Changing lives of George Wallace, Jim Folsom, John Patterson and U.S. history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Changing lives of George Wallace, Jim Folsom, John Patterson and U.S. history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Should I continue?
Yes

Cut the crap off now, son

tl;dr

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Changing lives of George Wallace, Jim Folsom, John Patterson and U.S. history  (Read 38893 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »

Since very beginning, Vice President Church appeared to be a solid frontrunner to replace retiring Folsom at the top of a ticket.

Concentrated on foreign affairs, Church was not associated with various Folsom controversies, yet maintained his position as a powerful insider within the administration. A veteran former Senator, considered, along with Secretary of State Scranton, to be a main architect of the administration's achievements abroad, Church had one more key advantage: a political geography. Due to his popularity in normally GOP-leaning West, he bring several states to Folsom column in 1972, including his home state of Idaho, an usual Republican stronghold. 

Vice President Frank Church (D-ID)

Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, a driving force, along with John Patterson, behind the universal health care introduction and an heir to the Camelot traditions was another possibility. However, his image was still to recover from the Chappaquiddick incident of 1969. Beside, he enjoyed a good working relationship with Church. Indeed, as early as 1975, Kennedy announced he would not seek the Presidency.

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:58 PM »

He repented.  He was a prick who agitated the anti-civil rights movement, but there was good in him, as he proved in appointing more blacks to any cabinet position than any other governor ever.  He repented.  If only he had done it sooner, although it does prove that there is good in everyone.  Even Americans Wink
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

Awesome, it's back! Smiley

From what I had read, I always pictured Church to be the type to "go rogue" and make the campaign about himself. So, it's appropriate that he would be more than some caretaker.

Keep up the good work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

Any GOP pissibilities emerging?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

I'm currently thinking about GOP possible candidates. Maybe some suggestions?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

I'm currently thinking about GOP possible candidates. Maybe some suggestions?

Looking at the '72 GOP primaries (which I'd like to make a map for), Tower could be a good compromise candidate. Reagan obviously will be considered. Maybe Rlliot Richardson (probably MA Governor by now) could run as an NE establshment moderate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »

The first Republican to declare his presidential ambitions as early as mid-1974 was no one else, than defeated 1972 vice presidential nominee, former Governor of Ohio Jim Rhodes.

Although labeled my many as an unelectable conservative extremist and, thus, blamed for damaging Baker's chances the last time, Rhodes won an admiration of the conservative grassroots. The sentiments within GOP base indeed turned more right-wing, since many activists, that made their mark during Goldwater's campaign and now controlled a large part of the machine, felt their lost because "another damn moderate was nominated". Rhodes chances were as higher as his patron, former Governor Ronald Reagan of California, announced he'll retire from politics altogether, after being defeated for third term.

Former Governor Jim Rhodes (R-OH)

Another early possibility was Senator John Tower of Texas. Tower could appeal to both wings of the GOP: largely acceptable for conservatives due to his voting record and geographic base, yet not far-right enough to scare moderates off. An image of experienced Senator was doing wonders. Yet Tower was visibly reluctant to risk his capital by running.

Senator John Tower (R-TX)

Finally, one more Republican was openly exploring an idea of running for President. Governor Elliot Richardson of Massachusetts, a moderate just re-elected to his second term in a normally Democratic state.

Governor Elliot Richardson (R-MA)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2012, 06:56:14 PM by Charles Barton, Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario »

I'm glad to see this come back.

He repented.  He was a prick who agitated the anti-civil rights movement, but there was good in him, as he proved in appointing more blacks to any cabinet position than any other governor ever.  He repented.  If only he had done it sooner, although it does prove that there is good in everyone.  Even Americans Wink

Meh, repent or no repent, he was a political opportunist who adopted horrible positions in order to advance his political career. I have little sympathy for him. That said, ITTL, I like seeing him become moderately successful in non-political endeavors. I might even root for him if he decides to make a comeback later on.

LMAO. Nice typo. Wink + Tongue

Looking at the '72 GOP primaries (which I'd like to make a map for), Tower could be a good compromise candidate. Reagan obviously will be considered. Maybe Rlliot Richardson (probably MA Governor by now) could run as an NE establshment moderate.

All of these are good possibilities, but I still like your earlier suggestion of Hatfield.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

I was typing it on my ipod's keyboard. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All of these are good possibilities, but I still like your earlier suggestion of Hatfield.

[/quote]

I actually had to go back a few pages to see that I had in fact suggested Hatfield earlier. Hmm... He could make the primaries quite interesting.

@Kal: What's George Bush doing as of now?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »

I forgot all about this. Now I'd like to finally finish it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies