Another linguistic question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Another linguistic question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another linguistic question  (Read 4349 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: November 04, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »

This might sound a little weird.

But can you open a tin "towards" the sea? Or "in front of" the sea? Not "against" the sea, I'm sure. I'm looking for the preposition corresponding to the direction in which someone opens a tin, if he/she does it in the direction of the sea.

Do you "open" a tin, btw?

I'm translating a poem, you see. Thanks.
Huh? What? "facing" the sea, maybe? Or do you mean emptying a tin  into the sea?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »

This might sound a little weird.

But can you open a tin "towards" the sea? Or "in front of" the sea? Not "against" the sea, I'm sure. I'm looking for the preposition corresponding to the direction in which someone opens a tin, if he/she does it in the direction of the sea.

Do you "open" a tin, btw?

I'm translating a poem, you see. Thanks.
Huh? What? "facing" the sea, maybe? Or do you mean emptying a tin  into the sea?

What you do with the can is irrelevant. It's the preposition. Not a verb. The direction. Perhaps it's as simple as "in the direction" of the sea. You do something in the direction of the sea. You open a tin in the direction of the sea (at least in this poem). You watch the sunset standing in the direction of the sea. Etc. Not "towards"?
When trying to translate a word, its context is never irrelevant.
You're at the beach, watching the sunset. You're watching the sun set into the Pacific (or whatever) ocean.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies