The 2 term presidents club (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:50:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  The 2 term presidents club (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which (post-WWI) 2-term president was the best campaigner?
Dwight Eisenhower

Richard Nixon

Ronald Reagan

Bill Clinton

George W. Bush

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: The 2 term presidents club  (Read 7033 times)
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« on: November 04, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2004, 02:03:18 PM by TheGiantSaguaro »

Wow, tough choice. I think they each have their strong points. The thing I'll say about Bush is that I think he's highly intuitive and I think he's very mistakenly thought to be stupid by mainly the left. They just don't understand this guy and it's eveident. I don't think he's like much that they've faced before. When Bush attacks, it's an onslaught, it's sudden, it doesn't relent, it targets the opponent where the opponent is weakest and then spreads to other weak areas, and it's very effective. At the same time, it all-out invigorates his base. He brought out GOP voters like no other GOP President.

And it was tight - the left was absolutely united against him. They certainly weren't this united against Reagan and the right certainly wasn't this united against Clinton. The left was utterly dead set on removing Bush, and they did not do it, and against all of this Bush still hit 51% in the PV. The media attacks on Bush and the negative light in which he was cast were ridiculous. Kerry was placed in a very positive light. I think Bush does an outstanding job of coming across as a sleeves-up honest cowboy that's the last one you can count on to be there to cover your back. That strikes a chord with people to say the least in the post 9/11 world. So while I'm not necessarily saying he's the best campaigner, he deserves very much to be mentioned with the other people on this list. Bush is vastly underrated. I think he'll be looked back on, though, as not only an excellent President but an outstanding campaigner.

If nothing else, Bush has proven to have "coattails" in 2002 and 2004 with Congressional races, which is very rare in general and is almost unheard of for GOP Presidents.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies