Small Towns (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:46:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Small Towns (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Small Towns  (Read 1768 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »

Small towns tend to have less crime.

*Awaits BRTD*
Tend being the proper word here.  The town of ~700 residents 10 miles east of here has a higher murder and violent crime rate than even "Murderapolis" in its crime heyday of around 1990-1995.

But that's what happens when you mix meth, gangs, and other drugs with old, decrepit federal tract housing on an Indian Reservation.  I can't remember of it's Tract 28 or Tract 33 that are the worst.. but a woman I know came home a couple months ago to a crime scene in her front yard where a man taking his young daughter for a walk had been shot in the back by some gang members that drove by.

Of course someone like BRTD has never heard about this because Minnesota ends at Brainerd in the Twin Cities.  To them, Bemidji is some town in Canada.

Uh, I'm from North Dakota. I'm quite familiar with northern Minnesota.

I lived the first 9 years of my life in a small town that no doubt had a higher per capita crime rate than my current Minneapolis neighborhood.

As for their quality, depends on a lot of factors. They aren't so bad in high school though I understand the desire to leave. But I'd much rather grow up and go to high school in a place like Albert Lea, MN than the Twin Cities suburbs. I wouldn't consider Bismarck a small town but in high school it was quite easy to get away with stuff I know I wouldn't in some rich suburb down here. Remember my report about my relatively lax high school.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:59:53 PM »

I've always wanted to visit some small towns out west to see what it's like.

Just go rent Gummo.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »

On Saturday I was in a town of 3,500 people. I like little places like that. They all have their unique characteristics and people.

I grew up in a town of 3,000 people Sad

It has declined in population since the 1900's when it had around 3,200

I can trump that, hahaha.

So can I. I first lived in a town with a population of around 200, but that actually included only the town proper and not a nearby area where most people lived. However even with that it couldn't be over a thousand, even the county only had 4000 people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »

Chapel Hill isn't a small town.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length