Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:27:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero  (Read 7457 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »

anyone who seriously takes issue with building a mosque there is a genuine HP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »

I'm completely apathetic toward this, but perhaps I'm just a sympathetic old fool, but like angus, I can sympathize with those who have a problem with it, and I don't think they are HPs.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Have no problem with it, I use to work in the area.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »

I think there were several hundred Muslims killed in the WTC.  When I think of 9/11, I don't think, "Poor people, except for the Muslim ones."

I do understand people who object, but I strongly disagree with them.  Perhaps a true Muslim mosque will show everyone how perverted al-Qaeda is.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

Sam, can you answer Gramps question? Seems like it's important to know who is building this mosque.

Perdana.

It's some Malaysian group, right? I don't see how they are offensive or if they fund terrorists. Seems pretty mainstream. I'm no great fan of Malaysia but I see no reason to stop this mosque from being built.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »

I think there were several hundred Muslims killed in the WTC.  When I think of 9/11, I don't think, "Poor people, except for the Muslim ones."

I do understand people who object, but I strongly disagree with them.  Perhaps a true Muslim mosque will show everyone how perverted al-Qaeda is.

well said.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »

I don't care.  A private property owner should be able to build whatever they want on their property, subject to any dumb zoning regulations. 
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »

It's perfectly fine to have a Mosque there.  I don't see the big deal with people who are against it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »

I don't care, just as long as radical Islam won't be preached inside the mosque.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »

Why?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

Equivalent to neo-nazis building a meeting hall next to auschwitz.

Actually, no, not at all.

Unless all Muslims can be compared to neo-nazis?

I don't think the state should be involved in explicitly prohibiting religious buildings or communities from existing in certain areas solely based on the type of religion involved, and neither should zoning boards.

That said, this seems like an unnecessary controversy that will unfortunately amplify people's hostilities...there's no huge Muslim community in the Financial District that would be serviced by that mosque. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »

Because there are muslims that are opposed to the 9/11 hijackings. Now if we had reason to believe this would be an Islamist mosque preaching death to America, I'd be sympathetic to their anger. Until I see a good reason to think that to be the case (them being Muslims not being a good reason, since that is just profiling), I don't really care for people making a fuss over it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »

I just don't see why they chose to go RIGHT there.  It's in extremely poor taste regardless of their feelings about 9/11.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »

I just don't see why they chose to go RIGHT there.  It's in extremely poor taste regardless of their feelings about 9/11.

Why is it in poor taste?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »

I don't like the fact that the guy in charge refuses to call Hamas a terrorist organization.  I don't like the fact that the guy in charge thinks the world needs to change before young Islamic men will stop blowing themselves up because of their own retarded beliefs.

But build your mosque where you want.  Douchebag or not.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »

Are there any synagogues in the Financial District area?  I can't remember ever seeing one.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »

Do you think anybody'd be up in arms, Fezzy, if a church or synagogue was planned to be built "RIGHT there"?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »

Why is it in poor taste?

Just because so many people have yet to separate terrorists from Islam in general.  The people affected by 9/11 are obviously not comfortable with Islam as it is what the terrorists claimed to represent.  Regardless of the fact that all Muslims are not terrorists, all the terrorists were Muslims.  I'd think they could recognize that it's a sore spot in their religion's image and not try to ruffle feathers unnecessarily.  What they represent is also represented by those specific Muslims that so deeply affected their lives to the people in the area.

That's just what I see as being the issue.  I don't have a problem with it being there, I just have a problem with why they would want to put it there.

Do you think anybody'd be up in arms, Fezzy, if a church or synagogue was planned to be built "RIGHT there"?

No of course not, though there'd really be no reason to put either there anyway.  A mosque clearly means something different in the eyes of those affected because of the message carried by the terrorists.  If they happened to be extreme fundamentalist Methodists that attacked, I'm sure people would be a little perturbed if they then built a Methodist church around the corner.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »

Catholics had little to do with the holocaust.
Actually Catholics had lots to do with the Haulocaust.  Its often not talked about because it makes Christians feel uncomfortable.  Jewish hatred didn't engender from Hitler, it came from prominent catholic priests and protestant leaders like Martin Luther and Thomas Aquinas as well as many Popes.  Christians in Austria, Italy and Germany had already believed that the Jews were inferior, which stemmed from the Christian texts, which imply that the Jews killed Jesus.  
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

Actually Catholics had lots to do with the Haulocaust.  Its often not talked about because it makes Christians feel uncomfortable.  Jewish hatred didn't engender from Hitler, it came from prominent catholic priests and protestant leaders like Martin Luther and Thomas Aquinas as well as many Popes.  Christians in Austria, Italy and Germany had already believed that the Jews were inferior, which stemmed from the Christian texts, which imply that the Jews killed Jesus.  

No it didn't, that's a load of bullsh**t.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »

No it didn't, that's a load of bullsh**t.
No what didn't?  Christians had nothing to do with the Haulocaust?  Then who did? 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_XII_and_the_Holocaust
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

I think they're somewhat touched in the head for thinking that this would improve their religion's image. I don't care either way. They have the right to build the mosque there, if they have the building permit.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »

I don't think that turning this into a Holocaust thread is a very good idea Smiley
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

He cared much more about the murder of preists in Mexico and Spain than the Holocaust.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies