Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 185015 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 19, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »

Awesome update! Can we see the 1980 GOP primary map? I also love how you stole a concept from what's actually going on.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2012, 02:59:59 AM »

Alright, here are the GOP Primaries of 1980:

Blue=Philip Crane (Illinois)
Red=Robert Dole (Kansas)
Green=John Anderson (Illinois)
Yellow=Beauregard D'Israeli (Wyoming)

Crane pulls off a decisive popular vote victory in the primaries, though a bit short of a majority.  Later, at the Convention, numerous state delegations turn out in favor of D'Israeli, implicating a possible "ninja delegate" plot by D'Israeli's backers to seize the nomination.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2012, 04:00:27 PM »

The King's Corner
December 29th, 1986
Interview with Montana US Senator Killian Darkwater:

King:
This is the King's Corner.  Today I have with me one of the Senate's most introverted members.  Yes, Senator Killian Darkwater of Montana, who has given a grand total of zero interviews since being sworn into office.  Good to have you Senator.
Darkwater: Good to be here King.
King: Anyway, why do you rarely give interviews?
Darkwater: Well, because I'm a big believer in the policies speaking louder than words.  I believe that flirtation with the media is only for those who are in it truly for the higher office.
King: Like your buddy Scott Westman, right?
Darkwater laughs.
Darkwater: Oh yes certainly King.  The Governor has a most ambitious program, the likes of which has never been seen or attempted in any other state.  It will be most interesting to see how it turns out now that we have the numbers.
King: So, you are open about your support for the Governor?
Darkwater: Yes King.  This Governor has done more than any Governor has in decades to advance our state into the spotlight and into economic and fiscal prosperity.  Of course, it is hard with political alliances that seem destined to want to put the average American in the hole for the wants of a few.  Or, for those within our own party that are willing to sacrifice civil liberty and civil right for security.
King: There are many out there that say that there is a war going on in the Montana Democratic Party.  That there are those, like David Mansfield, who are trying to hold onto the ways of the Old Guard.  And that there is Scott Westman and yourself who represent a sort of new guard that is set on pushing forth a radical green agenda that most Democrats really don't want.  Care to respond?
Darkwater: Yes King.  It is true that, as with many political parties, the Montana Democratic Party does have it's own internal divisions.  We do struggle and have struggled on many issues, such as race equality, gender equality, rights for gay and lesbian Americans, the controversial issue of abortion, on which me and the Governor disagree on-
King: Interesting.
Darkwater: the legal status of so-called "Medical" Marijuana, what is a progressive tax system, you name it.  This is a big tent party with lots of opinions about how things are done.  However, at the end of the day we are all Democrats and we have the interests of the common man and his family at heart.  We are the people's champions, here to combat the spread of corporatist influences and the monetization of American politics that is proving to be damning to the system as it should be.  This, more than any other reason, is why I have been more faithful to fellow Democrats in the Big Sky state, and to my friend, the Governor.  We have chosen to take the right path, no matter how damning it is to our fortunes on the national stage.  It's either do or die, and with the Constitutional rights being threatened in this day and age with such legislation as the "Protect America Act", I intend to stay right here.
King: So, would you endorse David Mansfield for the Senate?
Darkwater: Yes I would.  He is his father's son.  He respects what the Framers put forth when they demanded the right of privacy, that is enough.  He has spoken eloquently in opposition to the very threats that our country are facing.  A few bad comments about how me and the Governor approach social policy too radically or that we are trying to force a Green Revolution on the nation isn't enough to overweigh the good that this man says.  We are a united party, and as a united party we allow dissent.  If not for our dissent we wouldn't be as near as strong as we are or as effective in dealing with the issues that plague this great nation.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #928 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

Classic Political Ads
The Infamous "Lever Rifle" Ad

"The Following TV Ad is brought to you by Edward L. Finnegan:"

The video shows a strikingly handsome man with sandy brown hair in his mid thirties sitting in front of the camera.  He has a rifle next to his chair.

Hello, this is Edward L. Finnegan, your Democratic nominee for the First Congressional District.  As of late there has been a lot of talk from big state Republicans about the need for more "gun control".  Some of these measures range from having extensive background checks that are excessive violations of the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution.  Worse yet, several politician have come out in favor of all out gun bans on certain firearms, a very clear violation of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.
In stark contrast to the people of this congressional district, current Representative has voted 85% with the Republican Party leadership on increased gun regulations that go against the Bill of Rights.  Of note, he voted for a bill in 1967 that would've banned "exotic rifles" that included the ever so popular Clofield RM4700 Series that has been Montana's best selling rifle for the past three years!  He has also supported legislation, the Chafee "Verified Gun Owners" Act that would not only require a two week long verification process that asks every question from "are you married?" to when was the last time you put primer on your house to determine how safe it is for you to own a gun.  Further, Congressman Summers has even come out in support of the "Gun Medical Safety" Bill proposed by Vermont Representative Robert Stafford that would require a doctor's signature to verify the mental stability of the gun owner.
A doctor's signature, for a gun!?  That insane logic may fly in Hartford or your ski resort buddies in Vermont, but that doesn't fly here Brian!

Vote for the defense of Montana values, vote Finnegan.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #929 on: June 22, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 03:04:21 PM by James Badass Monroe »

February 12th, 1987
Helena, Montana
The Usual Place:

Scott Westman was in his office mulling over the latest polling on the Green Montana project.
This won't be the most popular thing I've done, ever.  Right now it looks like only about 41% of voters approve of the plan.
Westman had been working on this Green Montana project ever since his first congressional race.  At first, in his campaigns, it had started out simply as a comprehensive energy conservation bill that embraced free market principles that dealt with the lack of greener energy by attacking dirty fuel subsidies.  Eventually, Westman's infant dream was realized in June of 1981 when his Westman Energy Bill passed, leading to the cutting of tens of billions of dollars in subsidies to big oil.  For the Democratic Senator, who had failed to get it passed under the Democratic President Reagan and the Democratic Congress of 1977-1979, his victory in the first year of the Crane Presidency was a great moment for him.
He would've never had it passed if it weren't for the votes of a number of brave Republican lawmakers who broke with the party on the issue.  Westman would learn early on that for whatever disagreements he had with them, it was the libertarian lawmakers who would ultimately help his policies become reality.  Not the liberals who supported him, not the progressives who sided with him out of party loyalty, but the principled pro-liberty Republicans who put aside their party loyalty in pursuit of a better future.
Later on, as he realized that he was closer and closer to the end of his national career, he realized that it wasn't enough to desubsidize dirty energy.  He needed to initiate a green revolution in his state that would be unrivaled in any other.  He needed a comprehensive government works program, with cooperation from private industry, to advance Montana into the Green Energy Era.  He need an energy revolution that would do more than bring clean energy.  He needed one that would empower the rural areas, to bring them in harmony with their urban brothers.
In short, he was attempting to bring back the Jeffersonian spirit through the guise of Green Montana.
The price tag for the project was estimated to be $250 million, and rising by the day.  The price he intended to pay for with the implementation of a 6% Land Values Tax on land with a value of $10,000 or more.  The tax would be a temporary one, in addition to the progressive state income tax.  The estimated revenue generated from the land values tax would be more than enough to pay for the Green Montana Program, and then some.  Eventually, all state level taxation would be consolidated into a progressive Land Values Tax system:

Those with land that is $10,000 or under would pay 4.5% of the value of the land
Those who have land valued at $10,000 or more would pay $450 plus 4.85% of the amount over $10,000 up to $38,500.
Those with value of land over $38,500 would pay $1832 plus 6% of the value over $38,500 up to land value of $68,550.
Land with value of over $68,550 would pay $3635 plus 7.85% of the value over $68,550 up to land value of $100,750.
Land with value of over $100,750 would pay $6,163 plus 8.92% of the value over $100,750 but under $162,450.
Land with value over $162,450 would pay $11,667 plus 11.25% of the value over $162,450 but under value of $305,000.
Land with value over $305,000 would pay $27,704 plus 13.00% of the value over $305,000 but under value of $550,000.
Land with value over $550,000 would pay $59,554 plus 14.70% of the value over $550,000.

These rates are on the value of the land itself, excluding the value of buildings, personal property and other improvements.  Westman's fiscal advisors have estimated that the plan, if put into action, would greatly reduce the tax burden on most Montanans and also result in over $3.2 in government revenues.  In theory, those who don't own land would have no state level taxation, though in practice they can be indirectly taxed if landowners increase rent fees to cover the tax.

However, that was still to come in the future.  With a progressive income tax system already established, Westman would have to wait until at least 1990 to push this plan, once the flaws of the progressive income tax system and property taxation became apparent.

Lately, a number of "Labor Democrats" had begun to speak out against Green Montana, claiming supporting it would mean "an extraordinary loss for our mining industry."  Lately Westman has found it hard to walk around Butte with some of the people calling him the "Radical GreenFreak Governor."

And now here he was, the last month before the deadline.  He had to get it together.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #930 on: June 22, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »

Not sure if I'd have gone Dole or Crane.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #931 on: June 24, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »

I have to say, this is one of the best TL's on the site. Well done.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »

I have to say, this is one of the best TL's on the site. Well done.

Wow thank you mogrieb.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #933 on: June 24, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

I've decided to try to compile William Westman's career:

William Westman (September 11th, 1896-April 19th, 1977: Age 80)

Member of the New York State Senate from Manhattan (January 1st, 1927-January 30th, 1928)
Member of the United States Senate from New York (December 3rd, 1938-March 2nd, 1945)
United States Secretary of Commerce (March 2nd, 1945-January 20th, 1949)
United States Ambassador to the Court of St. James (March 1st, 1949-August 11th, 1959)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #934 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »

Speaking of which:

March 17th, 1949
Court of St. James:

American Ambassador William Westman approaches the court to make a statement.  The statement he had been preparing for over a week on.  A statement, given the day, that he thought would carry a lot of symbolic weight:

"Dear friends of the Court of St. James, and the people of this most beautiful country:

Today is a day that is very dear to millions of us people of Irish descent around the world.  Today is St. Patrick's Day.  The day we celebrate when the Saint Patrick, a man of Christian faith and of English descent, first came over to our ancestral land and brought with him the wonder of his faith in God to a needy people.
Indisputably, it was the grace, and love, of an Englishman that brought salvation to many Irish.  Back then our people were professed no harm and ill will towards one another.  How the times change.

This century has been a very trying one for people of English and Irish descent.  The cries for an Independent Ireland, one free of British influence or constraint, proved to be winning the day.  Even in the Halls of this Parliament MPs started openly supporting the movement across that short gap of water for a free and sovereign Irish people.  Not only on Irish soil, but on this soil and that huge soil that lay across the Great Atlantic Sea!
Like many struggles, this one suffered from a great lack of understanding and communication.  What started out in the last century as a good hearted debate between parliamentarian moderates shifted into a bloody war between radicals on both sides.  As World War I waged, the elements for liberty, for freedom, for the right of an Irish nation born out of Irish ideals and of Irish strength made an ill advised violent coup in Dublin for control.  A few years later, due to the machinations of Big Mike Collins and other revolutionaries and the fear of international implications on an overextended British Empire, the Free State was declared and then a decade and a half later an all out Republic was born.

I realize, as an American ambassador, my duty is to the relations between the United States of America and to these United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  With that said, I believe that strong goodwill between this British nation and that of the Irish people would go a long way in further establishing a strong solid Atlantic trade between our three nations.  Which is why, being a man of my background, I humbly appeal this court out of faith for my proven truthful character and integrity to consider liberalized trade with their neighbor across the sea.  Millions of Americans, I am fully confident, would be wholeheartedly supportive of such a strong economic union between Great Britain and Ireland that would establish the needed stability of liberal democracies to combat the sacreligious liberty killers of the Communist Bloc nations.

I realize this request may be of great selfishness, and that it might go unfavorably to those of you who tend more nationalistic in your endeavors.  And the great animosities that exist between your state and that of Hibernia in the wake of this great Second World War.  Whatever the case may be, whether you have decide that I shall be gone tomorrow or still here a decade from now, I can at least rest assured that before my fateful end I did all I could to pursue everlasting peace and goodwill between the English and Irish peoples."

Three weeks later, the British Parliament would vote overwhelmingly for a liberalized trade treaty with the Republic of Ireland.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #935 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

In the Clearing
July 8th, 1970
In the surroundings of St. Mary's Lake in Glacier Park:

Scott Westman is hiking through the wilderness of Glacier Park with his dear sister and some of his college friends.  It had been a tough couple months for Scott Westman, having his wife murdered by the Ohio State Guard at Kent State in a protest against President Kennedy's escalation of bombings in Afghanistan, a drastic betrayal of his campaign in 1968 which promised an end to the Persian War.  Meanwhile, many of Westman's fellow Democrats at Stanford assured him that it was just a "temporary" military action, that the President was bidding his time to withdraw forces for a more convenient time.
Scott Westman wondered, what the hell is the difference between President Kennedy and the warmonger predecessor of his?  Hell, Kennedy even signed some gun control legislation......with the help of more than a few Northeast moderate hero Democrats who are so eager to get the statist WASP vote.  Just last week, Missoula state senator Calvin Kreuger came forward with a motion to condemn President Kennedy for "selling out to war profiteers".  Westman immediately sent him a cash donation of $5, because hey money is tight these days.
The motion was overwhelmingly defeated.
This is what happens when you allow elitist intellectuals from Connecticut into the party.
Oh and also, Rhode Island.
Luckily though, I brought my guns on this trip.  So if those bastards feel like coming out here and arresting me again I'll send them six feet under the grave.

Nora walks up to Westman out on a high ridge he's sitting on the edge of.  She sits next to him and pats him on the shoulder.
Nora: Something troubling you Scott?
Westman: Well, it's just all this f***ing bullsh*t lately with the Administration.  It doesn't matter how much sacrifice we put into supporting him he just flips us off.  Robert Kennedy is a fraud of a man, a man who is only consistent in his flip flopping.  Seriously, why haven't I registered Peace and Freedom yet?
Nora: Scott, can't you just enjoy the great outdoors for once?  You know, forget all this nonsense just for this week?  I mean really, you got this one week off and you waste it worrying about government?
Westman: Nora, I got fired.  I have lots of time to worry about other things.  Like how am I going to have a sustainable income.
Nora: Well......you could just do what Uncle Fletch does.
Westman: No.  God no.  I don't want to be dead by the time I'm 28.
Nora: Fletch is like what?  A Dinosaur's age?
Westman: Yes, but that was because of his personality.  I can't afford to do what he does.  I mean, there is just so much risk.  Let's just keep it at that.
Nora reaches into her backpack and pulls out a baggie with some white substance in it.
Westman looks at her, shocked.
Westman: Nora, what the hell?
Nora looks at him with doey eyes.
Nora: Come on big bro, you need to relax.
Westman: And THIS is your idea of relaxing?
Nora: Yes!  Because it works!
Westman: Nora, I don't want to become f***ed up.
Nora: That's not going to happen!  You just need to know your limits man!  Here......
Nora gets out a piece of paper and puts a patch of the substance on it and then pulls out a paper cylinder and hands it to Westman.
Shockingly, to himself, Westman doesn't immediately swipe the setup aside.  Instead, he leans down toward the substance, puts the cylinder in front of his nostril.....and takes a hit.
Immediately, he feels a wave of ecstasy going through his body and brain that seemed to be the equivalent of 30 orgasms.  Any second now he was going to be with the angels.  Any second now his brain would explode and he would be higher than mere mortals.
Any second now, Scott Westman was going to die.

A few seconds later:

Westman:
Hey!  I'm still alive!
Nora laughs.
Nora: Of course you are!  Don't tell me you were one of those squares who always believed that smoking the China would kill you instantly or leave you a mental asylum patient?
Clarton Baines: Hey guys!
Nora: Sh*t!  Give me that!
Nora snatches the bag from Westman and hides it back in her bag.  She and Westman stand up and face Carlton Baines, a Graduate student at Stanford who is pursuing a Masters in some lawyer subject.
Baines: So yeah, I made some Ramen for dinner.  You hungry?
Nora laughs.
Westman: No I'm good Carl.  I'd much prefer going back to me tent to cuddle with me sister in a warm sleeping bag.
Baines laugh.
Nora: NO thanks Carl, I'm not hungry right now.  ANyway, I'm kind of tired as it is, I think I'll probably go back to the tent and just rest.
Westman comes up behind Nora and wraps his arms around her.  He starts kissing her head.
Westman: Isn't she purdy?  Purdy and sweet?
Baines looks at Westman, both with kind of an awkward shock and a bit of good humor.
Baines: Yeah I guess.  Well, rest well, there is a good climb tomorrow.
Westman: N****r please, I've been hiking in this area since I was a young man.  This ain't sh*t!
Baines, having gotten use to Westman's use of ethnic and racial slurs, laughed.
Baines: Get some sleep, youse bog bastard.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #936 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 07:29:59 AM by MechaCajun »

January 19th, 1987
Governor's Mansion
Helena, Montana:

Westman:
Well I must say, I didn't expect to see you down here so soon, friend.
Westman's guest, former Maine Congressman Thad O'Connor, grinned before taking a drink.
O'Connor: Well, I figured with my life right now what's even the point?  I got my ass kicked by a guy named Guy Theissen.
Westman: What the f***?
O'Connor: Yeah I mean really what the hell kind of name is that?
Westman: Must be Greek or something.  How did such a nobody defeat you anyway?
O'Connor puts down his glass and then buries his head in his head.  Sullying the moment, he blurts out:
Defend America, that's how:
Westman looks like he's about to throw up.  He knocks a book off of the table.
Westman: F***ing motherf***ering f***ers driving the f***ing principles out of our motherf***ing party like a bunch of authoritarian sh*theads!  F***!  Sh*tf***!
Herschelwitz snickers.
O'Connor: Oh hi Carl, didn't notice you were here.
Herschelwitz nods.
Herschelwitz: Of course you didn't.  I am Scott Westman's bitch.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Sorry Carl, but I ain't a f****t.
Herschelwitz: With your use of slurs I'm shocked you made it this far.
Westman: I had a bunch of incompetent n****rs as my opposition.  You so surprised?
O'Connor: Haha wow......so verbose aren't you?
Herschelwitz: So. . . . it seems like Caroline has just taken to living in Massachusetts.
Westman: Good for her.  She can have all the ridiculous sex parties she's been secretly fantasizing about for months.  She's probably getting it left and right.  Left and right.  Off of my own money.
O'Connor: Hypocrite.  She wouldn't screw you until you got married.  You, however, were going through librarians, reporters, and family members-
Westman: Watch your f***ing mouth!
O'Connor: like it was going out of style quicker than Zuwo Rope.
Herschelwitz: Future reference Thad, no references to Scott's romantic past with his technical aunts.  Sure, it might've happened, but he's really sensitive about it....given the amount of rumors about him and you know who. . . . .
O'Connor looks over at Herschelwitz who does a motion with his eyebrows.  O'Connor looks at some photos on Westman's desk.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.. . . . . right.
Westman: Bunch of people prefer yelling at or beating the sh*t out of their kids.  Those of us who actually do love our children people act like we're f***ing them.  Bunch of sick bastards the lot of them.  Sick bastards.
Herschelwitz laughs.
Westman: Yeah you would find that funny.
O'Connor laughs.
Westman: So how was my daughter Carl?
Carl Herschelwitz started dating Brea Westman after the two hooked up at the New Years Eve Party at the Governor's Mansion.  The two had not been intimate, but it had turned very serious in the matter of days.
Herschelwitz: Scott shut the hell up.  And don't talk about your daughter like that.
Westman: What the cock cock cock?  You're lucky I don't car-
Herschelwitz: And that's your problem damn it!  You don't care!  You let the women in your life live the way they want to live!  Who cares if they become coke addicts!  Who cares if they are promiscuous!  Who cares about their feelings if you f*** other women!
Westman: Okay goddamn it!  This conversation is getting too personal......and too much lampshading is going on.
O'Connor, who had been burying himself in his drink, speaks up.
O'Connor: So, how's Nora?
Westman: You feeling horny Thad?
O'Connor puts the drink down, and starts whimpering.
O'Connor: No, just lonely!
Westman: What?  Your white n****r neighbors' daughters and sisters not doing it for youse?
O'Connor: No, I just feel so disconnected from life.  I just want to bury myself in drinks and-
Westman: No damn it.  Don't even think about it.  You don't want that sh*t Thad.  You do not want it!
Westman takes a cigar out of his desk and lights it.  He offers one to O'Connor, who refuses.
Herschelwitz looks over at him and throws his hands up.
Herschelwitz: Where's mine?
Westman takes out a cigar from the draw in his desk and throws it over to Herschelwitz.  Herschelwitz misses.
Westman: Haha dumbass.  Anyway, Democrats selling their souls makes me depressed.  I thought you guys were the party of authoritarian elitists, not us.
O'Connor: Hey!  I represented a mostly rural Congressional District!  Besides, who is in the party that has in it's past supported slavery, segregation, and Woodrow Wilson.
Westman: Goddamn it!  You suck!
O'Connor laughs victoriously.

(To be Continued)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #937 on: July 03, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »

Jan 19, 1987
Cont.:

Westman:
So, what're your plans now Thad?
O'Connor: I have no idea.  My own pa kicked me out of his house.  Said I was a good for nothing bum, etc. etc. etc.
Westman: Well, you are 41 years old man.
O'Connor: It's just, I've never really had any exit strategy.
Westman: You're kidding me right?
O'Connor: I mean, I didn't even expect to win that race in 1976 to be honest.  I was shocked to have won the Republican Primary, you know being a poor unemployed son of a former Head of the Maine Democratic Party doesn't really help you you know.
Westman: Yes, neither does having the name "O'Connor".
Herschelwitz chuckles.
O'Connor: Oh quit with that classist bull Scott!  The GOP hasn't been the party of nativism since 1932 just like your party hasn't been the party of Segregation since 1948.
Westman: Meh true.  I was kind of shocked when you won those races I'll be honest.
O'Connor: Hey looks who's talking!
Westman: I guess, anti-war guys had it pretty good back then didn't we?  People were fed up with all the lies, all the deceit, of the establishment.  Democrats and Republicans, both advocating for gun control legislation, against the American right of privacy, uncalled for interventions in Middle Asia, revelations of collusions with the British government to assassinate the Irish leaders.....makes you wonder what the hell was happening with this country.
O'Connor: Those were pretty damning on your party, if the 1974 Congressional Election results are to be believed.  That, or the Public Healthcare Act being forced down our throats.
Westman: In hindsight, that might've been a factor.  I for one still believe that anything less than that is inhuman, but whatever.  I maintain that this Democratic Party has itself to blame for the mess it got in from the mid 70's through today.
O'Connor: Sad thing is, it is still continuing.  The National Democratic Party campaigned on the GOP not being strong enough on "defense" and on strengthening Moynihan's "Defend America Act".  Hell, Theissen even advocated for a return to background checks for Maine gun owners to "prevent possible gun running for domestic terrorists."
Westman: Well to be fair, the Conservative Party here overwhelmingly favors Defend America and has repeatedly criticized me, unanimously, on opposing the Act.  The Republican Party is split, with the Peters part of the party, the stubborn jackasses, calling me a "radical America hater".  However, most Montana Republicans agree with me.  The legacy of Richard Peters has been thoroughly rebuked.
O'Connor: Speaking of Republicans, who are you and Helen doing?
Westman pours himself a glass.
Westman: Oh great.  We won't be able to have any children, given her infertility.  But, things are getting really serious.  She's staying here you know?
O'Connor: Seriously Scott?
Westman: I'm in love with her.
O'Connor facepalms.
O'Connor: Why the hell did you even get married if you were going to fall for a divorced Republican WASP with a barren womb?  Why did you even have children?
Westman: I was horny man.  And, she wouldn't put out unless we got married.  So, I went to Vegas and that's that.
O'Connor: But, when it comes out that you have been having intercourse, and more than just the talking kind, with a Republican Senator.......how the hell are you going to put up with that?!
Westman: I don't know.  I just hope it comes out after the re-election campaign!
O'Connor: Are you sure that this just isn't some phase?  Like, you are just now realizing your ultimate fantasy in possessing a WASP?
Westman laughs.
Westman: I do admit, it was quite an ego boost.  But, Helen, she's just so beautiful and young and caring and-
Herschelwitz: Not Caroline.  YOu know, you would've been so better off if you had just kept seeing that Maria Cantwell girl you hired for like five months or so.  She was pretty sweet Scott.
Westman: No Carl.  Maria has a future in politics beyond state level bullsh*t.  I didn't want to ruin her career over a small fling we had by taking it full time.
Herschelwitz: Have you talked to her lately?
Westman: Oh yes, she's moved to Washington apparently to work for Governor Fitzpatrick.  Another freedom fighter.
O'Connor: Oh yes, the Washington Governor's speech against "Unconstitutional Excesses" was a good template against the Defend America Act.  Still pales in comparison to your own attacks against it.
Westman: Come on man, I wasn't that great at it.
O'Connor: Yes you were!  You are the spiritual leader of this opposition to the Crane Administration and to Daniel Moynihan.  All of those people, who voted against the legislation, cite you, yes you, as inspiration to stand against it.
CNN News comes back on.
CNN:  Good evening, this is CNN News.  Ever since the Montana Governor's declaration to oppose the DAA on the state level by ordering his state's law enforcement agencies to ignore federal decree, there have been more and more public officials condemning the Governor for opposing the Administration at a vital time in our nation's history.
Westman: Actually, I signed my death warrant.
CNN: At the same time though, Governor Westman is seen as a hero to many in this nation.  Throughout the Rocky Mountain West and New England there have been many Americans who have stood by Scott Westman's opposition to the DAA in town halls, in bingo halls, and other places of assembly.
Video cuts to image of a steelworker in a warehouse on a microphone.
Steelworker: I've had enough of sacrificing our liberties, just for the sake of feeling safer!  None of these politicians care, care about us losing our rights to defend ourselves or our right to privacy!  First they attack our guns, then they attack our right to speech, and now they attack our privacy!  No more says I!  No more!
CNN: There have been a number of groups in this country who have called upon the Montana Governor to run for the Democratic nomination for President.  Scott Westman has yet to reply to questions about his intent to run.
Westman turns off the tv.
Westman: F*** that.  I'm not presidential material.
O'Connor: The people here though, they love despite of your flaws.
Westman: Doesn't matter what Montana thinks of me Thad.  You think that somebody who advocated a radical green energy program and publicly opposed a member of his own party is going anywhere in the primaries?  You're wrong man.  We have too many blue collar traditional energy advocates in the party for me to be remotely effective.  Appalachian voters would probably vote 90% against me.
O'Connor: Who cares about a bunch of retards?
Westman: Do you think my staunch anti-gun control views would work well in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island?
O'Connor: No, but it would help you in Vermont.
Westman: I'm not running for President!  Anyway, how long do you plan on staying Thad?
O'Connor: Wow, looks like you got a full house.  Uh well I was thinking maybe a week or so-
Westman: You need a longer break than that man.  How about June?
O'Connor's eyes explode.
O'Connor: Scott, really I should get back to Maine and look for a new job-
Westman: No no no, you really shouldn't.  You need to move into my Flathead Lake house-
O'Connor: If you really call it that-
Westman shrugs, nobody likes it.
Westman: My Flathead Lake dwelling place, stay here for several months to get your head clear.  Drink lots of real beer, smoke some dope, and have lots of sex.
O'Connor: I'm not really a sexual person to begin with.
Westman throws over one of his contact lists to O'Connor.
Westman: Nora's number is in there.  She's always had a thing for you Thad.  You two could really hit it off and actually have a stable relationship.
Thad was honestly tempted at the prospect of being with Nora Westman again.  Although Nora was a sex fiend with a cocaine habit, she was a very sweet girl.
Thad takes the contact list as Westman slides a key towards him.
Westman: Trust me man, you need this break.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #938 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »

What's been going on with the Crane Administration lately besides the DAA?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #939 on: July 03, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »

What's been going on with the Crane Administration lately besides the DAA?

There is an oil crisis in the Middle East that has been affecting oil prices back in the states.  The debate on whether to explore energy back at home or not to is splitting the two big parties.  A lot of Democrats still represent blue collar energy interests.  Particularly in the South and Appalachia.  They have formed a coalition with some oil industry Republicans to advocate opening up drilling in Alaska and the Dakotas to stave off the rise in gas prices at this critical time.  Conservatives are all up in arms over the rise and also advocate some home energy exploration.
There is a niche group of Democrats, Republicans, and third party politicians who are advocating this as a time to make some investment in green energy that is more cost effective than traditional fuels.  However, it would cost about $35 billion to explore such options and with the gross public debt at $720 billion (a record), many are wary of exploring such an option.  Some have criticized such opposition to green energy by pointing out that in Montana Governor Scott Westman has a blueprint on green energy that would actually earn his state revenue by implementing the expensive "Green Montana" bill.

The debt is another issue.
Although it is lower than it was IRL, the debt is considered astronomically high in this timeline.  Blame for this has gone around everywhere.  Those on the right blame Crane for not being strong enough on cutting the PHS (Public Health System) to make real meaningful cuts (a point countered by the left in that the PHS has it's own fund and it's own tax separate from the normal "income tax") and not attacking entitlements enough (though Crane has been arguably "the most effective" conservative President America could've had post-FDR).  The Left argue that the Crane Administration's radical cuts to income taxes on the wealthiest has resulted in a net loss for federal revenues that was exacerbated by the implementation of the nation's first flat income tax (which was met by large riots in many cities).  Arguably, the Flat Tax was one of many factors in the Democratic landslide of 1986.  Every Democratic Senator and all but one House member (JR Walkings from OK District 3) have pledged to overturn the Flat Tax.  However, a presidential veto is almost certain if they try it, given that Democratic Representation is 55% at the very most in the Senate.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Although the parties seem to agree more than disagree on foreign policy and even social policy, ultimately they are at war over economics.  Democrats have come out HARD lately on social justice, signaling that they are now embracing themselves as the party of the economic left.  Many blue collar whites, who had jumped ship to the Crane Coalition in the 1980 and 1984 elections, are coming back to the Democrats in the wake of 9/6 and the Flat Tax Act of 1986.  There are a few on the Crane side that fear that November 1988 will be a decisive return for the Democratic Party UNLESS there is some major improvements in America's foreign policy arena.

That's it for now, if I think of anything more I'll post it here.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #940 on: July 03, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »

Looking to see if Republicans can gain some ground as the Conservatives are devoured by their own quicksand.

How would Westman feel if he found out his sister was dating with her (albeit bazillionth removed) cousin? Tongue

Though given his past indiscretions...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #941 on: July 05, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »

Looking to see if Republicans can gain some ground as the Conservatives are devoured by their own quicksand.
That would be interesting.  Though, it should be noted that the Republicans were the biggest party UNTIL 1987.  Hell, a lot of Crane's support has come from conservative and pragmatic moderate Republicans, as there are actually more of them than there are actual Conservative Party members.

How would Westman feel if he found out his sister was dating with her (albeit bazillionth removed) cousin? Tongue

Though given his past indiscretions...

Probably a bit of jealousy. . . . .
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #942 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:33 AM »

I don't think it's been covered recently, so I'll ask... How are the Presidential primaries shaping up?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #943 on: July 06, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »

I don't think it's been covered recently, so I'll ask... How are the Presidential primaries shaping up?

Not a lot at this stage.

On the Democratic side, rumors of another run by primary runner up Stephen Smith (recently retired New York Governor) were dispelled when he announced in mid 1985 that he "has done all he can for his state and for the country."  Since 9/6 his name has been replaced by that of another New Yorker, US Senator Daniel Moynihan, whose political profile has exploded since he proposed the Defend America Act, which passed the a strong majority of votes in the US Senate and the US House.  While Moynihan hasn't declared any interest in running as of yet, many in the Democratic establishment are floating his name as a likely Presidential nominee come 1988.  He is viewed by many analysts as the strongest Democratic figure due to his hawkish foreign policy views that have made him look like "the man" on the war against whoever did 9/6.

Western Democrats, however, are not pleased with this prospect.

Of note, Senior Interior Committee member Senator Morris "Mo" Udall of Arizona has expressed a lot of concern since the passage of the DAA about the Democratic Party becoming the "not as pro-Crane" Party next to the Republican Party.  Udall, who voted against the DAA, is being floated around as a possible anti-Moynihan candidate if Moynihan decides to run.  With the support of youthful liberals such as Scott Westman of Montana and Larry Watson of Pennsylvania an Udall run would amp up support amongst young college aged students and other similar demographics for the Democrats in 1988.

"There is a clear and evident trend, a very dangerous one, towards the elements of statist consequences.  If this Act is passed, I would strongly recommend limits on the scope of it and a sunset clause."-Morris Udall.

On the Republican side there is a lot of quiet, though there is speculation that GOP leaders have been negotiating with Conservative Party leaders to run a "unity" ticket to combat the increase in prominence of the Democrats evident in the landslides of 1986.  Many Republicans, feeling that the moderate brand of Republicanism was throughly rebuked in 1980 and 1984, point to an alliance with Conservative voters to be in their best interests for future success.  A few Republican names that have been floated around have been Senator Robert Dole, Attorney General Jay Rockefeller, Vice President Ray Hutchison, Former Vice President George HW Bush, and Oklahoma US Senator Frank Keating as possible Presidential nominees on a "unity" ticket.  The Conservative Party is a bit quieter, as many feel that Crane's act can not be followed up on and there is no heir apparent to his legacy.  So far, the only prominent figures in the party that show real potential for a Presidential run are US Secretary of State William Buckley, Jr., Ohio Congressman John Ashbrook, and UN Ambassador Phyllis Schlafly.

THat's what I got for the Primary news so far.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #944 on: July 06, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »

I'm actually planning for Moynihan '88 in one of my tls.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #945 on: July 06, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2012, 04:16:39 PM by MechaCajun »

Watson Nation
Time Magazine Second Week January 1987
By Robert Keurig:

As many have already been aware, the election of Larry Watson in 1980 to the US Senate in a most anti-Democratic year is certainly considered one of the greatest upsets in election history.  A brutal Democratic primary between the bosses of Pittsburgh, a long and bruising general campaign, a naturally anti-Democratic state (which barely voted a Democrat into the Senate at the midst of the Great Depression, twice), and an initial projected victory for opponent Arlen Specter, it had seemed all but lost.  However, the revelation of a thousand uncounted votes, most of which were in coal mine country, led to the election recount of a decade that would result in the very unlikely victory of the personable "Man of Steel" from Pittsburgh.
The election of Larry Watson was a shock to many Republicans, who had given minimalist funding to the Specter campaign, assuming an easy GOP win.  Meanwhile, Larry Watson had been given money from every Democrat and their grandmother in his uphill battle against the Penn State GOP.  Every section of the party, conservatives, liberals, progressives, western libertarians, and especially city and labor bosses were all going all out to gather funds for Watson's seemingly improbable victory against a near invincible Republican machinery in a Republican year in a Republican, somehow hoping against hope that the Democrats would win a Senate seat in a state they hadn't won a seat in since 1944.
They might as well have tried winning a race in Vermont (which would be accomplished by Roger Braddock just two years later, but with a much more favorable environment than Watson had).
However, this story, the story of Watson's unlikely 1980 promotion to the US Senate, isn't the story we will cover today.  For that story has been told countless times by this magazine and others.  Instead, what we will talk about is an even more amazing story, the 1986 landslide re-election of the Senate's Left Wing Lion to the Keystone State.  An election victory, in spite of almost a full year of nasty campaigning from a desperate state GOP, that cemented Lawrence Watson as the Great Democratic Hope in the former Republican state of Pennsylvania.
60.87%.  This is a voting percentage reserved for people named Scranton and Schweiker, not a Watson.  Not a former linebacker for Pennsylvania State University son of a retired US Army Colonel with connections to the most socialist unions in the nation whose ending GPA is more fitting for a long term career as an underpaid history teacher at an underfunded public school in the "T" than be a public representative.
Yet, this kid somehow not only won re-election, he did so while also humiliating a long established GOP machine.  The decisive election results have pointed to a change in the seas in the Keystone State, indications that the state is drifting towards the Red Sea after years of being a state of Blue.  This trend has been going on for some time, as in 1984 Penn State was one of a few states to vote for Democratic candidate Fred Harris.
Also, in 1984 Larry Watson toured the Keystone State enthusiastically campaigning for Harris and for Union Rights.  The victory margins (over 13%) suggest that maybe the young Senator's stops had some effect as to how a number of people voted.
It is quite clear, with the rise and prominence of Phil Crane and his Conservatives, that the Keystone has graviated towards a new kind of leadership quite different from the moderate Republicanism of the past.  In the place of Scranton pragmatism and moderate union Republicans there is the rise of a New Left dominance in Keystone politics.  And Larry Watson is the team captain.

To be continued.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #946 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

Watson Nation
Time Magazine Second Week January 1987
Cont.Sad

After a particularly vile campaign against the Senator's wife, Larry Watson managed to rally the troops together in the wake of tragedy and a coma to win a decisive popular victory.
With his strong re-election success, however, comes speculation that Larry Watson, one who is known to get into each successive office as young as possible, might try to break the record for Youngest Person to Become President, set by then Illinois Senator Charles Percy at age 41 after being sworn into office in January of 1961.  If Larry Watson were to become president he would be the youngest to ever have done so at a few weeks past his 38th birthday.
There are many out there who insist that Larry Watson will not attempt a run for Presidential office come 1988.  After all, they argue, the Senator is too young and inexperienced to make a run.  With many veteran Democrats possibly making a run in '88, a list including Watson's mentor Senator Morris "Mo" Udall and his close friend Montana Governor Scott Westman, the pressure may be on Watson to support a candidate rather than make a run on his own.
Although the arguments of experience, legislative accomplishments, and foreign policy successes are his weak point Watson supporters take refuge in the Senator's ability to rally dissident groups in the party.  Namely, Watson is perhaps the only Democrat who has come across as both pro-defense and anti-DAA (though he wasn't present for the vote) and have a wide support from both labor Democrats and more civil libertarian intellectuals.
Watson's two likely Presidential buddies, Morris Udall and Scott Westman, have problems scoring with the latter due to a perception of being "radical".  Likewise, staunch hawkish Democrats like New York Senator Daniel Moynihan and Texas Governor Randle Delaney have problems arousing the passions of the former in their favor due to a strong principled opposition to the DAA from Western libertarians and liberal intellectuals in New England.  As "premature" as it may be to nominate the "Kid Senator", he may be the best hope that Democrats have to rally the bases of their party for 1988.
Or possibly risk falling into the same trap as the GOP did in 1980 and splinter apart into various factions vying for election.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #947 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »

"Though people rant and rave about how important Senators are and how much they change the process and how much cooler it makes people, I found my time in the US Senate to make me the least effective.  Sure, you could argue that I got landmark bills passed, including liberal environmental and drug reform laws, in the midst of the Crane Revolution.  There is no denying that.
However, my time in the US Senate will ultimately be remembered for the Economic Recovery Act of 1981, which only encouraged a wave of pro-rich anti-poor tax laws to come forth from the Congress.  If I had known that my legislation would only enable right wingers and reactionaries to push forth the regressive national flat tax, I would've burnt it in a fire next to Flathead Lake rather than rape the American working class.
The rich control everything in this country and no matter how high the "income tax" is inequality will never be fixed.  Instead, a tax on the unimproved value of land would prove a much more effective means of lowering the inequality gap, while providing a fiscally strong means of government revenue.  This is only something I found out in my experience as Governor.
After all, when you are in direct charge of governing an entire state it is easier to be confronted about issues on fiscal problems, human welfare, the environment, law and order, and pretty much everything else.  Being a legislator is an overrated field that removes one away from all people, save the Special Interest Mafia.
Which was why I so desperately wanted to get out of there."

Scott Westman
Governor's Journal
October 29th, 1988
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #948 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »

January 12th, 1987
Governor Office:

Westman is looking at some portfolios on his desk.
Westman: Most fascinating.
Herschelwitz: Indeed.  So, who should we support?
Westman gives him a bewildered look.
Westman: The Democrat, duh!  This isn't exactly Trivial Pursuit Carl.
Herschelwitz: Yes, but maybe we could look into supporting the Republicans this time....
Westman: And open myself up to accusations of being a party traitor?
Herschelwitz: Says the only Democratic candidate for Governor to ever have a Republican run with him on a gubernatorial ticket......
Westman: That was different.  This situation is quite clear: a Democrat vs. a Republican vs. a Conservative.  One on one on one.  Party vs. Party vs. Party.  And you hint that I should support somebody else than Mansfield and thus risk myself to bitter vendettas from fellow Democrats by giving them enough ammunition to either destroy me in the Gubernatorial Primaries, in the Gubernatorial Election or in 1992!  I got enough sh*t as it is with the press and moralist attacking me for my unstable marriage and rumors that I sired one of the Watson boys-
Herschelwitz: But you did, didn't you?
Westman pounds his fist on the table.
Westman: Now is not the time damn it.  Right now I'm thinking solely long term here.  Sure, I can't stand David Mansfield.  In fact I can't stand his whole Mansfielding family to be honest.  They are from a bygone era of labor fanatics and religious choir boys.  And David Mansfield would win even if I endorsed another candidate....
Herschelwitz: What makes you say that?  Up to a few days before the elections we were set to lose the State Senate and maybe even the State House!  Yet, somehow you survived it!
Westman: That's different Carl.  My brand of liberalism is a bit unpopular next to Mansfield Liberalism.  He's the type of Democrats who would win in a landslide in a seat for the US Senate, given the environment.  I'm not sure if you're aware, but the party gained 18 US Senate seats in November-
Herschelwitz: Yes yes I know!  However, I believe the Republican candidate would be more favorable to our agenda.  I mean, Mansfield has gone out of his way to bash your agenda-
Westman: I make abortion illegal and this is how "labor Democrats" thank me?!  Goddamn it, you can never make them happy.
Herschelwitz: It's more than abortion mind you.  In fact, abortion is the one issue that probably keeps a lot of labor Democrats from hating you.  For one, Mansfield and his ilk don't like the fact that you are pushing Green Montana.  They view it as a threat to the jobs of their labor base.
Westman: Last time I checked Carl, I had the Speaker of the House, the Senate Leader, and about 70% of our party caucus in line to support it in the House and nearly 90% in the Senate.  Where's the problem?
Herschelwitz: The problem is that there is a difference between the House and the Senate.  Sure, the State Senate are like our best friends.  A lot of the Senators in office arose in opposition to Richard Peters and even before that weren't the biggest fans of the Reagan Administration.  In short, the Montana Democratic Senators are exactly the type who would line up with us out of spite of who came before.  And, perhaps to our great advantage, the population of Butte has gone down quite a bit in the past decades.  It is also quite telling that only one of the Butte Senators opposes Green Montana.  There might be hope after all.
Westman: And the House?  What makes them so different?
Herschelwitz: You forget that the population has exploded in the past few decades.  A lot of that was in the western part of the state amongst war veterans and the like.  As well as the Electronics Generation.  Folks in the Flathead Lake region overwhelmingly support you, however folks in the so-called "Catholic Triangle" aren't so happy about you.  I'm talking about guys like Frank Horrigan and Freddy Doheny.  Labor guys.  The House has a number of these people in it.  Hell, that 30% could be all labor representatives and there probably is more of them out there.  Count your lucky stars.  We need Republican help on this.
Westman: Yes Carl, but I don't see how casting my vote for the GOP helps me in the long term.  I mean really, Democrats who already don't like me will have even less reason to if I endorse the GOP in this race.
Herschelwitz picks up a photograph of Caroline Westman and shows it to Westman.
Herschelwitz: This isn't about politics Scott.  This is about you.  Do you want to save your marriage?  Well then, I would do everything I could to get Helen Brisco in the US Senate.  F*** the GOP, f*** em.  Don't even think about the Republicans.  Don't even take party affiliation into consideration.  This woman is dangerous to your marriage.  She is toxic.  Get her into Washington so she can be as far away from you as possible.
Westman laughs.
Westman: My friend, getting my booty call elected US Senator is perhaps the most insane idea you ever proposed.  What you propose is taking something that at this moment is mostly at the rumor stage on the state level and blowing it up into possibly a scandal on the national level.  I come out in favor of Helen Brisco it's only going to amplify the suggestions even further.  She needs to lose, both for me personally and me politically.  And.....I guess I need to make a choice.
Westman picks up his wedding ring and puts it back on his ring finger.
Westman: I will end this.  Also, David Mansfield is still getting my endorsement.
Herschelwitz shrugs.
Herschelwitz: OKay.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #949 on: July 11, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2012, 11:33:13 AM by James Badass Monroe »

A Look Back, the 1964 Presidential Election

Review by Thomas E. James (1984)Sad

An error most often made by history books is on the 1964 Presidential Election that views it mainly as a debate over Civil Rights and labels the Democratic Party as the more "conservative" party and the Republican party as the more "liberal" party.  The truth is, nothing could be farther from the truth.
The Democratic ticket of 1964 DID protest the then Affirmative Action law for being race based.  That is true.  What is also true is that the Democrats of 1964 opposed it because it left out the issue of poverty and income levels and focused exclusively on the racial dynamics.  In truth, the Democratic Party's stance in 1964 was well to the left of the Republicans, who saw Affirmative Action as purely a means to advance minority representation in jobs.
This misrepresentation isn't merely limited to the books, as the actual elections results show the Democrats overwhelmingly winning many Southern states (most likely under the impression that Democrats opposed AA programs as a whole) and Republicans winning a number of "labor belt" states and white liberal areas overwhelmingly.  Election results in Massachusetts and Montana, however, give credence to the view that a number of voters did see Democrats as being in favor of economically based Affirmative Action and not against the concept of it as a whole.
Meanwhile, the Morton Administration was able to portray the Democrats as using the "class based" as a code based racist argument.  The Democrats, likewise, portrayed the Republicans as using the "race card" to hide their "poor killing" agenda.  It is often remembered as one of the ugliest elections in modern history, for good reason.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies