Open Topic....2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Open Topic....2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Open Topic....2008  (Read 16545 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:21:50 PM »

Until we get a good few years into the next....(expletive)...Bush presidency, Atlas Forum will not have a 2008 board for a while. Now- let's be realistic. Both Dems and Reps will have to field a fresh new candidate in 4 years time....with the motion set in just 3 years time. Who will run, who do you want to run? And what about independents? My signature picture gives my choice away...Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 02:32:33 PM »

I want a very popular and well known business man, perferrably on an independent or 3rd party ticket.  I haven't scouted out the field yet, but I have some ideas (and no, not Donald Trump or Bill Gates).  We need someone with proven business experience, especially in the executive levels, to streamline our nation and make it extremely competitive in the global market.  This includes cutting unnecessary expenses as well as boosting our income (foreign investments).

I say I want him/her on the independent or 3rd party ticket just so he/she won't be a part of the typical partisan BS that goes on. 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 02:38:02 PM »

Yeesh...a little early, eh?  I remember right after Al Gore conceded in 2000 that commentators immediately began talking about who was going to run in 2004.  John Kerry was nowhere on their radars.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »

This is important for the Libertarian and the other 3rd parties.  They must start forming and advertising by June 2005 if they are to get some serious coverage in 2008.

Add onto that the fact that all the 3rd parties need to combine together and petition for campaign reform to allow the dominant 3rd parties access to and consideration for the 2008 campaign events/coverage.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:53:50 PM »

This is important for the Libertarian and the other 3rd parties.  They must start forming and advertising by June 2005 if they are to get some serious coverage in 2008.

Add onto that the fact that all the 3rd parties need to combine together and petition for campaign reform to allow the dominant 3rd parties access to and consideration for the 2008 campaign events/coverage.

Fielding some good candidates for the House in 2006 would help immensely.  Even if your men don't win, if they are competitive they'll bring the Libertarians coverage.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 03:01:04 PM »

There are days where I consider signing up as a Libertarian (even though they do not match my ideals) just to increase their "base" so they have more muscle to force themselves into the 2-party dominated environment.  My cousin has, and campaigns in NC as a Libertarian (though he has yet to win).
NHPolitico

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:10:49 PM »

Well, I pegged Craig Benson for '08, but he pulled a Barnes and lost.

So,

Pawlenty-Rounds '08!

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »

Well, I pegged Craig Benson for '08, but he pulled a Barnes and lost.

So,

Pawlenty-Rounds '08!

I've looked into Pawlenty a bit and he seems alright. I don't think he'll run though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 05:09:39 PM »

LIKELY RUNNERS

George Pataki
Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney

TICKET I WANT::::

Giuliani/Rice
njsketch
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 05:33:27 PM »

I have to admit, the Republicans may field a conservtive governor from Massachusettes for 2008...Mitt Romney looks quite appealing.

I would also add Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki and Chuck Hagel also look to be formidable.

What will be so exciting is the open primaries at the same time.  No incumbents, even playing field and no 'Rose Garden' Strategy.

I have to say, from the way things look now, the Republicans have a much stronger field of candidates than Democrats.

On the Dem side, I would say Hillary is the top choice as of now, but who knows what happens in the future.  She still has a Senate run in 2006, and with stiff opposition (if there is), will she want to run again on the heels of a Senate campaign?  Other Democrats come to mind, but they don't seem to have a broad appeal..Evan Bayh, John Edwards and perhaps Howard Dean again.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 06:31:26 PM »

I think the Democrats in 2008 will be better than in 2004. Ed Rendell of Pennslyvania would be interesting, and I really think Bill Richardson is their best chance to win Florida, aside from running Nelson.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 07:21:29 PM »

The best thing that the parties can do in 2008 is move to the center, there is no doubt about that.

The GOP should nominate someone along the line of Governor Romney, Senator Hagel, Governor Pataki, Mayor Giuliani(who of course is least likely to get the nomination out of these).

The Democrats should move into the south east and midwest and nominate people like Senator Bayh, Governor Warner, Governor Richardson and perhaps even Vilsak.

Of course none of this matters now, it's not like the day after 2000 we knew Kerry was the '04 nominee.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »

The midterm elections are key for many of our prospective candidates...if Hillary loses to, say, Rudy in '06, her chances are getting the nomination are slim [as much as I might like to draw the 1858 IL Senate comparison].

Republican Candidates:

Rudy--especially if he takes Clinton's senate seat, he's a very strong possibility.  However, his views are not in line with the base of the Republican party, which is doing the voting.  However, since he is so universally loved, it will be hard for any other candidate to attack him, so it's going to take some expendable candidate to throw the first punch.

Pataki--will be up for re-election as governor in '06.  (Nice, exciting election season for me in two years...).  Whether he'll run for a fourth term (against Spitzer, presumably), or bow out in order to organize a campaign of his own, I can't say.  But he's definitely making a bid for it.  Again, like Rudy, he's a bit liberal in certain areas, which could hurt him.  Not as liberal as Rudy, but I don't think he'll have enough support to take it.  Possibly the Gephardt of 2008.

Frist--definitely making a run for it, but his voice is on par with Lincoln's and he's a cat-killer.  I don't give him much of a chance.

Romney--looks more and more like he'll be making a run for it.  Again, it depends on what happens to him in '06.  He's likely to do well in New Hampshire (for reasons of propinquity).  Perhaps a good compromise candidate.

McCain--very popular amongst independents--not so much among the Bush base.  He'll have a strong showing if he chooses to run, but he will be older than Reagan by the time of his inauguration.  Again, a solid candidate if he chooses to run.

Chuck Hagel--Eh, I don't think so.

Bill Owens--a nice, conservative Governor and Washington outsider.  Depending on how things go the next four years, he could be a good candidate--if he can overcome the popularity gap that separates him from Rudy & McCain.  Of course, he also has to win reelection in '06, but I doubt he'll have much of a problem.

Jeb Bush--has supposedly denied an interest in running, but you never know.  Popular governor in a big swing state, attracts Hispanics--he's the perfect candidate, except for his last name.  If he's going to have a shot, he needs to be able to separate himself from his brother and take advantage of the fact that he is actually articulate.  Everyone I've talked to about Jeb says "Ugh.  Another Bush???"--even though they know nothing about Jeb himself.  Could have a better shot if Hillary appears to be the front-runner for the Dems.  But he already has my vote.

Tommy Thompson--a bit of an unknown outside of Wisconsin, he could have a shot at it, depending on what he chooses to do in the '06 elections.  An upper-midwest candidate would pretty much guarantee the Republicans the Little Three.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »

Owens-Giuliani :-)

This could be fun to look back upon and see if anybody gets this right.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 07:39:38 PM »

Erc, I like your analysis except Owens is barred from a 3rd term which would be good because it gives him more time to organize a campaign and increase is visibility in Iowa and New Hampshire.  I think he's the strongest candidate I see right now.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 07:57:58 PM »

My Dream 2008 ticket:

CLINTON-WARNER 2008!
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 02:48:52 AM »

Reps. I would support
McCain-has set himself up at the rnc with unabashed bush support and he gets all misty eyed when asked the question,(hehe i get the local coverage here about it)
Owens-colorado conservative gov with a strong backbone in the state, very similar to bush but without the speech issues
Dole-a longshot due to being a woman, yet she tried in 2000

reps i wouldnt support
Guiliani and Pataki-too liberal on social issues, great leaders, but other reps are great leaders too
Romney-although hes conservative, i just dont know if hes a.ready, b.electable in the south, he doesnt have that same connection

dem i would support over any rep candidate
evan bayh-comes from indiana, and is really conservative for a dem, i used to live in indiana and he really did a good job as governor and is doing a good job reaching across the way in the senate, and kind of bites his lip supporting kerry

dems i wont support-
clinton-shady, but she loves polls and popularity, has centered and hawked herself on national security, i see this as john kerry campaign all over again

richardson-another shady dem, plus the guys creepy when he wears that black judgeish outfit in social outings, do like that western governors are becoming powerful

napalitano-why run for senate when she could make a crack at president, shes (sadly) popular here in az and gets a lot of pro business conservatives on her side
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 03:53:51 AM »

The best thing that the parties can do in 2008 is move to the center, there is no doubt about that.

The GOP should nominate someone along the line of Governor Romney, Senator Hagel, Governor Pataki, Mayor Giuliani(who of course is least likely to get the nomination out of these).

The Democrats should move into the south east and midwest and nominate people like Senator Bayh, Governor Warner, Governor Richardson and perhaps even Vilsak.

Amen...

America would be a better place if the likes of Bayh, Pataki, Warner, Hagel, Lieberman etc… lead their respective party’s it might bring an end to the bitter partisanship that been a feature of American politics sine the late 1980’s.

Sadly I’m pretty certain that Dean will throw himself into the nomination battle an while he’ll probably lose he’ll force the other candidates to do little more than hurl abuse at the Republicans.. the same is possible with the likely entry of Rick Santorum into the GOP nomination battle…. [sighs… gets up from his computer and walks out of the house and into the fall countryside where there might as well have never been any presidential election].       
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 12:51:43 PM »

With the defeat of Kerry, Tradesports has now opened betting on the Democratic nomination.

The candidates include the obvious field:

Hillary
Dean
Edwards
Gore
Richardson (he's up for reelection in 06, right?)
Obama (although I don't think he'll make a bid)

Plus a couple names which I haven't seen thrown around yet:

Wesley Clark (I assumed his political career had a lifespan of eight months)--unless foreign policy becomes even more important, I don't think he'll have a chance.  Or run.

Lieberman (after the trouncing in '04, you wouldn't think he'd come back.  But you never know...he could be the flag-bearer of the conservative wing if Warner doesn't run and Edwards self-destructs).

Pat Leahy--the Democratic Party will likely give him much the same response Cheney did.
Chris Dodd--if he can't become Minority leader...

Republican candidates there that haven't been discussed yet (well, at least by me):

Powell:  He ain't gonna last the whole term, let alone run for President.  '96 was the year for Powell, had he wanted to.

Senator George Allen, VA:  Interesting only if the Democrats pick Warner...

Tom Ridge:  In a dead-end job.

Schwarzenegger:  I doubt that enough Democrats in the House and senate would allow the Ahnuld Amendment to pass--and even then it's not likely to get through in time.  Plus many Republican senators may oppose on the grounds they'd rather not have Arnold as President.

Maybe in 2012...

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 12:53:55 PM »

Please. We've just finished the last one and you're talking about the next.

I'll seriously focus on 2008 once we get past the mid-terms.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »

Allen vs Warner . . . VA all over again!  Smiley

I don't think Allen will be able to run on the "End the car tax" platform this time though.  Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 01:42:27 PM »

Lincoln/Rendell 08!

ThSneak

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would be willing to bet serious money that not only will Guiliani run, but that he will change his position on abortion within the next four years.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 06:50:24 PM »

How  conservative can Mitt Romney be in Massachusetts to get elected
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 07:19:37 PM »

We could use a northeastern Republican. We can't get locked into this red state, blue state crap.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies