Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2017, 02:44:01 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] Print
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 307832 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤
TexArkana
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 22, 2017, 12:52:14 am »
Ignore

The Big Butt Book by Dian Hanson.

"For it is both a great honor, and my righteous duty, to eat that booty" - Abraham Lincoln

Rest in Peace John B. Anderson (1922-2017).
FF. Great sig.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 26, 2017, 07:56:39 am »
Ignore

Die Welt von Gestern.

I've read very mixed reviews about it, saying it's mediocre compared to Ein Mann ohne Eigenschaften, but who has the lifetime to try to read that thing?

Me! Tongue The Man Without Qualities is utterly fantastic and one of my favourite novels.

As for what I'm currently reading, I've been on a bit of a Chaucer binge: Re-reading the Parliament of Fowls (which is so lovely) and right now The Knight's Tale. He's probably underrated today due to the distance of his language (which I admittedly have some trouble scanning, particularly whether to pronounce the Es on the ends of words), which is a shame considering how fluent and musical it can be, and how witty, expansive and humane Chaucer is.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:06:43 am by Statilius the Epicurean »Logged

They who have put out the people's eyes, reproach them of their blindness.
Destroy Your D December
Peebs
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 02, 2017, 07:59:11 pm »
Ignore

Dreadnought (April Daniels, 2017). Danny really hits close to home.

Beet
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 03, 2017, 11:13:32 pm »

The ownerless ruin had, before World War Terminus, been tended and maintained. Here had been the suburbs of San Francisco, a short ride by monorail rapid transit; the entire peninsula had been chattered like a bird tree with life and opinions and complaints, and now the watchful owners had either died or migrated to a colony world. Mostly the former; it had been a costly war despite the valiant predictions of the Pentagon and its smug scientific vassal, the Rand Corporation--which had, in fact, existed not far from this spot. Like the apartment owners, the corporation had departed, evidently for good. No one missed it.
In addition, no one today remembered why the war had come about or who, if anyone, had won. The dust which had contaminated most of the planet's surface had originated in no country, and no one, even the wartime enemy, had planned on it. First, the owls had died. At the time it had seemed almost funny, the fat, fluffy white birds lying here and there, in yards and on streets; coming out no earlier than twilight, as they had while alive, the owls escaped notice. Medieval plagues had manifested themselves in a similar way, in the form of many dead rats. This plague, however, had descended from above.

"Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed [to start a nuclear war]. I won't fail." - Donald J. Trump
HillGoose
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:10 pm »
Ignore

The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy.

I loved Family Happiness and The Death of Ivan Ilyich, so I'm reading this one now.

You were a whip around town, tinted windows down, Alabama bound, Dixieland Delight.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout