Nate Bashes Rassy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:30:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process
  Polling (Moderator: muon2)
  Nate Bashes Rassy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nate Bashes Rassy  (Read 5695 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/07/is-poll-scientific-if-it-excludes-more.html

They don't elect to do these things, however, because it's not in their business model. In other words ... because they're cheap. That's not meant to be an ad hominem: it's the only way to accurately describe the problem.

Maybe Rasmussen's polling will happen to produce the right results in spite of all this. Historically, in fact, it's been about average -- a little better than average, actually, on balance. In the long-run, though, I think it's going to get them into some trouble, particularly as some of these issues -- fewer and fewer Americans have landlines each year -- are continuing to get worse.

But this discussion shouldn't be about the results that Rasmussen produces, either past, present or future. It should be about the state of the polling industry as a whole, an industry which is increasingly becoming a race to the bottom, and Rasmussen plays a big part in that.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »

unrelated:

http://wonkette.com/416825/ooh-let-nate-silver-be-part-of-the-controversy-let-nate-silver-be-part-of-the-controversy
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:21:38 PM »

Oh, yawn, the "but what about cell phones" thing again?

I think the no-call-backs & single-day bits are relevant too, no?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »

I'm not sure what same day polling would do to introduce game-changing error -- and would certainly not be something visible in their daily tracking poll.

Sorry for the cheapness of my response (at work) -- but I don't think Silver is arguing that Rasmussen is producing game-changing error. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

Valid points all....what am I supposed to say? 

I think it's a good read, even if you end up disagreeing with it Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies