2013 Czech Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:36:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2013 Czech Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2013 Czech Presidential Election  (Read 13948 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

Fun Fact! Schwarzenberg's full name in Czech is:

Karel Jan Nepomucký Josef Norbert Bedřich Antonín Vratislav Menas kníže ze Schwarzenberga
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »

Zeman won, 55-45.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 11:39:46 AM by Simfan34 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21210495

Bummer. Part of his appeal was that he was old, but... he's old. Can't give it another go. I liked his concession message on Facebook, though:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Very clever contrast. Zeman ran a very underhanded campaign.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »

Full results:

2.717.405 votes - 54.80% - Zeman, Milos
2.241.171 votes - 45.19% - Schwarzenberg, Karel

8.434.930 eligible voters
4.983.481 total votes cast
4.958.576 valid votes cast (99.5%)

59.11% Turnout

http://www.volby.cz/pls/prez2013/pe2?xjazyk=EN

Results for the regional map makers:

http://www.volby.cz/pls/prez2013/pe3?xjazyk=EN
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »

Google map:
http://www.google.com/elections/ed/cz/results
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »

Hmm, Zeman wiped the floor with Schwarzenberg in the rural areas it seems.

Schwarzenberg's comments about the Sudeten-Germans didn't go over well with those folks.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

Schwarzenberg's comments about the Sudeten-Germans didn't go over well with those folks.

I am not sure that the Sudeten-Gernans were the decisive issue. It seems to me that Zeman in particular won Slovakia, and the mining areas in the North (the latter is not surprising for a Social Democrat), Schwarzenberg actually did quite well in some of the areas formerly settled by Sudetendeutsche. Especially the North-East (Liberec) area in the CZ-D-PL Triangle stands out as a non-large city Schwarzenerg stronghold.

A color-scaled map of margins might be helpful to access regional effects in more detail.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »

I am not sure that the Sudeten-Gernans were the decisive issue. It seems to me that Zeman in particular won Slovakia, and the mining areas in the North (the latter is not surprising for a Social Democrat), Schwarzenberg actually did quite well in some of the areas formerly settled by Sudetendeutsche. Especially the North-East (Liberec) area in the CZ-D-PL Triangle stands out as a non-large city Schwarzenerg stronghold.

A color-scaled map of margins might be helpful to access regional effects in more detail.

If you go to the Google link I posted above and click on either Swartzenberg or Zeman's names it gives you a map of their strength in each region.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »

[/quote]
Slovakia?! You must mean Moravia, where the left-wing parties do very well in general (except Brno). The Sudetenland is more mixed, with right-wingers strong in the north and south and left-wingers in the west. This time though, the region was very strong for Zeman, so Schwarzenberg's remarks must have had some effect. The exception is the area around Liberec (incidentally it's the fifth largest city in Czechia, so I wouldn't call it small), which is usually a right-wing stronghold, but it also had some of the the highest percentages for Schwarzenberg's party at the last parliamentary election. This area is apparently one of the few with a remaining German minority, so maybe that's why they're more receptive to him.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »

If you go to the Google link I posted above and click on either Swartzenberg or Zeman's names it gives you a map of their strength in each region.

Thanks for the hint! It appears that Zeman swept Moravia (not Slovakia, that was a mistake in my last post), especially  heavily industrialised Moravian Silesia, where he reached far above 60%. Ostrava and Olomouce stand out as larger cities that went strongly for Zeman (Ostrava even with almost 65%). Zeman's second stronghold was the also heavily industrialised and mining region around Usti-nad-Labem, along the German border (>60% in all districts except for the city of Usty, where he "only" reached 58%).

Schwarzenberg took the cities of Prague, Brno, Pilsen and Budweis, plus several districts in the North-East along the German and Polish borders. He did reasonably well in much of Central Bohemia and the Hradec Kralove region.  In comparison to other rural regions, Schwarzenberg furthermore came out quite strong in his family's former territories; Cesky Krumlow 47.8%,  Prachatice 45.2% (both are in the Southwest, along the German & Austrian border), and in his "home-state" of Southern Bohemia in general.
Last but not least, the Karlsbad district stands out as a battlefield (Zeman 50.9 %). While one might suppose that the City of Karlsbad should traditionally have a lean towards nobility, such a lean should also become apparent in neighbouring spa-rich Cheb district, which, however, is not the case (it went 59% Zeman). In last-year's summer holiday in the region, I learnt that a German investor with Sudetian family roots had taken over a defunct metal processing factory deep in the mountains north of Karlsbad, which is now employing some 4,000 people for producing automotive door-lock systems. I was furthermore surprised to see restaurants in the mountains proudly displaying their Sudetian-German heritage (wall decoration with pre-WW II photographs of "Gesangsvereine", old German postcards, etc.). So, in that case I am even inclined to believe that Schwarzenberg benefited from his remark on Sudetian-Germans.

Overall, however, the regions formerly inhabited by Sudetian Germans do not display anything like a clear pattern, but range from 54% Schwarzenberg (Semily) to 74% Zeman (Bruntal). Thus, I doubt that Schwarzenberg's remark on Sudetendeutsche was decisive. Rather, the patterns were Bohemia (Schwarzenberg) vs. Moravia (Zeman), urban (Schwarzenberg) vs. rural (Zeman), white collar (Schwarzenberg) vs. blue collar (Zeman).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »

Since Zeman was able to accomplish a comeback, how about Stanislav Gross in 2018?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »

Zeman's presidency has gone about as well as would've been expected. Should've stuck with Schwarzenberg!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies