The 2 term presidents club
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:05:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  The 2 term presidents club
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which (post-WWI) 2-term president was the best campaigner?
Dwight Eisenhower

Richard Nixon

Ronald Reagan

Bill Clinton

George W. Bush

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: The 2 term presidents club  (Read 6857 times)
DanimalBr

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2004, 02:35:13 AM »
« edited: November 04, 2004, 02:45:53 AM by DanimalBr »

Well, George W. Bush now enters an elite club.  This being the club of presidents who have been elected to two terms.  Now getting elected once is hard enough, but getting elected twice is very difficult as Jimmy Carter and President Bush's father can tell you.  After being watched by the nation for 4 years, your political opponet has had plenty of time to observe you and all your faults and weaknesses.  Also the opposing party is often quite anxious to defeat a sitting president.  So in order to become a 2 termer, you obviously either have to be a good campaigner or have a great staff around you.  So just going on campaigning alone, which 2 term president of the last 70 years has been the best campaigner?

Note:  I am not including Harry Truman in this poll.  Cause he was actually only elected once himself in 1948, even though he did serve the majority of FDRs fourth elected term.

Update:  That should say post WWII in the poll question.   
DanimalBr

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:51:44 AM »

bttt
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 07:03:17 AM »

Bush should not have won 3 out of his 4 winning races-- 1994, 2000, and 2004. You have to give him the trophy for best campaigner. No one overachieved like he did.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 08:11:02 AM »

Reagan.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 08:23:35 AM »

Clinton, hands down.
DanimalBr

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 10:27:38 AM »

I'm surprised that nobody has voted Nixon yet.  I didn't expect Eisenhower to get that much as he ran during the peaceful and prosperous era of the 1950s. .   Nixon did come back and win the Presidency in 1968 after he lost in 1960.  Then went on to a landslide in 1972 and earned the nickname "Tricky Dick" along the wall.  Reagan was known as a great communicator and went on to two of the biggest walk a way victories in history.   Clinton was definently slick Willy and knew how to communicate.  George W. Bush overcame very difficult odds in all of his wins. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »

I voted for Clinton.  Bush has learned the the lessons that Clinton taught.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 10:42:19 AM »

I just like that line.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 10:59:36 AM »

I've never said that Clinton wasn't a brilliant campaigner.  And I will note that there are a few offices where I have never voted Republican.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 11:12:05 AM »

Bubba.  no contest!
pollwatch99-a
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 12:25:06 PM »

It is Bush hands down.  "W" is not very articulate and blew the debates.  He was running during a period of an unpopular war, marginal economy, a divided country, and a generally hostile news media.

He won the Popular vote, electoral college and motivated a record turnout for his supporters.  The mark of a great campaigner is overcoming obstacles and turning out your vote.  "W" hands down.

DanimalBr

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 01:05:20 PM »

It is Bush hands down.  "W" is not very articulate and blew the debates.  He was running during a period of an unpopular war, marginal economy, a divided country, and a generally hostile news media.

He won the Popular vote, electoral college and motivated a record turnout for his supporters.  The mark of a great campaigner is overcoming obstacles and turning out your vote.  "W" hands down.

I agree.  I had a hard time picking between Reagan and Bush.  Reagan was the great communicator.  He battled the press too and his 1984 49 state landslide shows how great he is.  However, even Reagan didn't face the kind of onsluaught Bush got from the MSM, Michael Moore, Hollywood, and everything else.  Bush wasn't just battling Kerry.  He was battling all those too.  That's why I picked him.  Although it was hard to go against Regan.  I won't deny that Clinton was certainly a great campaigner as well.  The problem I have is he had it really easy in 1996.  The press was on his side as well as the Republicans put up a candidate, who while a good an honorable man was not a good candidate.  It was just that it was Bob Dole's turn. 
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 02:03:18 PM by TheGiantSaguaro »

Wow, tough choice. I think they each have their strong points. The thing I'll say about Bush is that I think he's highly intuitive and I think he's very mistakenly thought to be stupid by mainly the left. They just don't understand this guy and it's eveident. I don't think he's like much that they've faced before. When Bush attacks, it's an onslaught, it's sudden, it doesn't relent, it targets the opponent where the opponent is weakest and then spreads to other weak areas, and it's very effective. At the same time, it all-out invigorates his base. He brought out GOP voters like no other GOP President.

And it was tight - the left was absolutely united against him. They certainly weren't this united against Reagan and the right certainly wasn't this united against Clinton. The left was utterly dead set on removing Bush, and they did not do it, and against all of this Bush still hit 51% in the PV. The media attacks on Bush and the negative light in which he was cast were ridiculous. Kerry was placed in a very positive light. I think Bush does an outstanding job of coming across as a sleeves-up honest cowboy that's the last one you can count on to be there to cover your back. That strikes a chord with people to say the least in the post 9/11 world. So while I'm not necessarily saying he's the best campaigner, he deserves very much to be mentioned with the other people on this list. Bush is vastly underrated. I think he'll be looked back on, though, as not only an excellent President but an outstanding campaigner.

If nothing else, Bush has proven to have "coattails" in 2002 and 2004 with Congressional races, which is very rare in general and is almost unheard of for GOP Presidents.
DanimalBr

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 01:48:49 PM »

Wow, tough choice. I think they each have their strong points. The thing I'll say about Bush is that I think he's highly intuitive and I think he's very mistakenly thought to be stupid by mainly the left. They just don't understand this guy and it's eveident. I don't think he's like much that they've faced before. When Bush attacks, it's an onslaught, it's sudden, it doesn't relent, it targets the opponent where the opponent is weakest and then spreads to other weak areas, and it's very effective. At the same time, it all-out invigorates his base. He brought out GOP voters like no other GOP President.

And it was tight - the left was absolutely united against him. They certainly weren't this united against Reagan and the right certainly wasn't this united against Clinton. The left was utterly dead set on removing Bush, and they did not do it, and against all of this Bush still hit 51% in the PV. The media attacks on Bush and the negative light in which he was cast was ridiculous. Kerry was placed in a very positive light. I think Bush does an outstanding job of coming across as a sleeves-up honest cowboy that's the last one you can count on to be there to cover your back. That strikes a chord with people to say the least in the post 9/11 world. So while I'm not necessarily saying he's the best campaigner, he deserves very much to be mentioned with the other people on this list. Bush is vastly underrated. I think he'll be looked back on, though, as not only an excellent President but an outstanding campaigner.

If nothing else, Bush has proven to have "coattails" in 2002 and 2004 with Congressional races, which is very rare in general and is almost unheard of for GOP Presidents.

I totally 100 percent agree with everything you said.  Republicans seem to have such a strong and loving affection for Bush.  I'm not even sure if Reagan had this much GOP support.   The fact that GOP has expanded it's lead in Congress like never before by riding Bush coattails shows this.  And I'm guessing this is why the left hates him so much. 
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 01:54:12 PM »

As a  pure campaigner Clinton & Reagan were pretty close.

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 01:56:36 PM »

Bush got 93.4% support from self Identified Republicans according to exit polls.

Reagan got 92.7% in 1984 according to exit polls.
DanimalBr

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 01:56:53 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 04:30:46 PM by DanimalBr »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!   Vorlon, I was hoping you would bring your political expertise into this discussion.  Smiley
DanimalBr

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 04:30:16 PM »

As a  pure campaigner Clinton & Reagan were pretty close.

Vorlon,

Let me ask you a hypothetical question.  If you had Clinton running against Reagan, when Reagan was in his prime, who do you think would win?
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 04:33:53 PM »

i think that Reagan was probably the best campaigner, but Clinton's a close-second.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »

hahaha . . . love the graphic, Reignman.
DanimalBr

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2004, 12:15:22 AM »

Interesting, still no votes for Ike or Nixon.   I guess most people on the board were probably not even born yet when Ike was Pres, and Nixon forever tarnished any compliment he might get as a good campaigner due to watergate
DanimalBr

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 11:41:30 AM »

Bush should not have won 3 out of his 4 winning races-- 1994, 2000, and 2004. You have to give him the trophy for best campaigner. No one overachieved like he did.

You don't think he should have won in 94 against Ann Richards for Texas Govenor?
DanimalBr

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 06:09:39 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/blog_11_9_04_1030.html
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 06:58:27 PM »

You don't think he should have won in 94 against Ann Richards for Texas Govenor?

I sure don't.  Many people look on that as an accidental election; not that the voters didn't mean to vote for him, but Ann Richards was pretty popular.  Bush overcame, though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 11:05:48 PM »

Nixon!!!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length