Dutch director killed by islamist fanatic!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Dutch director killed by islamist fanatic!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Dutch director killed by islamist fanatic!  (Read 19762 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2004, 07:30:49 AM »

Apparently you didn't read (or understand) my previous postings.

I did NOT say that elections in Germany were regularly won by banning the opposition.

I did say that there was a record in western europe of banning the opposition, and cited specific examples of the same.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2004, 07:46:21 AM »

Do you remember how in Iran the 'elections' were rigged by banning all candidates who did not adhere to islamo-facism?

In much of western europe, elections are 'won' on a similiar basis by banning those who disagree with the idiotology of the 'politically correct.'

In both the Netherlands and Germany, banning parties that do not adhere to political correctness is done, just as in Belgium.

The rulers of many western european countries are afraid of their own people and are slowly inflicting a totalitarian state there to hold onto power.

Facts are facts.

The Iranian council banned candidates who did not toe their line and in Belgium (and other counties cited), if you dare disagree with the prevailing line you get banned as well.

Are you denying that parties in Belgium and Germany are banned if they don't toe the line on poltical correctness?

First hypothesis: "In much of western europe, elections are 'won' on a similiar basis by banning those who disagree with the idiotology of the 'politically correct.'"

Second hypothesis: "In both the Netherlands and Germany, banning parties that do not adhere to political correctness is done, just as in Belgium.
The rulers of many western european countries are afraid of their own people and are slowly inflicting a totalitarian state there to hold onto power."

Third hypothesis: "The Iranian council banned candidates who did not toe their line and in Belgium (and other counties cited), if you dare disagree with the prevailing line you get banned as well."
(Other countries cited would include Germany).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2004, 08:27:08 AM »

You really need to learn something both about language and logic (in this case set theory)

First, in Iran, candidates were banned from the ballot who did not agree with the mullahs (do you dispute it?)

Second, you have acknowledged that parties have been banned in Germany, will not adress the fact that parties have been banned in other western european countries, and that the governments of several western european countries have threatened to ban other parties (intimidating them into toeing the line).

Third, you have not comprehended the difference between some elections and ALL elections.  If all parties allowed the particpate agree to toe the line, there is NO need to ban them and the public has the 'choice' so deliciously parodied by Jonathan Swift of 'choosing' between parties whose disagreements are comparatively minor.

Fourth, when parties are aware that advocating a 'politically incorrect' position may result in their being banned, it is quite understandable that they will avoid those positions, even if favored by the electorate (its called intimidation).

So, in conclusion, the threat of banning, couples with tangible examples of the same having been done, is often sufficent to prevent policies from being advocated by parties.

Doesn't seem to me to be a particularly difficult concept to comprehend.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2004, 12:02:13 PM »

Lunar,

I cited specific examples of where the europeans have banned political competition.

I would appreciate it if you could cite similiar examples of where political parties have been banned in the United States over the past fifty years.

We were "banning" leftist political organizations through intimidation, but not parties really.  My point earlier was simply put that we wouldn't want people to judge America by its own actions 50 years ago either.

In response to the last post:
I don't believe Old Europe ever advocated that banning parties is good.  He only disputed what he felt was exaggeration in your rhetoric.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2004, 12:51:57 PM by Old Europe »

You really need to learn something both about language and logic (in this case set theory)

First, in Iran, candidates were banned from the ballot who did not agree with the mullahs (do you dispute it?)

Second, you have acknowledged that parties have been banned in Germany, will not adress the fact that parties have been banned in other western european countries, and that the governments of several western european countries have threatened to ban other parties (intimidating them into toeing the line).

Third, you have not comprehended the difference between some elections and ALL elections.  If all parties allowed the particpate agree to toe the line, there is NO need to ban them and the public has the 'choice' so deliciously parodied by Jonathan Swift of 'choosing' between parties whose disagreements are comparatively minor.

Fourth, when parties are aware that advocating a 'politically incorrect' position may result in their being banned, it is quite understandable that they will avoid those positions, even if favored by the electorate (its called intimidation).

So, in conclusion, the threat of banning, couples with tangible examples of the same having been done, is often sufficent to prevent policies from being advocated by parties.

Doesn't seem to me to be a particularly difficult concept to comprehend.

But thatīs not fully consistent with your earlier statements. Basically you changed your position from "In much of western europe, elections are 'won' on a similiar basis by banning those who disagree with the idiotology of the 'politically correct'" to "In much of western europe, extremist parties are forced to take a more moderate stance because they may fear getting banned". That way it makes much more sense.

Considering that all three "major" neo-Nazi parties in Germany are far from being "politically correct", I wonder to what extent your theory is plausible. Maybe a immediate short-term effect could be expected, but not much more. Especially the NPD was rather self-confident in the last time.

And personally I would appreciate it that you stop using inappropriate remarks like "You really need to learn something both about language and logic (in this case set theory)", "Apparently you didn't read (or understand) my previous postings", "I realize you have a great deal of difficulty..." or "I know you find this difficult to understand, but...". Thanks.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2004, 01:16:36 PM »

I don't believe Old Europe ever advocated that banning parties is good.  He only disputed what he felt was exaggeration in your rhetoric.

Well, in a world that isnīt just black and white it is a difficult issue without a satisfying solution.

I could repeat what I already said in answer to CARLHAYDENīs question about how many bannings are too many: "I have no idea, but it should as close to zero as possible." And even CARLHAYDEN finally admitted that party bans are justified under extreme circumstances (the martial law thing).

Letīs say Iīm very reluctant concerning the bans of parties.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2004, 03:28:40 PM »

Lunar,

I cited specific examples of where the europeans have banned political competition.

I would appreciate it if you could cite similiar examples of where political parties have been banned in the United States over the past fifty years.

We were "banning" leftist political organizations through intimidation, but not parties really.  My point earlier was simply put that we wouldn't want people to judge America by its own actions 50 years ago either.

I appreciate you point, but my point was that the banning of a political party in Belgium happened earlier this month, not fifty years ago.

I then pointed out that Belgium was not the only western european country to ban, and threaten to ban political parties.

Old europe chose to focus on the bans in Germany that were actually implemented, and ignored those in other countries which were more recently implemented, and the threatened bans in Germany (which have occured in the past few years).

He also chose to insert the concept of "all" elections, which was NOT my intent.

I have also pointed out that the intimidation is not limited to banning parties, but includes fineing those who engage in politically incorrect speech or writing (re: Bridget Bardot) and handing out lenient sentences to those who murder leaders of 'politically incorrect' parties (the Dutch example I previously cited).  Further, please note the requirement for licensing of churches, which was denied in Germany to the Scientologists.

In short, the banning of parties is but part of a larger whole of legal harassment of the 'politically incorrect' in much of western europe.
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2004, 06:12:57 AM »

I have also pointed out that the intimidation is not limited to banning parties, but includes fineing those who engage in politically incorrect speech or writing (re: Bridget Bardot) and handing out lenient sentences to those who murder leaders of 'politically incorrect' parties (the Dutch example I previously cited). 

About the lenient sentences in the Netherlands: Mr Van der Graaf received an 18-year sentence for murder. That is extremely high for a single murder, committed by someone without a criminal record, and with a low chance of repeat. The court gave a higher sentence than usual because a politician was murdered. Normally, a single murder would result in a 12 year sentence.

Although the maximum sentence in the Netherlands is life imprisonment, this has only been used very sparsely, and only for multiple murders.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2004, 08:33:51 AM »

Ah, but Freek, the murderer will be released in 2014, as the sentences are pretty meaningless since early release is the norm.

Compare, Sirhan Sirhan mudered Robert Kennedy in 1968 (36 years ago).  He's in prison today, and probably will continue to be imprisoned for the forseeable future (unless he dies in prison soon).

freek
Netherlands

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2004, 12:04:50 PM »

Ah, but Freek, the murderer will be released in 2014, as the sentences are pretty meaningless since early release is the norm.

That's right. Maybe the sentence looks low in your eyes. But he is sentenced by a Dutch court, and he did not receive a lenient sentence  in Dutch eyes.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2004, 09:31:23 PM »

I can remember some friends of mine who lived in the Netherlands at the time, and they reported that many of the supporters of the murdered party leader where very angry with the sentence, while the local lefties were celebrating  the sentence.

I am not suprised that from your perspective. and perhaps that of your friends the sentence was considered to be 'reasonable.'

I wonder if someone murdered the leaders of the left parties if the court would be so 'reasonable' (lenient).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2004, 03:39:59 AM »

Religous people should be fed to Loins.

Good for population control as well.
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2004, 05:55:45 AM »

I can remember some friends of mine who lived in the Netherlands at the time, and they reported that many of the supporters of the murdered party leader where very angry with the sentence, while the local lefties were celebrating  the sentence.

Not really celebrating, but they agreed with the court. Fortuyn's supporters would have considered any sentence lower than the death penalty (performed in the most cruel way possible) as lenient.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »

Religous people should be fed to Loins.

Good for population control as well.

Brilliant sentiment!  I couldn't agree more.

Though in general - and assuming no religious infestations - I like a rapidly growing population.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2004, 03:24:10 PM »

Immigration should be well-regulated to secular-minded folks.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2004, 10:02:10 PM »

Tenderloin sandwich anyone?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2004, 08:29:58 AM »

120 replies already!  Probably my most popular thread.

About the sentence of Fortyun's murderer. 18 years in jail is very long time in most European countries.

Personally I support much longer sentences.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2004, 08:56:27 AM »

But, nobody serves the sentence in Denmark.

Care to bet the murderer is out long before the so-called sentence is due to be completed?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2004, 01:56:27 PM »

They should've sentenced him to be fed to the lions.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2007, 12:23:08 AM »

we really need an American Pym Fortun.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2007, 05:09:59 AM »

So, America needs an openly gay politician, who opposes Muslim immigration and gets assassinated by an environmental activist?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2007, 05:18:18 AM »

Please don't respond to any comments the troll posts when he bumps threads. It's just giving him what he wants; attention.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies