What do moral values mean to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What do moral values mean to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What do moral values mean to you?  (Read 23424 times)
DFLofMN
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:02:49 PM »

Since this seems to have come up allot with people that voted for president Bush, what are these moral values?  What do they mean to you in a presdient? 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 05:14:27 PM »

Ensuring that all Americans have an equal opportunity to succeed, regardless of their family history or personal history. Ensuring that one's attainment of wealth is in a direct one to one correlation with one's hard work, creativity, ingenuity, and overall contribution to society.

To me, it is extremely immoral to support the interests of big business and the wealthy when they are in opposition to the interests of the vast majority of all others, which is more often than not the case.

So when I think moral values, I think of selflessness, and helping those who are worse off than yourself. Trusting people, and helping them to the fullest extent of your ability--that to me embodies morality.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 05:26:38 PM »

Then you don't believe in property rights.

If I'm a billionaire and I give someone a million dollars, you're going to step in and tell me it's not fair. That of course is absurd. What's not fair is you dishonoring my wealth by telling me I can't spend it as I wish.

The right to property always comes from people.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:26:49 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel morally obliged to protect our natural resources for our children, and for their children
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 05:31:03 PM »

Moral values:
--marriage
--life
--work
--freedom

Kerry doesn't match any of those values.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 05:32:40 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel morally obliged to protect our natural resources for our children, and for their children

Yes, I forgot to mention that one. Protecting the environment for future generations is morally right.

Phillip--I do believe in property rights, but I also believe in an acknowledgement by all of the ways in which we earn more money due to the existence of government. I feel that it is morally right to help others, and to acknowledge that we all make more money due to the help of others, too.

Many government programs make society function more effectively and more efficiently, and thus increase the wealth and prosperity of all.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 05:37:58 PM »

I look at the issue of more values holistically.  Moral values don't really exist as an end in themselves, but to foster the betterment of society.

Strong moral values lead to stronger families, lower crime and ultimately a better economy.  Weak moral values lead ultimately to poverty, a weak family structure and greater human misery.

I think the role of moral values has been seriously distorted.  Those of us who support moral values are called intolerant by people who equate any type of behavior standard with judgment and hate.  These people fail to recognize how high moral values would be of immense benefit in achieving the goals they claim to have.

I think that declining moral values have played a role in widening the gap between rich and poor.  Illegitimacy, broken families, drug use, etc. have trapped many in hopeless poverty and denied educational opportunities to whole classes of children.

Many liberals seem to believe that we can have the type of society that they claim to want without moral values.  This is just not the case.  There should be more of a consensus between conservatives and liberals on the importance of moral values.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 05:40:36 PM »

There should be more of a consensus between conservatives and liberals on the importance of moral values.

There is one.  From what I can see, the disagreement is over what those moral values are, not whether they should exist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 05:52:32 PM »

Building a New Jerusalem
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 05:58:14 PM »

I look at the issue of more values holistically.  Moral values don't really exist as an end in themselves, but to foster the betterment of society.

Strong moral values lead to stronger families, lower crime and ultimately a better economy.  Weak moral values lead ultimately to poverty, a weak family structure and greater human misery.

I think the role of moral values has been seriously distorted.  Those of us who support moral values are called intolerant by people who equate any type of behavior standard with judgment and hate.  These people fail to recognize how high moral values would be of immense benefit in achieving the goals they claim to have.

I think that declining moral values have played a role in widening the gap between rich and poor.  Illegitimacy, broken families, drug use, etc. have trapped many in hopeless poverty and denied educational opportunities to whole classes of children.

Many liberals seem to believe that we can have the type of society that they claim to want without moral values.  This is just not the case.  There should be more of a consensus between conservatives and liberals on the importance of moral values.

Well said. I do agree that strong values are necessary in the betterment of and empowerment of the family, but this requires a combination of economic proactivity as well as a recognition of the importance of responsiblity.

People must be responsible in their decisions, and liberals should stress this more. At the same time, conservatives need to trust the poor to do the right thing when given a fair opportunity, and a failure to do this and a mistrust of those on the bottom of the economic spectrum has led many to be completely unable to succeed due to the nature of our economic system, and thus forced them into crime and poverty.

There is a responsibility on both sides to acknowledge the basic goodness of the other, and to work together to promote both responsibility and social tolerance.
YoMartin
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 06:04:41 PM »

What´s the difference between "strong" and "weak" moral values? Maybe you are you confused with the difference between authoritarian/intolerant values and liberal/tolerant values, but the latter are just as strong (or as weak) as the first. Nobody favours a society without values because that would be impossible, and because that would be a value itself.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »

What´s the difference between "strong" and "weak" moral values? Maybe you are you confused with the difference between authoritarian/intolerant values and liberal/tolerant values, but the latter are just as strong (or as weak) as the first. Nobody favours a society without values because that would be impossible, and because that would be a value itself.

Weak moral values mean that you consider having a child out of wedlock to be as valid a choice as having a child inside marriage, despite what we know about all the financial and psychological disadvantages that children from single-parent homes suffer.

You're right that having no values is a value in itself, and this is the value that many liberals preach.

Liberals often preach individual freedom with socialized responsibility, meaning that people can do whatever they want, and pass the consequences of their actions onto society at large.  This has become the bedrock of modern liberal philosophy.  It will never lead to anything but more problems.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 06:11:08 PM »

Abortion is the Biggest Issue to me. I also think Gay Marrige is about morals. However there are many things more important than that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 06:15:49 PM »

Moral values - ask as many people as you like, but few people will have the exact same definition when you get into the nitty gritty details.

My personal sense of morality comes from two things - a respect for the rights of the individual and a respect for life in general, and the two really intermingle often.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 08:04:14 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 08:20:06 PM by Gabu »

Weak moral values mean that you consider having a child out of wedlock to be as valid a choice as having a child inside marriage, despite what we know about all the financial and psychological disadvantages that children from single-parent homes suffer.

I personally think that you're being way too general in this assertion.  Simply the fact that someone considers having a child out of wedlock to be as fine as having a child inside marriage means that that person has weaker morals than someone who thinks differently?  I was a child born out of wedlock and I grew up in a single-parent home and I turned out just fine.  You have no idea why the person believes this idea, and context is extremely important.  If someone believes that idea because that person doesn't care about the child, then it could be asserted that that person perhaps has weaker morals than others, but only if that was true.

Morals are, on the whole, extremely subjective.  What is perceived as moral today may have not been perceived as moral 500 years ago and may not be perceived as moral 500 years in the future.  Even today, what you regard as moral may not be what someone else regards as moral at this very instant, and there is no real standard to be used to gauge which one is right or wrong, if anyone really is.  Of course, everyone is going to believe that their version is the correct one, but that doesn't mean anything.

You're right that having no values is a value in itself, and this is the value that many liberals preach.

Huh?

Liberals often preach individual freedom with socialized responsibility, meaning that people can do whatever they want, and pass the consequences of their actions onto society at large.  This has become the bedrock of modern liberal philosophy.  It will never lead to anything but more problems.

Not to my knowledge.  It's true that many liberals, including myself, think that a lot of problems people have in the world are at least partly the fault of society and partly out of the individual's hands, but I've never once advocated the position that that gives the individual a free ride.  I very strongly believe in personal responsibility for one's actions.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 08:19:02 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 09:20:30 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

I would agree on the whole, except for "pride".  It's immoral not to be proud?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2004, 09:24:57 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

I wouldn't think so. Pride is a fine thing to have if you ask me, so long as it is pride that can be justified. Arrogance on the other hand...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 09:32:21 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

I wouldn't think so. Pride is a fine thing to have if you ask me, so long as it is pride that can be justified. Arrogance on the other hand...

I'm not saying that pride is a bad thing; I'm just questioning its being listed as a "moral value".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 10:02:22 PM »

Values are totally personal and individual.  I have no business caring about what others preferences are, and they have no business knowing about mine.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 10:52:41 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 10:55:17 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

You need to be proud of your accomplishments and your life.  Believing in yourself is very important morally.  Someone without pride is someone who hates himself.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 10:54:37 PM »

Values are totally personal and individual.  I have no business caring about what others preferences are, and they have no business knowing about mine.

That's a neat value you have.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 11:30:21 PM »

That's a neat value you have.

It can be summed up in the sentiment 'F**K OFF'.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2008, 11:54:09 AM by Bill Diamond »

I want to bring this thread back. I want to go further into the bedrock than this.

Moral Values are the values you personaly hold to be the way you conduct yourself. Now, there are two ways to view this-

- You can't legislate morality because you can't force people to change their beleifs. However, you can legislate ethics and discipline and you could possibly legislate the definition of who is allowed to participate in society.

So instead of thinking of this as a morality issue, I tend to think of this as an enfranchisement/ common good issue. Are outsiders too dangerous to be included or do they add to the collective wisdom of our society and the common good.

So actually, there are several major themes that come up which bring up other themes-

Some questions we need to talk about are:

Is there a common good?
What is the common good?
Who has access to the common good?
Who decides what the common good is?
How do we perpetuate the common good?
What are the goals of perpetuating the common good?
What are the consequences of avoiding the common good?
Are there parts of the common good that conflict?
Could the common good be different?
Can we change the common good?
Would changing the common good be a good thing?
How do we change the common good?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies