Supreme Court Ruling: Fritz vs. Ernest (MAJOR CONSTITUTIONAL DECISION!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:08:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Supreme Court Ruling: Fritz vs. Ernest (MAJOR CONSTITUTIONAL DECISION!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Ruling: Fritz vs. Ernest (MAJOR CONSTITUTIONAL DECISION!)  (Read 5151 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 02:04:11 AM »

Well, since you put it that way...

Article I, Section 5, Clause 5. The Senate may pass a bill for the purpose of making laws, or a resolution for the purpose of declaring war, a majority of the Senators voting concurring. But all such bills and resolutions shall first be submitted to the President before taking effect; and the President may either declare his or her approval or veto it. If the President approves, or if he or she neither approves nor vetoes the bill or resolution within seven days, the bill or resolution shall take effect. But if he or she shall veto it, the bill or resolution shall be of no effect unless the Senate shall vote, two-thirds of the Senators concurring, to override the President's veto.

Doesn't that explicitly give the Senate power to make laws?Huh

Yes, they can pass laws.  But the only powers spelled out refer to electoral matters.  This means that they have the power to pass laws only with regard to electoral matters. 
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 02:18:29 AM »

So the Senate can pass laws, but the laws are only suggestions and don't mean anything.

I continue to disagree.  Your ruling is a stretch.

I just hope the Senate corrects the mess made by the Court quickly.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2004, 02:55:42 AM »

Considering this is fantasy ELECTIONS, there shouldn't be any other laws, other than election laws.  That's my personal feelings on laws passed by the Congress.

Well, the laws are fantasy laws in a fantasy government, and mean nothing in the real world.  I'll agree with that.  But the court has ruled that one fantasy government official- a Governor- can override/nullify fantasy laws in his section of the fantasy government.  That is what I take issue with.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2004, 02:12:46 PM »

Considering this is fantasy ELECTIONS, there shouldn't be any other laws, other than election laws.  That's my personal feelings on laws passed by the Congress.

Well, the laws are fantasy laws in a fantasy government, and mean nothing in the real world.  I'll agree with that.  But the court has ruled that one fantasy government official- a Governor- can override/nullify fantasy laws in his section of the fantasy government.  That is what I take issue with.

Well if you were to read the U.S. Constitution, you will see that it says that a state cannot override federal law. The Atlas Constitution says nothing of the sort in regard to regions, and as KEmperor said,

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."
Niles Caulder

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

I have to say, I feel partially responsible for this fiasco.  We obviously never intended the CLA to create a constitutional crisis--but I just didn't think the Supreme Court would need an explicit restraint of the real Article Six to effectively govern in stability.

But this is healthy in the final analysis: we get to live first hand a little of the Founders' wisdom bit by bit as we knock ourselves about like a pinball trying to reproduce their accomplishment.  The great thing is that, like the founding fathers, we afforded ourselves the humility and luxury of a learning curve, and can express it through the ammendment process.

Needless to say, Caulder Consultancies endorces the proposed ammendments authored by AG-Nominee Bell.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2004, 03:03:23 PM »

Whereas the Senate is currently considering amendments to the Constitution which will render this ruling moot, I ask the Court to renew its ban upon any executions being carried out in the Southeast region.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2004, 03:36:37 PM »

Whereas the Senate is currently considering amendments to the Constitution which will render this ruling moot, I ask the Court to renew its ban upon any executions being carried out in the Southeast region.

Having reviewed all the proposed amendments to the Constitution currently under consideration by the Senate, I see no power to legislate with regard to Regional criminal justice in any of the proposed amendments.  Therefore, unless the Senate passes a constitutional amendment concerning this, the decision that the Senate has no power to regulate captial punishment in the Regions stands.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2004, 05:52:50 PM »

I urge the Senate to address this issue in the amendment it passes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies