I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:36:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Author Topic: I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)  (Read 49464 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »

Is there a guarantee that company will be around down the road if it is legit? You aren't making much now, but you may not be making anything in a few months. I'm sure Oklahoma NG is more stable than whatever company you're looking at now.

Well, they've been in business for over 10 years and are in the ever-growing industry of web-design.  I've no doubt that this company will be here for the long-term.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »

I'm so glad Okie's soon to be gets disability for a "medical condition" and yet my mom is not considered disabled.  She just doesn't have use of the left side of her body because she chose not to, apparently.

I get really bitter towards people that get disability unless they're really actually disabled.  Is your wife unable to work at all?  Or is she more unwilling + qualifies for disability?

I hope she doesn't vote Republican.  Her disability is nothing but laziness in their eyes!  So I hope lip service on banning abortion and keeping the sissy boys from marrying is worth it when they cut her disability payments so we can afford another tax cut to the rich!

She actually receives SSI and is unable to be gainfully employed.  I think she would love to work, but with her condition, she'd be more of a liability than an asset.

Well, I didn't mean to sound so acerbic.  If your fiancee has a disability, then I'm sorry about that.  But I'm sure you get frustrated when the people who need help are denied it and you see abuse all over the place.

And the only people who wish to actually fix this only wish to cut everybody off.. so there's no real solution.

Well, hopefully your soon to be will at least find some good hobbies that help her forget about her disability for a while.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

Class envy anyone?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 02:20:06 AM »

Why would this Company PAY all that? Think about whether it makes sense. Nothing against you....but why are you worth this much to them?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »

Why would this Company PAY all that? Think about whether it makes sense. Nothing against you....but why are you worth this much to them?

Sorry for not answering this, but they are paying the industry norm.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

Class envy anyone?

What now?  What class are you talking about?  Are you suggesting I am in a class envying another class?  I thought I was pitying the working class.  Pity is different from envy, Denver.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »

I'm so glad Okie's soon to be gets disability for a "medical condition" and yet my mom is not considered disabled.  She just doesn't have use of the left side of her body because she chose not to, apparently.

I get really bitter towards people that get disability unless they're really actually disabled.  Is your wife unable to work at all?  Or is she more unwilling + qualifies for disability?

I hope she doesn't vote Republican.  Her disability is nothing but laziness in their eyes!  So I hope lip service on banning abortion and keeping the sissy boys from marrying is worth it when they cut her disability payments so we can afford another tax cut to the rich!

She actually receives SSI and is unable to be gainfully employed.  I think she would love to work, but with her condition, she'd be more of a liability than an asset.

Well, I didn't mean to sound so acerbic.  If your fiancee has a disability, then I'm sorry about that.  But I'm sure you get frustrated when the people who need help are denied it and you see abuse all over the place.

And the only people who wish to actually fix this only wish to cut everybody off.. so there's no real solution.

Well, hopefully your soon to be will at least find some good hobbies that help her forget about her disability for a while.

That is disturbing.  To your question about how she votes, she does vote Republican, because she's afraid of the Democrats doing exactly what you mention the Republicans would want to do.  She is afraid Obama wants to get rid of Social Security assistance for retirees and the disabled.  She doesn't mind me being a Democrat and an Obama voter, but she herself will never be one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »

Might want to keep that in mind before you plunge into matrimony, big boy.

...she does vote Republican, because she's afraid of the Democrats doing exactly what you mention the Republicans would want to do.  She is afraid Obama wants to get rid of Social Security assistance for retirees and the disabled. 

Why on earth does she believe that nonsense?  When you say 'disabled' do you mean mentally?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »

Wtf I agree with opie.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »

Might want to keep that in mind before you plunge into matrimony, big boy.

To me, she more of an asset than a liability, but companies may see her differently.  However, she is an artist and possibly may go into business selling her artwork which would help supplement our income and give her spending money, basically.  While my wife may not be "working", she may be an entrepreneur.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why on earth does she believe that nonsense?  When you say 'disabled' do you mean mentally?
[/quote]

I don't know, I think she's just been "Oklahomanized" which in the context of politics is not necessarily a good thing.

I'm not going to disclose her condition, but suffice it to say it is significant enough for SSI, but still leave her nearly normal.  She is extremely intelligent and very knowledgeable for a 25-year-old woman who has never lived away from her mother.  She really will help offset my personality.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »

Go wash your mouth out with soap. Tongue

Kidding, but that is very rare for States and Opie to agree with each other.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »

This thread will end well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »

Are you sure it will end?  I mean, the Update thread is alive and well after more than six months since creation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

When you stay out of it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »

My parents are on board with this job and so is my bride-to-be.  I have the ball rolling and this company has already put in their intranet to increase safety of communication.  My training will begin most likely on Monday, July 26.  My first paycheck should come in the second week of August at the end of the training.  I'm growing increasingly more confident with this company that it is what it says it is.  They've been extremely prompt in returning my e-mails.  If I e-mail them in the evening, they respond by 10:30 the next morning and if I e-mail during the day, they will respond within an hour, usually in under half an hour.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 09:59:53 PM »

Ok, I'm a bit skeptical here. 

1. Did you have this contract looked at by a lawyer?

2. Is all of your communication via email?  If you have talked to them verbally who are you talking to?

3. What ID are you send them?  Are we talking about scanned and faxed docs? Drivers License etc.

You have to be careful man.  When they ask for your bloody routing # and account # to "deposit" your first check they could be also taking all your money out with the correct information.  It could be perfectly legit but you have to be super careful because ID theft and stuff can ruin your life.  I wouldnt be heartened that they answer your emails promptly because many crooks are quite diligent and hard working too.

I just find it odd that any company would hire management without a face to face meeting.  If this company can't afford to fly you out there to Australia or have them fly to OKC- What does that say about their financial viability.  8k or so shouldnt be too much money to invest on a new hire.  At the very least request a meeting via Skype to meet some of the highers ups of this company.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »

I wouldn't quit your job at the other place until you have been fully trained and get the first paycheck.  I am skeptical about this as well.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »

Wait, you weren't even interviewed? This is worse than i thought.... Definitely don't quit your job at Ok Natty Gas until you're positive this is real.

I echo Meeker. I don't see this thread ending well. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 11:45:55 PM »

Ok, Inspired by watching Sherloke Holmes I'm pretty much 100% sure this is a scam of some sort.

1.  No Hoover's information- I once worked at a company with like 6 people and they are on there

2. No linkedin information that I could find. They also weren't on career builders.

3. website seems to be of a new vintage if I'm tracking it right June 1, 2010 or that could be date of ownership privacy protection.  Company also protects themselves from internet archiving.

4. Website really is management and techno jargon.  The client list is dodgy, intentionally vague- look to be a couple of fake companies thrown in there.

5. On the website they have listed a 23 Waymouth Street.  ANZ building occupies 11 thru 29 Waymouth Street.  I don't see them listed as tenants in any search at all. 

I could be wrong, but Okie I just hope you didnt give them too information. 

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »

I have to echo Patrick's concern.  And thanks for doing all that factfinding!

BushOk... you might close your checking account and open a new one tomorrow if you want to be safe.  Or remove all money except a small amount and see what happens.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »

Wait, you weren't even interviewed? This is worse than i thought.... Definitely don't quit your job at Ok Natty Gas until you're positive this is real.

I echo Meeker. I don't see this thread ending well. 

WOW!  Even for jobs that pay far less, you can be put through the ringer with interviews.  Well, let's just say NORMALLY put through the ringer.  Hell and as patrick1 said- no LinkedIN, not Hoover's info.  Those are MAJOR red flags for me.  I concur with Snowguy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »

After all that I really hope you didn't quit your job. This smells like a scam to the max.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »

Oh, BushOK ... be careful here. I echo the other sentiments that are cautioning you about jumping into this one. You didn't even know where they were based as of a few days ago, confusing http://www.on.co.nz/ with http://www.on-company.com/. Are they one in the same? Is one a subsidiary of the other?

I'll be honest ... I'm a vice president of a web-development firm, and I would never hire you or anyone else for an "assistant manager" position (whatever that means) without having had extensive over-the-phone and on-site meetings. That would be for my benefit and comfort-level as well as yours.

So here are a few questions, and if you haven't done so already, you really, really need to get them answered:

- What is an "assistant manager?" What is the job description, the day-to-day expectations, your short-term and long-term goals and your expected workload?

- Who will you be working with and will you be expected to manage any staff? In what piece of the company will you be operating (sales, marketing, operations, development, etc.)?

- What exactly does this company do? The two URLs I posted above show varying expertises ... web design, custom development, a variety of web-applications, etc. It's not that a single company can't do this, but it's best that you have an idea of what their true strength is before jumping in.

- What do you bring to the table? In other words, why are they interested in you?

- Why doesn't a web-design company's website look better? Why does it return so many errors and warnings when run through a W3C validation checker? (This is not really a big deal, but it would be comforting if they could give you a realistic explanation of why their home pages return very messy validation when they're supposed coding experts.)

- How large is their client base? What is their average and expected annual revenue? Are they profitable?

And I could go on ... but I think a lot of the other concerns, particularly those about your bank account, have already been covered. In other words, this is as much your opportunity to interview them as it is for them to interview you ... and it sounds to me like they've done a lousy job of interviewing you to this point. Plus, Patrick has incredibly valid concerns.

Don't jump into this based on faith, my friend. Be smart about it and make them prove themselves to you. They're offering a good chunk of salary for a remote employee with little-to-no management credentials or experience beyond education ... that's rare, and it makes me skeptical. You ought to be skeptical, too.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:36 AM »

I agree, run far far away.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »

The New Zealand one seems to be legit and they even have a picture of their headquarters on the website. The Australian one is sketchy as hell though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies