Congress of the Confederation - Game thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:20:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Congress of the Confederation - Game thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress of the Confederation - Game thread  (Read 7363 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: July 29, 2010, 10:20:20 PM »

The United States of America

START YEAR: 1990

Capital City: Philadephia, Pennsylvania

Form of Government: A loose confederation between 13 states

The United States is a loose confederation between 13 states, which exercise wide sovergnity in domestic affairs and are sometimes able to conduct separate dealings among themselves.

The defense and foreign policy are common, but it’s alaways painfully hard to come up with an agreement. For example, in 1942 it took over a year of fighting Southern Bloc opposition to the joining an Allies in the World War II.

The United States doesn’t have a standing army, but has a standing officer corps and organization that can allow to group various state militias into one force if called into service.

The only federal institution is the Congress, where each state has one vote. The President of the Congress is a ceremonial head of state, although no true executive branch exists. The President does, however, have great power when it comes to brining bill to a vote, and committee dealings.

The problems United States are facing include: The Nortweastern Territory (without statehood and many rights since as early as 1780s, with growing anger). Also, Maine citizens (a part of Massachusetts) is demanding statehood as well.

Regarding the parts of OTL US:

Vermont remains an independent Republic.

California, Oregon and Washington are the Pacific Republic.

Texas (extended) is a Republic as well.

Former French Louisiana is, since 1945, known as The Republic of Louisiana and is a member of the French Community.

After World War II, the European Community took the RL place of the USSR as one of the two global superpowers, along with the USSR.

My thanks to Kalwejt for writing this. Wink

A summary of the problems with the Congress:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Thank you, Dr. Cynic Wink

Rules:

-Always speak in character in the game thread. All out of character discussion should be brought to the "sign up" thread.
-Write your posts as if the head of your state's delegation was speaking. Indicate any physical actions by using asterisks, parenthesis, italics, etc. I will also play the part of "Secretary" when reading the titles of bills, etc.
-You have the power to introduce legislation. When doing this, write a post containing the bill's name, and it's "full title", which should serve as its subject. Make this post in the game thread with "Legislation introduction" at the top. Legislation may not be debated until called forth by the President.
-Remember, tempers are usually strained in the Congress, so don't be afraid to "slander" your fellow members. Atlas forum rules still apply. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2010, 10:58:26 PM by Assemblyman Barnes »

November 5, 1990

*Bangs gavel*

This new session of the Congress of the United States is now meeting.

The secretary will ascertain the names of the delegates representing each state.

*Several minutes pass*

The state of New Hampshire has failed to return delegates to this Congress.

The first order of business is the "Republic of Louisiana Trade Act." The Secretary shall read the title.

Secretary: An act to establish free and unrestricted trade with the Republic of Louisiana, and for other purposes."

Debate shall now commence.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »

*Stands and walks to the fore*

Mr. President, if I may...

New Jersey's commercial and shipping interests strongly support the opening of trade with Louisiana's markets. However, we wish to ask whether or not this will entail a free trade agreement with France as well?

Sir,

It is the understanding of the chair that this Act would include, at least, "indirect" trade with France. Seeing as Louisiana is a member of the French Community.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »

Sir,

I believe that is a matter for the French government to decide.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »

Members of Congress,

I bring important news! The state of New Hampshire has elected delegates to this Congress, and they are currently traveling to Philadelphia, as we speak, to be sworn in!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

Gentlemen, there is now a vote on the following Amendment.

Those in favor vote Aye; those opposed, Nay.

*You also may abstain*

Amendment to propose.

1. Except for French chemical industry products
2. New York and Delaware gets new investments

This shall be a 24 hour vote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »

The amendment has failed. Regular debate recommences.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »

To the Governor of Delaware:

Dear Sir,

Writing on behalf of the Congress of the Confederation, I must inform you of the deep sadness we have at your recent recall of your state's delegates.  It is the opinion of this Congress that all thirteen of our great states must stay united in our "firm league of friendship" that has held this confederation together for two centuries.

I urge you to reissue your delegates, so as to preserve the unity of our great nation.

Yours,

x Benedict Barnes

President of the United States, in Congress Assembled

*NOTE: Kal, you can respond to this, as a Delegate*
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »

I've been rather busy lately, and I don't feel all that well right no.w How about we take a few days break, ok? Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies