Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:30:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 186368 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »

Y'know when I was starting to feel good about myself putting this much effort into maps...............

It's all right, man. I'm doing a similar project (but with shades) and I'm sure I'll flub up a few counties.

He who does not make mistakes makes nothing at all.

That reminds me, the other day, Jbrase pointed out that I created a county out of what was actually a water boundary.

Lol, I remember when I did it with LA.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #526 on: July 27, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2011, 06:37:08 AM by Randle Patrick McMurphy »

Somewhere in Helena:

The dark figure walked down the alley way to meet with his contact.  After a few minutes his contact shows up.  He walks up to meet with the contact, a Jasmine Bach.
Bach: Looking for a great time honey?
The dark figure nods.
The Darkness: Yes.  That sounds lovely.
Bach: Where to?
The Darkness: How does the dumpster sound to you?
Bach: What?
(shoots fired)

9 hours later:
CBS Helena Affiliate:

Anchor:
We have just received disturbing news about a murder in Helena.  Autopsy has revealed that less than 10 hours ago a prostitute named Jasmine Bach was mutilated in an abandoned dumpster in the inner city.  Police say that along with the mutilations they also found evidence that the woman was shot in the head no less than three times.  Of note, the victim, who was a transsexual, had her genitalia removed after death.
This murder comes just a two months after the fatal killing of a gay man in Lincoln, the crime for which the killer has yet to be caught.  Criminal experts are now speculating that the murder in Lincoln and the one in Helena suggests the personality traits characteristic of a serial killer.
We'll be back when we have more details.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #527 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »

Warning: Bar humor ahead.

Somewhere in Grand Rapids, Michigan:

Christian Mattingly is at the local brewery reminiscing with some of his old high school buddies.
Mattingly: Yeah I remember those days man.  In Tehran, the sun beating down on us.  Damn sand ns everywhere, just waiting to get us.
Kristoff Lovejoy: Yeah, back then when while we were freeing a nation from certain Communist rule the spoiled little fucks back at home were cheering against us!  It's just not right.
Their friend, Michael Anthony, is watching the tv.  He chuckles.
Anthony: You know where I would love to live?
Mattingly: Where?
Anthony: Montana.........because at least the Democrats there still give a damn about the people.
Mattingly: Are you high man!?  The Montana Democratic Party is just hilarious at this point.  Sure the Montana Republican Party is a complete joke, god knows I despise everything it has become, but the Montana Democrats?
Lovejoy: Well this Scott Westman guy seems to be pretty reasonable.  He's calling for fiscal sanity and defending gun rights while the Republican takes them away.
Mattingly: Hilarious man.  You forget how radical this Westman guy is.  I mean he railed a tranny for Christ sake!
Lovejoy: Come on man, have you seen pictures of her?
Mattingly: You mean him?
Lovejoy: Damn it whatever.  IT!  Okay let's just call it IT!  IT would look pretty hitable after the third Shiner man.  I'm just saying.  Yeah Westman probably didn't drink before but still, it doesn't make him Captain Queerzonio of the USS Fagstaff does it?  I mean shit dude, IT wore a dress, had makeup on, and had a nice ass.  Minus the hardware on the front-
Mattingly: Kristoff damn boy!  Listen to yourself!  You going f****t on us?
Lovejoy: WAIT A MINUTE I'M NO f****t!  HOW DARE YOU I AIN'T NO f****t!
Anthony: You sure as hell have convinced me........fabulous.
Anthony and Mattingly laugh.
Mattingly:  I mean you guys obviously forget that there happens to be another choice, a Conservative Choice.
Both Lovejoy and Anthony look at each other.
Together: Oh great not again.
Mattingly: You see voting for Scott Westman as the lessor of evils is just nonsense for Montana Conservatives.  That would be like Charles giving his teenage daughter to Westman because at least he would gently make love to her.
Lovejoy and Anthony crack up.
Mattingly: Instead they could have Michael Oglesby.  A true conservative choice in the Montana election without any of the skeletons in his closet as Scott Westman.  He believes in gun rights and civil liberties, but he doesn't believe in a hog wild society where everything goes like Westman does.  Just like in this state, a vote for the Conservatives is a true principled vote unlike the Demotwats and the Republic**nts.
The bar owner, Charles, gives a thumbs up.
Charles: Fuckin' A Brother.  Fuckin' A.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #528 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:50 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2011, 07:47:56 AM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

September 24th, 1984
Gubernatorial Race
Of the following candidates who are you thinking about voting for?Sad

Former US Senator Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Former State Senator Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 47.7%
Governor Richard J. Peters (Republican-Circle)/Lieutenant Governor Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 18.1%
Michael J. Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Julian R. Masters (Conservative-Glacier) 31.8%
Undecided/Other: 2.4%

In just a matter of weeks Richard Peters hopes of being re-elected were far gone as both Westman and Oglesby attacked him as an elitist who is under the control of the Northeast GOP establishment.  By late September Scott Westman held what many called "an insurmontable" lead over his opponent Michael Oglesby.  Scott Westman, the so-called "radical" who lost re-election as a US Senator to a then little known third party, suddenly found himself in line to win a very strong, if not landslide, victory over a divided Republican Party (most Republicans were starting to support the Conservative ticket though a number of loyalists backed Peters).  It seemed that the anti-Peters momentum was Scott Westman's for the taking.

Montana Presidential Poll
Of the following candidates who are thinking about voting for:

President Phil Crane (Conservative-Illinois)/Vice President Ray Hutchison (Conservative-Texas) 39.81%
Former United States Senator Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma)/United States Senator Daniel Lynch (Democratic-Massachusetts) 30.12%
United States Representative Michael Harrison (Republican-California)/United States Senator Harry Callahan (Republican-Washington) 27.89%
Undecided/Other: 2.88%
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #529 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »

October 1st, 1984
White Fish, Montana:

Daniel Westman is serving drinks at his bar and grill.  He sees a couple of the regulars and starts small talk.
Tenenbaum: Hey Danny, how's things goin' with your son's Gubernatorial run?
D. Westman: How the hell should I know?  My kids never tell me jack sh*t!
Riker: That's kind of sad man.
D. Westman: Easy for you to say.  I tried to be as strong of a mentor as possible to those kids.  Instead they preferred being radicals and hippies.  At least they did it together I guess.  And now Scott is married into wealth and prestige and is bound to win the Gubernatorial Race.  All without my help!  He is a very successful man who never needed the help to get to where he is now.  You bet your ass I am damn proud of that.
Riker: But what about your daughter?  What about Lenore?  Surely you've tried to keep in contact with her?
D. Westman: Last time I heard Scott was playing sugar daddy for her.  He is such a damn sucker for her.  He treats her more like his girlfriend than he does his sister.  Her and Brea both.  He's a lot like my old man: too much of a spoiler, not enough of a strong hand.
Suddenly the bar doors open and Daniel Westman observes as Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Scott Westman enters the bar.  He walks up to him and extends his hand.
D. Westman: Scott.
S. Westman: Daniel.  Glad to see you're still in business.  How's mother?
D. Westman: Oh she is fine.  Still working at the mental ward.  Patients have been especially rowdy lately.  How's Nora?
Scott looks confused.
D. Westman: You don't know, do you?
S. Westman: It's not my business to keep track of her.  She's an adult damn it.  Now please Da, the press are going to be here any minute.
D. Westman: So you come back just to use me as an electoral prop?  How sad.  For a minute I thought we were actually going to have some interesting and mind provoking dialogue.
S. Westman: Can it Da, this is important for me.
The press arrive and set up in the area within thirty minutes.  They start filming Scott Westman at his father's bar.
Press: So, this is where your old man works?
S. Westman: Yep.  It was here that I was raised.  In the bar industry of western Montana.  My father is one of the thousands of Montana citizens who will benefit from alcohol liberalization.  The state control of alcohol has prevented men like my father from true innovations in the alcohol world that has held this market back for years.
And just like that, Scott Westman was back into politician mode.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #530 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »

Uses his dad as a political prop, practically has incest, & doesn't even know where the hell his wife is. Tongue The man I want running my state!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »

Uses his dad as a political prop, practically has incest, & doesn't even know where the hell his wife is. Tongue The man I want running my state!

I have only one thing to say to that:

LMFAO
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2011, 10:35:19 AM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

Finally, a funny entry
October 4th, 1984
Bozeman, Montana:

Scott Westman is making the rounds in Bozeman, Montana.  Going door to door in the downtown business district with dozens of business owners to get the vote out.  After awhile he decides to take a break from campaigning for a smoke break.
While he's smoking some leftard asshole wearing a NATURAL FOODS! shirt walks up to him and stares, before saying:
Asshole: You know that smoking is bad for you right?
Westman, with a perplexed look on his face, answers the man back:
Westman: Well really, Sir Asshole!?
The Asshole looks confused, not expecting such a response from the Democratic candidate for governor.  He gets a case of the sniffles and eventually goes running off crying his eyes off like a little bitch.  Scott Westman, with a sneer, starts laughing.
Westman: Hahaha, what a f****t.
It was then that Carl Herschelwitz, his main advisor, walked up to him.
Herschelwitz: We got it done, finally.
Westman: What man?
Herschelwitz: The ban-
Suddenly a camera man shows up.
Herschelwitz: The banjo band, naturally.
Westman sighs, great, we're going to have f***ing banjoes on this campaign.
Westman: Okay sh*t, whatever.
Camera man gasps.  Westman looks at him.
Westman: What?  You never heard somebody say the word "SH*T!" before!?
Westman starts looking around and realizes something is missing.  He calls over his personal assistant, Kyle Marcson.  He used to have attractive 20 something females as his personal assistants, before his jealous little wife stopped letting him.  Now he had some 29 year old manchild thing as his personal assistant.  Heh, marriage.  At least the sex is better.
Westman: Hey Kyle!
Kyle turns around and points at himself.
Westman: Yes you!  Hey Kyle: WHERE THE HELL IS MY WIFE!?
Marcson: I don't know man!
Sh*t!  I can never find that woman!

The Next Day
Montana Daily News
Front Page Story: WHERE THE HELL IS SCOTT WESTMAN'S WIFE!!!!!?

Westman:
Oh Sweet Baby Jesus........
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #533 on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »

I'm interrupting this thread to let you know that I am the best in the world!

Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #534 on: August 01, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

"Unfit to Run, Unfit to Govern
Richard Peters television ad
Original Airdate: October 7th, 1984:

The video starts off with video and audio clips of Democratic candidate Scott Westman at various stops.  Throughout the collage of video and audio the ad plays inappropriate remarks by Scott Westman:

"Where the hell is my wife!?"
"Is that so Mister A**hole!?"
"I'd easily tap that if given a chance."
"What's the matter son?  Never heard anybody say the word "f***head" before!?"
"I swear to god I would beat up a hobo for those tickets."
"Oh my damn, you're kidding me right?"
"I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU RICHARD: S*** IT!"
"If you are too much of a lazya** to vote Democratic this election then vote Republican.  Because they seem to be the party of No Ideas."
"Yeah, so what if she had a d***.  It's none of your business who I f***ed in the past y'know?"

Vulgar and classless.  This is the rhetoric of Scott Westman, who thinks he deserves to be Montana's next governor.  All I've heard is a little boy in a tall man suit talking down to brave reporters just doing their duty.  Our politicians are supposed to be above the fray, not below it.  Given Scott Westman's extreme unprofessionalism when the camera is on him, without regard to the young people who look up to him, is it really safe to have such a immoral buffoon behind the Governor's desk?

Didn't think so.
Vote Peters for four more years.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

LMFAO

I hope that's a good thing. Tongue Also, is "Where the hell's my wife?" the greatest quote ever?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »

LMFAO

I hope that's a good thing. Tongue Also, is "Where the hell's my wife?" the greatest quote ever?

I believe so, lol.
I guess I should give credit where credit is due:
Cathcon TM
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #537 on: August 01, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »

LMFAO

I believe so, lol.
I guess I should give credit where credit is due:
Cathcon TM

Thank you! Grin
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #538 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:46 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2011, 08:43:56 PM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

November 10th, 1978
Capitol Hill:

Scott Westman is standing next to a junior CBS field reporter.  Chad Arnold was honored to have the opportunity to interview a US Senator, especially one with such name recognition as Scott Westman.  He had been warned that Westman was a bit of a joker when it came to interviews.  He hoped that with the Democrats losing the US House and Senate Westman would be in a more serious mood.  What he didn't count on however wasn't to see Scott Westman.........pissed as all hell.

Arnold: So Senator, what is our opinion of what has happened over the past week?
Scott Westman grabs the microphone and stares at the camera, intently.  In that scene he resembled an angry pro-wrestler about to send out a warning to his opponent.  Though what he said was quite different.
Westman: How do I feel?  HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK I FEEL CHAD!?  WE LOST TEN SENATE SEATS!  TEN DAMN SEATS IN THE US SENATE!
Arnold takes a step back.
Arnold: So does it make you mad?
Westman: Actually no it doesn't.  I wouldn't be pissed off if we had only five Senators left!  You wanna know what really grinds my gears though......WHAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!?
Arnold shakes his head to signify "no".
Westman: What really grinds my gears is that I'll be subordinate to absolute fuckheads like John Chafee and Jakob Javits for the next two fucking years!  That's what pisses me off man!
The reporter is shocked silent.
Westman: What's the matter son?  Ya'never heard somebody say the word "fuckhead" before?!  Where the hell do you think you are?  St. Mary's Catholic School for the Dumb!?
Suddenly the screen turns back to Dan Rather.
Rather: We're sorry to cut the interview off short.  Apparently the losses in the US Senate are a little too hard for Westman to bear.  We'll be back after this commercial break.
The news goes to a commercial break.
Rather looks around with a really mad look on his face.
Rather: Okay people, let me ask what the hell was that?
Crew: We don't know man, we weren't counting on such a visceral reaction from Westman.  He's usually a very calm and collected and humorous person.
Rather: Well next time be careful lest he decides to go Dog Day Afternoon on us okay?

Ever since then Scott Westman has had a beautiful relationship with the media.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

Deleted previous post after it seemed to be too much of a masturbation fest.

I apologize.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #540 on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

I apologize.

Did I miss something AGAIN?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »

I apologize.

It was an interview with a Republican in the future who called Westman "perhaps the one true legendary politician in the post-Kennedy age".
Needless to say, my self-effacing style of writing would've suffered if I were to keep that post there.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

I apologize.

It was an interview with a Republican in the future who called Westman "perhaps the one true legendary politician in the post-Kennedy age".
Needless to say, my self-effacing style of writing would've suffered if I were to keep that post there.

Ah this.

I never liked to create a praise for my character. Instead, I'm giving him as much crap as possible. That's more objective Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »

October 8th, 1984
Westman Rally at Glacier, Montana:

Scott Westman is on stage waving at the audience when suddenly behind him fireworks are set off from the stage.  As the fireworks go up into the air a very large banner falls down from the rafters.  It is a banner with a dark blue background and.......a beaver?
Westman: Glacier!  Today is the day that we finally reveal our campaign banner!  The beaver!
Audience gets awkwardly silent.
Westman: Who doesn't love beaver!  Apparently Richard Peters doesn't like the beaver, one of our most treasured animals in this state.  The beaver is a symbol of greatness, much like the great beaver dams along the Clark Fork River!  It is for the tenacity of the beaver, of the endurance of the beaver, of the sheer will of the furry little creature who explores the great water sources of this great state that I am honored to adopt the beaver as the official mascot of this campaign!
Audience, quiet a moment ago, suddenly start applauding.
Westman: Governor Peters doesn't care about the beaver, in fact he doesn't even like beaver.  How can you trust, how can you respect such a man who doesn't like the beaver?  The beaver, of eternal strength, dedication, and an extreme will unlike any ever seen.......ignored by this man?  How dare he!  With me as your governor the beaver will be a symbol of respect and unity amongst the people of Montana.
Westman speech would become national news within hours as news commentators were perplexed by the Westman Campaign's unorthodox strategy of adopting the beaver as it's mascot.  Many saw this as a slap in Peters face by Westman, considering that the Peters Campaign tried to portray Scott Westman as an oversexed horndog due to his joking around with National Lampoon about how he likes "beaver".
It was definitely one of the most unique strategies in the history of US political campaigns.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »

October 18th, 1984
Montana Gubernatorial Debate:

Moderator:
  Good evening.  Tonight is a very special edition of Montana State News.  Live from the Bach Conservatory in Billings, Montana we are holding the first Gubernatorial Debate.  This is the first of a series of debates that will take place before the election on November 6th.  This debate will focus mostly on the subjects of energy development and conservation.  The next debate, to be held two days from now, will deal with domestic policies within the state with an emphasis on the state's rainy day fund, the "fiscal reserve", and gun laws within the state.  The third debate will be on controversial social issues, namely the legal status of marijuana, gay rights, and the ongoing abortion debate.  The fourth and final debate, that will be held on November the 4th, two days before election, will be an open forum between the candidates and the audience.  Now we may begin.
Peters: My administration has already made giant steps towards making this state a leader in the field of alternative energy development.
Oglesby: The State Government shouldn't play winners and losers in this matter.  We should let the free market decide what needs to be done about energy production, not the state.
Westman: Under a Westman Administration the development of a profitable and efficient green industry will be what puts this state heads and shoulders over the rest.  We got the wide open spaces for the development of these fuels, as well as a growing population of motivated young men and women in the technology sectors to pursue this goal.  We don't need to sacrifice our coal industry either.  In fact, I believe that it would be to our advantage to see a teaming up of the coal industry and the alternative energy market to achieve the possibility of "clean coal" technology.
Oglesby: See here Montanans.  Scott Westman's platform isn't so much "libertarian" as it is that of a green market extremist.  There is nothing that makes Scott Westman more excited than the prospect of geothermal, solar, and wind energy producing plants dotting the Montana landscape with substantial backing from an already expansive Montana State Government.
Peters: I happen to agree with Mister Oglesby.  Mr. Westman's approach to the energy debate is one of a radical extremist.  If you look at the average literature from Scott Westman's campaign brochures don't be surprised to see how "necessary" alternative energy is for his campaign.  That and alcohol liberalization, but that is a debate for another time.  You think government has expanded a lot since I got into office?  It's nothing compared to what a Westman Administration would be, especially in regard to the alternative energy market.
Westman: These jackals talk like they can read my mind.  It's really entertaining how they are trying to make you people believe that I'm some kind of radical who wants every house powered by sunlight and salt water.  That is not true.  What is true is that I am the only candidate in this race who has the brass cojones to tackle the energy question head on.  We have seen the so-called progress of the Peters Campaign, which has actually seen much land cleared out for the construction of highways to nowhere.  I am not calling for direct government intervention.  Not at all.  In fact I am calling upon a cooperation between all segments of Montana society to do their part in helping this state become the main innovator of alternative energy technologies.  I intend to accomplish this by offering a state tax credit to those industries that have shown the ability to create an efficient use of energy resources.  My opponents are using pure smoke and mirrors to distract from the fact that this state needs to start a revolution, a green revolution, to establish our reputation as the future economic powerhouse of the Rocky Mountain West.  My opponents do not dare dream of instilling greatness upon this state, I do.  If you care at all about truly making this state great instead of just going along with the way things are, the Westman ticket is for you.

Scott Westman's strong stance on conservation and alternative energy would give him a big boost after the debate.  Many viewers felt that Westman had far outshined the incumbent governor and the Conservative candidate in the debate, since environment issues and the like were his forte in the US Senate.  Others said he outshined the rest due to his opponents "resorting to platitudes" while Westman promoted "an agenda of real and effective ideas".

Gubernatorial Poll
Post Debate
October 19th, 1984:

Former US Senator Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Former State Senator Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 50.21%
Governor Richard Peters (Republican-Circle)/Lieutenant Governor Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 23.12%
CPA Michael Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Doctor Julian Masters (Conservative-Glacier) 24.81%
Other/Undecided: 1.86%

Due to a very weak performance in the energy debate the conservative ticket would go down in approval amongst Montanans.  Governor Peters would expect a rebound in support after pointing out the steps his administration took in paving the way for more alternate energy in Montana.  However, Westman would end up greatly benefitting the most from the debate, showing an approval of the majority of people polled.  As a result he would lead his closest opponent, Michael Oglesby, by more than twice Oglesby's poll showings.
As a result of the divisions within the Montana right, many pundits were predicting that come election day Westman would win "in an untold landslide" despite barely winning a majority of voters.
Never before had the political tide favored Scott Westman as much as it did in the 1984 Gubernatorial Election.  Only two years after he lost in a heart breaker to David Walters for re-election to the US Senate.  Such was the nature of politics.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 10:01:36 PM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

The King's Corner
CNN News Network
October 19th, 1984:

King:
Welcome to a special edition of King's Corner this is your host Larry King.  Tonight we are going to discuss the political evolution of one Scott Westman.  From a perceived "radical" to the person who is most likely to win the Montana Gubernatorial race with a mandate on his wide coalition of libertarian Democrats and Republicans, we will analyze his sudden new found fame as the leader of a new age of politics in Montana.
Vignette of Westman's career up to the 1984 Gubernatorial Election is played.
King: As you can see Scott Westman has shaped up to be one of the most dynamic and likable politicians in Montana recent history.  In a period of eight year he has gone from being perceived as a "radical counterculture politician" to possible being the next big thing in Montana politics.  With a coalition of Montana Democrats and libertarian leaning Republicans Westman has gone from being a neck in neck competitor with the incumbent governor to beating his opponents each 2-1 in recent polls.  How did he do it?  Patrick?
Buchanan: Well it's mostly a matter of gathering your coalitions.  Scott Westman learned a very valuable lesson from 1982 and that was never to underestimate the power of coalitions.  His strength comes from his ability to play demographic politics to it's fullest.  He showed up in Anaconda and Butte speaking about alcohol liberalization in the Irish population center of the state of Montana.  He further won support form the southwestern Montana unions by getting his close friend Lawrence Watson, the staunchly pro-union US Senator from the city of steel Pittsburgh, to speak in support of him.  Furthermore, he has had numerous libertarian Republicans, who make up a sizable portion of the Montana population, endorse him for governor against the incumbent Republican.  Westman has also shown very strong fiscally conservative stances.  I would argue that the Scott Westman we've seen in this campaign is well to the right of the one we saw campaign in 1982.
King: Perhaps what we are seeing is what would've happened in 1982 had it not been for the Flathead Blizzard?
Buchanan: Real doubtful King.  Westman ran a different campaign in 1982 than he is running now.  I doubt he would've been able to rouse that much of the progressive vote out to the polls even if the weather was clearer.  This year though, progressives do have an excuse to show up.  That is what will make all the difference this time around.  If the Republicans or the Conservatives ever dream of taking back the governorship after this year they had better learn the beauty of coalition ro sacrifice themselves to a generation of Democratic rule due to a split Montana right wing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 11:38:33 AM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

October 20th, 1984
Second Gubernatorial Debate Excerpts:

Mod:
In today's debate we are going to discuss issues of fiscal importance as well as the current state laws on guns.  Mister Westman, what exactly would you do to solve this state's fiscal mess?
Westman: Well obviously the problem is that Governor Peters lives in this pretend world where revenues don't matter, where people can spend and spend without consequence.  A world where if you overspend you can just withdraw from a "rainy day" fund to cover up your deficits.  We need a more honest approach to doing business here.  We can't have the best of both worlds here.  We can't decide we're not going to tax people while we have an expansive state government and at the same time we can't decide to spend more than we earn on state government projects.  It's fiscal insanity and I'm taking a stance against it.
Oglesby: I agree with the esteemed man from Missoula, but it should be pointed out that increased taxation will only bring economic hardship to the people of Montana.
Westman: I never said it would bring prosperity and rainbows Michael.  However, if you live in this make believe world where everything will be alright if we never increase taxes for any reason you are almost as deluded as the incumbent governor over there.  Sometimes cutting spending just isn't enough.  And don't make this a part of any "well you're a liberal tax lover".  I was the one who crafted the Economic Recovery Act of 1981 because I agreed wholly with the President that 1981 was the time for significant tax reductions to help the middle and upper classes to create jobs and encourage growth.  If anything, I am the only pragmatic person on this stage in regard to this state's revenue deficit problem.
Oglesby: Your proposal for eliminating the sales tax would eliminate a lot of our state's revenues.  What's your solution to address that problem?  Oh right, introduce a graduated income tax on top of our federal income tax!  The poorest of this state would have to pay a 2.4% income tax and the richest would have to pay a 7.2% income tax!  Tell me that isn't insanity, adding to the income tax burden of the people of this state!
Peters:You see for all of his tough talk about fiscal matters Westman forgets about one important component: the welfare of the people who he's proposing to levy these taxes on.  I mean the poor can barely survive and he wants to implement an income tax on them!  I mean it's madness!
Westman: Since you two don't seem to understand the most basic concept of revenues let me break it down for you.  Say Richard here decides he wants to build a highway.  Where does the money come from?  OH right, it comes form the state's rainy day fund because he doesn't believe in finding actual revenues to pay for it!  Under my administration not only will I reduce the ridiculous amount of expenditures incurred by Peters I will bring fiscal sanity back to the State Government.  Something that Peters, and apparently the so-called "Conservative" here are wholly against.
Oglesby: Did I mention that I'm for cutting spending?
Westman: While refusing to even consider tax increases?  Yes, but for those of us who passed economics in high school and live in the real world that is not exactly how that works.

Mod: Mister Oglesby, both you and Mister Westman have criticized the incumbent governor for his tough stance on guns in his tenure.  If elected Governor what would you do in regards to the gun laws of this state?
Oglesby: I would approach the legislature, which would hopefully be a majority of people who represent the will of the people of Montana and not the Peters partisans who made this possible in the first place, with a plan to undo every piece of gun control legislation that was enacted under Richard Peters watch.  This is a travesty that should've never happened.
Peters: Steve, may I make a comment.
Mod: Go ahead Governor.
Peters: Look, I know I've gotten a lot of criticism over this issue with both of my opponents claiming that I supported the legislation that I did to satisfy some blue bloods in the Northeast.  That is insane.  Everything I have done is to keep this state safe from the influence of organized crime.  It is a fact that over the past decade or so that organized crime has made excessive profits off of selling assault rifles and other sorts of dangerous weapons that have no business being used by the average Montana hunter or the like.  If you want to throw the "statist" label on me for wanting to prevent the growth of organized crime in this state, then I'm guilty.
Oglesby: That is no excuse Governor and you know it.  People have seen their Lever Action Rifles taken from them, families have witnessed their fathers being thrown into prison and for what?  Because of feel good intentions by the state government to crack down on organized crime?  And let me address the whole "organized crime" argument right now.  Has it occurred, ever occurred to you that you might actually strengthening organized crime by banning weapons so that only they can sell said weapons?
Westman: Kind of like the War on Drugs right?
Mixture of audience boos and cheers.
Oglesby: That is different.
Westman: How exactly?  Isn't smoking nicotine legal in this state?
Mod: Mister Westman, this isn't the place for a debate on marijuana rights.  Please wait until the next debate when it shall be a focus issue to do so.
Westman: Sorry Steve, but I believe that I should be able to address inconsistencies with an opponent's argument don't you think?
The moderator shrugs.
Mod: Alright, but make it quick.
Westman: My point here Mike is that you are all for restoring lost gun rights but you are deadset against marijuana.  A majority of Montanans want their gun rights restored and for the legalization of medical marijuana.  YOu claim to support the will of the people except in the case of medical drugs.  Why is that?
Oglesby: Well Westman, before you decided to weaken your own cause by attacking me I believe that sometimes there are things that if legalized would lead to societal downfall.  Marijuana is one of those.  The average gun owner in Montana has been thoroughly trained as to how to handle their lethal weapon in the correct way.  Somebody who gets  permit to smoke medical marijuana?  What kind of training or safety preparation do they have?
Westman: LIke it takes that much training to learn how to smoke up a joint.
Audience laughs.
Westman: But like you said, this debate is over gun rights not toking rights.  I'll wait for that debate to come before I fully address it.  Just thought I would bring up your contradiction on issues of civil liberties real quickly to remind people of your subjectivity on certain liberties that I don't make.  To me civil liberty is civil liberty, something neither of you two gentlemen seem to agree with.  As for this whole gun thing, let me just say: I am an avid gun owner who enjoys going to the shooting range four times a week, when I'm not campaigning, and I do love to go hunting with my good friend Carl (points to his advisor, who gives him a thumbs up).  Believe me I'm like the 90% of the people in this state that know how to use and operate firearms, that is why I'm livid about what this governor has done to our Second Amendment rights.  If elected I would direct my legislative allies to eliminate not just every gun law instituted under Governor Peters and restore the state of gun rights to what it was under Governor McGallahan's tenure.  It is time that Montana values took dominance, not Connecticut values.
Audience applauds.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »

October 20th, 1984 continued

Moderator:
This brings me to the last topic for discussion today: the state's fiscal reserve, otherwise known as the state's "rainy day" fund.  How would that be managed under each of you?
Peters: Well I don't think there is much wrong with it right now.  It still has quite a bit left and I believe it is best used to encourage growth within the state without the penalty of taxation.  Until the state projects, like the construction of the Pan-Canadian highway and the Iota Nuclear Power Plant near Glacier, are complete it will work well to help us balance costs.
Oglesby: And that is exactly the problem, this belief that if you can't raise revenues or cut spending you can just take it out of this state "savings" account to help pay for it.  That account was created for emergency extenuating circumstances like a massive natural disaster, not so the government can play building blocks with the state infrastructure.  What we need to do is reduce spending.  If that means a few union members can't have their usual thirty days off a year, that's tough.  If it means one less road, sorry too bad.  We should be operating like a business, not like the local welfare office.
Westman: Again, these two miss the point.  Since the Crane Coalition has gone into office suddenly there is this great fear of doing any sort of activity that would result in government revenues, namely taxation.  We should be using smart revenue methods, like the liberalization of certain industries to result in higher economic growth and thus tax revenue, or removing the state sales tax and implementing a series of smart property and income taxes for a less regressive approach to tax revenue raising.  The sell of state owned business, namely alcohol, should help the government raise revenues to not only pay back the amount we have taken out of the fiscal reserve, but to help pay off the budget every year.
Oglesby: The people of this state have seen enough taxation Westman.  Your plan would break their backs and is entirely unnecessary.  We can maintain this course if we just cut back on needless expenditures.  New taxes very rarely result in a reduction of spending.  Taxes are raised solely to help pay of increases in spending.  The only way we can get true fiscal conservatism is if we don't call for any tax increases but call for spending decreases.  That way the legislators in this state will feel true pressure to keep spending and government small.
Westman: Which has worked really well for conservatives the past four years right!?

The debate would showcase the very best of Scott Westman against the very best of the Conservative candidate Michael Oglesby.  While Westman had a strong showing in the debate, Michael Oglesby's ability to stand toe to toe with both the Republican incumbent and Westman would win him praise from many pundits.  As a result he would surpass Governor Peters as the preferred alternative to Westman.  Further, Westman would actually lose poll approval to Oglesby, presumably from conservative Democrats who felt disillusioned with the more liberal positions of Westman.  Almost overnight Oglesby's approval would explode and Governor Peters would be relegated to the position of "joke candidate".
It had seemed that once again Scott Westman had underestimated the strength of the Conservative Party of Montana.  Would his overconfidence doom him like it did in 1982?  Or has Scott Westman learned his lesson?

Poll Ratings
October 21st, 1984
Gubernatorial Race:

Former US Senator Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Former State Senator Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 41.51%
Governor Richard Peters (Republican-Circle)/Lieutenant Governor Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 19.12%
CPA Michael Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Doctor Julian Masters (Conservative-Glacier) 36.30%
Undecided/Other: 3.07%

Yes, I know sudden spike in Conservative approval seems unrealistic.  But I couldn't just have "hehehaha landslide victary!"  could I?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #548 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »

October 21st, 1984
Westman Campaign stop in Glasgow, Montana:

Scott Westman is in his campaign trailer when Carl Herschelwitz bursts in.
Herschelwitz: Scott!
Westman: I can't believe this bullsh*t.  I mean really, how the hell do these Conservative people always gain the ground on our asses two and a half weeks before election time?  I mean really?
Herschelwitz: Scott!  This is important!
Westman: I mean really man I'm fiscally conservative, I'm pro-gun, what more do these people want?!
Herschelwitz: It's Caroline man.
Westman: I can never find that woman I swear.  It's like she has a compulsion to go shopping wherever we go.  It's like my bank account is the Nile River and she is always swimming up north-
Herschelwitz: YOUR WIFE'S WATER BROKE DAMN IT!  WE NEED TO TAKE HER TO A HOSPITAL.....NOW!!!!
Westman looked up in disbelief.
Westman: Oh sh*t!  You serious!?
The two men bolt out of the trailer and head for one of the campaign vans.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #549 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »

October 21st, 1984
Westman Campaign stop in Glasgow, Montana:

Scott Westman is in his campaign trailer when Carl Herschelwitz bursts in.
Herschelwitz: Scott!
Westman: I can't believe this bullsh*t.  I mean really, how the hell do these Conservative people always gain the ground on our asses two and a half weeks before election time?  I mean really?
Herschelwitz: Scott!  This is important!
Westman: I mean really man I'm fiscally conservative, I'm pro-gun, what more do these people want?!
Herschelwitz: It's Caroline man.
Westman: I can never find that woman I swear.  It's like she has a compulsion to go shopping wherever we go.  It's like my bank account is the Nile River and she is always swimming up north-
Herschelwitz: YOUR WIFE'S WATER BROKE DAMN IT!  WE NEED TO TAKE HER TO A HOSPITAL.....NOW!!!!
Westman looked up in disbelief.
Westman: Oh sh*t!  You serious!?
The two men bolt out of the trailer and head for one of the campaign vans.

We're all havin' babies... Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies