Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 185033 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Two Hours Later

Scott Westman and Rachel Manderheim are in the back of the club smoking some cigarettes and having a nice drink.
Rachel laughs.
Rachel: That's funny.  Your aunt?
Westman: Well technically.
Rachel: Didn't that feel weird during the holidays?
Westman: Yeah a little.  We dated for maybe a year and a half.
Rachel: Wow, that's really long.  Didn't it feel weird though?
Westman: Not really.  If anything it felt more like a pure love, considering that y'know we were always in love.  As family.
Rachel: Okay, enough hippie non-sense.  What did you think of the deal?
Westman: No offense Rachel, but I'm not feeling it.  Your husband is cool and all but this seems like a risky investment.  I mean half of these girls look like they are hiding some sort of VD.
Rachel: Well good riddance I say to that.  Bastard is probably sleeping with half of them anyway.
Westman: You know Rachel, you look quite stunning.
Rachel blushes.
Rachel: That's sweet of you Scott.
Westman: It's just a shame you're an elder.
Rachel: Well, and I'm still married.  Anyway, Scott, baby........how long is your sister staying?
Westman: At least a year.  Why?
Rachel: Well I know it's not really none of my business, but she seems a little too attached to you.  I mean even your own daughter isn't up here, but your 30 year old single sister is.  Aren't you worried about the wrong messages that sends?
Westman: F*** them is what I say.  If a man can't love his sister who can he love?
Rachel: Well good for you Scott.  I wish I had a brother like you.  Really.  Poor Kieran is busy out making his life a miserable hell and taking everyone down with him.  I don't know what he was thinking moving to New Orleans.  Well besides getting sh*tfaced and cajun food and lots of sex with college age girls I don't know.
Westman: When was the last time you saw your brother?
Rachel: Two months ago.  He showed up to the club and he lambasted George at full length about some alleged affairs.  Needless to say he got his ass kicked by security shortly thereafter.
Westman: Well again, I'm sorry this deal didn't fall through but I don't really have an interest in this sort of property.
Rachel: Honey, you're a 33 year old lace curtain kid, what do you have to lose by investing a few ten thousand in this club?
Westman laughs.
Westman: Well for starters I prefer to be paying for the drinks, not for the house.  Second, I got more interest in a field with a much larger rate of return.
Westman pulls out a card he has in the New York Stock Exchange.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #826 on: February 08, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

Scott Westman Health Profile:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
Diagnosed:
March 18th, 1977

After years of being plagued by early morning trips to the restroom that would take two hours out of his morning, Senator Scott Westman visited the Bethseda Regional Medical Facility in Bethseda, Maryland out of concern that he might have a serious stomach condition.  The doctor, unable to detect an ulcer or some form of cancer, concluded that Scott Westman was actually suffering form Irritable Bowel Syndrome, a type of syndrome that has a number of symptoms including recurrent diarrhea or constipation, pain in the stomach after ingesting food, and relief of pain after relieving oneself.  On the subject of IBS, Mr. Westman has gone on record to say: "it's quite a crappy deal, really."

Kidney Stone
Passed out of body: February 2nd, 1983

During the early morning hours of February 2nd Mr. Westman was rushed to the Kalispell Regional Hospital with complaints of an unbearable pain in his pelvis.  An examination by the attending physician revealed that he had a larger than average kidney stone lodged in his urethra.  Using medical technology the physician was able to liquify the stone and it passed through Westman.

Broken Ribs
Caused by police brutality January 17th, 1969:

Doctor's Journal Entry:

Upon examining patient Westman it becomes apparent that the pain in his ribs is the result of forced breakage.  More accurately, the wounds seem to be concurrent with the theory that a police baton was indeed responsible for such breakage.  Mr. Westman, who was arrested by the police for being "extraneously loud" during an anti-war protest, got into a scuffle with the Butte police that ended with him and a few other protestors being assaulted by the police with baton and the butts of shotguns.  Mr. Westman has lost a lot of blood and we have no choice but to release him into the care of his wife Catalina and his sister Lenore.

-Dr. John Bello
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #827 on: February 08, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »

Man, kidney stones hurt like hell. I've got a friend of mine who's had more than one.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #828 on: February 08, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »

Man, kidney stones hurt like hell. I've got a friend of mine who's had more than one.

Yeah, and like every other guy I know has had one.

Which is why I thought it important to put it here: to show that Scott Westman is mortal.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #829 on: February 08, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »

October 4th, 1986
Helena, Montana:

Governor Scott Westman addresses a group of reporters:

"Today I have a very momentous announcement to make.  It concerns the future of not just this state, but of the entire nation.  As of this moment the state of Montana has entered an agreement with the state of Maryland to allow full and complete public access to our electronic information libraries.  This is critical because the only way we are really going to prevent what happened on September 6th is if we have a full informed public.  Being that Montana and Maryland are the first two, and so far only, states that have legalized the use of the World Wide Electronic Library this is a very momentous occasion as our two states can now share vital information, such as geopolitical detail, with each other and our citizens.  We sincerely hope that in this day and age, where the need for electronic media will far outweigh the need for the traditional order, that this movement will catch on and that other states shall follow in our footsteps.

Thank you.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #830 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2012, 09:35:33 PM by MechaRepublican »

October 5th, 1986:

Scott Westman is standing leaning against his desk talking to State Senator Helen Brisco (R-Billings).
Brisco: So I hear you've been around my neck of the woods?
Westman leans in near her ear and says softly.
Westman: I wish I had the pleasure of being around your neck of the woods.
Brisco laughs.
Helen Brisco was, at the age of 31, one of the youngest politicians in Montana.  She was also one of the most beautiful.  A libertarian Republican from the eastern part of the state, she was one of the more friendly Republicans to the Governor.  Lately though, the Governor has been trying to move past mere friendship in order to reach a "pragmatic consensus" with her on more issues than finance and the environment.
Brisco: I know many don't take male politicians for defenders of moral virtues Governor.....but you're almost becoming a self-parody.
Westman leans back on his desk.
Westman: Helen, you know I find women in power suits irresistible.  Especially Republicans.  Speaking of which there is this Green bill I'm working on......think you have some time in the evening so we can......spread bipartisanship?
Brisco laughs loudly.
Brisco: Okay Governor Horny Toad.
Westman: What?
The phone rings.
Damn it.  Totally ruined the mood.
Oh really now Scott?  Seemed pretty one sided to me?
Bullsh*t.  She totally wants it man.  Totally wants it.  You seemed to be close to getting "consensus".

Westman pecks her on the cheek.
Westman: Sorry hon, business calling.
Brisco blushes.  So we're on a cheek kissing basis now, Scott?
Westman: Hello?
Watson: Hey man.
Westman feels a great weight on his heart after hearing his friend's voice.
Westman: Larry............how're ya?
Watson: Well........a got a new kidney.  Feels kind of itchy.
Westman: Look Larry.......what happened before-
Westman hears laughter on the other side of the phone.
Watson: Y'know it's not a big deal man.  Media loves to blow sh*t like that up for ratings.  My wife attacked you on St. Patrick's Day after having a little too much whiskey?  Big deal!!
Westman feels a panic.
My god, he doesn't know.
Westman: Well good buddy.  How is Laura taking your recovery?
Watson: Oh I guess as well as possible.  She seems to be really upset though.  Like she feels so guilty about what's happened.
Westman: I can imagine why......
Watson: Frankly I could give a damn if you actually slept with her, considering how much pain this nation is in at the moment.
Westman: When do you think you'll be back in office?
Watson: Probably in a month or so.  Doctors say I have to undergo physical therapy or what not.  My name hasn't been withdrawn from the ballot and Gallup says that I'm beating Scranton by 20 points.  The Conservatives aren't even bothering to run somebody against me.  The state party is currently sending surrogates to campaign on my behalf.  Personally though, I would prefer to have a hand in the campaigning process.  Camera crew is going to be around tomorrow so I'll probably throw in some speech while they're around.
Westman: Well you definitely are a trooper man.
Brisco lays down on the couch and starts reading a magazine.
Larry shut the hell up.  I'm busy.
Watson: Anyway man, I'm sorry for all the drama of this event.  Anyway next time you're in Pittsburgh the drinks are on me.
Westman: Yeah, if the opposition hasn't buried me.  Anyway got to go man, I have to better biparty relations.
Watson: Good luck with that man.  Hopefully you can reconcile with Mendelik before November.
Westman looks over at Brisco, who moves her hair to one side of her face and winks.
Westman: Alright man, got to go.
Westman hangs up the phone.  He then heads over to the couch and sits down as Brisco repositions herself into his arms.
Westman: Well my dear........you seem to be a bit more willing to compromise.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #831 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »

Near Cape Cod, Massachusetts
May 19th, 1978:

US Senator Scott Westman is on a boat with his friend US Congressman Thad O'Connor of Maine and a couple of their female friends.  In Westman's lap was Elizabeth McEnroe, a former beauty pageant queen of Albany, New York who he had been dating for the past couple of weeks.  On O'Connor's arm was Mary Sears Lodge, a member of the politically prominent Republican Lodge family.  Her father, George C. Lodge II, was former US Secretary of State under Robert Kennedy (which shocked many people, considering the rivalry between the Lodge and Kennedy families) and her brother Harry C. Lodge was a US Congressman representing the southeast part of the state.  Despite the so-called "Hibernian Takeover" that occurred over the previous few decades the Lodge family still remained prominent enough to hold positions of power in Massachusetts.  They weren't as successful as say the Saltonstall family, with William Saltonstall being the Republican State Senate Leader and most likely the next Republican US Senator come November.
Thad had met Mary Lodge at a social event that was hosted by her mother Louise J. Lodge (nee Parker) in March.  Her mother, who took an instant liking of the young Maine congressman, tried as hard as possible to hook the two up over the protestation of her father.  The two would hit it off immediately and begin a two month courtship.  Unlike his friend Scott, who went through reporters and models left and right in a matter of weeks, O'Connor preferred a stable relationship.
Hell, the one relationship he had that wasn't stable was with one Nora Westman.
Scott's sister.
Mary holds his hand.
Mary: Thad?  Dear?  What's keeping you busy?
O'Connor: Well..........there's this thing in Maine.  The establishment is thinking about running Peter Snowe's girlfriend for the US Senate.
Mary laughs.
Westman blurts out.
Westman: Why don't they just run Peter Snowe?
O'Connor: Nah man, he's governorship material.  Anyway, I think this is a big mistake.
Mary: Why?  I thought Olympia was a pretty good legislator.
O'Connor: Well......I just don't think it's proper.  I mean, her boss is already a US Senator.
Westman: Man, it's not nepotism when the voters do it.  Anyway, it's not like dames belong in the US Senate anyway.
Elizabeth giggles.
Westman: I prefer them in bed on a nice cold wintry day myself.
O'Connor's relationship with Nora Westman was a very turbulent one.  Pretty much she came over to his apartment one evening and just jumped his bones.  And then when he woke up in the middle of the night he found her lying face down, buck naked, in his bathtub snorting cocaine.
Being a congressman who would be in hell if word got out about this, he flipped a sh*t and told her to flush it.
She refused.
It wasn't really a relationship at all, but three and a half weeks of the most brutal sex O'Connor ever had.  While he was seeing Nora Westman O'Connor had a very noticeable limp while in the US House.  Pretty much all that happened in that near month long period was him waking up, having sex, drink coffee, go to work, have lunch with some of his colleagues, go home early in the afternoon, then have sex until dinner, have dinner, and then continue to have hard sex with Nora until he passed out around 9:30 or so.  And like clockwork, she would get higher than a kite when he passed out.
Whoever said that women are the more fairer sex obviously never met Nora Westman.
He broke off the relationship one day after work when found it near impossible to focus on legislation due to all activity he did at home.
He was still sore a month after the relationship ended.
He greatly preferred the calmer, gentler, more reserved virginal Mary Lodge.  Thad O'Connor, being a man who never forced his intentions on women, was alright with that. He just liked her company.
Westman grabs a Guinness and kisses Elizabeth.
It was more than a safe guess that Senator Westman and his female guest had more intimate relations than O'Connor and Mary.  Despite dating for a much shorter time.
Westman: My dear, you look so beautiful today.  My only regret is that we aren't doing this on Flathead Lake.  A cold day with you would be like heaven.
O'Connor You know man, you should think about reintroducing that energy bill.
Westman: Really?  You think?
O'Connor: I don't know about the Senate, but in the House it would be pretty popular.  You got a lot of support from across the aisle.
Westman: Huh yeah right.
O'Connor: No I mean really.  Mark himself said he would endorse it if the Dem leadership comes out against you too strongly.
Westman: Well that's sweet of him.
O'Connor: You know, maybe Montana is like a whole lot more right wing than people give it credit for but you should seriously be a Republican.
Westman: My god, shot me.
O'Connor: I mean really man, you seem like you would fit in perfectly.
Westman: What with the rich ass yuppies and corporate elites?  No thanks.
O'Connor: You're not doing yourself any favors by being in Ronald Reagan's Democratic Party.
Westman: That's your best line?  Seriously?
O'Connor: I'm just saying man, government has expanded by like 500% since the New Deal.
Westman: Granted, FDR did blow up the size of the gov.  However in a few decades time with American society being upper-middle class the need for social welfare will diminish, as will it's support in the Democratic Party.  Besides, it's not like your Nelson Rockefeller was a fiscal conservative.
O'Connor: Funny....I'm actually more of a Goldwater fan.

(to be cont.)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #832 on: February 14, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »

May 19th, 1978
Cont.:

Westman:
Really you?
O'Connor: Yes, I campaigned for him in 1968.
Westman: And not for Mark?
O'Connor: Mark's views seemed a little too moderate back then.  For one I think he actually supported some farm subsidies or social welfare spending.  Barry took a hard line.  I liked that.
Westman: So did Bobby Kennedy.
O'Connor: Ha, Bobby Kennedy, while pretty brave for a Democrat, wasn't as near a fiscal conservative as Barry Goldwater is.
Westman: True, but a step in the right direction.  And he was pretty pragmatic in his presidency.......right Mary?
Mary chuckles.
Mary: I guess I must admit that much.
Westman: So you guys are up here to visit the folks for the break?
Mary: Well yeah you know don't get that much time to visit lately.  Plus William Saltonstall is going to be there.  I believe it would be a pretty important time for Thad to visit.
O'Connor: Yeah, Saltonstall is pretty much the one Republican who could save New England for us in the future.  He is onto something that most Northeast Republicans just aren't.
Westman: Well cool man, I guess you guys can go on with your grey poupon sandwich and caviar eating lifestyles.  Me, I'll just stay at home with my baby enjoying the breeze.
O'Connor: Always about the material things.............
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #833 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 11:17:24 PM by MechaRepublican »

Montana Political Party Approval Ratings:

September 1, 1986:

Democratic Party:
Approve:
38%
Disapprove: 52%
Unsure: 10%

Republican Party:
Approve:
48%
Disapprove: 41%
Unsure: 11%

Conservative Party:
Approve:
56%
Disapprove: 42%
Unsure: 2%

October 1, 1986:

Democratic Party:
Approval:
52%
Disapprove: 40%
Unsure: 8%

Republican:
Approve:
43%
Disapprove: 52%
Unsure: 5%

Conservative:
Approve:
34%
Disapprove: 63%
Unsure: 3%

Chances of Democrats Losing the State House: 14%
Chances of Democrats Losing the State Senate: 56%

In just a month the political environment in Montana had drastically changed.  Democrats, feeding off of the anger of hundreds of thousands of Montanans at the failure of the Crane Administration to prevent nuclear attacks on US soil, were bringing that anger to the state and local levels.  Despite the advantage in popularity polls though, the Democrats were still considered likely to lose the State Senate due to the vulnerability of several state senators in lean Republican districts.  Given that the Democrats only held 52% of the Senate two net losses in the state Senate would be enough to change the hold in the legislature.
Given the controversial tenure of Governor Scott Westman, it was unlikely that the Democrats would experience any massive gains.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #834 on: February 14, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »

Man... If Scott loses re-election, I wonder what could be next for him...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #835 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »

An incredibly close race for a county dogcatcher.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #836 on: February 14, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2012, 09:57:31 PM by MechaRepublican »

Well re-election is two years away.

What the polls mostly concern is the state legislative races that occur in 1986.  Given that Scott Westman's platform relies on a fragile coalition of libertarian Republicans and likeminded Democrats that at most make up 40% of the legislature, the polls are pretty important if he wants to gauge how to proceed with his agenda.
If Democrats gain too many seats at the expense of Republican seats Westman's agenda could ironically be in more danger because a lot of Democrats *shocker* disagree with Westman's overall political philosophy.  More than quite a few of those Republicans who are in lean/swing districts are the so-called "Montana mugwumps" who have been lambasted in quite a few cartoons as having some sort of freaky love affair with Scott Westman.  Needless to say, Democrats running in those districts don't feel the compulsion to act like they agree with said Republicans.
Not only would this damage his economic policy, but also social policy.
There are quite a few Montana Democrats, mostly so-called "Labor Democrats", who are strongly opposed to marijuana legalization, critical of full marriage equality for LGBT individuals, and even more disgusted by what they see as the "blatant Political Correctness surge by radical cultural Marxists".  While not as passionate about this as social conservatives, the liberal cultural attitude of Governor Westman is alienating to them.  It is estimated that about a third of the Montana Democratic legislative delegation consider themselves "Labor Democrats" who have voted against their own party's Governor about 62% of the time.  They argue that Scott Westman and other so-called "lace curtain" Democrats are destroying the Democratic Party from within by embracing the corporatism of the GOP and the cultural elitism of the Northeast.
Half of the Montana Democratic delegation (as well as Democratic voters) identify as "progressive", meaning that they tend to favor both economically and fiscally left policies.  They are quite a bit more friendly with Scott Westman, voting with the Governor around 80% of the time.  The "progressives", though they disagree with Scott Westman's economic worldview, see him as a "Governor for the people" who would support greater expansion of personal liberty in most aspects.  The one huge exception was when Scott Westman converted to the pro-life cause that caught many progressives off guard.  Nevertheless, they have bought Scott Westman as a true anti-elitist "lessor of evils" type of politician.  They tend to be among the most loyal party members of the Montana Democratic Party, most members voting for the abolition of the Sales Tax and on the bipartisan compromise on the state income tax.  Gaining more of these Democrats wouldn't have that much of a net effect on the way of things.
On the Republican side, due to the emergence of the Conservative Party, the GOP is becoming more and more libertarian leaning.  About 60% of the party is now of the so-called "D'Israeli" wing, as opposed to the moderates and liberals who were dominant under Richard Peters who tried to bring Rockefeller Republicanism to the state of Montana.  This wing of the GOP has so far voted around 50% of the time with Scott Westman.  Some members of the GOP have even voted over 90% of the time with Scott Westman, though it should be pointed out that these Republicans are old school labor union Republicans (something unheard of in a lot of states) and other Republicans liberal enough to be almost second reincarnations of Fiorello LaGuardia.  This makes a very interesting contrast, as these Republicans, as left on economics as they are, strongly support Scott Westman while die hard labor Democrats vote a majority against him.  A lot of people who criticize Scott Westman for being a "Republican in All But Name" point out the amount of agreement that many liberal/libertarian Republicans have with Westman.
What is missing from this analysis though is that a lot of Westman's Republican allies are opposed to his so-called "Green Montana" plan.  The ambitious program, which would strive to make Montana the top green state in the nation by 1996, is estimated to have a total price tag of $96 million.  The GOP allies of Westman oppose the Green Montana plan due to the excessive government that would be needed to implement the plan throughout the state of Montana.  Many are aslo opposed to the very principle of it, due to Westman's open support of subsidies to fund the creation and growth of green energy.  Even more critical people, even Westman's own Lt. Governor Mendelik D'Israeli, call Westman's plan as "blatant government enforced favoritism to a tiny segment of the current market".
So in a way, Westman's agenda would benefit the most from a slight Democratic majority in the state legislature.  However, if the Democratic majority gets too big he will be forced to move even further to the left than he did in his first two years (many conservatives and libertarians point out the historically enormous wage increases for Government workers as signs that Scott Westman is, in his heart, a converted leftist).

If Scott Westman becomes President, he is probably the only Democratic President who wouldn't want a supermajority.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #837 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2012, 06:32:40 AM by MechaRepublican »

If you look at Scott Westman's entire political history to date, it's not really impressive when it comes to win-loss.  In fact, considering his reputation it's kind of sad:

1974: Montana Congressional District Democratic Primary Whatever: Lost.
1976: Montana Democratic Senatorial Primary: Won.
1976: Montana US Senate Race: Won.
1980: US Vice Presidential Race: Lost
1982: Montana Democratic Senatorial Primary: Won.
1982: Montana US Senate Race: Lost.
1984: Montana Gubernatorial Democratic Primary: Won
1984: Montana Gubernatorial Race: Won.

Three losses and five victories overall.
When it comes to statewide races (excluding primaries) his record is 2 to 2.  A 50% win percentage.
If President Crane's administration manages to score a major victory against whoever bombed America a few months before November 1988, Westman and other naysayers of the President's foreign policy could be in big trouble.  Given Westman's not-so impressive win-loss record this probably won't be good and he might as well accept the title "sexiest politician to never win re-election" and be through with it.
Only if the GOP (or whoever is the opposition is) screwed up in the most imaginable way possible would Westman be able to get back into political office after two statewide shamings.  Ironically, he would share the distinction of being a repeat loser with Scoop Jackson, who ITTL was elected to office, kicked out of office a few years later, elected to another office, and then kicked out again.

We shall see what the next few years look like.

His record is absolutely dismal compared to his friend Lawrence "Larry" Watson, who has NEVER lost a political race since his first race in 1976 (when he was only 25 years old) for the US House representing parts of Pittsburgh.

NOTE: The story has been re-edited accordingly to legitimatize this entry.

NOTE: Story has been edited back after realizing I can't double dip with the age thing.   Sorry for the confusion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #838 on: February 15, 2012, 01:41:02 AM »

If you look at Scott Westman's entire political history to date, it's not really impressive when it comes to win-loss.  In fact, considering his reputation it's kind of sad:

1974: Montana Congressional District Democratic Primary Whatever: Lost.
1976: Montana Democratic Senatorial Primary: Won.
1976: Montana US Senate Race: Won.
1980: US Vice Presidential Race: Lost
1982: Montana Democratic Senatorial Primary: Won.
1982: Montana US Senate Race: Lost.
1984: Montana Gubernatorial Democratic Primary: Won
1984: Montana Gubernatorial Race: Won.

Three losses and five victories overall.
When it comes to statewide races (excluding primaries) his record is 2 to 2.  A 50% win percentage.
If President Crane's administration manages to score a major victory against whoever bombed America a few months before November 1988, Westman and other naysayers of the President's foreign policy could be in big trouble.  Given Westman's not-so impressive win-loss record this probably won't be good and he might as well accept the title "sexiest politician to never win re-election" and be through with it.
Only if the GOP (or whoever is the opposition is) screwed up in the most imaginable way possible would Westman be able to get back into political office after two statewide shamings.  Ironically, he would share the distinction of being a repeat loser with Scoop Jackson, who ITTL was elected to office, kicked out of office a few years later, elected to another office, and then kicked out again.

We shall see what the next few years look like.

His record is absolutely dismal compared to his friend Lawrence "Larry" Watson, who has NEVER lost a political race since his first race in 1974 (when he was only 24 years old) for the US House representing parts of Pittsburgh.

NOTE: The story has been re-edited accordingly to legitimatize this entry.

That's a really bad record given that Westman has national standing. Hopefully the next couple of years pick up for him. I'd like to see Scott stick around and if possible back in Washington. There are just so many more characters there for him to interact with again... Either way, you've always kept my interest in the story.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #839 on: February 17, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 07:58:28 PM by MechaRepublican »

"Scott Westman may go down in history as one of the most transformative Governors in the history of Montana, if not the entire United States of America.  His strong libertarian sympathies, which were first shown in the US Senate with his Tax Reform Bill of 1981 would come out to the forefront as Governor of Montana.  As a result many of his fellow Democrats, more in the spirit of the economic progressivism of Ronald Reagan, opposed him as much as possible.  Arguably, the so-called "Labor Democrats" that rose up early in his tenure probably harmed his agenda more so than the Conservaties who strongly opposed his ambitious plans for expanding green energy and healthcare access in Montana.  The Republican Party, once his most hated enemy, would slowly become his trusted ally when it came time for his pragmatic and libertarian agenda to be pushed through.  Sure, there were bitter Peters partisans still upset about 1984, but for the most part the party had gone the way of the D'Israelis......who had slowly but surely taken over the party leadership.
However, the biggest challenge of Scott Westman was to convince the voters that despite the economic downturn, the rise in crime, accusations of corruption and ethics violation, the war in Montana's backyard, and his admitted marital infidelities that he was still worthy of the trust of the Montana populace.  Going against his greatest opponent.........it was no easy task."

-John Malkovich
Adjunct Professor of History, Notre Dame
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #840 on: February 18, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Senator Watson, from the Hospital bed:

"Today I come to you from this unfortunate situation.  As some of you may know my heart gave way nearly two months ago.  It could be said that this nation's heart has given way.  That the spirit of this nation has been weakened by the grave attacks that have taken place on our American soil.  I wish I could be there, campaigning actively, for your votes.  HOwever, know that with whatever strength I have on me now that I promise to vote for the bills that keep this nation safe.
My brother Charles, he gave his life for what this country represents.  We never thought his sacrifice was in vain.  It was his devotion, the same devotion of millions of our armed forces, that is truly the pride of our national defense.
And now, as my children go into this world short a grandmother and short of an uncle, it is my hope that they grow up knowing that they hadn't died in vain.  That this nation moved forward into the bright shining horizon ahead.  The horizon that was always ahead of our future.  I know not whether Senator Moynihan's suggestions will lead us to victory, or if Congressman O'Connor's, but I do know that out of the ashes of despair our nation will rise again."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #841 on: February 18, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »

-John Malkovich
Adjunct Professor of History, Notre Dame

I love this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #842 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »

CNN News Excerpt
October 6th, 1986:

A month after the tragic bombings we estimate that the total death toll from the September 6th event to be 2.3 million.  1.2 million killed in the immediate blasts, a million and one more from lethal doses of radiation poisoning.  If it weren't for the efforts of New York City Mayor Edward Koch and Miami Interim Mayor Robert K. Tydings the death toll likely would've been much higher.  The aftermath of the bombings are already being felt, as millions have left the boroughs of New York City.  If present trends continue.....New York City will be a ghost town by 1990.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #843 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 09:26:04 PM by MechaRepublican »

October 11th, 1986
The Front Steps of the White House
Press Conference:

Secretary of Defense William Buckley and US Attorney General Jay Rockefeller are standing before an assembled press audience of several hundred.  Secretary Buckley starts speaking.
Buckley: We are slowly gaining information about possible suspects.  What we do know is that the people who did this had access to Soviet era nuclear arms that were used in the bombings.  This was committed by someone who had wide access to the resources of other nations to carry out that attack.  And from what we can tell, they didn't have the best nuclear experts.
Press: This doesn't seem like anything new.
Buckley: Well....wait.  We interrogated a few of the bombers who spoke to us in Russian accents.  They tried to convince us that the bombers were a part of the Caspian Liberation Force.  You might know their IDs and mug shots as given from the Chicago PD, Vegas, and Dallas.
Buckley holds up the pictures.
Buckley: What you may not know is that we ran a thorough background check on these terrorists, even going as far as to get a man undercover to investigate the CLF.  What we found out was disturbing: the CLF is crapping itself scared about what has happened.  The leaders are in panic mode and the last thing they wanted was for an attack on America that would motivate us to act with swift fury against the Caspian.  Not only that, but we could find no record of any of these men being members of the CLF.
Press: Well, we know it's not the CLF....but couldn't it be the Russian government itself?  To demoralize the US and force us into borrowing debt from Russia to fix this nation in the time of crisis?
Buckley points at the press member.
Buckley: That's a possibility.  However, we questioned one of the men under intense pressure and he ended up cracking.  When we asked him about his hometown in Kazakhstan and how his family life was like he burst under the pressure.  What we ended up getting from him was this:
Voice: Chun an grá Dia é a dhéanamh d'fheidhm!
There is an awkward silence across the audience.
Buckley: That isn't Russian............................
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #844 on: February 21, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »

Lol.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #845 on: February 21, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

November 6th, 1940
Manhattan, New York:

William Westman wakes up and stares at the radio.
Oh morning.  Time to see the results.
Senator Westman walks into his upscale apartment kitchen and kisses his wife Anne on the cheek.
Westman: Mornin' love.  HOw're the results?
Anne Westman throws down the newspaper on the table.  Westman goes over and starts to read the paper.
New York Times Headline: Roosevelt cruises to Third Term in Landslide.
Westman: Whatever.
Results surprisingly close in New York state.  Roosevelt 50.98%-Willkie 48.65%
Westman: Well, seems like some of my efforts weren't wasted in that regard.
He turns over to the political section and reads.
Federal Elections Results:
Second Page Feature: Westman shocks New York with upset over LaGuardia:
Early this morning when the votes were all tallied up and counted, Incumbent US Senator William Westman defeated New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia by a 105,000 plus vote margin.

Westman laughs.
Westman: This is too great!

Later that Evening
Washington, D.C.
Oval Office:

Roosevelt:
I can't believe that son of a bitch survived!
Secretary of State Cordell Hull: Well, word on the street is that James Farley was seen at his campaign headquarters.  Also, it isn't like you've been friendly with Tammany and other machines since you've been elected.  Hell, Joseph Kennedy is two seconds away from telling you to go screw yourself.
Roosevelt: Well damn Joe Kennedy.  The man is a hardon.
Door opens.
Westman: Oh I agree Mr. President.  Joe is indeed a hardon.  Half the time I want to give him a nice wallop to get the ego out of his brains.
Roosevelt stammers.
Westman: Anyway Mr. President, I'm so happy to see you doing nice and well.  I was worried about your chances, considering your Administration's self destructive attacks and campaigns against it's own party members.
Roosevelt snaps a pencil in half.
Roosevelt: Don't talk smart with me you tenpenny son of a bitch!
Westman comes over to his desk.
Westman: Or you'll do what lil Frankie?  Get out of your wheelchair and dropkick me?  Ha!
Westman reaches over and takes one of FDR's cigars and lights it up.
He looks over at FDR, who is fuming mad, and then gives an almost salacious grin.
Westman: Oh, may I have a cigar?
FDR slams his hands on the desk.
FDR: GO AHEAD!  TAKE ONE!  TAKE TWO!  TAKE THEM ALL, LIGHT THEM, AND SMOKE THEM UP YOUR ASS!
Westman throws his head back and goes into an almost uncontrollable spasm of laughter.
Hull: Okay Willie, we get the point.  Now please, for the betterment of the nation, go back to work and stop gloating about-
FDR: Shut up Hull, you spineless little dork!  This man has made a mockery out of the President!  So be it.  You better hope my ass is grass by 1946 boy, because the only way you're going to win re-election next time is when Hell freezes over!
Westman: All men can dream Frankie.
FDR: Quit calling me Frankie you machine hack son of a bitch!
Westman: Sorry, Rosey.
FDR throws up his hands.
Damn it.  I can't stand this son of a bitch.  If I had the use of my legs I would kick his ass.
Westman: As I was saying, all men can dream Franklin.
About damn time.
Westman: Just like Wendell Willkie dreamt that somehow he lost by New York state by only 2.33%!  Haha!
FDR's face is literally beet red.
Hull looks over at Westman.
Hull: I think you better go Willie.  Anyway, congratulations on winning re-election.  Well, it looks like our party is back on track gentlemen.  Thank god for Presidential Elections, huh?
Westman pats him on the arm.
Westman: Nice to see you Cord.  And good luck keeping us out of war, eh?
Westman cackles.
Hull: Son of a bitch!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #846 on: February 22, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2012, 12:15:57 AM by MechaRepublican »

January 18th, 1980
Los Angeles, California
Hilton Hotel:

Scott Westman had just woken up in the afternoon after a well deserved rest.  He turns around to see a full dressed young woman next to his bed.
Brea: Dad.
Westman jumps out of bed in fright.....just now remembering that he had taken a week's long absence to go vacationing in LA with his daughter.  Fellow Senators looked down on his want for vacation time, then again other Senators didn't seem to enjoy their child's company as much.
Which was a source of controversy amongst some circles.
Westman: Oh god oh god, what time is it?
Brea: Well it's 5 man.  If we hope to get to the Chateau LaReuge on time..........
Westman: Oh right.  You know honey, I'm not sure if I've told you this but out of all the young women in the world I could be with right now-
Brea: Yeah I know, I'm the one you want to be with the most.  Blah blah blah.  Whatever.
Westman puts on a Yes t-shirt and a leather jacket.
Brea looks over at him amused.
Brea: Silly dad.....a t-shirt and jacket?
Westman: If you wanted me to put effort into my appearance you should've woken me up an hour and a half ago.  This is what you get.
Brea sighs.
Brea: You know while you were sleeping the whole afternoon away I pretty much slaved on my appearance.  I spent an hour and a half working on my hair, another hour applying makeup, and then I had to put on this thing.
Westman looks at her attire, which was a reflective silver dress that cost him $3,450, as well as the elaborate jewelry set that cost him $27,890 (with her total outfit costing a little over $31,000 many in the media world attacked Westman for his extravagant spending).  For $31,440....she looked really good.
Westman: Darling, you look breathtaking.  Mindblowing even.  Every man in the universe is jealous of me!
Brea smiles.
Westman: But, we got two and a half hours to get to the other side of town.  So too bad I won't play dress up.

Two Hours Later:

The LA Chamber of Commerce is assembled at the Chateau LaReuge when a very attractive 16 year old girl and some guy in a rock band t-shirt and a leather jacket burst through the room.
Chamber President Martin Raybaum: Excuse me sir!  Are you in the right place?
The man goes to one end of the table and takes off his leather jacket.  He glances up at the Chamber President and speaks up.
Westman: Yes as a matter of fact I do.  Scott Westman, US Senator-Montana.  How'd you do?
Raybaum: Oh Senator, forgive us.  We were expecting somebody a little bit older, with a haircut, and business formal attire.
Westman: Well I hate to disappoint you, but I'm on a tight schedule.
Raybaum: Nice of you and your friend to join us.  How long have you two known each other?
Westman: (counting it over in his head) About 16 years, give or take.
Feeling the awkward air, Brea speaks up.
Brea: I'm his daughter.
There is an audible sigh heard around the room.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #847 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2012, 09:19:57 PM by MechaRepublican »

The Gay Vote:

The measurement of the gay vote has been hard to garner, due to the illegality of homosexual relations in many parts of the country up until the 1960 State of North Carolina vs. Casey court decision.  Due to many gay Americans keeping quiet on their orientation due to fear of prejudice it's been extraordinarily difficult for political polling companies to analyze the the way that gay Americans have voted in previous elections.  The first real gay political poll was established in 1958 in San Francisco.  However, the results of that poll weren't really reliable due to the limited amount of poll recipients (pretty much it polled gays in the San Francisco Bay area).
It wouldn't be until the 1970 Congressional Elections when Gallup Polling would pick up gay polling:

1970: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll
Republican Party: 58%
Democratic Party: 36%
Other: 6%

1972: Gallup Gay America Congressional Exit Poll
Republican Party: 51%
Democratic Party: 45%
Other: 4%

1972 Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll
Robert F. Kennedy (Democratic-New York): 48%
Spiro Agnew (Republican-Maryland): 45%
Other: 7%

1974: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll
Republican Party: 57%
Democratic Party: 34%
Other: 9%

1976: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll
Republican Party: 51%
Democratic Party: 44%
Other: 5%

1976: Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll
Eliot Richardson (Republican-Massachusetts): 60%
Ronald Reagan (Democratic-California): 37%
Other: 3%

1978: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll
Republican Party: 60%
Democratic Party: 32%
Other: 8%

1980: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll
Republican Party: 40%
Moderate Reform/Liberal: 22%
Democratic Party: 20%
Constitution: 10%
Other: 8%

1980: Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll 1:
Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 28%
Jacob Javits (Moderate Reform/Liberal-New York) 27%
Walter Mondale (Democratic-Minnesota) 20%
Phillip Crane (Constitution-Illinois) 18%

1980: Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll 2:
Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 36%
Walter Mondale (Democratic-Minnesota): 27%
Phillip Crane (Constitution-Illinois): 25%
Jacob Javits (Moderate Reform/Liberal-New York): 12%

1980: Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll Final:
Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 72%
Phillip Crane (Constitution-Illinois) 28%

1982: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll:
Republican Party: 50%
Democratic Party: 37%
Moderate Reform/Liberal: 7%

1984: Gallup Gay America Exit Poll:
Republican Party: 45%
Democratic Party: 36%
Conservative: 14%

1984: Gallup Gay America Presidential Exit Poll:
Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma): 41%
Michael Harrison (Republican-California): 37%
Phillip Crane (Conservative-Illinois) 20%
Other: 2%

The gay community has traditionally been a Republican stronghold, if exit polling is accurate.  However in recent years the demographic has become a swing demographic in presidential elections.  1972 can be explained away by President Robert Kennedy's enormous popularity and challenger Spiro Agnew's controversies that allowed RFK to go as far as winning even die hard Republican states like Vermont.  It is likely that the gay community felt failed by the GOP ticket of that year and voted for RFK.  It wouldn't be until 1984, the year of the Crane landslide, that the gay vote would pull for the Democrat.  This time it would be Fred Harris, a dye in the wool progressive grassroots candidate who campaigned openly on full gay equality.  The Republican ticket of that year, being perceived as an extraordinary weak ticket, would be passed over for the very liberal Democratic ticket.  Fred Harris campaign would be very unique in that while being one of the worst Democratic performances in history, he would win commanding victories in several different demographic groups, gays being one of those groups.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #848 on: February 24, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #849 on: February 24, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2012, 11:36:31 PM by MechaRepublican »

Gallup Polls Ethnic Vote Exit Poll Studies
The Irish American Vote
Since 1948:

In the post-Truman era one of the strongest Democratic voting blocs have been the Irish American.  For over a hundred and fifty years many an Irishman has been drawn toward the Democratic Party for it's embrace of democratic principle and for support of the common man.  This trend has continued, with a few exceptions, since the time of Andrew Jackson.  This is especially the most significant amongst Catholics, who have traditionally voted 80-95% Democratic.  Protestants and other religious groups tend to be swing voters, if not lean Republican.  However, Catholics are more likely to identify as  "Irish" on population census forms than non-Catholics (surveys have indicated that many non-Catholic Irish Americans simply identify as "American" on the Census), thus leading to a sort of natural distortion in the true voting nature of Americans of Irish descent.  Thus, most polls shouldn't be taken as absolute truth, but of what is known on gathered population census bureau information.
NOTE: This excludes so-called "Scot-Irish" Americans who have their own polling data.

1948 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Harry Truman (Democratic-Missouri): 60%

Thomas Dewey (Republican-New York): 38%

1948 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 64%

Republican Party: 35%
Other: 1%

1950 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 71%

Republican Party: 28%

1952 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Estes Kefauver (Democratic-Tennessee): 62%

Thomas Dewey (Republican-New York): 36%

1952 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 70%

1954 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 63%

Republican Party: 34%

1956 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Estes Kefauver (Democratic-Tennessee): 70%

Harold Stassen (Republican-Minnesota): 27%

1956 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 73%

Republican Party: 23%

1958 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 60%

Republican Party: 39%

1960 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
James Roosevelt (Democratic-California): 72%

Charles Percy (Republican-Illinois): 25%

1960 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 67%

Republican Party: 31%

1962 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 69%

Republican Party: 26%

1964 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Mike Monroney (Democratic-Oklahoma): 57%

Thurston Morton (Republican-Kentucky) 40%

1964 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:

Republican Party: 39.5%
Other: .5%

1966 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 66%

Republican Party: 32%

1968 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Robert Kennedy (Democratic-New York): 73%

George Romney (Republican-Michigan): 15%
George Wallace (American Independent-Alabama): 11%

1968 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 71%

Republican Party: 23%

1970 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 69%

Republican Party: 24%

1972 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Robert Kennedy (Democratic-New York): 82%

Spiro Agnew (Republican-Maryland): 15%

1972 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 76%

Republican Party: 18%

1974 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 56%

Republican Party: 40%

1976 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Ronald Reagan (Democratic-California): 59%

Eliot Richardson (Republican-Massachusetts): 37%

1976 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:

Republican Party: 39%

1978 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 52%

Republican Party: 41%

1980 Gallup Irish America Congressional Polling:
Democratic Party: 37%

Constitution Party: 21%
Moderate Reform/Liberal: 8%

1980 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling 1st Round:
Walter Mondale (Democratic-Minnesota): 34%

Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois): 33.7%
Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 18.2%
Edward Crane (Classic Liberal-California): 9%
Jacob Javits (Moderate Reform-New York): 3%
Others: 2.1%

1980 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling 2nd round:
Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois): 39%

Walter Mondale (Democratic-Minnesota): 33%
Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 14.6%
Jacob Javits (Moderate Reform-New York): 13.4%

1980 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling Final:
Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois): 69.9%

Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming): 30.1%

"When many Irish Americans went to the voting booth that final runoff election that gave everybody and their grandmother hangovers there was one question on their mind: "Do I vote for the guy who is running on the ticket of a party that has ranks of anti-Catholic bigots and people who want to return to Prohibition, or do I vote for Satan himself?!"
Luckily for all of us, they fear eternal damnation more than they hate Prohibition."-Political Humorist Richard O'Doyle.

1982 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 40%

Republican Party: 27%
Conservative: 16.2%
Moderate Reform/Liberal: 14.4%
Other: 2.4%

1984 Gallup Irish America Presidential Exit Polling:
Philip Crane (Conservative-Illinois): 43.2%

Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma): 41.8%
Michael Harrison (Republican-California): 12.4%
Others: 2.6%

1984 Gallup Irish America Congressional Exit Polling:
Democratic Party: 45%

Conservative Party: 33%
Republican Party: 20%

As one can see the Irish vote has seen some extraordinary trending in the last decade or so.  While Democrats have led the demographic in congressional races, in presidential races third party conservatives has provided strong alternatives for many Catholics to “Democrat as usual”.  The nomination of Massachusetts Senator Brendan Lynch as the Democratic VP in 1984 wasn’t enough to stop Phil Crane from winning the Irish vote though it arguably kept up the margins in the congressional races.
For the Republican Party, however, growth potential amongst Irish Americans seems very disappointing at most.  It had seemed as though, with Reagan’s unpopularity, that there might’ve been an opportunity for Republicans to win this voter demographic until Phil Crane’s third party run in 1980.  Horrible news for Republicans, but very good news for the Conservative Party which has generated much of it’s strength from disillusioned Irish American Democrats.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies