DE: Rasmussen: Coons closing in on Castle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  DE: Rasmussen: Coons closing in on Castle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DE: Rasmussen: Coons closing in on Castle  (Read 1929 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

New Poll: Delaware Senator (Special) by Rasmussen on 2010-7-14

Summary: D: 36%, R: 47%, I: 6%, U: 11%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »

So Castle's lead was cut in half from the last poll, huh? Ouch for him.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »

I've ignored this race, assuming it was safe for the GOP. Any reason why it's gotten closer?
Shilly
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Looks like Rasmussen is easing into "get it right" mode.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »

I've ignored this race, assuming it was safe for the GOP. Any reason why it's gotten closer?

Because all of Rasmussen's other polls have gotten closer? Smiley
sg0508
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »

Gotta put a few polls together to see if it's an outlier.  If the next poll puts Castle up 10 or so, then suddenly, it's a race again.

The fact that he's below 50% in this race is very disturbing because once voters start opening up to changing, you're probably not getting their vote back.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »

Wow, this might actually be entertaining.Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »

Has anyone asked Ras if he changed his turnout model, or does he think there is a real movement back to the Dems?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »

Honestly, who knew this "Coons" guy a few months ago? I hardly even know him now. Despite that, I fully expect 55 - 45 for Castle at the end of the day.

I mean, it's not like 36% is anything to be proud of... sure Castle is below 50, but.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2010, 09:00:23 PM by Lunar »

Honestly, who knew this "Coons" guy a few months ago?

County Executive of the state's most populous county, seems to have done a good job at it and all.

fwiw, In 1972 with that seat, there was a two-term Republican incumbent Senator and two-term former-Governor (CalebBoggs) that Nixon himself personally intervened to encourage him to run again, and no other Democrat dared to challenge Boggs, as he was presumed a guaranteed victor, except a New Castle City Councilman nobody heard of named Joe Biden, partially because Boggs ran an unexciting campaign.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2010, 09:10:04 PM by Lunar »

I just attempted to order a Chris Coons bumper sticker from his website!  Let's see if it arrives!  I gave them the phone number for a Chinese food place in Alphabet City though.  I don't give out my phone number since I once did for a GOP campaign I wanted email blasts from and had the NRA calling me at work to come show up to a gun rights rally "Hello?  Who is this!  Yes I support the 2nd Amendment.  No, I don't want to go to a gun-rights rally, I don't own a gun or ever intend to.  Oh, okay, I guess I see your point that that doesn't matter, but um.. I really got to go now, don't call me again, bye!"

I always take campaigns up on free sticker offers to decorate my laptop, so it's no Coons specialty or anything Smiley

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »

You love his bald spot.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »

Spot?  Does James Carville have a "bald spot" too then?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

County Executive of the state's most populous county, seems to have done a good job at it and all.

fwiw, In 1972 with that seat, there was a two-term Republican incumbent Senator and two-term former-Governor (CalebBoggs) that Nixon himself personally intervened to encourage him to run again, and no other Democrat dared to challenge Boggs, as he was presumed a guaranteed victor, except a New Castle City Councilman nobody heard of named Joe Biden, partially because Boggs ran an unexciting campaign.

Considering Castle's age and lack of competition for the last few years, this is a very possible outcome.  Chris Coons could become the next Joe Biden (in terms of electoral performance)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »

Spot?  Does James Carville have a "bald spot" too then?

It's a very big spot! Don't judge.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »

I'm actually in Delaware right now on vacation and nether campaign shows any signs of being active. For example, I haven't seen any bumper stickers, campaign yard signs, billboards, functions etc for ether Castle or Coons. Hell, just to get a gauge of things I'm thinking about asking random residents on the street who they support, but without being representative of any campaign or any project that would just be awkward.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

Castle's voting record has seemed to be quite a bit more conservative and partisan than he has been in the past.  Perhaps that is starting to catch up to him?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »

I just attempted to order a Chris Coons bumper sticker from his website!  Let's see if it arrives!  I gave them the phone number for a Chinese food place in Alphabet City though.  I don't give out my phone number since I once did for a GOP campaign I wanted email blasts from and had the NRA calling me at work to come show up to a gun rights rally "Hello?  Who is this!  Yes I support the 2nd Amendment.  No, I don't want to go to a gun-rights rally, I don't own a gun or ever intend to.  Oh, okay, I guess I see your point that that doesn't matter, but um.. I really got to go now, don't call me again, bye!"

I always take campaigns up on free sticker offers to decorate my laptop, so it's no Coons specialty or anything Smiley

Is a sticker reading "COONS" on your laptop really the best idea in a city like New York?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:02 AM »

Is a sticker reading "COONS" on your laptop really the best idea in a city like New York?

Which leads to the question of what percentage of the black vote will Chris get?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »

Has anyone asked Ras if he changed his turnout model, or does he think there is a real movement back to the Dems?

I obviously haven't asked him, but it does seem like he is changing his turnout model to a more realistic one. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more slight adjustments happen over the summer. In the spring time he was setting a narrative and pleasing his Republican clients. Now that summer is here, it's time to get serious.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:31 AM »

Castle's voting record has seemed to be quite a bit more conservative and partisan than he has been in the past.  Perhaps that is starting to catch up to him?

I think it's more that Coons is a strong, but relatively unknown candidate that's increasing his profile.  The new guy always start off slow against the dedcade-long incumbent, and Castle has a moderate enough voting record for a Republican were some Left-leaners might start off voting for him before they find a more fitting alternative.

Castle has also been acting like this election is merely a formality, which I'm going to start calling "Coakley Syndrome" after it's most famous victim.  He's spent the last few months doing next to nothing.

But still, it'll take something big to shift this race to the Democrats.  Castle has won in exactly the same constituency close to a dozen times, and in a good Republican year he shouldn't have any trouble doing it again.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »

He's suddenly veered back to the left in the past month or two. If you look at recent House votes, a lot of them only have two Republicans voting with the Democrats: Castle and Cao. Probably he's decided he can afford to piss off the Republicans without endangering the nomination (especially since O'Donnell is a nutcase).

As an aside, it looks like Beau Biden will be unopposed for re-election as Attorney General.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »

haha, good point

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »

I don't see this race getting really competitive unless Castle's health issues rear their head.  That said, Castle's not going to walk away with this.  He has a roof of around 57~% against a reasonably serious candidate, and the earlier prediction of 55-45 sounds about right.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »

Castle's health is the elephant in the room.  Beyond that, beware of unwilling candidates; they often unconsciously sabotage themselves in the end.  That said, Castle should still be the heavy favorite, and it's a summer poll.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies