Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:12:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate  (Read 49298 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »

I'm so happy that on one day, one judge was able to make a decision that wasn't based on his/her politcal ideology. This is supposed to be how the system works. I know that liberals have also won key battles through unelected courts as well. Law is supposed to be made by elected officials.

Two judges, actually.  Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts are doing some sort of sitcom-style trading places thing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

"I will be voting against John Roberts' nomination. I do so with considerable reticence. I hope that I am wrong." ~ Barack Obama, 2005.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »

One more thing. Why do people who already have healthcare give a sh*t about those who don't. Why, why!!!!!!!!

Because the uninsured aren't an abstraction, but are usually relatives of the insured?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »

Well now, hold on; I do finish last, but I get a few points...

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

"b.)  Such an analysis suggests that the shared responsibility payment may for constitutional purposes be considered a tax. The payment is not so high that there is really no choice but to buy health insurance; the payment is not limited to willful violations, as penal- ties for unlawful acts often are; and the payment is collected solely by the IRS through the normal means of taxation. Cf. Bailey v. Drexel Furniture Co., 259 U. S. 20, 36–37. None of this is to say that pay- ment is not intended to induce the purchase of health insurance. But the mandate need not be read to declare that failing to do so is un- lawful. Neither the Affordable Care Act nor any other law attaches negative legal consequences to not buying health insurance, beyond requiring a payment to the IRS. And Congress’s choice of language— stating that individuals “shall” obtain insurance or pay a “penalty”— does not require reading §5000A as punishing unlawful conduct."

Isn't this a truism though?  People don't have to follow the law, they can choose a fine or prison sentence instead, depending on the law.

You don't have to get insurance, you can pay the fee...in the same sense as how you don't have to put quarters in the parking meter, you can pay the parking ticket instead.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies