Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 185531 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2011, 11:42:17 PM »

Is that because the South had somewhat liberal abortion laws pre Roe v Wade, or some other reason?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »

It seems like Texas on social issues is a bit like Lloyd Bentsen himself in that it supports the death penalty and is pro-choice. Also, when looking over the Senate, I noticed that Ricardo Mantalban is in the Senate as a Republican. I also noticed that you kept the anti-war Robert Taft Jr. In office as well.

I have a couple questions:
Who's in Crane's cabinet?
How is Barry Goldwater Jr. doing?
Does Mendelik D'Israeli have any political experience?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »

It seems like Texas on social issues is a bit like Lloyd Bentsen himself in that it supports the death penalty and is pro-choice. Also, when looking over the Senate, I noticed that Ricardo Mantalban is in the Senate as a Republican. I also noticed that you kept the anti-war Robert Taft Jr. In office as well.

I have a couple questions:
Who's in Crane's cabinet?
How is Barry Goldwater Jr. doing?
Does Mendelik D'Israeli have any political experience?

Mendelik D'Israeli served in the state House of Montana for a few years.
Barry Goldwater Jr. is planning to run for California Governor soon.
Cabinet.....gee I haven't gotten that far.  All I know is that it will involve James Buckley and David Eisenhower in some kind of position along with some made up people.  Oh and one of the Rockefellers is the Secretary of State.

I put Ricardo in there for kicks, though this universe will suck without KHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »

Sweet cabinet then. Kahn was one of my favorite Star Trek movies. Too bad this universe won't have it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »

Is that because the South had somewhat liberal abortion laws pre Roe v Wade, or some other reason?

Kind of.
Actually the American West is probably the most liberal region when it comes to abortion laws.  Here's a map:

State Abortion Laws November 1982:

Red=Illegal (28 states)
White=Legal in case of rape (1 state)
Blue=Legal in case of danger to woman's health (6 states)
Green=Legal in cases of danger to woman's health, rape or incest, or likely damaged fetus (7 states)
Yellow=Legal on request. (8 states plus DC)

Yeah, kind of similar to pre Roe V. Wade but a little different at the same time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:30 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2011, 01:57:12 AM by Doctor Sexy Abs »

Here's another interesting map:

Legal Status of Same Sex Unions:

Red=No recognition (6 states)
Blue=Limited Same Sex Partnerships, do not recognize civil unions from other states (9 states)
Green=Civil Unions from other states recognized, but state only grants Limited Same Sex Partnerships (12 states)
Yellow=Same Sex Civil Unions equal to heterosexual marriage. (23 states plus DC)

As you can see, despite being a lot more conservative in regards to abortion this America in 1982 is a lot more progressive when it comes to LGBT issues.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »

Damn Mech.

I must say this is one of the most detailed and in-depth timelines I have ever read. Attention to detail (on abortion laws, ballot access, etc) is superb. Good stuff.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2011, 07:34:36 PM by Doctor Sexy Abs »

Damn Mech.

I must say this is one of the most detailed and in-depth timelines I have ever read. Attention to detail (on abortion laws, ballot access, etc) is superb. Good stuff.

Most of this is a result of the split within the Democratic Party that happened after the 1948 Presidential Election where Truman lost the election to Dewey.  Once Truman and other party leaders realize that even if the South had voted Democratic Truman would've still lost the Democratic Party effectively began the process of distancing itself from the Dixiecrats.  Dixiecrats would support the Democratic tickets of 1952 and 1964 which were perceived as the "not as pro Civil Rights" tickets against the Republicans.  Due to the overwhelming support amongst Democrats and Republicans Civil Rights legislation gets passed eight years earlier than it did in our timeline.  Support for Civil Rights exploded after the end of World War II when many Americans found out about the Holocaust and began to worry that an America with continued segregation would end up like Nazi Germany.  Due to the very progressive American populace view of Civil Rights the gay rights movement would get a massive headstart more than a decade before it would in OTL.
After the Dixiecrats left the Democratic Party a power vacuum would erupt amongst the remaining factions in the New Deal Coalition for the direction of the Democratic Party.  Due to a history of organized political machinery, the Irish Catholic bosses of major urban areas such as New York City, Chicago, and Boston would soon take the place of the Southern faction as the dominant interest of the Democratic Party.  This would irk New Dealers, who thought that they would be bulletproof after passing Civil Rights and dropping Dixiecrats.  Due to the sudden escalation of control these bosses would have over the party the New Dealers who once stayed quiet on segregation and anti-lynching laws to appease Dixiecrats suddenly found themselves staying quiet on issues like abortion and affirmative action that the Republican Party had embraced.  The party would also be forced, after the influence of businessmen like Joseph Kennedy Sr., to adopt a more fiscally and economically conservative agenda.  Of note the Democratic tickets of 1964, 1968, and 1972 all called for reductions in corporate taxation, reduction of tariffs, reduction in Social Security payments, and "business reform" (ie lessening regulations on business).  This was however counterbalanced by policies such as increased environmental regulation, increased funding of the arts, increased funding of alternative fuels, and support of a national healthcare system.  To these Democrats Social Security was considered an overbranching of federal government and a wasteful program, but universal healthcare was the moral duty of American government.  The Democratic support of open immigration would help the party retain a lot of the minority vote (except for blacks who leaned Democratic or Republican depending on the candidate) they had earned since the New Deal.
The Republican Party, though supportive of Civil Rights, were much more divided over the economic role of government and issues like abortion.
So yeah, due to the differences in party fundamentals and composition a lot of things change.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »

November 3rd, 1982
CNN News at 6:23 AM

CNN:
  We have just received word that the Montana US Senate results have been counted fully and we have a decision.  With incumbent Scott Westman having a top draw at 32.1% Montana state law declares that since there is no candidate who got 40% of the vote that a run-off election will occur two weeks from now between Westman, Walters, and D'Israeli.  This bit of news could end up being a mixed blessing for Westman as D'Israeli is likely to steal more votes from Walters and Westman can now focus on rallying the progressive vote that has avoided him for the past four months.  Even here in New York I can hear the collective sighs of the Westman camp over in Missoula where Westman has been for the past month or so campaigning with his daughter Brea.
It seems it will take an Act of God to prevent Scott Westman from being re-elected.........
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

Map? Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

Very nice to see that Georgia is "Moderately Progressive" on social issues! Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »

I wish people were caring about my biothread before.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

CNNSad/b] It seems it will take an Act of God to prevent Scott Westman from being re-elected.........

Possible foreshadowing? Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »

I will post one for the nation wide results sometime tomorrow night but there probably won't be no Montana map.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2011, 06:47:52 PM by Doctor Sexy Abs »

For the moment yet another map:

Majority Party Identification per state:

Democratic
Republican
Constitution
Progressive/Moderate Reform
Independent

Note: This map refers to registered voters and political party identifications.  Just because a certain party has the most registered voters in a state doesn't mean the state will lean in a certain way each election.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »

November 9th, 1982
Westman TV ad:
Principled, Proud, Progressive:

Video reel of Westman at various progressive functions, wearing a "yes for equality", hugging a "Hemp Now!" supporter, walking down main street Billings, Montana, holding the hands of Hispanic children, on the US Senate floor voicing his opposition to increased military spending, a scene of him addressing a gay rights rally, and finally a picture of him with a patient in the burn victim ward at St. Paul's Hospital in Butte, Montana.
"Over the past few years in the United States Senate I have had many critics, critics who say I am a conservative clown in progressive clothing.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.  Over my career in the Senate I have proposed legislation aimed at bettering the lives of millions of Americans and breaking down the walls of inequality between those people of different ethnic background, national origins, sexes, and even sexual orientation.  It is my firm belief that all of God's children are born equal and free and that is the moral duty of this American government to enforce the rights of the people so that no mortal harm may fall upon their right to health, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  I am a proud supporter of the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, I am a proud supporter of an American government that invest more money in the people than it does propagating foreign military adventures to force this nation into the status of World Police, I am a proud supporter of the legalization of drugs that are less harmful than tobacco and alcohol instead of supporting a misguided war that has only made organized crime stronger than it ever has before, I am a proud supporter of Affirmative Action programs that help disadvantaged people into better positions in life, and most of all I am a proud supporter of an American Government that has the decency to offer free universal healthcare to the weakest, poorest, and most destitute amongst us.  That is why I became your US Senator, that is why I want to continue being your US Senator.

If you believe in this same vision then please vote for me, Scott Westman, for 6 more years as your state Senator.

November 10th, 1982
Walters TV Ad:
"Great Responsibility:

Commercial pans out to a living room with David Walter sitting on a couch watching the TV.  He begins to speak:
You know for the past few years we have heard the Democrats talk a great deal about the "moral role of government".  One thing that I always noticed though is that out of all the commercials and campaigns there is one theme Democrats haven't touched on: Responsibility.  What they don't mention is that with Great Power comes Great Responsibility.  Proposing ideas like a nationwide retirement program, busing, and national healthcare sound good on paper but when it comes down to hard numbers......they don't pan out.  If I went out today, right now, and went to a car dealership to buy a Rolls Royce and don't have the money to pay for it I won't be allowed to buy the car.  Why is it then that whenever the government passes a program that can't be funded out of it's budget.........why do we the taxpayer have to give them the Cadillac package?  Ignorance, blind simple ignorance.  Ignorance of responsibility, ignorance of the outcomes of such actions on the welfare of this country.  This is what Scott Westman has proposed for this country: more years under a fraud ridden wasteful public healthcare system that takes more money out of the system than it puts in.  What is needed more than ever is a reasonable scale back of federal government and put some dough back into our pockets.

For Responsible Leadership, please elect David Walters.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 08:46:02 AM by Mechaman »

Morning of November 16th, 1982
About 2:15 in the morning
National Weather Service Montana Headquarters:

Alfred Goebling is watching his radar screen closely.  No it can't be.....I'll be damned.
He punches in a number on his phone and waits for the person on the other end to pick up.
Phone: Yes Al what is it?
Goebling: Bob, know that storm we have been predicting to go east through British Columbia into Saskatchewan?
Bob: Yes?
Goebling: You better come down here and see this Bob.
Bob: Just tell me what's going on Al.
Goebling: Sir, you have to see this.

Five minutes later:
Bob:
Alright Al, what's so damn important that you had to bring me..........my god.

Missoula Morning News, 6:51am:
This morning at 4:54AM the National Weather Service based in Bozeman issued a Blizzard warning for the entire western portion of the state of Montana.  This storm is expected to be extremely strong and to bring sub zero temperatures with it.  We do know that a lot of people have to work, we know that today is a very important day with the run-off election but we can not stress how much safety is important today.  Snowfall estimates are anywhere from 21"-over three feet.  Right now the storm has already hit extreme northern parts of Montana and the storm seems to be going south southeast.  If you are going to vote do it as soon as possible and before the midday when the storm is expected to reach Missoula

News Update: 12:38am:
The storm that is now hitting parts of Missoula County is gaining intensity.  In all of my years of tracking weather......there has never been  a storm like this.  It is like a hurricane of snow......visibility is............IMPROBABLE!!!!!  My feet are sinking into the snow!!  Screw this.........
Live feed lost.
Weatherwoman: Steve?  Steve?  Are you there?  STEVE!?  STEVE!!!!!!!?

The Great Flathead Blizzard of November 1982 would go down in history as the worst blizzard in Montana history.  In some localities the snowfall would be over four feet (of note Flathead County, the namesake of the blizzard, would see record snowfall levels of 63" inches) with Missoula itself witnessing snowfall records of over 50" of snow.  Visibility in some areas was reduced down to half a feet.  Thousands of Missoulans would be stuck at their places of work, thousands of children would be forced to stay overnight at their schools, many were even forced into staying overnight in the stores of downtown Missoula instead of try to brave the hurricane force winds and moonsoon like downpour of snow.  The storm, unlike any storm of it's time, would bring almost all of West Montana to it's knees, becoming known to many of the residents as "the Cold Day from Hell".  It was the storm that changed Montana history.
And it happened on November 16th, 1982......the Run-Off vote Day for the US Senatorial Election.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »

March 11th, 1984:

And now here he stood, ready for the next step in this process: the debate.  He had advanced this far through the primary and finally he and his opponent stood face to face to decide who would be the face of the party come election season.
Scott Westman walked out onto the stage and approached his opponent and shook his hand.  He looked down at the man and then spoke.
Westman: Good luck Senator.
Baucus: Good luck Mister Westman.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »

November 16th, 1982
10 O'clock news
CNN News:

Today in Montana what was supposed to be an eventful run-off day turned out to be one of the craziest days in Montana history as one of the worst storms in the history of this nation hit Western Montana around 6:30AM this morning.  It went south and hit the city of Missoula around 11:05 before moving it's way onto Butte and southward into eastern Idaho.  The storm brought with it record amounts of snow and wind with many in the field weather experts calling it a day instead of staying out in the cold and reporting the weather.  And mind you this was in Montana.
However, there were still people who made it through all that snow, through all that hell and made the vote.  This election marks one of the lowest turnouts for a Senate race in Montana, mostly due to the effects of the storm.  it is estimated that less than half of the vote turnout of the 1978 midterm made it to the polls in Missoula, a little more for Butte which wasn't hit until 4:30 this afternoon.
At the final count we have these results for the Montana US Senate race:

Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican): 23.56%
Scott Westman (Democratic): 36.42%
David Walters (Conservative): 40.02%

It looks like that incumbent US Senator Scott Westman won't be coming back to Washington this January.  After the kind of day that Missoula has had he might not even come back to Washington to get his stuff!

CBS with Dan Rather
Interview with Westman campaign manager Carl Herschelwitz in Washington D.C.:

Rather:
So have you been able to contact the Senator yet?
Herschelwitz: Yes I have.
Rather: What did he say when he found out about his electoral loss?
Herschelwitz: He responded "WHAT'S THE BAD NEWS?".
(laughter)
Herschelwitz: Knowing Scott he's probably more worried about being buried in his Flathead home than he is about losing this silly election.
Rather: All conditions being equal do you think the election would've turned out like this if this storm didn't happen?
Herschelwitz: No, I think it would've been closer.  Scott would've been able to get disaffected progressives to the voting booths who otherwise, like today, decide to stay home.  But don't you worry now because Scott Westman will be back, you'll see.
Rather: Thank you for your time Carl.
Herschelwitz: Thank you for having me Dan.

It looks like that it really did take an Act of God to stop Scott Westman from going back to Congress............
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2011, 09:47:56 PM by Mechaman »

What do you make of Scott Westman's defeat?:

Christopher Dodd:
Oh he lost?  I thought he just decided to stay in Montana for a while.
Joseph Biden: I'm shocked that he didn't lose because of some sex controversy.
Caroline Kennedy: I'm amazed it was a snowstorm of all things that did him in and not say his numerous affairs.
Maria Cantwell: Knowing him he probably won't even come back to get his stuff out of the office.
Johnny Carson: That is what happens when you go West when campaigning.
Fred Harris: I thought it was getting cold in here!
Morris Udall: For Scott Westman that's probably very good news, god knows he would've hated to drive back to DC in this weather.  Also, on his retirement I get his Brooke Westman records so yeah cool!
Lawrence Watson: It's a shame really, he made a killer chili and soda bread.
Robert Stafford: VICTORY!
John Chafee: VICTORY!!!
Phil Crane: I wish Mister Westman the best of luck in his future endeavors and would like to thank him for the time we had to work together on vital legislation for the future of this country.
Susie K. Helmuth: GOD HATES FAGS! GOD HATES FAGS! GOD HATES FAGS!!! (blood vessel pops).
John Warner: It's one of the greatest days in US Senate history.  God knows Montana needed an actual qualified Senator in the Senate.
Beauregard D'Israeli: A respectable voice in the Senate who pissed off all the statists fakes in my party.  God I'll miss how hot he gets them.  Suck it Rocky!  Suck it!
John D. Rockefeller IV: It's unfortunate for Westman that he had to deal with such weather, but great for third party candidates everywhere that the two party system can be accommodating to men with vision like David Walters.
Ronald Reagan: A true blooded son of a manohoonie if I ever saw one.  Hopefully someday he will once again win one for the gipper.  Want a jellybean?
James Carter: A lustful yet honest man.  I have something I want to confess: I have lusted in my heart after Joan Rivers and that black lady from Foxy Brown.
Reporter: Yeah she's very hot.  I'd tap that hard too Jimmy.  Oh sh*t!  Is this live!?
Camera guy: Yeah....dumbass.
Feed terminates.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

That means that there are around five different parties in the Senate! Republican, Democrat, Constitution, Moderate Reform, & Conservative!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2013, 07:41:26 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

November 16th, 1982
Westman Lake House
Flathead Lake, Montana
10:05PM:

Scott Westman is trapped at his lake house on Flathead Lake (that he purchased in 1979 to stay at during breaks from Congress) with his daughter Brea.  The storm had hit his lake house at 5:45 in the morning, earlier than the news networks said it happened.  He supposed it was because he was on the north end of the lake, but nonetheless ever since then he and Brea had been stuck at his house while the rest of the staff was trapped in nearby Kalispell.  As he watched the results come in Westman breathed a sigh of relief.
Brea: Dad, you just lost.
Westman: Wrong, I just got into temporary retirement.  In the meantime (goes to refrigerator and pops open a bottle of Blackheart Rum), let's celebrate.
(For the record drinking age is based on state laws, in Montana drinking age is 13 so it's legal for Brea).
Brea: This is going to be so cool, you home for the next year or so before going off to campaign.
Westman: Why'd I ever leave this place?

Don't worry, I don't have any creepy incestual plot twists for Westman this time.  Just really bad parenting.........
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 12:22:46 AM by Mechaman »

Here's the map:
(credit to Dallasfan)
1982 US Senate Election

Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)
Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings)
David Walters (Conservative-Missoula)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 08:36:13 AM by Mechaman »

March 11th, 1984
The Debate:

Moderator:
What I want to know is, why are you interested in this job?
Westman stands up and takes the podium.
Westman: Mister Chairman, Senator Baucus (nods towards them).  First off I want to thank the Senator for agreeing to this debate.  Granted this is normal for this type of primary race but I understand that he's been very busy as of late.  Max you've been a great Senator.  Second, I am running for this job because I believe that this state deserves better.  There is no question that I believe that my former colleague in the United States Senate is a great man with strong personal beliefs and a great work ethic and as someone who ran against Max Baucus a decade ago for the US House I can attest to everyone watching that this race will be hell.
Baucus laughs
Westman: It's true man.  I had to pull out all stops just to pull above 45%.  Anyway I am running for this office because I believe that I have the better vision for this great state.  There is no question that my experience in this area is quite limited, but then again these people were willing to vote for me in 1976 despite my only reputation being a failed US House candidate and an anti-war protestor.  I hope they will put in that same amount of faith when I run for office in 1984.
Moderator: Senator Baucus?
Baucus: There is no question that Scott Westman is a dedicated public servant, just look at his legislative accomplishments in a six year period most of which he managed in his last two years as US Senator.  However, when it comes to the whole question of experience I must say that I am the better qualified candidate when it comes to knowing the public interests of the people of Montana.  It isn't enough for me to be far away in some federal body to represent the interests of the people of Montana, as of late I have felt this calling in my heart to do something more for this state.  That is why I am here today, instead of back in Washington addressing you.  Staying in the Senate has it's benefits but it doesn't give me the chance to reconnect with the people of this state that I love so dearly as this office.
Westman: Well I can see that Max has caught up on watching the Rocky series (crowd laughs) but I have to disagree with him on that.  You see I happen to believe that Max Baucus is one of the best US Senators in the country and that he belongs in the US Senate.  If you want to keep Max Baucus as your Senator, give you six more years of great representation at Capitol Hill, then by all means vote for Scott Westman for Governor of Montana.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »

How's Senator Walters doing?

Also, when would the Governor's race be; 1984 or 1986?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies