Democrats on Iraq (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:29:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats on Iraq (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats on Iraq  (Read 6064 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »

Why is this surprising to you?

The Democrats love war, it's part of their tradition. They only feigned opposition to the Iraq war during election years after Bush's war became unpopular.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »

Point being: Saying that Democrats love war is a retarded statement that goes against reality. Democrats in the USA are obviously going to be more hawkish than the average European but they don't love war. From the start there was significant opposition towards the Iraq War among the Democratic base.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »

I'm not talking about the leaders of the Democratic Party, the history of the Democratic Party or Congressmen of the Democratic Party, just the base. Yes the DLC leadership of the Democrats is certainly more interventionist on foriegn policy than the base, but there will always be a wing of the Democrats that is extremely anti-war.

Also what the hell does the Democratic Party of the 1840s have anything to do with the Democratic Party of today?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »

Point being: Saying that Democrats love war is a retarded statement that goes against reality. Democrats in the USA are obviously going to be more hawkish than the average European but they don't love war. From the start there was significant opposition towards the Iraq War among the Democratic base.

The Mexican-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, all initiated by Democrats.

Every Democrat in the Senate and all but one in the House voted for the Afghanistan war. The majority of Senate Democrats voted for the Iraq war, including Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, as well as a substantial percentage of Democrats in the House.

The Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006 and the White House since 2008. We are still in Iraq and we are escalating the war against Afghanistan.

So, sorry, the idea that the Democratic party is an anti-war party is just ridiculous. If it were, I'd have joined.

Ron Paul also voted for the Afghanistan War.

So did Dennis Kucinich. What's your point?

The Afghanistan War isn't really a good example.

How Ron Paul voted is not relevant to a discussion of how Democrats have voted.

Not to mention Ron Paul did propose an alternative to war back in 2001, and has for a long time now favored bringing the troops home. Barack Obama and the Democrats who control Congress want to not only continue but escalate the conflict in Afghanistan.

I agree that the Democrats are for the most part a pro-war party, i'm just pointing that there are better examples to prove it than how they voted on Afghanistan. Even most of the anti-establishment Democrats (and Republicans) voted for it.

Alright, so we're agreed then that the Democratic party is not an anti-war party.
I agree as well. I was saying that they are more anti-war than the Republicans and have a large anti-war base.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies