Should voting be mandatory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:31:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should voting be mandatory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Should voting be mandatory?  (Read 12381 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:12 PM »

Yes. That way people won't be able to complain about what their govt. does. And Australia and some other countries actually have compulsory voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »

Yes. That way people won't be able to complain about what their govt. does. And Australia and some other countries actually have compulsory voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting
Since when is being able to criticize your government a bad thing?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »

I don't want people who don't give a damn about who holds what office to vote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »

HELL NO!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »

No.  Most of the people who do not vote choose not to, either because the options don't suit them, or because they can't make it on election day, or they just don't give a sh-t, or because they're just retarded.  In the case of college kids, a combination of the last two.  The right to vote includes the right not to vote.

Taking steps to eliminate voter apathy would be a much better solution.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place. Also, there should be an "Abstention" option on the ballot.

Why should people be forced to wreck an entire day of their lives to take part in a meaningless exercise in futility? Life is too short to waste it waiting on line at the polling place.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:36:59 AM »

Why should people be forced to wreck an entire day of their lives to take part in a meaningless exercise in futility? Life is too short to waste it waiting on line at the polling place.

That's possible the most ridiculous argument against voting I've ever heard in my life. Please, Libertas, you can do better then that.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »

That's possible the most ridiculous argument against voting I've ever heard in my life. Please, Libertas, you can do better then that.

Um, you've never voted, or you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

If it weren't for absentee balloting, I wouldn't have even voted in 2008.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »

Actually, I've been to a voting precinct on election day several times. I've also voted three times via absentee ballot. Granted, those were all assisting other members of my family.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »

Actually, I've been to a voting precinct on election day several times. I've also voted three times via absentee ballot. Granted, those were all assisting other members of my family.

Finding time on a school/work day to go stand in line to take part in something that's essentially meaningless is not really conducive to most people's lives.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 01:06:28 AM »

Rather than forcing people to vote, how about the partisan duopoly doesn't offer sh**tty candidates that discourage voter turnout?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »

You should at least be required to show up at the polling place.

What exactly is the point in that?  How is being forced to show up at the polling place any different from being forced to vote?  That's just absurd.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »

I'm not going to respond any further in this thread seeing as I'll get the same recycled "answers". 
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:25:43 AM »

I'm not going to respond any further in this thread seeing as I'll get the same recycled "answers". 

Well you never successfully refuted my answer in the first place....

As Morgan said, the idea of forcing people to show up at a polling place is utterly pointless.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 03:11:08 AM »

There is far more merit in dealing with the issues and causes of low turnout than forcing people to vote regardless. It does nothing. The political discourse in Australia and Belgium is no more or less deep, wide, advanced or mature because of compulsory voting.

"Hammer to walnut interfacing" is no fix to the democractic deficit in western countries.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »

Why should people be forced to wreck an entire day of their lives to take part in a meaningless exercise in futility?
Only in fascist hellholes does voting take more than a couple of minutes.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »

Why should people be forced to wreck an entire day of their lives to take part in a meaningless exercise in futility?

Maybe if you live next door to the polling place, there's no line to vote, no problems with your registration, and you have no job/school to be at. But it can be a serious inconvenience for most people.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 04:45:22 AM »

Maybe if you live next door to the polling place, there's no line to vote, no problems with your registration, and you have no job/school to be at. But it can be a serious inconvenience for most people.
In this country, I've never seen anybody wait more than ten minutes, and waiting at all is rare except for an hour after lunch. It's all a question of how you organize your elections. Letting people vote on all sorts of offices that have no reason to be elective is obviously going to slow voting down, not having enough polling places is obviously going to slow voting down, using machines instead of paper is obviously going to slow voting down, holding elections on days when most people have to work is obviously creating inconvenience just for the sake of inconvenience. Doing all of the above is... just... well, it does make you wonder sometimes whether the purpose is to abolish elections by the backdoor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 05:03:44 AM »

There is no conceivable reason why somebody should be forced to show up to cast a blank ballot & no good reason why somebody who knows nothing about politics & couldn't care less about the political process should be forced to show up at all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »

Yes. It's shameful to see people abdicating their power to decide for their country's destiny.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 05:52:52 AM »

Yes. It's shameful to see people abdicating their power to decide for their country's destiny.

so naturally your answer is to make People do what YOU think they should....wonderful.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »

so naturally your answer is to make People do what YOU think they should....wonderful.

I want more people to take part in elections. I don't want to FORCE them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »

It is shameful to see *cough* certain types of political persuasion banking on low turnout from people unlikely to vote for *them*.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 06:08:11 AM »

Yes, I think voting is a duty when you have the chance to live in a country with universal suffrage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies