General Senatorial Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:27:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  General Senatorial Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General Senatorial Discussion  (Read 27109 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »

We could still have such a bill  though, only it would not contain the language referring to a higher power.  Since the Repeal of the Privacy Protection Act creates the false impression that there is no problem with publishing PMs, I believe this would be a good idea.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »

I will oppose any such attempt to restore the Privacy Protection Act. We have more to worry about then false impressions, and I think a better way can be found to combat such ignorance then restoring a flawed and potentially unconstitutional law.

I would be very much interested in what can be done to combat such ignorance. Yankee? Kalwejt?
Franzl?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »

I will oppose any such attempt to restore the Privacy Protection Act. We have more to worry about then false impressions, and I think a better way can be found to combat such ignorance then restoring a flawed and potentially unconstitutional law.

I would be very much interested in what can be done to combat such ignorance. Yankee? Kalwejt?
Franzl?

What about a confidentiality of private conversation?

what is that?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

Since the abominable Snowman introduced the keeping of the exact times at which voting, debate, amendments etc stopped and started, I have decided to preserve this. However since it was started in January it has never been in place at a time in which Daylight Savings Time would impact it. So should I ignore it or try to incorporate it in somehow?

I suggest just recording it in EST. That is default forum display time anyway I believe. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »

is the slot that was being used for Rowan's Libya bill going to be used for Ben/HW's Libya bill?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »

also, I thought Kalwejt withdrew his deregistration bill?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »

is the slot that was being used for Rowan's Libya bill going to be used for Ben/HW's Libya bill?

I am going to keep the PPT Discretion slot opened for Libya, yes.

now I can't help but wonder if we are not going to see a Libyan bill introduced but instead the direct executive action we are now witnessing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »

now I can't help but wonder if we are not going to see a Libyan bill introduced but instead the direct executive action we are now witnessing.

HappyWarrior just introduced a bill that directly impacts Libya.

please tell me you are joking and that you were actually paying attention when we tabled the Protect Libyan Citizens act because we thought some better bill was in the works.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »

is it possible to change the name of a bill already on the floor?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »

I think when questioning several nominees at a time and oftentimes waiting a day or two to hear back from them, 72 hours isn't long enough.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »

I was under the impression that the injunction was only for nominees who didn't show up at all for answering questions, but reading the OSPR it doesn't say that, just "if needed."  I still think that nominations are important enough that as a general matter that trying to get meaningful questions and debate on several nominees in just 72 hours is a bit short.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »

maybe we should consider another change to the OSPR to deal with when the sponsor of a bill doesn't show up to say whether an amendment is friendly or hostile. seems like this has happened a few times and really slowed things down.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:58:23 AM »

It would be nice to actually have some discussion of bills before we vote on them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

It would be nice to actually have some discussion of bills before we vote on them.

Discussion besides giving a simple opinion helps. At least you and a couple others are capable Wink.
true. but kind of hard when cloture is bypassed and the vote starts before there's any chance.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »

I believe the process of the massive OSPR amendment was a mistake. There was a fundamental change that was the cornerstone of the bill, but there was a constant barrage of amendments that were basically formalizing things already in effect. I admit I got lost in it and forgot about the first issue taken up in the bill as the other issues were discussed. When the time came for the final vote, I loooked over it again and worried that it would allow complex bills to be pushed through in 24 hours without debate, and it seems that fear was warranted.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:04 AM »

I don't know what this generic right v left ocntroversy is but it bores me so I'll just ignore it. I simply don't believe 24 hours is enough time to spend considering a bill. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that everyone will even see the thread in that amount of time. I have always tried with my bills to allow a chance for other Senators to raise concerns rahter than go to a vote too quickly even if it looked like the bill would pass easily.

Aside from that, if a bill is important enough that it needs to be rushed, the least that can be done is for the sponsor to make a statement explaining why it's needed. If you want my vote, advocate for it.
For example, when I proposed my recent constitutional amendment, I explained it in a public thread before it even came to a vote in the Senate. I don;t think it's completely coincidental that of the recent proposed constitutional amendments, mine is the one is suceeding with unanimous support
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »

Does it make sense to allow Senators-elect to allow Senators-elect to post in the legislation introduction thread?  I was thinking of putting forward an amendment to the OSPR for this, but I'm not sure how much would need to be changed or if it is even practical.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »

What is the problem steming from making them wait until they take the oath?

It is just a matter of giving them more opportunity to introduce legislation to the queue, since incumbent Senators are able to introduce legislation for the next session during this time (and before) already.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies