Why I think John Thune is the GOP's best chance in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:14:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why I think John Thune is the GOP's best chance in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why I think John Thune is the GOP's best chance in 2012  (Read 9573 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »

Thune has been pretty successful in South Dakota politics, serving three terms in the House and is probably going to win re-election in the Senate with ease this year.  He has charm, charisma and he's family-oriented. 

For those of you that see my posts, you know I'm a moderate, "RINO" I suppose.  That being said, I would strongly support Thune for 2012.

1) He comes from an outside state, SD, which could serve as an advantage, similar to Carter (GA) in 1976.

2) He has the conservative establishment behind him

3) He doesn't come across as one of those ignorant types.  For example, he's said that while he is strongly pro life and against gay marriage, he understands and RESPECTS the other side's opinion.  The tolerance factor I like.

4) He's a very good speaker and doesn't make gaffes.

5) From what I read, his record is clean.  There is no dirty work on him, which is an advantage.

6) His location in the Plains/Midwest could be an advantage to the GOP, which is rtying to still break into the upper midwest (although we got IA back in 2004

7) He's got charisma.

While the cupboard appears bare, I think this is our man for 2012, or maybe 2016, if he feels 2012 becomes unwinnable depending on the economy in the next two years.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

Yes, Thune is the best candidate at the moment but any 'serious' candidate would win easily.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »

Yes, Thune is the best candidate at the moment but any 'serious' candidate would win easily.
Nobody is taking down Obama so easily.  With the charisma he's got and the media being on his side, any solid Republican would still have a very hard time, even if the economy doesn't improve.  The electoral map doesn't help the GOP either now.  There has to be a breakthrough in the northeast somewhere or in the midwest. 

I still think Thune because of the reasons I listed, is our best shot.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 02:12:52 PM by xavier110 »

He's basically Obama in a Republican's body.

By that, I mean image, story, positions (will present himself as a moderate, but will be tied to the fringes of his party), etc.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »

He's basically Obama in a Republican's body

And possibly far more competent. He'll have far more experience under him than Obama ever did.

That said, I still abhor his politics.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

He's basically Obama in a Republican's body.

Yes, like Barack Obama, John Thune is a clone of George W. Bush. I think America has had enough of the disastrous policies of Bush/Obama/Thune.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »

I still think a lot of you underestimate Obama.  He's seen as very likeable and among a lot of voters, "he can do no wrong".  Reagan was the same way, as was JFK.

Charisma buys a ton of votes.  That's why I think Thune helps us in that he has a lot of positive energy/charisma too.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

I still think a lot of you underestimate Obama.  He's seen as very likeable and among a lot of voters, "he can do no wrong".  Reagan was the same way, as was JFK.

Charisma buys a ton of votes.  That's why I think Thune helps us in that he has a lot of positive energy/charisma too.

What's "positive" about Thune?

There's absolutely nothing special about him. He's boring and horrible. Thune sucks.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

There's absolutely nothing special about him. He's boring and horrible. Thune sucks.
Are you just a miserable human being?  Move to Canada.  Maybe you'll feel better.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »

Are you just a miserable human being?  Move to Canada.  Maybe you'll feel better.

No, I think this country has had enough of being governed by your style of politics.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »

I'm certainly no "social" conservative.  If you have nothing constructive to add to a topic I start, get the f..k off my thread!  Any questions?

No, I think this country has had enough of being governed by your style of politics.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »

Thune has been pretty successful in South Dakota politics, serving three terms in the House and is probably going to win re-election in the Senate with ease this year.  He has charm, charisma and he's family-oriented. 

For those of you that see my posts, you know I'm a moderate, "RINO" I suppose.  That being said, I would strongly support Thune for 2012.

1) He comes from an outside state, SD, which could serve as an advantage, similar to Carter (GA) in 1976.

3) He doesn't come across as one of those ignorant types.  For example, he's said that while he is strongly pro life and against gay marriage, he understands and RESPECTS the other side's opinion.  The tolerance factor I like.

5) From what I read, his record is clean.  There is no dirty work on him, which is an advantage.

6) His location in the Plains/Midwest could be an advantage to the GOP, which is rtying to still break into the upper midwest (although we got IA back in 2004

7) He's got charisma.

While the cupboard appears bare, I think this is our man for 2012, or maybe 2016, if he feels 2012 becomes unwinnable depending on the economy in the next two years.

I actually did a project on a fake 2012 election with Thune as the GOP nominee. I agree with all of your reasons. Your analysis is spot on.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

Your arguments are very valid and reasonable. However, I will state my opinion again: I think Obama will beat any GOPer in 2012 because the economy will continue to improve and many people will begin feeling the recovery. Thus, Obama could just say in 2012 "Bush screwed over our economy. I fixed it. Elect another Republican with Bush's policies and the economy will go down the drain again."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

I think Thune will come across likable to the American people, and doesn't have the baggage that other candidates have. However, he has a major flaw - South Dakota is not a major air hub. That could prevent him from winning the nomination over Gingrich, who has Atlanta, and Romney, who has Boston.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »

I think Thune will come across likable to the American people, and doesn't have the baggage that other candidates have. However, he has a major flaw - South Dakota is not a major air hub. That could prevent him from winning the nomination over Gingrich, who has Atlanta, and Romney, who has Boston.

Can someone please explain this air-hub theory to me?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »

Nobody is taking down Obama so easily.  With the charisma he's got and the media being on his side, any solid Republican would still have a very hard time, even if the economy doesn't improve.  The electoral map doesn't help the GOP either now. 

No, Obama is black, the media isn't on his side, and the map still favors Republicans heavily.  It was a fluke Obama was elected in the first place, and the charisma is the wrong kind, alas.  Oh, and all signs point to the economy remaining very bad for many years.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 04:10:21 PM by sg0508 »

Nobody is taking down Obama so easily.  With the charisma he's got and the media being on his side, any solid Republican would still have a very hard time, even if the economy doesn't improve.  The electoral map doesn't help the GOP either now.  

No, Obama is black, the media isn't on his side, and the map still favors Republicans heavily.  It was a fluke Obama was elected in the first place, and the charisma is the wrong kind, alas.  Oh, and all signs point to the economy remaining very bad for many years.
The map is not favorable to Republicans at all.  There is 0 viability in NY/CA, IL, WA and most of the states in the notheast.  Too may electoral votes lost instantly. Obama proved that he was serious in making inroads in the south and made a splash by winning VA and NC.  He also won conservative IN with the youth vote.  He was also relatively close in GA too.

If the media was not on Obama's side, then why did 90% of those outlets endorse him?  The biggest question right now with the GOP is this, and it's the same that was being said by Democrats in the 80s as they put up with losers like Mondale and Dukakis, do they have a clue how to win?  With idiots like Angle running in what should have been a shoe-in to knock out Harry Reid and choosing Farina who is not going to beat Boxer (although the polls may be halfway close), I'm convinced the party doesn't care if they win as long as the severe right is on the top of the ticket, or, they just have no clue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »

Can someone please explain this air-hub theory to me?

Apparently it's easier to campaign if there is an air hub near you because you have easier access to flying. Pbrower can explain it better. After all, he came up with it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

This thread is pretty indicative of how clueless the Republicans are. If they really think nominating George W. Bush III is their "best chance", Obama might as well just go on vacation for Campaign 2012.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »

This thread is pretty indicative of how clueless the Republicans are. If they really think nominating George W. Bush III is their "best chance", Obama might as well just go on vacation for Campaign 2012.
George W. Bush's political views are somewhat in line with Republican voters. The ideal candidate you have, which is much more libertarian, has little to no chance. I doubt even a moderate will be able to win. In 2012, Republicans will try as hard as possible to get a conservative candidate nominated.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2010, 04:38:34 PM by sg0508 »

Go away.  Nobody wants you here and like I told you before, if you're that pissed off with America, pack your bags and get the hell out of here.  I'm as a liberal republican as they come, and I've stated the reasons why I think Thune would be strong for the party.  Nobody cares about your useless opinion or life.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

George W. Bush's political views are somewhat in line with Republican voters. The ideal candidate you have, which is much more libertarian, has little to no chance. I doubt even a moderate will be able to win. In 2012, Republicans will try as hard as possible to get a conservative candidate nominated.

John Thune is even more out-of-touch with Americans than John McCain was. He doesn't appeal to conservatives, he doesn't appeal to liberals, he doesn't appeal to moderates, he doesn't appeal to libertarians, he doesn't appeal to the tea parties.

In fact, a guy who voted for TARP is liable to incite a third-party tea party challenge. And remember, this won't be like 2008 again: the tea parties have infiltrated the GOP itself in many places.

The only people who seem to support Thune are those in his strange and unwarranted personality cult.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

John Thune is even more out-of-touch with Americans than John McCain was. He doesn't appeal to conservatives, he doesn't appeal to liberals, he doesn't appeal to moderates, he doesn't appeal to libertarians, he doesn't appeal to the tea parties.

In fact, a guy who voted for TARP is liable to incite a third-party tea party challenge. And remember, this won't be like 2008 again: the tea parties have infiltrated the GOP itself in many places.

The only people who seem to support Thune are those in his strange and unwarranted personality cult.

This pretty much. Thune is basically just another Bush-Republican non-entity. I haven't seen any speculation or support for a serious run for him outside of internet politicos.
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »

7) He's got charisma.

I actually did a project on a fake 2012 election with Thune as the GOP nominee. I agree with all of your reasons. Your analysis is spot on.
where's the link?
TheGreatOne

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »

He's boring and regularly gets caught not knowing what he's talking about.  At least Bush was interesting.  NO NO NO.  Not only would we get another Republican hack canidate, but the election will be really boring and Obama will win handily. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies