Sophia- Wisdom
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:07:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Sophia- Wisdom
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sophia- Wisdom  (Read 948 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:11:43 PM »

Father- God
Son- Jesus
Holy Spirit/Wisdom- Mother

Has anyone eve heard of the theory that Adam and Eve being in the Garden of Eden was actually an analogy for the womb of a mother giving birth to humankind. Everyone knows that the Hebrew word "Adamah" refers to mankind and that Eve is the mother of all living. So, I would like to imply that God is neither male nor female, or in the case of Genesis, both male and female. Most other cultures besides the Hebrews had a balance between male and female deities. When you take apart the star of David you get the male symbol; a triangle pointing upwards and a female symbol; a triangle pointing downwards. Perhaps there is a hidden meaning in that symbol. I feel like I'm teaching Sunday school now. What are your thoughts on God having both genders? I know you'll never catch me refering to God as a male or imagining God to have a white beard and hair. LOL

P.S.- Spirit and Wisdom are interchangable in ancient Greek so if Sophia is Wisdom the yes the NT writers were writing about a God with both genders.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:34 PM »

lol I'm alone here
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »

I really dont think 'spirit' and 'wisdom' are interchangable in ancient Greek. Spirit in Greek is 'pneuma' from the word for breath or wind - (pneuma is neuter in linguistic gender, but remember also that linguistic gender does not always correspond to sexuality). wisdom is personified in the book of Proverbs, but it's not clear that this is meant as divine, though it is something that flows from devotion to God. The imagery of wisdom as a feminine aspect of the divine comes from post-biblical sources such as kabbalah and also reflected in the eastern church (for example the great church in Constantinople "Hagia Sophia"- that is "holy wisdom").  It is true that the creation of 'man' in Genesis is both male and female, and both in god's image, so my understanding would be that god includes both male and female, though i would not identify it with a single member of the trinity.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »

I agree with everything you said ^^ except Proverbs was written in Hebrew.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

I am bumping this for John Dibble.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:50:09 PM »

You do realize that there is this thing called a link, right? You do realize that because of that think you don't have to push irrelevant threads up which bumps down irrelevant threads, right? Roll Eyes
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »

You do realize that there is this thing called a link, right? You do realize that because of that think you don't have to push irrelevant threads up which bumps down irrelevant threads, right? Roll Eyes

You realize that you can just say thanks.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »

Thanks for wasting everyone's time. Roll Eyes
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

Thanks for wasting everyone's time. Roll Eyes

Not a problem let me know when I can do it again.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »

I feel like I'm teaching Sunday school now.

Do you plagiarize The Da Vinci Code when you're teaching Sunday School, too?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »

I feel like I'm teaching Sunday school now.

Do you plagiarize The Da Vinci Code when you're teaching Sunday School, too?

No. For a work of fiction the Da Vinci Code really does bring up alot of factual points. The only thing I dispute is that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. What people quote to refer to that is the gospel of Philip which wasn't written until 275 AD. If you look at his relationship with her throughout the first 3 centuries, each description shows them closer suggesting an evolving view of them. Also, I dispute the Da Vinci Code because it's been clear throughout history that Constantine did not decide which books were and weren't canonized at the Council of Nicea in 325. I guess  that's why it's called fiction though. Other than that I think it really points out alot of hidden history.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies