead back as the focus of negative attention went back to Bush.  Richard Clarke and Bob Woodward came out with two anti-Bush books that got a lot of press.  Also at this time, violence in Iraq heated up to a daily struggle and the Iraq prision began to dominate the news headlines.  Bush's approval dropped significantly and this war probably the bleakest month for Bush during the campaign.  In June, former President Reagan died and this took a lot of attention off of Iraq and helped Bush regain a brief lead in the polls again.  But that was short lived as in early July, Kerry got a bump with his selection of John Edwards as his VP and he regained the lead in the polls.  This lead lasted the rest of the summer with the Democrat convention.  But although he had the lead, there were some troubling signs for Kerry in the polls as well.  Kerry got virtually no bounce after his convention and was unable to pull way ahead of Bush, which goes against history.  More troubles contiued for Kerry as the Swift Boat ads came out with a bunch of really damaging ads in August.  What little lead Kerry had diminished during August as the people began digesting these ads.  The Bush team took advantage of this and came out with a very sucessful contention at the end of August and surged to the biggest lead that either candidate had this whole campaign.  Bush enjoyed surging numbers the entire month of September as some polls even had his lead double digits.  The first debate was Bush's chance to put the campaign out of reach for Kerry.  But a very poor showing by Bush got Kerry back in the game.  In the first week of October, polls show Bush's huge lead evaporate to a dead heat.  But the next two debates were better showings for Bush as he was able stop the bleading he was suffering from the 1st debate and regain about a 2-3 point lead on average.  ANd that's where it stayed for the rest of the campaign. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »

No, 65,000 voters did not change their vote because of gay marriage.

When did I say they did?  I'm just saying that, even though it was a much larger margin than 2000, it was still a very close race at the electoral college level.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2004, 04:54:51 PM »

I was talking to Shira.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2004, 07:02:53 PM »

LOL I'm the only person thus far to say it was Debate Number One.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2004, 07:30:26 PM »

If Kerry had won, almost everyone would be saying Debate #1.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2004, 10:09:59 PM »

I wouldn't.  It would have to have been the series of debate.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2004, 04:35:26 PM »

I agree. I thought the first debate as the turning point.

The real turning point was the Democratic primary where they managed to choose a wrong candidate. John Edwards could be the president now.

During the campaing the most remarkable turning point was the Republican convention and Osama tape. That tape brought much votes to Bush and was possibly crucial. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies