France bans the Burka and other veils
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France bans the Burka and other veils
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: France bans the Burka and other veils  (Read 10878 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2014, 04:58:26 AM »

Also, what should a Muslim woman wear ?

Poll from Pew Research in these countries.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »

The FPÖ of course jumped on the anti-burka/veil train pretty quickly:

"Too beautiful for a veil. Against the islamisation of Europe."

This was posted by the Upper Austrian FPÖ-leader on his Facebook page recently.

The FPÖ will also introduce a motion in parliament this week to ban burkas from the Austrian public (a measure that will fail of course, because SPÖ and ÖVP are against it).

The FPÖ-measure failed today in parliament:

http://kurier.at/politik/inland/nationalrat-kurz-lehnt-burkaverbot-ab-antrag-der-fpoe-abgewisen/74.226.643

SPÖ, ÖVP, Greens and NEOS voted against it, FPÖ and Team Stronach for it.

Quote from Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP) - who's cabinet is also responsible for integration stuff:

"That's an artificial debate. Burka-wearing women who live in Austria are very rare and those who visit the country leave a lot of money here."

(In fact, the city where I live (Zell am See) has ca. 1 million Arab tourists each year and is one of the biggest tourism magnets for Arabs in Europe. I see thousands of Niqab-wearing women every summer and it doesn't bother me at all.)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2018, 11:54:53 AM by DavidB. »

Super bump, because the Netherlands has now also banned the burqa and the niqab -- not on the streets, but in public buildings, healthcare institutions like hospitals, educational institutions like schools and universities, and on public transit; probably even more effective. I'd actually see more potential issues with this than with only banning it on the streets, but I am obviously not going to complain Smiley

After a 2005 (!) motion by Wilders had been adopted, the Rutte-I minority government with PVV outside support committed itself to this proposal in 2010, but after the PVV retracted its support of the government, the CDA refused to support the proposal. The Rutte-II government then came up with this initiative, which is more limited in scale than the previous one and was supported by all parties except D66, GL and DENK. The proposal now passed the Senate with support from VVD, CDA, PVV, SGP and CU. It was defended in the Senate by Minister Ollongren of Interior Affairs, whose party D66 never supported the ban. So it took them 13 years, and it is only a partial ban, but it is a beginning -- and a victory for the PVV.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »

Doing a so 'unDutch' thing to preserve Dutch culture?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »

Super bump, because the Netherlands has now also banned the burqa and the niqab -- not on the streets, but in public buildings, healthcare institutions like hospitals, educational institutions like schools and universities, and on public transit; probably even more effective. I'd actually see more potential issues with this than with only banning it on the streets, but I am obviously not going to complain Smiley

After a 2005 (!) motion by Wilders had been adopted, the Rutte-I minority government with PVV outside support committed itself to this proposal in 2010, but after the PVV retracted its support of the government, the CDA refused to support the proposal. The Rutte-II government then came up with this initiative, which is more limited in scale than the previous one and was supported by all parties except D66, GL and DENK. The proposal now passed the Senate with support from VVD, CDA, PVV, SGP and CU. It was defended in the Senate by Minister Ollongren of Interior Affairs, whose party D66 never supported the ban. So it took them 13 years, and it is only a partial ban, but it is a beginning -- and a victory for the PVV.
Fantastic news. Glad to see Europe beginning to see sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies