Music Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:59:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339804 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »

This is the place for discussion of music, reviews of albums/EPs/singles, top album/EP/single/whatever lists, concert discussions, current events... everything except for polls and the song you're listening to right now, for which we already have a thread Tongue I will write up my first review soon.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 12:44:49 PM by pretty girls and the burning men »

First off, it might be good if we discussed our music tastes in general.

I first got into music by listening to punk, believe it or not... old Sex Pistols, Ramones, X-Ray Spex etc. songs. From there my tastes panned outwards to include New Wave and other 80s music as well as classic and progressive rock later on when I started listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I also went through a godawful phase of liking musichall. I know. Not good Tongue

Anyway, my current tastes are largely based on my own explorations rather than being based on my parents. My favourite genres of music are jazz, early indie, industrial, folk, grunge, art rock etc. Jazz especially is one of my recent acquisitions - both my parents hate it. In fact, all my relatives are either indifferent or hate it. My stepmum is the only exception to that. But I listened to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and have been hooked ever since.

By indie, I mean the Smiths, the Stone Roses, Neutral Milk Hotel, Verve, Pulp, Oasis... all older bands. I cannot be doing with Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend etc. Tongue

My dislikes are country, metal, pop, gangsta rap and a lot of dance music (That said, I love bands such as Orbital and Leftfield)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.

A - I have a 47 minute long song on my iTunes Tongue
B - Define metal Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

And I still prefer Nirvana to the other three.  About a Girl FTW.

Well, if you look at where the other grunge bands have gone, I guess it becomes more clear where they would have headed. Pearl Jam these days are far more general alternative rock, and I'd say their last grunge album was Vitalogy. Soundgarden are far more metal than they used to be too. Alice in Chains I haven't really heard much of the stuff done recently in their new incarnation, but I doubt they'll ever quite match up to Layne Staley's AiC just because it was pure genius and grunge music at its rawest.

Nirvana certainly weren't mainstream, mind you. No band which did songs like tourette's and Territorial Pissings could be considered mainstream Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »

Metallica have done two good songs, One and Enter Sandman. The rest of their stuff ranges from mediocre to appalling.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

I'm not mainstream! I'M NOT MAINSTREAM!!!! *hides away and listens to Led Zeppelin* D'oh Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »

Punk is better than metal ftr Wink

Dead Kennedys + New York Dolls are my favourite bands in that little genre Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 2:

I've been a NIN fan for quite a while, but I only bought the Ghosts I-IV album today. I'd never really heard much dark ambient music before, but it's actually very good - as Robert Christgau put it, 'mental wallpaper'. Like a soundtrack to a movie or a template for a typical Nine Inch Nails album. Apparently Reznor is planning as second Ghosts album so that shall be fun. Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

Muse are one of the most atrocious bands around at the moment.

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Pftl5CUgs&feature=related

What do you think of this, guys?

I've been investigating 'punk jazz' lately Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »

Prog rock is stuff like Pink Floyd. Long songs, lots of guitar solos etc. Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 05:16:19 AM »

I like that song, it's a good electronic piece. I've been playing it for a while now Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »

Anyone got any recommendations for good blues music?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »

Anyone got any recommendations for good blues music?

Electric, or acoustic?

For acoustic blues, check out Skip James, Son House, Robert Johnson, and Mississippi John Hurt.

The stuff I've liked so far has been acoustic.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »

When I think of "Industrial" music, I think of songs that sound "industrial," i.e. sounds of clanging metal or industrial machinery, or just songs that bring to mind a dirty, industrial wasteland.  That music is awesome.  Most other so-called "Industrial" music, that fits the description of what Earth said, sucks.

So, like Throbbing Gristle?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »

Everyone lumps stuff like Nine Inch Nails into metal though which really irritates me because I hate metal. I listen to stuff like Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden and people claim it is metal. Ugh.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

Everyone lumps stuff like Nine Inch Nails into metal though which really irritates me because I hate metal. I listen to stuff like Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden and people claim it is metal. Ugh.

Soundgarden is pretty much metal dude.Tongue

Maybe nowadays, but Superunknown era? Nah.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 03:28:03 AM »

Industrial isn't always lame dance music though.  I wouldn't consider NIN dance music lol.

I wouldn't consider any of Trent Reznor's music industrial at all.

Debatable, I know alot of rivetheads hate on NIN and Rammstein for being popular Tongue Closest that Nine Inch Nails comes to industrial is the Year Zero album in my opinion.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »

If NIN aren't industrial, what are they?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »

Ftr, Skinny Puppy are better than Nine Inch Nails.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

Ftr, Skinny Puppy are better than Nine Inch Nails.

Yes, Jesus Christ, finally it's been said! Cheers!

Who's laughing now?

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .1 - St Anger was better than Death Magnetic
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .2 - A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .2 - A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)

I don't know anything about this tribute, though I actually find Bitches Brew to be kind of overrated. I prefer In A Silent Way to be honest.

My favourite album ever.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2010, 04:02:17 AM by tiny cities made of ashes »

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jazzrivet/jazzrivets_top_25_albums_of_all_time

My top 25 albums yadda yadda. Hopelessly addicted to alt rock.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jazzrivet/jazzrivets_top_50_albums_of_all_time/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies