"Sleeper" House Seats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:00:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Sleeper" House Seats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Sleeper" House Seats  (Read 11039 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »
« edited: July 07, 2010, 07:16:25 PM by Lunar »

Raul Grijalva.  The most prominent opponent of the Arizona Law, running in a district that almost certainly supports it and covers the most affected area.

I never realized his district was only D+6, he's such an outspoken member of the Progressive Caucus.

But his district is majority-Hispanic and less than 40% white.  McCain got less than 42% in '08 and he had a home-state advantage here.  How many districts in which McCain got less than 42% in are vulnerable?  McCain did about as well in this district as he did in the entire state of New Jersey.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 07:22:55 PM by Lunar »

Raul Grijalva.  The most prominent opponent of the Arizona Law, running in a district that almost certainly supports it and covers the most affected area.
http://www.josephsweeneyforcongress.org/

Holy Hell, is he running in 1998 or 2010?

quote:
"It really isn't funny letting a Hispanic Politician make a TAX Monkey out of you!"

wtf

ofmg, that's like the LEADING quote on his website!!

No one like that has a chance in a majority [not plurality] Hispanic district.

I looked at the animated clock on his website, I thought it was like a debt counter like many websites us, but no, it's actually a second-accurate military-format 24-hour clock.  What purpose does that serve?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2010, 07:25:58 PM by Lunar »

omfg, has anyone on his staff even seen the website?  Click on the numbered tabs featured in the menu navigation.  

Or check out his fundraising graphic, where he's raised $0 out of $0 dollars and apparently he ends his fundraising 21 days after the 2010 general election is finished, November 23rd
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »

omfg, and look at the picture they use for him in the upper right!  It looks like an attack website but IT'S NOT

I tried to get to his biography page, but it was a corrupted .pdf file. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »

I think this is a better challenger:

http://www.ruth4az.com/

Not only does she have a website that's only bad instead of god-awful-disgusting, but her website has this important graphic on the homepage:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

CA-37 of course guys. azmagic and redcommander said it was winnable!

You tell me when was the last time Republicans put up a candidate as strong as Star Parker there? I said it's possible. Richardson has a bunch of ethics issues and represents a district with about 25% unemployment and a Republican candidate who could actually appeal to the district's voters.

D+26%.  That's more Democratic that Joseph Cao's district, which he only barely won because he was in an extremely low-turnout runoff election against an opponent who was caught with $30,000 in his freezer.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

omfg, has anyone on his staff even seen the website?  Click on the numbered tabs featured in the menu navigation.  

I highly doubt he has any paid staff. Ruth McClung is the only Republican in AZ-07 that's filed any FEC reports, and she's raised all of $23k (over 9 months, and a lot of it looks like in-kinds). She does have a campaign manager, who appears to be donating her time. Her husband appears to have done the website (also donated).

Well, needless to say, no one will with a Congressional Seat without staff or a horribly scandal-tarred opponent. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »

CA-37 of course guys. azmagic and redcommander said it was winnable!

You tell me when was the last time Republicans put up a candidate as strong as Star Parker there? I said it's possible. Richardson has a bunch of ethics issues and represents a district with about 25% unemployment and a Republican candidate who could actually appeal to the district's voters.

Putting aside everything else, blacks make up about 40% of the electorate I would guess.  So when you find some poll with the GOP making inroads among blacks, get back to me.

Not sure about the electorate, but they are 25% of the demographics of the district per the last census.  It's less than 17% white though, so there's no mathematical way possible for a Republican to win that district.  Joseph Cao's district in Louisiana is about twice as white
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »

I think this is a better challenger:

http://www.ruth4az.com/

Not only does she have a website that's only bad instead of god-awful-disgusting, but her website has this important graphic on the homepage:

BREAKING NEWS: The Twitter icon for "Phuket Gay Resort" uses the SAME ICON

http://twitter.com/PhuketGayResort
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies