Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 10:02:24 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 307799 times)
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
Ignore

wow.  there's a book?  That's disturbing.

Yes.  The movie was made afterwards. Tongue

Gabriel Cáceres

"He who feeds you, controls you." -Thomas Sankara
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »
Ignore

Just picked up Brave New World
GM R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »
Ignore

For school.

Early 2000s Metalcore is back
minionofmidas - supplemental forum account
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2012, 03:38:00 am »
Ignore

Just began Shame by Salman Rushdie. Very entertaining read so far.
Oh yes.

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »
Ignore

Chris Ealham - Anarchism and the City

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (translated by Constance Garnett Sad)

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Averroës
Averroës Nix
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:42 pm »
Ignore

No access to Pevear and Volokhonsky? Or are you feeling masochistic?
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.90

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:37 am »
Ignore

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. It's no Pillars, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a fun read. Just quick and simple, but I like it.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »
Ignore

I would have to buy it

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »
Ignore

I finished my Tolstoy short stories and now I'm about to finish a book called In Praise of Older Women. I made a deal with a female friend that we would recommend and lend each other a book and read until our next encounter. She gave me that, which is a strange Hungarian book chronicling a man's sexual adventures with older women, basically. A fun read but a bit weird.

That sounds right up my alley.  Is your friend an Older Woman?  Perhaps she's sending you a not-so-subtle hint.

I'm currently reading one of Somerset Maugham's lesser works - The Magician.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

P

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 14, 2012, 04:59:42 am »
Ignore

I finished my Tolstoy short stories and now I'm about to finish a book called In Praise of Older Women. I made a deal with a female friend that we would recommend and lend each other a book and read until our next encounter. She gave me that, which is a strange Hungarian book chronicling a man's sexual adventures with older women, basically. A fun read but a bit weird.

That sounds right up my alley.  Is your friend an Older Woman?  Perhaps she's sending you a not-so-subtle hint.

I'm currently reading one of Somerset Maugham's lesser works - The Magician.

Yeah, I think it safe to say that you'd like it. It's not misogynistic though, which is what made is possible for me to enjoy it.

She is an older woman, yes. Tongue She is a quite strange person though. She invited me to come visit her at some point when I happened to be nearby (we normally live in different cities) and as we were having tea together she asked me if I had had expected to sleep with her upon coming there. I was very awkward and taken aback and sort of just muttered things and then she said that she would have but currently was in a too complicated situation to allow for an extra lover. Tongue

But that was 6 months ago, so I guess things might have changed.
Just began Shame by Salman Rushdie. Very entertaining read so far.
Oh yes.

So, I've finished it and thought it was pretty awesome. I happened to be in a book store yesterday to buy a gift for my dad and stumbled upon several Rushdie books that I very spontaneously bought. What did you think of it and how do you interpret it?

As a side note having had a taste of his sarcasm (this was my first Rushdie) I totally understand that he would get a fatwa against him. The man is a total asshole. And I mean that in the good way.

------------------

Latest is that I'm reading Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. Awesome read so far, highly entertaining.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:07 am »
Ignore

Our Man in Havana is DONE. Now on to something else, haven't decided what yet though.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:58 am »
Ignore

It's his earliest IIRC, and certainly one of his angrier books. I've read quite a few of his, but not everything, and I didn't like everything I've read. (Also, Rushdie's German translations are horrid and unreadable. Though I don't think I checked the later books' German versions as I could get those in English at the library. I think some of the early ones were translated in a rush during the Fatwa controversy, and rushed translations always suck royal circumsized balls. That I never got far with Midnight's Children is at least partly due to the translation. They don't stock it in English.) But I liked this one a lot when I read it. Been a few years though.

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:17 am »
Ignore

It's his earliest IIRC, and certainly one of his angrier books. I've read quite a few of his, but not everything, and I didn't like everything I've read. (Also, Rushdie's German translations are horrid and unreadable. Though I don't think I checked the later books' German versions as I could get those in English at the library. I think some of the early ones were translated in a rush during the Fatwa controversy, and rushed translations always suck royal circumsized balls. That I never got far with Midnight's Children is at least partly due to the translation. They don't stock it in English.) But I liked this one a lot when I read it. Been a few years though.

Don't you mean Rushdied? Tongue

Ok, sorry about that. Anyway, it isn't the earliest but it's certainly early. I think it is the second after Midnight's Children, because the cover of my copy references that.

I agree on translations. Ever since my English became good enough I make a point out of reading all English novels in English.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 15, 2012, 07:14:07 am »
Ignore

Don't you mean Rushdied? Tongue

Ok, sorry about that. Anyway, it isn't the earliest but it's certainly early. I think it is the second after Midnight's Children, because the cover of my copy references that.

I agree on translations. Ever since my English became good enough I make a point out of reading all English novels in English.
(wikies) apparently Children is second and Shame is third.

🍁 Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »
Ignore

Here Comes Trouble - Michael Moore Cheesy

Bought it used from the library yesterday (used) for $2. Already half way done. Turns out my Mom had bought it for my birthday as well, and was a little upset, but I had no idea :/

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:23 pm »
Ignore

The Massie trilogy, currently partway through Nicholas and Alexandra having finished the other 2.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H.L. Mencken
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2012, 06:25:24 am »
Ignore

Letter from the Earth by Mark Twain. It's pretty hilarious!

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »
Ignore

I would have to buy it

I shelled out the $22 for the P/V today after reading the clumsy Garnett for 2 books.

Rooney
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 18, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
Ignore

Currently I am reading The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days that Shook the Union by John and Charles Lockwood. The two brothers are wonderful story tellers and give a fine tour of Washington City in spring 1861.

Political Matrix:
Economic score: +8.65
Social score: -8.00
angus
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 18, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »
Ignore

Jean-Paul Sartre's "The Age of Reason."

At first it was toilet seat reading, but the Cable Guy came over this morning--connected the internet, finally, and gave us 300+ channels of garbage.  I suppose this will cost an arm and a leg, but it's good to be back in touch.  Anyway, he noticed the book splayed, spine down, on a box in the basement and commented on it.  Apparently he'd read it because he was very well versed on it and had a detailed analysis regarding the development of characters.  We discussed it somewhat, but I felt a bit guilty that I was only on page 42 at the time.  Since then I've read another 30 pages.  I relate to Mathieu.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:44 am »
Ignore

Jean-Paul Sartre's "The Age of Reason."

At first it was toilet seat reading, but the Cable Guy came over this morning--connected the internet, finally, and gave us 300+ channels of garbage.  I suppose this will cost an arm and a leg, but it's good to be back in touch.  Anyway, he noticed the book splayed, spine down, on a box in the basement and commented on it.  Apparently he'd read it because he was very well versed on it and had a detailed analysis regarding the development of characters.  We discussed it somewhat, but I felt a bit guilty that I was only on page 42 at the time.  Since then I've read another 30 pages.  I relate to Mathieu.

yeah read that.  good book.  you would suffer from clinical depression without red wine, much like Sartre, read it, relate, and become a Communist

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
Ignore

Joanna Bourke: What it means to be human: Reflections since 1791. Excellent even if a bit too poststructuralist for my liking. But very readable.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:32 pm »
Ignore

Can't stand her myself, though perhaps that goes without saying...

...actually there are other reasons as well, but it's more fun to be a crusader or something.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:35 am »
Ignore

Currently reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom
View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:48 am »
Ignore

Read The Communist Manifesto last week as a short flight/airport read, about to start A Very British Coup.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout