General Senatorial Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:47:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senatorial Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: General Senatorial Discussion  (Read 26854 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »

This is a thread for Senators to discuss the workings of the Senate, propose ideas for legislation, and to make speeches on any topic they desire.

Non-Senators, please limit your discussion in this thread. If you have words to say about specific legislation, please post it in that bill's specific thread or in the Protest and Analysis thread. If you have a question for a specific Senator, please post it in their office or send a PM. If you would like to make a general rant, make a thread in the Fantasy Elections forum or start a newspaper or something and put it there. If you would like to freely post in this thread, get elected to the Senate first- it's not too hard, even Naso managed to do it once. Basically, if you're not in the Senate, only post here if a Senator specifically asks a question to the public and you have something constructive to say, or if you are specifically invited to speak by a Senator. That is all.

Kudos to Bullmoose for the idea.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »

There's been more discussion and debate in the Senate in the last few days so naturally we need to immediately contain it to prevent such silly outbreaks in the future.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »

We have currently at any one time at least three threads if not more depending on what is on the floor that together deal with everything that this will be intended for. And due to the restrictions on who and what is to be said and the fact that so few in the current Senate like to talk, that little use will be made of this thread. No offense to Bullmoose, it is indeed a fine idea and few months ago it would have probably had some purpose but presently I don't see it. Now that is not to say that need shall not arise in the future, it does say that it is not presently here.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »

We have currently at any one time at least three threads if not more depending on what is on the floor that together deal with everything that this will be intended for. And due to the restrictions on who and what is to be said and the fact that so few in the current Senate like to talk, that little use will be made of this thread. No offense to Bullmoose, it is indeed a fine idea and few months ago it would have probably had some purpose but presently I don't see it. Now that is not to say that need shall not arise in the future, it does say that it is not presently here.

I think it's a nice thing to have. You note there are three different threads that serve this purpose, but isn't it a good idea to have a single thread that covers all those topics? Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »

I'm on vacation until Monday. Yankee, can you run the senate for me? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »

Not much to worry about, this thing practically runs itself.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »

Not much to worry about, this thing practically runs itself.

Tongue

I'm back, by the way, if ya didn't realize.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »

Just some notes here regarding the transition tomorrow.

The bills on the floor can stay on the floor without needing to be resubmitted, per Article 10 of the current OSPR. Note that if a vote is occuring in one of these bills on the floor at the time of transition, Franzl and dallasfan65 would be able to replace the vote of their respective predecessors.

Also, I cease being President Pro Tempore at noon tomorrow, though I would like to run for reelection Smiley . Note that this resolution has been passed by the Senate but hasn't been added to the Wiki yet. Basically, Marokai, as the new President of the Senate it is your responsibility to preside over the Senate for the next few days at least, which will include managing the current bills on the floor, having PPT elections, and posting the confirmation threads and such. After a new PPT is elected you can defer to him to run the Senate by way of OSPR Article II, Section 2.1.f, if you don't want to manage us personally. Also, friendly reminder, note that if you don't do anything in the Senate by noon on Wednesday (that is, five days), then NCYankee as Dean becomes the Senate's presiding officer per OSPR II 3.ii, until a PPT is elected.

Also, if you really don't want to deal with any of the Senate, you can just defer to the "PPT" immediately, which would let Yankee run things per OSPR II 2.3 since the PPT office would be technically vacant.

Actually, thinking about it, if you just don't even do any of the required "start of the session" stuff, Yankee can just go ahead and do it, per OSPR II.2.1.c, since without a PPT it all is your sepecific responsibility, whether implicitly or explicitly.

But yeah. Not saying Marokai will be ignoring the Senate or anything, just posting all relevant transition rules here in one place should they be needed. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »

Thanks for posting the info of course, because it's handy having procedure like that out in the open, but I should be able to, barring some huge disaster, get things off the ground. I've ran a few things around these parts before, afterall. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »

Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »

I'm on a family vacation this weekend and will have limited Internet access, so in case I miss the PPT declaration thread, I HEREBY DECLARE THAT I AM RUNNING FOR PPT Smiley   
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »

I'm on a family vacation this weekend and will have limited Internet access, so in case I miss the PPT declaration thread, I HEREBY DECLARE THAT I AM RUNNING FOR PPT Smiley   

I don't think you can do that. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »

No worries. If this doesn't count, I'll nominate BK when the thread opens.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »

No worries. If this doesn't count, I'll nominate BK when the thread opens.

But he has to accept it. Tongue

Now I know why Fritz enjoyed this so much. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The intent of the declaration thread is clear and no other provision for announcing candidates in some other place or by some other means. If you nominate someone else he/she has to accept it (which would be the equivalent of announcing the candidacy).

My god I am going to miss being this annoying when...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »

Technically it says the thread is there for Senators to declare their candidacy, not that they're entirely unable to declare elsewhere. Tongue it's the only place that Senators can announce their candidacy and the Presiding Officer of the Senate is obligated to put them on the ballot; nothing would prevent Marokai from noting my nomination after seeing this. It's Marokai's call, of course, but I hope he does put me on the ballot given the circumstances Smiley

Still, to prevent controversy, I'll try my best to get somewhere with cellphone service over the next day or two to officially declare my candidacy "properly" Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

Well we could just open the thread right now, but there is the little problem of Marokai Blue. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »

Okay everyone, I'll be mostly gone from now till Monday.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2010, 06:35:14 PM by Give-em Hell Yankee!!! »

Okay everyone, I'll be mostly gone from now till Monday.

Have a nice time.

Come to think of it, after tonight, I will likely be gone till Monday as well.

Edit: Or so I thought. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »

A couple of things.

One, I'd like to give accolades to Libertas; over the past month I've been genuinely surprised by the dedication he's given this office, his ability to work with other Senators, and the new and innovative ideas he brings forth to discussion. I hope Libertas does not take this as an insult, but he has definitely shown much more zeal for this office than I was expecting of him. Smiley

Two, if other Senators could formally propose the rest of the Executive Branch's legislative agenda two or three bills at a time, to prevent the Anti-Clogging Statutes from coming into effect, that would be awesome.

Three, it's good to see the Senate busier again in general. Good work everyone.

edit- also, thanks again for the reelection as PPT. As always, I'd appreciate any commentary into how I could improve.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:35 AM »

A couple of things.

One, I'd like to give accolades to Libertas; over the past month I've been genuinely surprised by the dedication he's given this office, his ability to work with other Senators, and the new and innovative ideas he brings forth to discussion. I hope Libertas does not take this as an insult, but he has definitely shown much more zeal for this office than I was expecting of him. Smiley

Why thank you. I try.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:44 AM »

Credit should be given when it is due...I agree with BK Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »

Blegh, please, both of you.

Libertas has had some halfway decent bills but his attitude towards debate is deplorable and after spending days causing countless trouble and arguments toward at least two appointees acting completely ridiculous he came around and voted Aye, which is an action that completely contradicts everything he said up until that point, and only did so because it was abundantly clear the nominees would not be stopped and he didn't want to seem like a constant obstructionist.

I'm not saying these things to bash Libertas or start any argument (and indeed, I barely pay attention to this thread) but get ahold of yourselves.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »

A couple of things.

Two, if other Senators could formally propose the rest of the Executive Branch's legislative agenda two or three bills at a time, to prevent the Anti-Clogging Statutes from coming into effect, that would be awesome.
Three, it's good to see the Senate busier again in general. Good work everyone.

edit- also, thanks again for the reelection as PPT. As always, I'd appreciate any commentary into how I could improve.

Could you give us an update on this situation because right now you will have to pull some bills unless someone assumes sponsorship of them.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »

Libertas' robust questioning of the Cabinet nominees was welcomed and I appreciate his decision to vote in favor of their confirmations.

I look forward to a strong working relationship between the Senate and my administration and I do urge each of you to shoot me a PM every so often to rip me a new one on something or other. I find one-on-one discussions to be of special value in this game, especially in private, beyond the lights of public posturing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies